HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10-23-08 Oilers at Avalanche 7:30 PM MT

Old
10-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Aerolanche

vCash: 500
Am I reading this wrong... less than 15000 people in attendance? Has the attendance been this bad lately? I am well aware that the sellout streak was old news but I didn't expect to see 14800 as the attendance number.

http://www.aspechockey.com
Avalanche SPECulation, prospects and news.
Aerolanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Foppa Frossa

Heh, I'm waiting for this board to return to doom-and-gloom after the Avs play the Sabres, saying that Granato is the worst coach in the NHL and that Budaj should be playing in the minors

Foppa Frossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerolanche View Post
Am I reading this wrong... less than 15000 people in attendance? Has the attendance been this bad lately? I am well aware that the sellout streak was old news but I didn't expect to see 14800 as the attendance number.
The first two home games sold out.

You'll see attendance results like this for games during the week at times during this season (depending on the opponent).

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:21 AM
CAF1837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post

You'll see attendance results like this for games during the week at times during this season (depending on the opponent).
that said this IS the lowest figure in avs history for an avs regular season or playoff game.

CAF1837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:03 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAF1837 View Post
that said this IS the lowest figure in avs history for an avs regular season or playoff game.
Economics are a clear factor whether the NHL wants to cop to it or not. There is a lot less discretionary income available for expensive pro sports tickets right now.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:09 PM
quesosauce

yea i'm willing to bet the cheap seats were better filled last nite, but also a mid week game against an opponent that we play all the time doesnt get the normies excited

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAF1837 View Post
And arguably the worst economy the Avs have faced during their time in Denver.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:53 PM
kenny #9

Is it just me or does it look like Smyth is doing a good job not to score on Edmonton, or Edmonton is doing a good job to keep Smyth off the scoresheet, it looked like there was many times Smyth had the opportunity to shoot but he ended up dumping the puck behind the net.

I know this is far fetched but it sure seems odd he is yet to score a goal against the Oilers.

kenny #9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 01:14 PM
ColoradoHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Economics are a clear factor whether the NHL wants to cop to it or not. There is a lot less discretionary income available for expensive pro sports tickets right now.
Exactly. I was surprised/impressed that they were able to sell out the first two games.

ColoradoHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 01:18 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Budaj had a good game. 25 saves, the lone goal on a PP that was assisted by Foote and that he no chance on. Hopefully he builds off this.
I agree he looked solid last night and prolly would have had a shutout had it not been for Foote.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:31 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerolanche View Post
It's entirely possible. Right now, it's tough for a lot of people to pony up a couple/few hundred bucks for a few hours of Avs hockey.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:34 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post

It'll be interesting to see if this pervades other teams in the NHL, revenues drop, and - for the first time - the Cap may drop next season also. If that happens, teams (*cough*Philadelphia) who have a bunch of really big contracts are going to have to fill their rosters with some cheap/scrub players.

-AB

Old
10-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

It's also football season.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

It'll get worse before it gets better - right now, hockey is low on the priority list for a lot of people in the area.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Avsboy

I think we now have 2 solidified lines, with Tucker finding a spot with Wolski and Sakic. I want Svatos to be a threat too...I just don't like him to be without confidence. Would Hensick help him? I don't like dumping him with Arnason.

Avsboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 05:44 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy12345 View Post
I think we now have 2 solidified lines, with Tucker finding a spot with Wolski and Sakic. I want Svatos to be a threat too...I just don't like him to be without confidence. Would Hensick help him? I don't like dumping him with Arnason.
Dump Arnason = Problem solved

Addition by subtraction applies in this case.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Drury_Sakic

I wonder if we will see TV ratings jump as a result of the ticket sales dropping? More people watching on TV than going to the game. (cheaper to buy center ice for the year than taking a family of 4-5 to ONE game)

Would be a measure to see if fandom is falling off or if its the ticker prices.

I think the NHL as a whole the NHL needs to meet and find a way to bring tickets down a bit, plus make sure to get as many games as possible on TV.

Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:44 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
I think the NHL as a whole the NHL needs to meet and find a way to bring tickets down a bit.
The only real way to do this, is to lower salaries, thus increasing teams' profits.

And this was (allegedly) done three years ago with the new CBA.

-AB

Old
10-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Drury_Sakic

I guess what I am trying to say is the NHL head offices need to start work on projecting ticket sales numbers for its teams... seeing at what point the higher ticket prices leave empty seats (thus teams missing out on the sales) and at what point lowering ticket prices (selling more seats) make up the cost of the higher prices vs. lower prices (minding that you would have to either give something back to those who already bought tickets, either some kind of credit or a freebie toss in) and then pressing its owners HARD to do something about it.

NHL owners are among some of the worst in sport at seeing the cost/benefit of selling seats at a higher prices vs. selling seats at even a slightly lower price and driving revenue in other areas as a result. (Uni sales, TV, food, beer, ext) In a good economy if fans cannot buy seats you can sell them to corporations..and that has worked sort of since the lockout...driving the cap and revenue up..... in bad times you lose that corporate backing no matter what the ticket pricing... thus you need to lean on blue collar guys more to at the very least stop the cap from collapsing on itself

A 1-2 million dollar slip this year and possibly the next could happen, if the ticket sales DO become a problem and no one reacts quickly, it COULD be a 3-4-5 million dollar shock to the system over the summer. Its up to the NHL front office to push the owners, I have zero faith in the owners doing it on their own. The NHLPA also should be involved here as it could cost the next wave of RFA and UFA millions if they fail to address the problem.

Then again we may see the numbers not take a long term hit as other markets such as Chicago suck up the slack from clubs like Colorado who are in the rebuilding mode and taking a back seat as a result of the economy and if the Avs continue to improve and Stastny, Sakic, and Company keep leading the league in scoring it will bring people to the Avs... and never count out the sales jump when Foppa comes back... again...

Last edited by Drury_Sakic: 10-25-2008 at 02:16 AM.
Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote