HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Milan Lucic vs Guillaume Latendresse

View Poll Results: Which player would you rather have on your team?
Milan Lucic 272 77.94%
Guillaume Latendresse 77 22.06%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Orange

vCash: 500
After last year's playoff, I would of picked Lucie. But Gui-doune's newfound speed (and the fact he's currently 5th in the NHL for hits) is a game changer. Too early/close to call imho. I'll reserve my vote until the end of the season.

Old
10-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Next Best Thing*

Latendresse is so underrated, this is proof.

Old
10-23-2008, 08:06 AM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
Time will tell I guess.
Fair enough...
I have never been a Latendresse fan, and neither was 50%+ of the Habs board during last years playoffs (Yes, I read Montreal's and Toronto's board. It's like a Soap-Opera for Bruins fans). I like my big-forwards to play big. I am also not a fan of Boston's 1st round pick this year, Joe Colborne. Maybe he'll put on some weight and play like a big guy, but I'm not going to believe it until I see it.

Habs fans were eating there own last year after seeing Lucic in the playoffs. And most Boston fans will say he was the 2nd or 3rd best forward for us in last years playtoffs (along with Kessel and Savard).

Old
10-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Latendresse is so underrated, this is proof.
Or maybe Lucic's just better?

Old
10-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Montreal Shadow

How about, even or neither options? I despise both and I think they're trash.

Old
10-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

I'd like to have a "Need more time to decide" option. Just too many variables in their games still left to be decided, so I have no idea which one might be better in the longrun.

Old
10-23-2008, 09:17 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
Fair enough...
I have never been a Latendresse fan, and neither was 50%+ of the Habs board during last years playoffs (Yes, I read Montreal's and Toronto's board. It's like a Soap-Opera for Bruins fans). I like my big-forwards to play big. I am also not a fan of Boston's 1st round pick this year, Joe Colborne. Maybe he'll put on some weight and play like a big guy, but I'm not going to believe it until I see it.

Habs fans were eating there own last year after seeing Lucic in the playoffs. And most Boston fans will say he was the 2nd or 3rd best forward for us in last years playtoffs (along with Kessel and Savard).
I admit that I've never been a big Lats fan either when he first came into the league and last year. He just looked so clumsy when he skated and the effort just didn't seem to be there. However, this year, he has improved his skating and for now, is putting in a very good effort. It's that effort and working on his weak points that show that he should only improve. I'm not taking anything away from Lucic either, he's a banger and fighter that the Bruin fans have already fallen in love with. I like what he brings to the game, but I just don't see the offensive side being as high as Lats. Like I said, time will tell I guess.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
Old
10-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I am a habs fan and I take Lucic easily over Lats. No one in the league is as over-rated as Latendresse. The guy is a marshmellow who absorbs assists and great setup chances from Koivu. In his spare time(during games) he enjoys floating around on the ice pondering the meaning of life and hamburgers.
To be fair, Latendresse is currently 7th in the league for hits, 3rd amongst forwards. Who knows if he can keep it up, but it really isn't fair to call him a soft floater so far this year.

Old
10-23-2008, 09:50 AM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
To be fair, Latendresse is currently 7th in the league for hits, 3rd amongst forwards. Who knows if he can keep it up, but it really isn't fair to call him a soft floater so far this year.
lats is not a soft floater and anyone who thinks so has zero ability to analyze pro talent. he can play lazy at times but what 21 year old doesn't? he's also 6'2 235. a big boy, and bigger power wingers take time to develop.

ask yourself this, if lats had lucic's mean streak who would you then choose?

it wouldn't even be close. lats would be on most people's list. lats has the far better offensive potential but lucic at this point has the jam and abrasiveness to his game. for the record, i'm a big lucic fan, except when he plays the habs

Old
10-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Or maybe Lucic's just better?
Way to have an argument

So far this year, Latendresse is outscoring (x2), outhitting him, and bascially being more useful than him to his team.

I guess he's not better after all.

