HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How do I go about picking a NHL team to be a fan of?

Old
10-22-2008, 09:32 AM
SteelCitySenator

vCash: 500
Meh I live in the US and I cheer for a Canadian team, it dosent really matter.

If I were a new fan, I would definatly cheer for the Coyotes or the Kings(I already do enough as it is). Just fun to watch young up and comming teams develop.

SteelCitySenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:07 AM
TCIH

vCash: 883
My only advice would be to follow a team that you can watch and get involved with on a regular basis. It's not really an issue if you have Center Ice, but if there's a local feed for a team in your area, stick with them. It makes things easier when you can see the team you follow on a regular basis rather than once a week/month.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Luigi Lemieux

pick a bad team so you can experience them evolve from crappy to elite. it will make it more satisfying. suggestions: islanders, panthers, lightning, leafs.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:40 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossbarSniper View Post
If you want an American team, your best choice is the Wild, Red Wings, Rangers, Sabres and Bruins as far as good and dedicated fanbases. Every team has a dedicated fanbase, but those teams are probably bigger than most right now in America.

In Canada they all have huge fanbases.

From what I've seen, heard ect..I'd rank the Canadian fanbases like this.

Biggest = Leafs
Smartest = Flames
Most passionate = Habs
Suicidal = Canucks
Schitzophrenic (sp?) = Oilers
Spoiled = Senators
Don't you mean...

Fools = Leafs (Really. People still buy tickets and they sell out dispite the fact that they haven't won a cup or had an uberly powerful team in 30 years)
Most proud = Habs
Biggest band wagon jumpers(sorry but i lived in vancouver for a decade. I'd know) = Canucks
Loyal = Oilers
Don't know what to make of Sen and flames fans.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
Yeah, because booing players who didn't sign with them in the summer is a class act.
But mostly you'll find idiots like this guy who spend all their days and night trying to bash our fanbase.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Radical Yzerlamic
HFBoards Sponsor

Start at the bottom with the Bolts. It will make it that much sweeter for you when they win their next cup.

Radical Yzerlamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
CrossbarSniper*

Why don't you just pick two teams. Root for your hometown team, the Caps. But pick another team, like a Canadian one.

I'm an Islander fan who also follows the Oilers.

CrossbarSniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
smetana
B2B2B2B HA Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickSP0 View Post
Start at the bottom with the Bolts. It will make it that much sweeter for you when they win their next cup.
You're assuming he'll live that long?

smetana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:08 PM
GIN ANTONIC

I agree with the posters saying to keep looking around. There's always alot of pressure to "join the home team" If you're more into fitting in more than into the actual hockey then this is a fine thing to do. The thing is the Caps actually have a very good team so it's not a bad choice, but it's not the only one. You must have some players you like, so I'd say start there. i think once you figure out what kind of team and what style really wows you then you'll be on the right path. All I can say is NEVER choose a team just because everyone one else around you is cheering for them. That's my 2 cents anyway. I think you'll figure it out.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestk View Post
My last thread just got closed...didn't mean for it to cause trouble, honest! I grew up in the DC area following hockey off and on, but was never a big fan of the Caps. Lost interest about a year before the lockout and pretty much up until this year.

I really want a team to call my own, and I don't want to be accused of bandwagoning, either. I like team history and big, dedicated fanbases...unfortunately, this is pretty much only found in Canada!

I have played in a fictional fantasy hockey league (www.myrpha.com) for about ten years with the same guys, and about 75% of them are die hard Habs fans. Being around them has sparked my interest in finding a team I really care for, whether it be the Habs or not.

It's a simple question, but I'm dying to know: how can I become a true fan of a NHL team? Can an American be a fan of a Canadian team, even if they've never seen the arena/team play in person? How did you come to love the team you like the most?
Pick a team with great a uniform/logo and that has the finances to compete. A great logo is key because you want to be able to buy good looking jerseys, hats etc. The finances to compete in the NHL is key otherwise your team will always suck. All Canadian teams are OK and some of the bigger market US teams are fine too.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal, Max Talbot, Sergei Gonchar, Ryan Whitney, Brooks Orpik, Marc-Andre Fleury.

What's not to love?

