HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Marian Gaborik to the Flames(what would it take)

Old
10-22-2008, 10:59 AM
andy*

vCash: 500
Marian Gaborik to the Flames(what would it take)

What would it take for the Calgary Flames to Marian Gaborik. He would look good in a Flames uniform. Accroding to TSN the wild hyas OFFERED Marian Gaborik to another team. Should Sutter make the Wild a better offer and grab him?
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2533...=headlines_nhl

andy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Northern Neighbour

The Flames would have to significantly overpay in order to convince the Wild to deal Gaborik to a division rival.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Grannys

No thanks!

Grannys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:54 AM
GoFlames

Can he play the left side? If not not worth it as Iggy is the number one right winger...

IF Gaborik stays healthy and IF he shows up for the playoffs... big IF's in my mind. I like the team for the most part up front as it is. Bert and Cammy are great plus the younger players. I can not get over how well Bert protects the puck to enter the zone, refreshing over last year.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:56 AM
DBU
Bruinwagoner

vCash: 50
Wouldn't the Flames have to dump a hell of a lot of salary to just to make it work? Never mind giving up Backlund, Boyd, and a 1st.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:01 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danebgfx View Post
Never mind giving up Backlund, Boyd, and a 1st.
And quite a bit more

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Dions shoulder

Did you see that contract that he rejected? That alone makes it not worth pursuing. Then there is his constant injury problem, and thirdly (most importantly) the fact that minny would take nothing less than what I would consider a devastating deal for the Flames organization.

Last edited by Dions shoulder: 10-22-2008 at 12:50 PM. Reason: **** the over sensitive censor >.<
Dions shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:49 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Gaborik is a great talent, but I wouldn't want to see Sutter give up the type of package he'd need to give up to acquire a guy who is as injury prone as Gaborik. If Sutter were to go after a big acquisition of this sort, I'd much rather see him try and acquire Bouwmeester.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:53 PM
GoFlames

Now Bouwmeester could be worth a mega deal depending on all the circumstances. Agreed that Gaborik seems like a snitty player in that there seems to be no loyalty to his own team. Look at the Flames and guys like Iggy are clearly taking pay cuts to play here... Gaborik as good as he can be kinds of puts me off when he does that. I will take Bert for $2 mil.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Grannys

Gaborik seems like a greedy whiner, always complaining about his team and having high demands. The Flames are built with character players and Gaborik would not fit into that system.

But I do like the Wild as a team and hope they dump him soon so they get his black cloud out of the way.

Grannys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 03:27 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Now Bouwmeester could be worth a mega deal depending on all the circumstances. Agreed that Gaborik seems like a snitty player in that there seems to be no loyalty to his own team. Look at the Flames and guys like Iggy are clearly taking pay cuts to play here... Gaborik as good as he can be kinds of puts me off when he does that. I will take Bert for $2 mil.
Would you take a paycut to stay where you're not happy? Where every single day you're not allowed to be as creative and therefore as successfull as you want to be?

If you would stay in a place like that for less money than you could make where you would be allowed to be creative and feel good about yourself, then that kind of puts me off.

To me, Gaborik has every right to want to play somewhere else where his abilities are used in full.

Old
10-22-2008, 03:29 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
Gaborik seems like a greedy whiner, always complaining about his team and having high demands. The Flames are built with character players and Gaborik would not fit into that system.
Yeah wanting to maximize his potential is despicable. Lets call him a greedy whiner and identify his willingness to stand up for himself a complete lack of character

Old
10-22-2008, 05:13 PM
ComixZone

No Thanks.

Calgary's got other things to focus on next summer: Cammalleri, Bouwmeester, Bertuzzi.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 05:30 PM
DownInFlames

^^^ I'm with you. No point in paying a player 8+ to play half the season.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:01 PM
special_loob

- wild are unlikely to trade to a divisional opponent
- the cost is far too great in terms of what we'd give up in return
- he'd be tough to fit under our cap

gaborik is a great player. he's asking for tons simply because he wants out. i don't blame him. if you were a talented and offensively gifted player, you'd feel suffocated playing in the wild's defensive system. buyer beware though, this guy is made of glass.

special_loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:07 PM
mucca

I'm sure he will go to Montreal

mucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:21 PM
PIMking

the only thing I can think of is Marion Hossa..... give alot for playoffs then empty handed.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:45 PM
cross16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
the only thing I can think of is Marion Hossa..... give alot for playoffs then empty handed.
I see the opposite. I see this as about Money, not winning. I think some of his best chance to win while getting paid is in Minnisota who offered him, repordatly, a very lucractive deal. It was the the placement of the money Gaborik didn't agree to, but it likely has to do with lemaire.

I think Gaborik is overrated simply because he is never healthy enough to help a team. I wouldn't pay him 5 or 6 million let alone 8. I also question his dedication if he is that injury prone.