Old
10-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Admiral*

Lucic, easily.

Old
10-23-2008, 01:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

ill take Lucic.
Latendresse seems to be overrated by Hab fans. I am just not seeing that 30 goal potential in him at all.

Old
10-23-2008, 01:35 PM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
different players - imo - any team would be lucky to have either

But Lucic still has a ways to go - he had a pretty decent year last year and although he only has 3 points in 6 games, he's improving and was (maybe will continue to) play with Savard & Ryder while Axe was briefly out. he's always going to try and get better, has one of those 'no quit' attitudes (or so it seems from interviews, watching him and meeting him) - while I never expect him to continually put up 30/35 goals seasons as some here say, he might have one where he hits 30, but I do see him as a 50 point kind of guy with 80 or so PIMs per year.

Old
10-23-2008, 02:39 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
ask yourself this, if lats had lucic's mean streak who would you then choose?
And if Joe Thornton had Neely's mean streak he'd be Eric Lindros without the concussions.

If Latendresse played the game the same way Lucic does and still had the hands he does, he would of been a higher pick. Instead he looks more like Oleg Kvasha to me then Lucic.

The point Latendresse doesn't have Lucic's mean streak, so you have no point in the real world. You might have a point in a parallel universe where everyone lives in the land of 'make-believe' but not here.

Old
10-23-2008, 03:06 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
And if Joe Thornton had Neely's mean streak he'd be Eric Lindros without the concussions.

If Latendresse played the game the same way Lucic does and still had the hands he does, he would of been a higher pick. Instead he looks more like Oleg Kvasha to me then Lucic.

The point Latendresse doesn't have Lucic's mean streak, so you have no point in the real world. You might have a point in a parallel universe where everyone lives in the land of 'make-believe' but not here.
I'm not sure what you're saying with your comments. Lats was drafted 45th and Lucic 50th. What's the point about a parallel universe and the real world? Are you saying that if you don't have a mean streak you shouldn't be in the real world?

Old
10-23-2008, 03:33 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying with your comments. Lats was drafted 45th and Lucic 50th. What's the point about a parallel universe and the real world? Are you saying that if you don't have a mean streak you shouldn't be in the real world?
emb24 was trying to make the point that: "ask yourself this, if lats had lucic's mean streak who would you then choose? it wouldn't even be close."

The point is, All players have flays in their games. Latendresse is not a tough guy. He's a soft big guy. Lucic is a below-average finisher right now. If Lucic was a much better finisher he would of been a much higher pick. If Latendresse played like Todd Bertuzzi, he would of been drafted much higher. When voting on this poll, I hope people take each players flaws into account.

This is the real world, you can't make statements like: "If Player A had the mean streak of Player B, who would you take?" Maybe in Make-Believe-Land you can have these discussions but not here. It's no different then saying: "How many Super Bowls would Dan Marino of won if he had Jerry Rice?"

Player A is soft and doesn't have the mean streak of Player B. I can not think of one player that developed a mean streak. I can think of multiply players that improved their staking, strength, and finishing.

Old
10-23-2008, 04:07 PM
NewEnglandSportsFan*

Send a message via AIM to NewEnglandSportsFan*
Quote:
Way to have an argument

So far this year, Latendresse is outscoring (x2), outhitting him, and bascially being more useful than him to his team.

wow, so far this year!?! in all of what, 5 games!? lol

I would easily take lucic, and I'd be more than happy if he gets 20 goals a year.

Lats is way overrated, tbh. And i'm not saying that as a Bruins fan, but as a hockey fan...

Old
10-23-2008, 05:15 PM
HunterSThompson

quick OT question. does lucic have a humpback, because he looks freakin weird especially in person out on the ice, he looks all hunched over. He is a force and a good player though.

