HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How do I go about picking a NHL team to be a fan of?

Old
10-22-2008, 03:07 AM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
I agree with some other posters...I would follow the Caps. They are a pretty exciting team and since you live near them, I think it fits.

Being able to go to your favorite team's games is a big advantage IMO.

Always happy to see another fan. For me it was easy to choose which team to follow with the Ducks being less than twenty minutes away.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 03:15 AM
metalan2

vCash: 500
why not the Capitals? you can wtach them develop into a great team. You are right there anyways!

Also - how about the Penguins - the Caps nemesis and big brother. You will surely piss off some caps fans cheering on Crosby and Malkin over Ovechkin

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 03:26 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestk View Post
My last thread just got closed...didn't mean for it to cause trouble, honest! I grew up in the DC area following hockey off and on, but was never a big fan of the Caps. Lost interest about a year before the lockout and pretty much up until this year.

I really want a team to call my own, and I don't want to be accused of bandwagoning, either. I like team history and big, dedicated fanbases...unfortunately, this is pretty much only found in Canada!

I have played in a fictional fantasy hockey league (www.myrpha.com) for about ten years with the same guys, and about 75% of them are die hard Habs fans. Being around them has sparked my interest in finding a team I really care for, whether it be the Habs or not.

It's a simple question, but I'm dying to know: how can I become a true fan of a NHL team? Can an American be a fan of a Canadian team, even if they've never seen the arena/team play in person? How did you come to love the team you like the most?
You don't get to choose. One is chosen for you.

You have to first drink one of Masao's food concoctions. During the digestion of Masao's food you will have a vision of what your team will be (along with a trip to the ER following said vision).

That will be your team for life....or until they're sold.

Old
10-22-2008, 03:51 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Just figure out what teams brings what you like to watch. Speed, toughness, fights, saves goals...

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 03:55 AM
PeterAngelo
Adopt-a-stray today!

Quote:
It's a simple question, but I'm dying to know: how can I become a true fan of a NHL team? Can an American be a fan of a Canadian team, even if they've never seen the arena/team play in person? How did you come to love the team you like the most?
I don't think it matters where you come from. I'd hate to think people from outside of North America or US fans of Canadian teams and vice versa are thought of as not being true fans despite that fact they never get to see a game. My advice is take your time making your pick because once you make it, don't go switching.

PeterAngelo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:26 AM
smetana

You take 30 slips of paper, a pencil, and a hat...

IMPORTANT: If the slip you pick says Philadelphia, make sure no-one's looking and pick again.

smetana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:47 AM
p_macc1987

Send a message via MSN to p_macc1987
Love the sport thats the most important thing, as long as your a hockey fan. then the team comes after that...just take your time and watch a lot of hockey then decide

p_macc1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Paxton Fettel

Quote:
My last thread just got closed...didn't mean for it to cause trouble, honest! I grew up in the DC area following hockey off and on, but was never a big fan of the Caps. Lost interest about a year before the lockout and pretty much up until this year.

I really want a team to call my own, and I don't want to be accused of bandwagoning, either. I like team history and big, dedicated fanbases...unfortunately, this is pretty much only found in Canada!

I have played in a fictional fantasy hockey league (www.myrpha.com) for about ten years with the same guys, and about 75% of them are die hard Habs fans. Being around them has sparked my interest in finding a team I really care for, whether it be the Habs or not.

same question as : how do I choose who I fall in love with?

well, you just do, but it's not something you can control.

there is no answer to your question.

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:11 AM
mapes

I was an Anaheim fan when I was young and I started just watching players and Toronto gets the most attention. Therefor, I started watching Mats Sundin when he got traded and then began liking the Leafs and am now a "diehard" fan. I'd suggest just doing the same. You may like some players Caps have.

For history, has to be Montreal and Toronto. Toronto has more loyalty and Montreal has more history. The 2 biggest fanbases. With Toronto, however, lots of other fans will hate you I like it that way though

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:12 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by smetana View Post
You take 30 slips of paper, a pencil, and a hat...

IMPORTANT: If the slip you pick says Philadelphia, make sure no-one's looking and pick again.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Doctor House

Quote:
Can an American be a fan of a Canadian team, even if they've never seen the arena/team play in person? How did you come to love the team you like the most?
I'm American living in Montreal and we are well represented

Higgins, Komisarek, Bouillon, Pacioretty & McDonagh

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Bloggins

Cheer for your hometown team.

