HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Feb. 27, 2004 - Where's Kovalchuk?

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 11:04 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
If a player misses a team event, in this case a team meeting he should be benched.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Jacob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Officially the Iverson of the NHL.
"We talkin' bout practice."

Old
02-28-2004, 07:14 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwthrash
First taking his own puck out the net, and now this. There seems no end to the nit-picking details that people want to over-analyze with this kid. I say that slightly in jest, slighty in frustration over how the past two months have gone. Good win tonight against the Devils though.
From where I sit, there seems to be no end to the peoplethat will go to great lengths to defend a kid that just needs to grow up and start acting like a true professional that cares more about the team then his actions show.

I know, I know. It's just HIM. Everyone's picking on HIM. Maybe it's because his Russian. Or maybe it's because he's so talanted. Whatever the reason there's a conspiracy amongst fans, and now even his own coach in envolved.

Old
02-28-2004, 07:28 AM
rulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Device
Its easy to talk about, its easy to sum it up when you just talk about practice. We sittin' in here, I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talkin' about practice. I mean listen, we talkin bout practice. Not a game, not a game, not a game. We talkin bout practice. Not a game, not a, not a, not the game that I go out there and die for, and play every game like its my last. Not the game. We talkin' bout practice, man. I mean how silly is that? We talkin' bout practice. I know I'm supposed to be there, I know I'm supposed to lead by example. I know that, and I'm not shovin' it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know its important, I do. I honestly do. But we talkin' bout practice, man. What are we talkin' bout? Practice? We talkin' bout practice man. We talk... We talkin' bout practice. We talkin' bout practice. We ain't talkin' bout the game, we talkin' bout practice, man. When you come into the arena, and you see me play, you see me play, don't you? You see me give everything I got, right? But we talkin' bout practice right now. We talkin' bout practice. (crowd laughs) Man look, I hear you, its funny to me too. I mean, its strange, its strange to me too. But we talkin' bout practice man. We not even talkin' bout the game, the actual game, when it matters. We talkin' bout practice.

Old
02-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
From where I sit, there seems to be no end to the peoplethat will go to great lengths to defend a kid that just needs to grow up and start acting like a true professional that cares more about the team then his actions show.

I know, I know. It's just HIM. Everyone's picking on HIM. Maybe it's because his Russian. Or maybe it's because he's so talanted. Whatever the reason there's a conspiracy amongst fans, and now even his own coach in envolved.
You might be overreacting here. Not surprising coming for you. Looking at the thread, I don't see that many rational people defending Kovalchuk here.

Personally, I have no problem with benching or sitting guys when they deserve it. It appears Ilya deserved it, although I haven't found too many details on this story.

And there's no conspiracy among fans to constantly criticize Kovalchuk. Just a lot of bandwagoning by spineless, brainless crowds. Nothing new under the sun, it's always been that way. Human nature and all...

Old
02-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Vlad The Impaler

BTW, I am somewhat surprised this thread isn't larger. This is one of the few true reprehensible action by Kovalchuk and few people are talking about it. Must not be as spectacular as crying over some puck retrievement.

Old
02-28-2004, 01:42 PM
chicpea*

Agree. Skipping team meetings isn't so glamourous I guess.

Old
02-28-2004, 01:53 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
You might be overreacting here. Not surprising coming for you. Looking at the thread, I don't see that many rational people defending Kovalchuk here.

Personally, I have no problem with benching or sitting guys when they deserve it. It appears Ilya deserved it, although I haven't found too many details on this story.

And there's no conspiracy among fans to constantly criticize Kovalchuk. Just a lot of bandwagoning by spineless, brainless crowds. Nothing new under the sun, it's always been that way. Human nature and all...
An ad hominem, containing a strawman no less, coming from you. Also not surprising.

Stop, before this turns into the last thread where you exaggerated everything that I said just so you could argue against the hyberbolic and not what was written, I didn't quantify an amount of people standing up for Kovalchuk.
I said there is no end, and there isn't, as there are people in this thread that are doing so.

Even if you think you are so right, why the personal attacks? Could you not formulate your opinion in a more mature and intelligent manner? Do you think writing insults makes you sound older? Smarter? Stronger? I personally think it makes you someone that only wants to win a pissing contest on an message board.

You want to keep on exaggerating things just to argue with me, go ahead, you're on your own though. I got bored of it last time, and your post is doing nothing for me now either.
Now get your freebie insults in so you can be a big man and impress the women.

Old
02-28-2004, 02:17 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Not as bad as his temper tantrum during a game, IMO, but missing a team meeting isn't exactly a smart move either. He's still a young guy and learning the ropes. Hartley will whip him into shape...or turn him into a whipping boy a la Alex Tanguay. Here's to hoping the former rather than the latter.

Old
02-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Even if you think you are so right, why the personal attacks? Could you not formulate your opinion in a more mature and intelligent manner? Do you think writing insults makes you sound older? Smarter? Stronger?
No. It's just that I don't like you, or people like you.

Doesn't make me sound older, smarter or stronger. Just makes me sound more honest.

I had that exact same conversation with a poster by the name of Leaflover, maybe 18 months ago. Seemingly mature guy, well-spoken like you. But he couldn't understand why he was stupid, or why I felt the need to point it out. Kept on crying that the Sedins were total busts as well as other nonsense.

Now he probably gets it.

I don't care if I was impolite then. I care about the fact I was right.

I'd prefer to have polite conversations, but you're not giving me much to work from. You've been in the past irrational and dishonnest. What am I supposed to tell you? That you're nice and bright?

In this particular case, it seems we agree that Kovalchuk's actions were wrong. But hey, you start reminding people of that stupid thread you started in a desperate effort to vindicate yourself, I'm going to remind you your position there was dumb.

Old
02-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Walker
I agree that bob has the right to be upset but when it comes to forking out the big bucks to watch these guys something tells me they better be dressing the best players available.There's other ways to make a point besides this and let's face it Kovalchuk is huge when it comes to selling tickets and putting people in the seats.What if you had paid for 2 premium seats anticipating to watch Kovalchuk and once you reached the arena found out he was benched because bob's a bit sensitive, you wouldn't be able to refund those tickets. Whether or not I'm a Kovalchuk fan or not has no place in this discussion but anybody with his skill and imagination is worth the price of admission,....the thrashers without him is another story.
Yeah, but benching Kovy for 1 game might get him refocused. Sure you miss watching him that one game, but hopefully he treats the game with the respect it deserves from now on in. The alternative would be playing Kovy for that game and maybe watching him for the rest of the season as he becomes more and more selfish.
I'm not saying he is a selfish player by any means, but it's best to nip things in the bud. He's allready proven that he has a bit of an ego (which I have no problem with, he has the skill to back it up), and this may turn out to be a really smart coaching move.

Old
02-28-2004, 03:21 PM
TelperiŽn

Quote:
Hartley refused to say why Kovalchuk was a healthy scratch, although a team spokesman said a television report that he missed a team meeting was accurate.

"You better ask him, he knows," Hartley said of Kovalchuk, whose 33 goals has him tied for the league lead. "I don't know what happened."

Hartley acknowledged the decision to bench Kovalchuk was his.

"You want the reason why he didn't play, he has the reason. I don't," Hartley said. "I coached 20 guys and we won, it's plain and simple."

When pressed, Hartley said: "He was not at practice and he was not at the game, period."
http://www.11alive.com/news/news_art...?storyid=43537

Old
02-28-2004, 04:51 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:

I agree that he has some growing up to do. Every 20 year old on the face of the earth does, regardless whether they are in the spotlight or not. But since he so young and in a big spotlight, his every action seems to be heavily scrutinized. In doing so, people tend to mountains out of mole-hills, making more of what really isn't there. And I'm not just talking about the ones criticizing him, the people defending him do it as well.

I for one am all in favor of what Hartley did. It was a rule he set up, and quite a common rule around the NHL. Kovalchuk violated that rule, so he got benched for that game. Superstar of fourth line grinder, the rules apply equally to everyone. And if you know anything about Hartley, you know that to be true.

I'm not defending him in this case. I like the call that Hartley made, no one player is above the team. And if he screws up, I won't hesistate to say so because I'll be more ticked off that his errors hurt the team I root for. I'm just being as honest as I can, whether you believe that is your business. It just confounds me how relatively minor incidents are blown up into something much larger, especially due to the fact that we know so very little about all the details that we will never be privy to as fans. People, both defending and criticizing, take on little piece of info and run rampant with it, not really knowing or caring about the other details that would help to explain the situation a bit better. Basically, most of us want to vent about what we perceive to be an injustice of some kind. The truth is, most of our perceptions are off the mark because we know only those few details. Discussions like this are almost always a nonstarter, but we plod along in our need to vent one way or the other.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:36 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Kovalchuk with two goals today in a 3-2 Thrashers win over the Rangers. Hartley seems to know what buttons to push and when to push them, as opposed to Fraser who just randomly benched Kovalchuk because he was the scapegoat for a horrible team that couldn't play defense.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Kovalchuk react with a pair of goal including the gamme winner in OT . It's not the 1st time he came back strong , let's go Ilya !

Old
02-29-2004, 04:46 PM
TelperiŽn

Congrats Hartley, you win...

Ilya's sure got an interesting way of apologizing for mistakes. I was rooting for him to get a hat trick. Oh well, 2 goals and a win is still good.

Closed Thread