HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Komisarek as a fighter

Old
10-21-2008, 08:55 PM
habfaninvictoria

vCash: 500
Komisarek as a fighter

I love Komisarek as a player, IMHO he plays the game the way it should be, physically but not dirty. I wouldn't call him a chippy player, but an intense one that takes the body within the rules of the game. Because of how physical he plays he often ends up in situations where the opponents want to drop the gloves, he usually doesn't, but obviously he has to sometimes.

Of the fights I've seen on youtube, there are a few recurring themes:
Almost all follow a strong bodycheck by Komi, and the fight starts in very close corners.
His Gloves and stick are usually in the way somehow.
He always clutches and usually wrestles more than punches.
Ends up on his back.

I think with Laroque here his life will be easier with regards to fighting, but if you are going to play a physical game in todays NHL, you will be required to use your fists. Does he fight this way because he:
A/ Has been told by coaches to protect his hands and stay away from fights.
B/ Hasn't been required to fight in US High School and University program and is very unconfident in the situation.

He's a big boy and I'd like to see him gain a reputation like Larry Robinson where he can physically punish you legally and you don't want to drop the gloves with him or you'll be headed to a plastic surgeon.

I may be way off base here, maybe I haven't seen the right highlight.

Do teams have fighting coaches, or is that a taboo subject?

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

It's mostly about his background. If he grew up playing in the CHL he'd have fought at least 25-30 times during his junior career and would have gotten much better as a result, in terms of technique.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Guy Caballero

Really? Vlad Konstantinov had about a dozen majors his whole career, against guys like McTavish and Geoff Courtnall. I don't think the Wings cared that much.

He also had more fights last year than Chara and Jovanovski, so really, what's the beef?

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Maxpac

It's Crabo's mentality that core player shouldn't fight, i think the concept applie to O'Byrne too, both are big boys that shoud drop em more often, especially when someone goes after Price

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:13 PM
CPrice

This is discussed to death everytime we play the Ruins. Check out one of the PGT.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Drunk World Order

Komisarek is more valuable to us on the ice...then in the penalty box...he is not afraid to drop him...but him fighting lets say shawn thorton or andrew peters is not a fair trade...Komi has fought Brashear and other notable tough guys and has not looked bad mind you its more of a wrestling match...but he plays with an edge and is feared around the league for his monster body checks...I spoke with a friend of mine Glen Metropolit...who played with the bruins last year and is now with the philly...and he told me that when Komi is on the ice people know...he said out of the eastern conference Komi is probably one of the hardest hitters...he said that guys think twice when Komi is on the ice...he took a few checks from komi last year and said its like getting hit by a car and that he is so solid and strong on his feet...IF Komi is gonna fight it should be for a reason or fair trade off...no need to fight goons...we have georges to do that!!!

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Lone Rogue

There's two sides to the fight coin.

I use Iginla as an example.

Flames fans feel that Iginla only scores when he cares about the game, and sometimes, that takes him getting angry and dropping the gloves.

I think Iginla is talented to score whenever and dropping the gloves means 5 less minutes in the penalty box.

I kind of think I'm wrong with this, this Flames fans have watched Iginla more often, but if its true, maybe some players need to be fired up to be better. Komisarek is not one of them. He is 100% every game. When you are a good player, especially a defensive stalwart like Komisarek, he needs to be on the ice blocking shots, stealing pucks and throwing hits, not sitting in the penalty box and being happy about beating up Milan Lucic. As much as we want to see it.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I love Komisarek as a player, IMHO he plays the game the way it should be, physically but not dirty. I wouldn't call him a chippy player, but an intense one that takes the body within the rules of the game. Because of how physical he plays he often ends up in situations where the opponents want to drop the gloves, he usually doesn't, but obviously he has to sometimes.

Almost all follow a strong bodycheck by Komi, and the fight starts in very close corners.
Ends up on his back.

I think with Laroque here his life will be easier with regards to fighting, but if you are going to play a physical game in todays NHL, you will be required to use your fists. Does he fight this way because he:
B/ Hasn't been required to fight in US High School and University program and is very unconfident in the situation.

