HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phoenix trades Landon Wilson to Pittsburgh for FC's

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2004, 07:19 PM
Flyersguru

vCash: 500
Minor Trade: PHX -Pitt.

Landon Wilson to Pitt for Future Considerations

http://tsn.ca/nhl/trade_deadline/

Old
02-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Mathletic

oh ****

Old
02-22-2004, 07:29 PM
PhoPhan

I reckon this is why Kolanos was called up. I wonder what the futures are.

Old
02-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Michalek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I reckon this is why Kolanos was called up. I wonder what the futures are.
Not a bad pick up for the pens...

Old
02-22-2004, 08:24 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
Useless pick up for the pens. Instead of giving the young guys a chance, they pick up a crappy vet that is as useless as McKenna, Buchberger, Eastwood and Bergevin.

Another awesome move by Craig Patrick.
wilson isn't even close to being as useless as the 4 you mentioned

Old
02-22-2004, 08:26 PM
spence___

Quote:
Useless pick up for the pens. Instead of giving the young guys a chance, they pick up a crappy vet that is as useless as McKenna, Buchberger, Eastwood and Bergevin.

What do you think of Jackman?

Old
02-22-2004, 08:47 PM
spence___

Quote:
I know alot of my fellow die hard pens fans will defend CP, but i've had it with him. Sorry, seriously sorry if my fellow pens fans get angry with that comment but i have had enough stupid signings and lack of trading already
What GM would do a significantly better job with the same resources CP has?

Old
02-22-2004, 09:06 PM
BrokenStick

Quote:
I know alot of my fellow die hard pens fans will defend CP, but i've had it with him. Sorry, seriously sorry if my fellow pens fans get angry with that comment but i have had enough stupid signings and lack of trading already.
While I'm not necesarily approving of trading for Wilson, what trade would you really like to see CP make? There is no deal that he can make right now to help the team out of its current funk. Right now the only real trade bait that the team has are prospects, which is what we'd want in a trade anyway, so there really isn't much that can be done here.

Old
02-22-2004, 09:07 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

bad trade for Landon Wilson

Old
02-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Reign Nateo

Landon Wilson was pegged as a sure-fire top line power forward as a prospect, maybe he'll do what so many Penguins seem to do and have his career turn around. Or maybe he'll just be Landon Wilson...

Old
02-22-2004, 10:02 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Landon Wilson was pegged as a sure-fire top line power forward as a prospect, maybe he'll do what so many Penguins seem to do and have his career turn around. Or maybe he'll just be Landon Wilson...
Maybe, we can hope.

The team sucks so bad that nothing can hurt. As a player, it probably isn't the best feeling to go to the worst team in the league. But, they also probably look at it like they will have all the time to find their game.

As far as not giving young guys the chance, can't blame the GM or coach there. The hard truth is that none of those young guys are earning a callup or time over some veterans.

Hopefully, Wilson can be another pickup like Lang/Straka/Tarnstrom pick. Otherwise, it may be Vladimir Vujtek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old
02-22-2004, 10:31 PM
PhoPhan

Although it is Pittsburgh, I'm sure Landon will be happy to be out of the pressbox and be playing at all.

Old
02-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
bad trade for Landon Wilson
Actually, he will likely see more ice time and if he can ever increase his future value, now is that shot.

Old
02-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:

I wouldn't call Wilson a "crappy vet". He's still fairly young, and has shown some flashes of being a solid third liner who can chip in 15 or so goals. He's had injury problems, but so have alot of players. If the "future considerations" are minimal, why not take a chance on a guy like this? As for Craig Patrick, with the severe financial constraints he's under, what else do you expect him to do? Quietly, he's amassing a pretty stable of young talent at all positions, and they'll be in position to draft another stud this year. I think he's doing as well as possible under the circumstances. People like you give fans a bad name.

Old
02-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Bergevin and Buchberger have been vital to the Penguins future and Eastwood has been solid both on and off the ice.

McKenna is useless though.

Bergevin has done wonders with Orpik and Buchberger has done the same with Malone, having them suck it up now will pay more dividends in the future than you could ever imagine.

Old
02-22-2004, 10:46 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
I wouldn't call Wilson a "crappy vet". He's still fairly young, and has shown some flashes of being a solid third liner who can chip in 15 or so goals. He's had injury problems, but so have alot of players. If the "future considerations" are minimal, why not take a chance on a guy like this? As for Craig Patrick, with the severe financial constraints he's under, what else do you expect him to do? Quietly, he's amassing a pretty stable of young talent at all positions, and they'll be in position to draft another stud this year. I think he's doing as well as possible under the circumstances. People like you give fans a bad name.
I find myself agreeing with you a lot, lately.