And if not them.... then any other team except Montreal and Toronto.

Bloggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Strummergas

If you're a masochist, I suggest rooting for the Islanders. As a fan, they've been causing me pain for the better part of 2 decades.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:45 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
It's like girls, you don't "choose" who to fall in love with, it is an emotion that will come, I could never pick a team and then cheer at them, it wouldn't feel natural and real. Sports without emotions is just like sex without emotions

Maelmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:23 AM
tylerbear*

Jump on the Blackhawk's bandwagon.

tylerbear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:33 AM
HNJB*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom2Ovechkin View Post
This is how i see it. If you don't already have a team in a sport, but want a team, choose the team convenient geographically. This is so when you end up really liking the team, you can go to games regularly. and you will be around other fans of the team.

In my mind the there are only a couple reasons to be an out of town fan:

1. you hate the hometown team for some sort of reason
2. you grew up somewhere else and liked that team or you grew up rooting for the "family team" (your family is from boston but you grew up in california so they all root for the bruins, pats, celts, and sox)

example: I live in the dc area. I have been a caps, skins, and wizards fan from birth, but never got into baseball. The nationals just move here i adopt them as my team now that I am getting into baseball.

So if you plan on living in the dc area after school choose the caps, or you can wait and figure out where you will relocate and choose them and for now just be a fan of the sport and go to some columbus games and go to some games back home, and go to some games while at graduate school.
Well I live in Calgary and am a diehard Sabres fan. I have never lived or even visited to the city of Buffalo, and am only this year going to my first ever live Sabres game(in Anaheim). The FLames just don't do it for me. Chering for the home team makes sense, but if you don't feel it then go on a hunt. I was between LA and Buffalo but I went with the Sabre because it just felt right. It was as if all 30 teams auditioned(I watched games of all teams) and Buffalo impressed the most.

HNJB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:39 AM
CrossbarSniper*

If you want an American team, your best choice is the Wild, Red Wings, Rangers, Sabres and Bruins as far as good and dedicated fanbases. Every team has a dedicated fanbase, but those teams are probably bigger than most right now in America.

In Canada they all have huge fanbases.

From what I've seen, heard ect..I'd rank the Canadian fanbases like this.

Biggest = Leafs
Smartest = Flames
Most passionate = Habs
Suicidal = Canucks
Schitzophrenic (sp?) = Oilers
Spoiled = Senators

CrossbarSniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
Cheer for your hometown team.

And if not them.... then any other team except Montreal and Toronto.
Agreed on all counts. Hopefully this thread doesn't turn into another Habs fans talking about great Habs fans are (though I do like their team).

I'd just say stick with Washington. Hometown team, up and coming, and they've got an awesome player in Ovechkin and an exciting style of play.

I'd also take a look at the Blackhawks or the Kings. Young teams with bright futures that you can watch grow.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:42 AM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polak View Post
Oilers will the cup
I heard they accidently the whole thing

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Bill McNeal

Pick a really crappy team so

a) You get used to losing because all fan-bases have to go through it eventually.
b) You get to watch their transition from bottom-feeder to contender (ideally).

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:08 AM
scud9

Go for the Underdogs!

For me it's been very easy to cheer for the Underdogs. Maybe that's why I became Blackhawks fan in early 90s. Nowadays I'm also behind the Bruins and during the last season I grew up liking the game of Phoenix... So maybe I don't have a one team but here in Finland it doesn't really matter.

scud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:16 AM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitWhat View Post
My personal opinion is that it's the most fun to watch a team develop. Therefore, if you are going to pick a team and there is no criteria, I would look for a team that has great young talent and excitement about hockey in their city. Sounded like you were more into being an American hockey team fan from the original post also. With all of that combined and as impartial as possible, I would go with someone like the Chicago Blackhawks.
Good point. I was gonna come here and suggest the Kings, but then I saw he was looking for somewhere with a large and passionate fanbase... It's great to cheer for a team that is either loved or hated in the region you live, but don't make that the only thing to consider.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Lokomotiv Moskva

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:19 AM
one2gamble

Your only a bandwagoner if you stop following the team when they start to suck, and they will start to suck at some point.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

If you can afford it and don't already subscribe, I would get Center Ice and watch a good sampling of hockey from various markets. Keep at it and see what grabs you in terms of styles of play, personalities, etc. Eventually, you'll settle on a team you enjoy watching.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote