HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

roman malek

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Flyers dom NHL

vCash: 500
roman malek

Click Here for info on roman malek

Old
02-28-2004, 11:45 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I really hope that he will agree to come over seas next year. I would to see what he could do in camp for the Flyers or starting for the Phantoms.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:42 PM
PF

It's great to see him turning things up and taking that team to the playoffs, I really hope he comes over next year, another option in net would be a luxury. It's interesting to note upon moving to a worse team with a worse record his stats actually improved, he dropped his GAA about 0.15 and increased his SV% about 2.7%, not massive jumps but notable at the least.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:57 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

he'll have tough competition from "Frank"

Old
03-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

What has been Malek's view of coming over to North America? Why hasn't he come already, and do you think Clarke will trust another Czech in net?

Old
03-01-2004, 09:24 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
If you ask me, Malek blew his shot because Niittymaki re-established himself as the #1 goalie for the future. Malek wouldn't come over the first time because Clarke wouldn't give him a one-way contract. Now unless, Niittymaki is traded (which he won't be) Malek will have to either accept a two-way deal, or ask for a trade to a team that will give him a one-way deal (potentials: Phoenix, Edmonton if Salo is gone, Nashville, Calgary if they can get rid of Turek, Montreal if they trade a goalie)

Old
03-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
If you ask me, Malek blew his shot because Niittymaki re-established himself as the #1 goalie for the future. Malek wouldn't come over the first time because Clarke wouldn't give him a one-way contract. Now unless, Niittymaki is traded (which he won't be) Malek will have to either accept a two-way deal, or ask for a trade to a team that will give him a one-way deal (potentials: Phoenix, Edmonton if Salo is gone, Nashville, Calgary if they can get rid of Turek, Montreal if they trade a goalie)
Since this summer I don't think Malek ever had a shot at playing in a Flyers jersey save for a preseason game. The organization seems to think he's a minor leaguer/backup, and I think that if he ever does play in the NHL, it won't be with this club. I would love to be wrong, I want to see how good this guy really is.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:48 AM
sinisalo

They already had a young guy show some promise this year in Niityamaki.

So they went out and got Burke. I think Malek should push for a trade, Hitchcock won't give him a shot.

Old
03-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Chainsaw

We sign Malek no question!

Get Malek here should be a priority! Get him on the Phantoms, by the sounds of the article he will be more open minded about comming here. Cut Little loose he has served his purpose. Niittymaki and Malek can be the tandom for next years Phantoms. But to just forget Malek in Czech oblivion is stupid.

Old
03-01-2004, 02:09 PM
stanley

Malek didn't want to sign a two-way contract last summer, folks. If Clarke had signed him to a one-way contract, he would have had to clear waivers to go to the Phantoms, and that wouldn't have happened. He would have had to win a job.

I disagree about letting go of Little. His purpose isn't to win an NHL job (although I'd be ignorant to think Neil wouldn't want one). He's here to win AHL games and mentor Niittymaki. The reality is that he has AHL skills and in my opinion, is perfect for the position he's in. I think someone like Malek introduces the kind of competition between Frank and Malek that didn't work well with Esche and Cechmanek on the Flyers. Esche talked about how they got along, but didn't talk much because of the underlying tone caused by competition. I don't think it's a secret to anybody that Little is the veteran but Frank is the guy with the future in the NHL, and speaking as an outsider, I think that the intangible value of having players who know their roles goes a long way.

Old
03-01-2004, 04:11 PM
FlyersGuy69

I think that Niittyamki has looked great so far but it is only 3 NHL games and to just say that we don't need Malek now because he is the future is stupid. I think that Malek will be more open to signing a 2-way contract and proving how good he is and if he ends up being better then Niittymaki then great for us but you have to find out.

Old
03-01-2004, 05:07 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

will any of our other young goalies be able to play for the Phantoms next year? If so, I say see what we can get for Malek tradewise

Old
03-01-2004, 05:12 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
Malek didn't want to sign a two-way contract last summer, folks.
He is willing to now.