Old
10-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
different players - imo - any team would be lucky to have either

But Lucic still has a ways to go - he had a pretty decent year last year and although he only has 3 points in 6 games, he's improving and was (maybe will continue to) play with Savard & Ryder while Axe was briefly out. he's always going to try and get better, has one of those 'no quit' attitudes (or so it seems from interviews, watching him and meeting him) - while I never expect him to continually put up 30/35 goals seasons as some here say, he might have one where he hits 30, but I do see him as a 50 point kind of guy with 80 or so PIMs per year.
I agree completely with the bolded part.

Montreal fans were desperately hoping Latendresse could play with Lucic's mean streak but after two years of frustration, it looks as though Latendresse is coming into his own this season. That is, a sort of Erik Cole type of player. A guy who will hit a lot, and is capable of 30g/30a, but who will not play that PF intimidation style of game. His skating finally seems up to an acceptable level and it's made a tremendous difference to his overall impact on in a given game.

Lucic should be a solid 20g/20a guy, but his energy, determination and overall physical abilities will always make him more valuable than just the points he puts up. I think his offensive upside may have been slightly overrated, but there are genuine reasons to be excited about what he brings to the table. His size and physical play are an asset whether he plays a top 6 role or a bottom 6 role.

One thing to keep in mind is that Latendresse if further along his development so the comparison could be off for the next few years as both players move towards their full potential and both will have ups and downs. But that's natural, he's 1 year older and had 1 extra year in the NHL.

This year, I think 25g/25a is a distinct possibility for Latendresse as he is playing great hockey on a line with Koivu and Tanguay and he should benefit from significant PP time. I have no idea what to expect numbers wise from Lucic, but I know he'll continue to be an impact player for the Bruins. Without trying to sound negative I think 15g/20a should be viewed as a positive season for him and he can keep building his offensive game. He won't be asked to carry the team offensively, which should help him improve his all-around game.

Old
10-23-2008, 08:35 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
emb24 was trying to make the point that: "ask yourself this, if lats had lucic's mean streak who would you then choose? it wouldn't even be close."

The point is, All players have flays in their games. Latendresse is not a tough guy. He's a soft big guy. Lucic is a below-average finisher right now. If Lucic was a much better finisher he would of been a much higher pick. If Latendresse played like Todd Bertuzzi, he would of been drafted much higher. When voting on this poll, I hope people take each players flaws into account.

This is the real world, you can't make statements like: "If Player A had the mean streak of Player B, who would you take?" Maybe in Make-Believe-Land you can have these discussions but not here. It's no different then saying: "How many Super Bowls would Dan Marino of won if he had Jerry Rice?"

Player A is soft and doesn't have the mean streak of Player B. I can not think of one player that developed a mean streak. I can think of multiply players that improved their staking, strength, and finishing.

Thanks, now I understand where you were coming from. There is only one point that I don't agree with when you talk about Lats and that's being soft. He's definately not on the same level of toughness of Lucic, but he's no Craig Janney either. He hits and hits often, but with no bad intentions(to make you pay, not dirty shots) like Lucic.

Old
10-23-2008, 08:54 PM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom2Ovechkin View Post
quick OT question. does lucic have a humpback, because he looks freakin weird especially in person out on the ice, he looks all hunched over. He is a force and a good player though.
Yeah, he's got a condition that makes his spined curved. If he didn't have it, he'd be two inches taller (6'5), but it doesn't affect his ability to play in any way.

Old
10-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Way to have an argument

Aaron Voros has more goals than Sidney Crosby.

Sample sizes, lawl.

Old
10-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Aaron Voros has more goals than Sidney Crosby.

Sample sizes, lawl.
its about the same sample size that bruins fans bring up when they mention how much better lucic was than latendresse in last years playoffs.

Old
10-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I don't see 30+ goal potential in Latendresse. I think he tops out at about Ryan Malone level offensively.

Old
10-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
I don't see 30+ goal potential in Latendresse. I think he tops out at about Ryan Malone level offensively.
If Latendresse doesn't have 30g potential, in your eyes, then Lucic shouldn't even have 15g potential, 'nuff said.

Closed Thread