HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 7: @ New Jersey, 10/22

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2008, 10:26 PM
  #201
daveskirtun
:o)
 
daveskirtun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,293
vCash: 920
Sorry the game went so badly for you guys, I really like playing the Stars, they're my second favorite team out west. Good luck until we meet again!

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:16 PM
  #202
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Us having no cap space is really biting us in the ass, I think we would have traded for a #4/5 right now (or signed Malik or something) if it wasn't for that.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:36 PM
  #203
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain
 
GentlemanOfLeisure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: East Windsor NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 500
I come in peace. Just an outsider's observation...

You guys have a very good team, you just miss Lehtinen and Zubov. Other than that, if Turco plays better, you guys shouldn't have a problem making the playoffs.

Avery though, looks like he's going through the motions.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:41 PM
  #204
Requoter
Registered User
 
Requoter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Thank god I didn't watch this game.

Requoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 12:09 AM
  #205
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,829
vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
And the Devils did tonight. There were several times I was wondering if the Stars blue line were tying their laces instead of trying to hold the line, including one where Niskanen looked dead that lead to a score.
Yeah - not to pile on or anything, but that Madden goal was a good example of the defense not closing the gap. Martin just stepped up uncontested and dished to center once the D shifted to him... from there Madden could walk straight in.

That just shouldn't ever happen - gotta slow them down coming into your zone with gap control and buy time for the backcheckers to do their job.

I also think it's sad to see Modano on the 3rd line... shouldn't he still be at the very least 2nd line center? I hope he's getting PP time on a regular basis regardless... he deserves that.

Better luck the rest of the way boys...

__________________

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 12:18 AM
  #206
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Yeah - not to pile on or anything, but that Madden goal was a good example of the defense not closing the gap. Martin just stepped up uncontested and dished to center once the D shifted to him... from there Madden could walk straight in.

That just shouldn't ever happen - gotta slow them down coming into your zone with gap control and buy time for the backcheckers to do their job.

I also think it's sad to see Modano on the 3rd line... shouldn't he still be at the very least 2nd line center? I hope he's getting PP time on a regular basis regardless... he deserves that.

Better luck the rest of the way boys...
That play and goal never happens if the ref calls the tripping call on the Devils D not 30 sec -1min before the goal is scored. Petersen was upended right in front of the ref and Dallas already being behind the 8ball that call should of been called. NJ played a good game and there is no doubting that...there is no question they were the better team but man you guys clutch and grab more than any team i have seen this year.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 12:59 AM
  #207
Kritter471
Registered User
 
Kritter471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Be nice, Addison. There were a lot of things not called on both teams.

RG - Modano is allegedly the third line center, but the Stars love to roll at least three lines, if not all four. He's still getting in the 15-17 minutes a game range, and he's been one of their most effective forwards thus far.

He's also stated he likes playing with the two rookies on his wings, so it seems like a win-win situation right now (except, you know, they're not winning).

You also hit the nail on the head with the Stars biggest problem - they're allowing opponents to gain speed through the neutral zone, and they're not able to deal with that speed in their own end. *kills them all*

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 01:45 AM
  #208
catters078
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,051
vCash: 500
im gonna have my whinge now too...

i think all of the off season people got far too carried away with how good niskanen, grossman and fistric actually are. They had a good rookie season but alot of there mistakes were saved by the likes of robidas and norstrom who made them look good..everyone thought we could go 82 with these 3 to carry a top minute load...and they are all (except maybe grossman) getting found out..theyre still boys and not ready ready to be top minute guys...

i know zubov missed most of last year and norstrom big chucks too. but when it came to big time playoff games, they were the ones who carried us against the big teams, and at the moment there not there and so we have a "b" grade defense plain and simple..

neither of these 3 players are ready for top minutes despte everyones opinions...bouchers been ordinary too, but with his injury interupted pre season and end to last season..im gonna wait till about the 12 game mark for him to get back to hoprfully his 06-07 self or at least signs he is on the way back up, which i still think he can be...but its time to stop thining these kids are ready to be top minutes guys on a defense first dallas team...when zubovs back i want something like this

zubov-robidas
daley-boucher
niskanen-grossman

the kids arent ready (on D) so its time to lean on our veterans to get us through this tough time and hopefully be over 500 come chistmas...otherwise i will be worried....