Old
03-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
If Clarke had signed him to a one-way contract, he would have had to clear waivers to go to the Phantoms, and that wouldn't have happened. He would have had to win a job.
The one way contract had nothing to do with waivers. it was discussed in depth here and on FlyersPhans in depth while it was going on.
The one way contract would have meant Malek gets paid the same no matter which league he was playing in (AHL or NHL).

A two-way contract would have meant he would have probably taken a pay cut to come over since he would have been stuck in the AHL.

Clarke just sucks at getting a goalie. Hackett has totally sucked his whole NHL career and Clarke hands him millions when he was set to retire, but the guy coming off the best season for any goalie in Europe he won't sign even though he was in his mid-20's. Makes no freaking sense to me. And then Clarke goes and gives up Comrie for Burke who while on slouch, isn't really an upgrade over Esche at all, and worse then having no playoff experience, Burke's already proven he sucks in the playoffs.

Old
03-01-2004, 05:21 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
The one way contract had nothing to do with waivers. it was discussed in depth here and on FlyersPhans in depth while it was going on.
The one way contract would have meant Malek gets paid the same no matter which league he was playing in (AHL or NHL).

A two-way contract would have meant he would have probably taken a pay cut to come over since he would have been stuck in the AHL.

Clarke just sucks at getting a goalie. Hackett has totally sucked his whole NHL career and Clarke hands him millions when he was set to retire, but the guy coming off the best season for any goalie in Europe he won't sign even though he was in his mid-20's. Makes no freaking sense to me. And then Clarke goes and gives up Comrie for Burke who while on slouch, isn't really an upgrade over Esche at all, and worse then having no playoff experience, Burke's already proven he sucks in the playoffs.
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

I agree, I think he should have brought him over, what harm could it have done to give him a shot? If memory serves me correct (I've drank a lot since then and now) Malek didn't want to come over on a two way contract because he didn't want to make minor league money. I can't really blame a guy for wanting the most money he can get if he has to pack up his life and go half way around the world and into a new language and culture.

Old
03-01-2004, 05:22 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

these best players not in the NHL scare me, who's to say he's not another Jiri Dopita *shudder*

Old
03-01-2004, 05:37 PM
FlyersGuy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
these best players not in the NHL scare me, who's to say he's not another Jiri Dopita *shudder*
well, you'll never know till you bring him over and just because Dopita was a bust doesn't mean that every other top prospect from Europe is going to be. Dopita had no gut's and no heart, 99.9% of the players in Europe posses these things, so Dopita is the exception, not the rule.

Old
03-01-2004, 06:38 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

true, but Malek is expendable

Old
03-01-2004, 07:56 PM
FlyersGuy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
true, but Malek is expendable
and why is that? oh yeah, because of the fantastic goaltending situation that we have.

Old
03-01-2004, 10:32 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage

Yup. I looked it up, and you're right: http://letsgopens.com/nhl_cba.php?id=13

Malek was born on 09/25/77, and since he would have signed before then, he would have been exempt from waivers for the entire regular and playoff season once he played in his first NHL game. Your comment about the finances also makes sense.

Actually, the Flyers probably would have cared a lot about his waiver status, although Clarke's refusal to sign him to a one-way contract seems to ring a bell somewhere deep in my brain.

Old
03-01-2004, 10:34 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
and why is that? oh yeah, because of the fantastic goaltending situation that we have.
Nittymaki, and several young goalies possibly eligable for the Phantoms next year, not sure on that though.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
well, you'll never know till you bring him over and just because Dopita was a bust doesn't mean that every other top prospect from Europe is going to be. Dopita had no gut's and no heart, 99.9% of the players in Europe posses these things, so Dopita is the exception, not the rule.
Exactly, Dopita was very talented, (you don't score 4 goals in a game in the NHL if you're not talented) but he didn't want to be in North America and was also very brittle. Those two factors were why Dopita didn't have a successful NHL career.

Closed Thread