Would not be a smart investment trade or salary wise for the Flames.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Oblivion

I don't think that Gaborik fits with the overall team toughness of the Flames. Skilled as hell, but not a great fit. I mean we just dropped Huselius for similar reasons (I know the comparison is a stretch), but there aren't many pure skill players on the Flames and I don't even think we have a single European skater on the roster.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 03:06 PM
scoringmachine

Marian Gaborik Salary according to HockeyBuzz.com makes 6,333,333

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=MIN

My thinking of the Gaborik situation. I am not a big of Gaborik but have an idea of how to use him too our advantage. On trade deadline we deal for Gaborik meaning we will have to make room for 6.3million.
and we send some players to Minnesota. We do not send Backlund or a first rounder.

According to Hockeybuzz.com these players on the Flames are UFA at end of season

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=CGY

1. Mike Cammalleri - 3,350,000
2. Todd Bertuzzi - 1,950,000
3. David Moss - 550,000
4. Andre Roy - 550,000
5. Adrian Aucoin - 4,000,000
6. Adam Pardy - 500,000

Total cap 10,900 000 million

Add Gaborik at 6.3 + 10.9 = 17.2 million.
As of October 25th, 2008 Flames have cap of 2.7
Add 17.2 + 2.7 = 19.9 million in Cap space at season end if the Flames do not spend the 2.7 in cap space before then.

The Flames use that 19.9 million in cap space to resign Mike Cammalleri, Todd Bertuzzi and David Moss who will probably want an increase in salary. Andre Roy, and Adam Pardy if they fit into the Flames plan can be resigned.

Then go after Jay Bouwmeester by offering him a two year deal at 10 million. You may say it too much but he makes according to HockeyBuzz.com 4.8 million with Florida so two years at 10 million is not bad.

By this time we added Boumeester and Eliminated Aucoin. Then Sutter can look at other players to fill the roster for the 2009/10 season. By Getting Gaborik at the deadline forces the Flames to eliminate some players to make cap room that will be used at season end to sign some of the Flames UFA and sign some new players.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Body Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoringmachine View Post
Marian Gaborik Salary according to HockeyBuzz.com makes 6,333,333

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=MIN

My thinking of the Gaborik situation. I am not a big of Gaborik but have an idea of how to use him too our advantage. On trade deadline we deal for Gaborik meaning we will have to make room for 6.3million.
and we send some players to Minnesota. We do not send Backlund or a first rounder.

According to Hockeybuzz.com these players on the Flames are UFA at end of season

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=CGY

1. Mike Cammalleri - 3,350,000
2. Todd Bertuzzi - 1,950,000
3. David Moss - 550,000
4. Andre Roy - 550,000
5. Adrian Aucoin - 4,000,000
6. Adam Pardy - 500,000

Total cap 10,900 000 million

Add Gaborik at 6.3 + 10.9 = 17.2 million.
As of October 25th, 2008 Flames have cap of 2.7
Add 17.2 + 2.7 = 19.9 million in Cap space at season end if the Flames do not spend the 2.7 in cap space before then.

The Flames use that 19.9 million in cap space to resign Mike Cammalleri, Todd Bertuzzi and David Moss who will probably want an increase in salary. Andre Roy, and Adam Pardy if they fit into the Flames plan can be resigned.

Then go after Jay Bouwmeester by offering him a two year deal at 10 million. You may say it too much but he makes according to HockeyBuzz.com 4.8 million with Florida so two years at 10 million is not bad.

By this time we added Boumeester and Eliminated Aucoin. Then Sutter can look at other players to fill the roster for the 2009/10 season. By Getting Gaborik at the deadline forces the Flames to eliminate some players to make cap room that will be used at season end to sign some of the Flames UFA and sign some new players.
Wow are you ever underestimating the salary market. Negotiations for Bouwmeester will START at 7 million per season, length will be minimum 6 years. Cammallerri will start at 5 million and probably higher and Bertuzzi, if healthy and scores 30 plus goals will probably get at least $3.5 million on a new deal.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Lunatik*

Gaborik is not worth what it would take

and you are underestimating what J.Bo will make Scoring machine... I fully expect him to get 6+ million... something the Flames can also not afford

i also think it will cos the Flames 7.5-9 million combined to retain Bertuzzi and Cammalleri if they continue their strong play... letting Aucoin walk and replacing him with Pardy, Pelech or Negrin could potentially make this possible if the cap doesn't drop

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 05:35 PM
bam09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Gaborik is not worth what it would take

and you are underestimating what J.Bo will make Scoring machine... I fully expect him to get 6+ million... something the Flames can also not afford

i also think it will cos the Flames 7.5-9 million combined to retain Bertuzzi and Cammalleri if they continue their strong play... letting Aucoin walk and replacing him with Pardy, Pelech or Negrin could potentially make this possible if the cap doesn't drop
Well put. I'd love it if that happened too.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:00 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Gaborik isn't worth the money he's asking, or the things the Flames would have to give up.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Lunatik*

the pending UFA I want up front is Nik Antropov

on the blueline a return of Derek Morris interests me going into the playoffs

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote