HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

A St. Louis Defenseman

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2008, 09:14 AM
  #1
Jeffro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 803
vCash: 500
A St. Louis Defenseman

As of today, the Blues have 10 healthy defensemen who should be in the NHL -

Eric Brewer
Barret Jackman
Jay McKee
Roman Polak
Steve Wagner
Alex Pietrangelo
Mike Weaver
Jeff Woywitka
Jonas Junland
David Koci

Granted, Koci was playing forward in Tampa, but the Blues' press release called him a defenseman, so for purposes of discussion, there he is. Pietrangelo is obviously not going anywhere, and Jackman and Brewer are not available save for a pretty sizable overpayment (and probably not even then). Depth is almost never a bad thing, but having to play two of Wagner, Polak and Junland in the AHL and/or send Petro back to juniors would seem to be bad for the development of those guys. So, yeah, toss some ideas around. The Blues are probably looking for picks and prospects, though if Berglund is struggling in 10-15 games, we can talk second line forwards.

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:44 AM
  #2
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Beukeboom Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
As of today, the Blues have 10 healthy defensemen who should be in the NHL -

Eric Brewer
Barret Jackman
Jay McKee
Roman Polak
Steve Wagner
Alex Pietrangelo
Mike Weaver
Jeff Woywitka
Jonas Junland
David Koci

Granted, Koci was playing forward in Tampa, but the Blues' press release called him a defenseman, so for purposes of discussion, there he is. Pietrangelo is obviously not going anywhere, and Jackman and Brewer are not available save for a pretty sizable overpayment (and probably not even then). Depth is almost never a bad thing, but having to play two of Wagner, Polak and Junland in the AHL and/or send Petro back to juniors would seem to be bad for the development of those guys. So, yeah, toss some ideas around. The Blues are probably looking for picks and prospects, though if Berglund is struggling in 10-15 games, we can talk second line forwards.
1) Not sure how it's bad for a guys development to send them back to junior? How many 18 or 19 YO defenseman do you see in the NHL? Wouldn't it be better to get those guys 25+ minutes a night and let them physically develop rather than have them get 12-15 minutes on the 3rd pair in STL?
2) Is it just me, or would Woywitka make ti through waivers?
3) Koci is utterly incapable of playing on the blueline. He'd get torched more than Dresden did in WWII.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:48 AM
  #3
Jeffro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 803
vCash: 500
1. I think that's generally true, but not true in this instance. Petro doesn't have much physical maturing to do. It's getting used to the speed of the pro game and getting used to all the mental stuff (the travel, the pressure and so on) that are more important in his development right now.

2. He might. He has before. He'll probably be waived today. But he's too good to be in the AHL. Waste of an asset.

3. Believe me, I know.

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:58 AM
  #4
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
Granted, Koci was playing forward in Tampa, but the Blues' press release called him a defenseman, so for purposes of discussion, there he is. Pietrangelo is obviously not going anywhere, and Jackman and Brewer are not available save for a pretty sizable overpayment (and probably not even then). Depth is almost never a bad thing, but having to play two of Wagner, Polak and Junland in the AHL and/or send Petro back to juniors would seem to be bad for the development of those guys. So, yeah, toss some ideas around. The Blues are probably looking for picks and prospects, though if Berglund is struggling in 10-15 games, we can talk second line forwards.
Koci is a forward and not a Dman.

Judging from the Leafs game I'd send Wagner and Polak to the AHL & Pietrangelo to the OHL. That leaves six defenseman.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:12 AM
  #5
bustoff
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
I'd keep Polak over Weaver. I still don't get Murray calling Polak a "heavy weight". I have'nt seen that many big hits little alone a fight from him.

bustoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:14 AM
  #6
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!
 
Stealth JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Safari Motor Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 6,196
vCash: 500
Pola'k has been one of the Blues best 3 defensemen on any given night, he's going nowhere...nor are Jackman, McKee or Brewer if the Blues have any playoff aspirations.

Weaver is likely AHL bound, as I imagine would be Junland or Wagner. Personally I'd send down Wagner. Your top guys would then be:

Brewer - Polak
Jackman - Pietrangelo
McKee - Junland/Wagner
Woywitka

There is no need to trade anybody. If the Blues want to get all of Junland, Wagner & Woywitka into the lineup, then Pietrangelo goes back to Niagara. Otherwise, the odd-man out of that 3-some is likely heading to Peoria...though Woywitka probalby has the inside track seeing as how the other 2 don't need to clear waivers.

Weaver and Koci should in no way factor in anyone being shipped out. Depth is a good thing to have, and an injury or two could quickly turn a strength of this club into a weakness. The question is more likely to become 'who leaves in the offseason?' when EJ returns to full-time duty and Pietrangelo is here to stay.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:18 AM
  #7
Oh Baby!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: STL
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
I'd keep Polak over Weaver. I still don't get Murray calling Polak a "heavy weight". I have'nt seen that many big hits little alone a fight from him.
He's only 6'1" 227lbs

but...

"Roman Polak bench pressed 335 pounds to lead the Blues during the club’s strength testing."

Oh Baby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:25 AM
  #8
Jeffro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Pola'k has been one of the Blues best 3 defensemen on any given night, he's going nowhere...nor are Jackman, McKee or Brewer if the Blues have any playoff aspirations.

Weaver is likely AHL bound, as I imagine would be Junland or Wagner. Personally I'd send down Wagner. Your top guys would then be:

Brewer - Polak
Jackman - Pietrangelo
McKee - Junland/Wagner
Woywitka

There is no need to trade anybody. If the Blues want to get all of Junland, Wagner & Woywitka into the lineup, then Pietrangelo goes back to Niagara. Otherwise, the odd-man out of that 3-some is likely heading to Peoria...though Woywitka probalby has the inside track seeing as how the other 2 don't need to clear waivers.

Weaver and Koci should in no way factor in anyone being shipped out. Depth is a good thing to have, and an injury or two could quickly turn a strength of this club into a weakness. The question is more likely to become 'who leaves in the offseason?' when EJ returns to full-time duty and Pietrangelo is here to stay.
I don't disagree with any of this. I was more thinking out loud than anything else. My expectation is that Weaver gets waived today and either Junland or Woywitka stays on IR.

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:34 AM
  #9
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,906
vCash: 50
Sorry to say, but unless you're trading one of your better dmen it's very unlikely anythings going to happen unless its on the waiver wire. A guy may be 'too good' for the AHL but that doesn't mean he's any better than 5-6-7th dman, which has little value. A good number of these guys are relative unknowns outside of St.Louis, but any Vancouver fan will know who Mike Weaver is, a servicable 6th/7th dman with no trade value. If that's your depth chart then those other guys behind him are waiver wire fodder.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.