Old
02-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Who was the last player to play more than 60 games and not register a single point? There has to be some record, a pen is gonna break that too.
Im thinking bill muckalt :p

Old
02-22-2004, 11:48 PM
stardog

Quote:

Giving the guys a chance?!?!?!???? Uhhh, they have lost 17 games in a row there. I think that is MORE than ample opportunity to give anyone a "chance".

I for one am glad he made another move, and I totally disagree with your charachterization that Eastwood and Buchberger have been useless.
We cant ice an entire team of rookies with noone to learn character from.

While this deal isnt a blockbuster by any means, at least it is something that improves our team (see Bradley). The Jackman deal wasn't a blockbuster either but it turned out pretty good so far.

Noone else is ready to be brought up from WB obviously. I think it is low to assasinate CP for such a minor move when his team is in the middle of a 17 game winless slump....geez.

Old
02-22-2004, 11:52 PM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Thank you....what do people expect?

Old
02-23-2004, 12:09 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Agreed. I'm all for taking a chance on Wilson and see what he can do.
I think CP is trying to find any former first rounder available cheap to see if he can trun his career around. He has a habit of doing so, and successfuly sometimes.
Why not Wilson? Especially for futures.

Old
02-23-2004, 01:38 AM
clefty
What?

Hey, if Wilson takes ice time away from Matt Bradley, its the best trade CP has made in 10 years.

Old
02-23-2004, 01:45 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty
Hey, if Wilson takes ice time away from Matt Bradley, its the best trade CP has made in 10 years.
Exactly. And while it may not be a big trade, it DOES upgrade our current roster....something which we obviously and desperatley, need.

Old
02-23-2004, 01:48 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
I like Landon Wilson. Solid 3rd liner. It's a good pickup for the Pens.

Old
02-23-2004, 04:10 AM
stardog

Quote:
Why do i find the trade pointless? Because we have players like Wilson but younger. I shouldn't have knocked Wilson but he won't get us 15 goals. The most he's ever scored in a season is 18 and that was just once, its a pipe dream to think guys will come in and just step it up. Let me make this more clear...we traded a conditional draft pick or a futures for a player, that means a player is going to get sent down, now i don't know the waiver rules too well but if a certain player has played over a certain amount of games or has been called up before, don't they have to clear waivers?

I don't give fans a bad name, grow up i'm a die hard penguins fan, i want them to succeed and keep moving forward with the rebuilding, but when your rebuilding you have to cut the dead weight and move forward...I'm a pens fan, i cheer for the pens...pisses me off when other team fans come on and say "People like you"...i'm gonna bite my tongue on this.

Mucklat went 70 games without a goal, but he had pts, if you read what i wrote i said point not goal.

Change your avatar, as a hindu i find it offensive that you use his image in a forum, my family is the same religion as Mahatma and i am aware of Mrs.Clinton's stupidity and that comment she made but please change it.
Eric Meloche was already sent down, and he PLAYED his way to the minors. The kids in WB aren't ready and Wilson is a hard nosed guy who brings experience.

There is absolutley no reason to dislike this trade as strongly as you voiced whatsoever.

As for the rebulding, well you NEED vets on the squad for the teaching and development of younger players.
And yeah, trim dead weight....we did, in sending Eric Meloche down to the minors. Are you going to tell me that Wilson cant help this team more than Meloche?

No matter how you are dressing this up to be such a bad trade, your points are moot. Guys were given the chance and they failed. We are still in rebuilding mode and this trade does nothing to derail that.
If you watched todays game, Murley looked lost out there. I have no qualms with him going back down to the minors (and he doesnt have to clear waivers) and still learning/defining his game.

I just can't fathom the venom you have for CP with such a completley MINOR trade....

Old
02-23-2004, 04:14 AM
stardog

Quote:
Like how he gave Daigle a chance?

Let's see what Wilson can do then...but if Bradley does get benched infavour of Wilson...thank god.
Yeah, yet you didn't refute the point of his post. Daigle didnt get a chance. Agreed. But that doesnt counter for Lang/Straka/Tarnstrom etc who all thrived here from a minor move exactly the same as this one.

And as for giving him a chance, you already proved that you weren't willing to do so. I hope you change your mind, because making such a venomous judgement on this trade before the guy has even played isnt fair at all.

At any rate, he isnt worse than Bradley and Meloche, so this team is upgraded, which is a positive, no?

Closed Thread