Ok so theres my rant...might not be accurate or make sense an im sure ill read it tomorrow and think im wrong hehe...but i wanted to vent a little...

Come on STARS get back on track!!

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 07:35 AM
  #209
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Mr Bojanglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: From Jersey w/ Love
Country: United States
Posts: 10,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
I come in peace. Just an outsider's observation...

You guys have a very good team, you just miss Lehtinen and Zubov. Other than that, if Turco plays better, you guys shouldn't have a problem making the playoffs.

Avery though, looks like he's going through the motions.
I think that about it sums it up. You lose your two best defensive players at their respective positions. I know last year Lehtinen was hurt, and I believe Zubov was as well... but how much overlapped?

Once Zubov comes back, the defense will settle down. Less experienced guys will get less minutes, but of higher quality. Your PP will get better because of him, as will the PK. And I don't have to tell you how much Lehtinen means to the PK, and the team as a whole really.

Turco was very good in that first period. I'd say the Madden goal was bad (I think it was the second one). But Turco is a great goalie. I think he benefits from having Zubov back there, being such a good stick handler he dishes it out to him, and then Zubov takes it from there.

I know the Stars are a much better team than this. I think your D, with the lack of Zubov, feels that added pressure. But NJ started off pretty bad last year as well. They finished off 4th in the East. Don't sweat it. And heck, you beat the Rangers... so we love you for that.

Good luck

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 11:11 AM
  #210
Stars99Lobo37
Moderator
Away Games - 13
 
Stars99Lobo37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sec 314 - Richardson
Country: United States
Posts: 46,921
vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
I also think it's sad to see Modano on the 3rd line... shouldn't he still be at the very least 2nd line center? I hope he's getting PP time on a regular basis regardless... he deserves that.
Ribeiro and Richards are centers of the future.

Modano is no where near the offensive level he use to be (or at least he wasn't last season).

But yea, he's always on the point on the PP regardless.

__________________
"Now when people ask me where I'm from, I tell them Texas. Dallas, Texas." - Mike Modano, March 8th, 2014

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 04:38 PM
  #211
aisforaaron83
Registered User
 
aisforaaron83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 576
vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
im gonna have my whinge now too...

i think all of the off season people got far too carried away with how good niskanen, grossman and fistric actually are. They had a good rookie season but alot of there mistakes were saved by the likes of robidas and norstrom who made them look good..everyone thought we could go 82 with these 3 to carry a top minute load...and they are all (except maybe grossman) getting found out..theyre still boys and not ready ready to be top minute guys...

i know zubov missed most of last year and norstrom big chucks too. but when it came to big time playoff games, they were the ones who carried us against the big teams, and at the moment there not there and so we have a "b" grade defense plain and simple..

neither of these 3 players are ready for top minutes despte everyones opinions...bouchers been ordinary too, but with his injury interupted pre season and end to last season..im gonna wait till about the 12 game mark for him to get back to hoprfully his 06-07 self or at least signs he is on the way back up, which i still think he can be...but its time to stop thining these kids are ready to be top minutes guys on a defense first dallas team...when zubovs back i want something like this

zubov-robidas
daley-boucher
niskanen-grossman

the kids arent ready (on D) so its time to lean on our veterans to get us through this tough time and hopefully be over 500 come chistmas...otherwise i will be worried....

Ok so theres my rant...might not be accurate or make sense an im sure ill read it tomorrow and think im wrong hehe...but i wanted to vent a little...

Come on STARS get back on track!!
why would you put Grossman, our best defensive defenseman, on the third pair? Niskanen should be a scratch.

Just my opinion.

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.