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:18 PM
mikjo344

Quote:
It's a simple question, but I'm dying to know: how can I become a true fan of a NHL team?
IMO you can't really pick a team, somehow along the way, the team picks you. I don't think you can force that. Why not just settle for loving the game and appreciate great plays in general rather than trying to like a specific team.

mikjo344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:24 PM
hottytoddy

Don't pick the Sabres, I still have nightmares about a certain skate in the crease and Brett Hull smiling while holding the cup. You know how crushing that is to a 12 year old? For your own sake avoid at all costs.

hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
pick a bad team so you can experience them evolve from crappy to elite. it will make it more satisfying. suggestions: islanders, panthers, lightning, leafs.
Come on, the guy is probably not a masochist. If you're a fan of some teams, you have to be a masochist or have really dark humour to survive. Both would be a good combo.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:35 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
My last thread just got closed...didn't mean for it to cause trouble, honest! I grew up in the DC area following hockey off and on, but was never a big fan of the Caps. Lost interest about a year before the lockout and pretty much up until this year.

I really want a team to call my own, and I don't want to be accused of bandwagoning, either. I like team history and big, dedicated fanbases...unfortunately, this is pretty much only found in Canada!

I have played in a fictional fantasy hockey league (www.myrpha.com) for about ten years with the same guys, and about 75% of them are die hard Habs fans. Being around them has sparked my interest in finding a team I really care for, whether it be the Habs or not.

It's a simple question, but I'm dying to know: how can I become a true fan of a NHL team? Can an American be a fan of a Canadian team, even if they've never seen the arena/team play in person? How did you come to love the team you like the most?

Im a Sens fan who grew up in Michigan his entire life, and entire family are Wings fans. Ive only been to games IN Ottawa twice, but have been to a ton of Sens away games. I picked them because when I really started following hockey, the Sens became an expansion team, and were brand new so I picked them. I also liked the Nordiques a little bit too when younger, but that was done when they moved to Colorado. Although I always gave my family **** when Colorado beat Detroit, since they hated Colorado and I didnt care too much. I still use my Nordiques tri fold velcrow wallet that ive had FOREVER, I have no clue how I havent had a ton of money and credit cards fall out yet, but I refuse to stop using it.

So im a fan who has rarely ever been to Ottawa, and an American whos been cheering for a Canadian team for 14 years now or so.

The thing is, it will probably come to you on your own. Youll see yourself caring about a team more than all of the others if you get something like the CI package.

Last edited by PeterSidorkiewicz: 10-22-2008 at 02:42 PM.
PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 05:36 PM
forrestk

In addition to watching as many games as possible, is NHL 09 also a good way to learn more about the teams and figure out the right fit for me?

forrestk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
In addition to watching as many games as possible, is NHL 09 also a good way to learn more about the teams and figure out the right fit for me?
it can be, one of the main reasons I am a Pens fan is because back on some NHL game I used to have (forget what year it was now) it was so easy to win by dominating with Jagr and Mario so when it came to following the real thing I was drawn to those two. NHL 09 won't give you very much actual hockey knowledge but it may give you a bit of a bond between you and a few players or a particular team, do you use one team on NHL 09 regularly?, or is there a few players you enjoy using or find yourself scoring a lot of goals with? if so you may want to watch them do their thing in real life and see if you enjoy the show

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Choose the team that is winning the most at any given time.

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:11 PM
TheGoalJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
Yeah, because booing players who didn't sign with them in the summer is a class act.
he said best not classiest. BOOOO

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:13 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
In Russia the team picks you.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
you don't even necessarily have to pick a team. Just find some players you like. Love the game for what it is. Who says you have to pick a team anyways?
Some people feel the need to force themselves to become part of a group rather than be a person making individual choices. If you need to go out and pick a team to be a fan of (and ask other people to help you do it, no less), then you're doing it wrong.

Richie Daggers Crime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:24 PM
rye&ginger

The Caps are looking like a great team for the next several years so there is no reason to not pick them, and since its your hometown its natural. Simple really.

Read this, AO is a reason to pick the Caps.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcspo..._a_segway.html

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:26 PM
SSK*

Montreal if you smoke pole

SSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1. Hometown

2. Favorite player that makes you like Hockey (if it wasn't for Bobby Orr, the Bruins wouldn't have close to the fanbase they do today)

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:57 PM
orangeshinpads
Katz isa manipulator

Canadian teams...

Montreal: Good team, young talent, skill
Edmonton: Good team, depth, character, young talent
Toronto: ahem...
Calgary: Iginla, puck persuit, sound positional play
Vancouver: Ok team, Somewhat boring, Luongo's great
Ottawa: Who knows what they'll do, but seem unreliable in playoffs

IMO Montreal, and Edmonton - the two best teams in Canada right now - also have the most passionate fans.

You can say Calgary is going to be good, but they won't be half as fun to watch as Edm. or Mtl. Plus Kipper seems to have lost the magic.

It seems like you might discount western teams based on geography. If so, Mtl or Ott. I'd choose Mtl.
There's nothing better than a team with young talent, so Mtl, Edm, Wash....

orangeshinpads is offline   Reply With Quote