He's a big boy and I'd like to see him gain a reputation like Larry Robinson where he can physically punish you legally and you don't want to drop the gloves with him or you'll be headed to a plastic surgeon.

the reason carbo tells komi not to fight bc hes too valuable to the team to be out for 5 mins+.....if he would fight he wud win.....so wat wud u prefer komi fight and be out for 5 mins and possibly more if he gets injured or for him to win a simple fight that wnt do much

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:56 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Komisarek doesn't fight because he knows his value to his teammates.
Carbo, Muller and Gainey have instilled everyone to know their rolls on their team, and thats why they gel so well.

Komisarek could and most likely would be a 1-2 d-man on any team in the league (barring a few teams like Anaheim with Neds and Pronger).

His value is in his defensive ability, and the fact he never gives up on the play. Laraque, Kosto, Begin, and occassionaly Boullion, are the fighters on this team, and they know it.

God I love being a Habs fan no matter how bad or how good they are. There is always some light in the darkness, and some darkness in the light.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:41 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
This is discussed to death everytime we play the Ruins. Check out one of the PGT.
The Ruins always say that Komi should fight blablabla because BGL is a lousy hockey player. Lets compare some stats of Laraque to Thornton who is a better player per Bruin's fans.

Laraque> http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...Y1lQyQukdivLYF

Thornton> http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...Y1lQyQukdivLYF

Well whose the better player?

As for Lucic-Komi well that is a big loss for Montreal, Lucic is nowhere near as good or important as Komi.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Riverboat Gambler

Komisarek relys on strength once in a fight. Most of his fights like you identify are reactive (they're casued by his play or happen in the heat of the moment). Most of the time, he fights to not get hurt (not take punches) by trying to control his opponent with his weight and reach. The only time I've seen him fight aggressive was vs. Dubinsky of the Rangers who had made comments about a potential fight in the media. It went well.

He could work on his fighting technique, but he doesn't fight often and so far his tecnique has proven to be successful. Meaning he hasn't been injured in a fight. Injuries are more likely in a fight.

All this stuff out of the way, I can't wait to see him fight Lucic this year.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:01 AM
MTL-rules

Fighting

Man, I can't believe how much this board has changed. Last year, we didn't have any heavyweight and therefor weren't glorifying fights and violence, always downplaying its important and so on...

Now that BGL is with the team, it's seems were turning into ape-like supporters wanting to send BGL on a head-hunting and sizing every prospect and players on their fighting skills.

What's with that? So other fans were right last year when they said the only reason why we didn't talk about fights or the importance of them was because we didn't have any fighter? That's called hypocrisy...

I like having BGL on the team, but in no way I'll glorify fighting in no shape or form...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Gros Bill

The less he fights, the better. He's a hockey player, not a boxer.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Judge Sauer*

I'm trying to find the Komi/Godard fight but with no luck.
The fight with Winchester was just plain funny because of the jerseying that Komi got but the punches are being thrown.

As stated many times, not unless it's another core player on the opposing team, Komi probably won't fight the guy unless some things really happen.
I would like to see him drop the gloves a couple more times than he does, but that's only to shut up guys like Lucic who suddenly think they can dominate because Komi didn't fight him.
I do recall during the last Boston game that it did look like Komi wanted to go at it with Lucic and Komi had his gloves off but Lucy wouldn't go for it.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Man, I can't believe how much this board has changed. Last year, we didn't have any heavyweight and therefor weren't glorifying fights and violence, always downplaying its important and so on...

Now that BGL is with the team, it's seems were turning into ape-like supporters wanting to send BGL on a head-hunting and sizing every prospect and players on their fighting skills.

What's with that? So other fans were right last year when they said the only reason why we didn't talk about fights or the importance of them was because we didn't have any fighter? That's called hypocrisy...

I like having BGL on the team, but in no way I'll glorify fighting in no shape or form...
Oh the drama

How long have you been waiting to unload this ridiculous tirade? I think you missed the NYR game where we applauded Frankie Bou for standing up to Orr, or all the times Kosto took a beating for his team, or when Komi dropped the mitts against Hartnell.

But don't let that get in the way of your nonsensical whining. Ape-like indeed.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 10-22-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
The less he fights, the better. He's a hockey player, not a boxer.
I happen to think the Greatest Hab ever was Maurice Richard and he would destroy guys with his bare hands. This along with his talent and will to win made him legendary.

I love Komi(esp. when he kills the Bruins with his hits) but sometime I wish he had that edge, you know? He seems scared to drop the gloves. I don't want him to fight too much(not even like Iginla) but I wish he sometime would fight somebody to make a statement. To say "i'm the meanest badass on the block". Heck that would even creat more space for him on the ice! Guys would respect him more, and wouldn't try running him down on the ice. I know he didn't get to fight much in the US but this is the NHL. Heck take boxing lessons during the summer or something...

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:24 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post

Ends up on his back.

A coach's dream

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:29 AM
redmachine54

Possibly the prospects described above with regards to getting 5 in the box with an enforcer from another team. We all know Komisarek's much more valuable than a guy like Aaron Downey or Scott Thornton.

I think another thing that might've emphasized to him to not fight was O'Byrne's injury. Might've made him realize that not only could he possibly lose 5 minutes of ice-time, but miss several games over a relatively inconsequential fight.

We all knew Komi was a real softie when he referred to somebody diving as "falling like a sack of potatoes." He should've been a man and referred to him as something more vulgar

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I happen to think the Greatest Hab ever was Maurice Richard and he would destroy guys with his bare hands. This along with his talent and will to win made him legendary.

I love Komi(esp. when he kills the Bruins with his hits) but sometime I wish he had that edge, you know? He seems scared to drop the gloves. I don't want him to fight too much(not even like Iginla) but I wish he sometime would fight somebody to make a statement. To say "i'm the meanest badass on the block". Heck that would even creat more space for him on the ice! Guys would respect him more, and wouldn't try running him down on the ice. I know he didn't get to fight much in the US but this is the NHL. Heck take boxing lessons during the summer or something...

Yeah, but my point is that fighting drags the NHL down to the level of pro wrestling or roller derby. I know I'm in the minority and I will get flamed, but hockey would be MUCH better off without the fighting.
Watch the reactions now.

Old
10-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Yeah, but my point is that fighting drags the NHL down to the level of pro wrestling or roller derby. I know I'm in the minority and I will get flamed, but hockey would be MUCH better off without the fighting.
Watch the reactions now.
Hockey was at his best in the 50s when players were real men like Maurice Richard in my opinion.

Also I happen to think fighting is natural for every men in the face of this Earth. I even feel like it's noble.

And the most exciting hockey i've ever seen were the rivalries between the Habs and Bruins from the 70s and the Habs vs Nordiques in the 80s. Those were blood feuds. And it was the Greatest Hockey.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-22-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old
10-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Hockey was at his best in the 50s when players were real men like Maurice Richard in my opinion.

Also I happen to think fighting is natural for every men in the face of this Earth. I even feel like it's noble.
Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I happen to think fighting is a relic of our neanderthal past and that it has no place in sports, save boxing, martial arts, etc..

Old
10-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I happen to think fighting is a relic of our neanderthal past and that it has no place in sports, save boxing, martial arts, etc..
LOL to calling The Rocket, the essensse of everything that's great about hockey a Neanderthal. The first hockey game in history ended up in a brawl. Did you know that?

As for people separating fighting in hockey with boxing and martial arts it's damn hypocrit.

Old
10-22-2008, 08:47 AM
Namso

Komi's just not a fighter. He would probably lose to any big guy.

Better to have him keep the gloves on and help us on the ice then in the penalty box after taking a thrashing.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
Komi's just not a fighter. He would probably lose to any big guy.

Better to have him keep the gloves on and help us on the ice then in the penalty box after taking a thrashing.
I just think that when you're tough you have to live with the consequences. You cannot expect on the NHL-level to have a guy that's killing guys with his hits and then just...vanishing. That's like this kid that throws stones and then when the other kids say "ouch that hurts!" and they try to strike back, he runs away. If you want to play tough you cannot be only half tough. I don't want Komi to fight every guys he hits but he can drop them once in a while.

Old
10-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
LOL to calling The Rocket, the essensse of everything that's great about hockey a Neanderthal. The first hockey game in history ended up in a brawl. Did you know that?

As for people separating fighting in hockey with boxing and martial arts it's damn hypocrit.
A) You're stretching what I wrote to fit what you think. I didn't refer to Maurice Richard, who I never saw play, as a neanderthal.
B) Re : Your reference to the first game in history. Back then, players weren't payed, weighed 135 lbs soaking wet, played, what, 7 aside?, with no forward pass. Are you suggesting that the NHL should go back to that?
C) I don't understand your second paragraph. Did you call me a hypocrite? If so, it was uncalled for. We can disagree and stay civil.