HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

What would Dallas have to offer for Bouwmeester?

Old
10-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Sony Eriksson*

vCash: 500
What would Dallas have to offer for Bouwmeester?

Realistically speaking ...........Morrow, Richards, Ribeiro, Zubov, Modano and Turco are all staying.

The glaring lack of physical, tough defensively, true D man lacking from Dallas' lineup makes me wonder what Florida would want for Bouwmeester. With Zubov a couple years away from hanging up the skates we need a young NHL proven D man to help gets the young kids Niskanen, Grossman, and Fistric better in our own zone.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Gumbercules

He's a UFA, but it would still take a fair chunk of change. Niskanen, J Neal and Bachman perhaps. I'm not sure of the cap situations though.

Gumbercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbercules View Post
He's a UFA, but it would still take a fair chunk of change. Niskanen, J Neal and Bachman perhaps. I'm not sure of the cap situations though.
I think Neal would be a hard sell from Dallas' standpoint. We have been lacking a big physical offensive player other than Morrow and Neal has all the tools. Next year we are going to have a ton of cap space to sign Bouwmeester long term and for big $$$.

Old
10-23-2008, 11:02 AM
BigG44

This is impossible. All of Dallas' big contracts have NTC's or NMC's.

Florida would have to take Boucher or Daley + Eriksson or Ott, and Dallas would have to put Brunnstrom in the minors (who shockingly has been one of Dallas' best forwards) just so Dallas would have the cap room. Les Jackson has said more than once that they don't want Brunnstrom in the minors.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
This is impossible. All of Dallas' big contracts have NTC's or NMC's.

Florida would have to take Boucher or Daley + Eriksson or Ott, and Dallas would have to put Brunnstrom in the minors (who shockingly has been one of Dallas' best forwards) just so Dallas would have the cap room. Les Jackson has said more than once that they don't want Brunnstrom in the minors.
Plus it would help to give up someone of value, not just decent - crap.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 11:20 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Plus it would help to give up someone of value, not just decent - crap.
Which is exactly why I said it was impossible.

Old
10-23-2008, 11:24 AM
danishh

To Dallas: Jay
To Florida: Trevor Daley, Ivan Vishnevski(y?), Steve Ott, possibly a pick (not first, either 2nd or 3rd)

dont bother saying "only if jay agrees to an extension". Its not gonna happen before jay gets a feel for the team.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
To Florida: Trevor Daley, Ivan Vishnevski(y?), Steve Ott

dont bother saying "only if jay agrees to an extension". Its not gonna happen before jay gets a feel for the team.
In a heartbeat! Bouwmeester has a $4.8mil cap hit! Ott is at $1.35mil and Daley is at $2.1mil. So it would have to another roster player.

Old
10-23-2008, 11:31 AM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
To Florida: Trevor Daley, Ivan Vishnevski(y?), Steve Ott, possibly a pick (not first, either 2nd or 3rd)

I think Dallas says no, that's too much of their future D for a possible rental player. Dallas seems heavily invested in Daley and they seem to see Vishnevskiy as Zubov's replacement. On top of that, Ott is seen as a locker room leader. I don't see Dallas sending any of their D away in any trades.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 11:32 AM
BigG44

Quote:

The LTIR relief that Dallas gets when Zubov returns is inconsequential.

Dallas has $36,696,667 million tied up in 14 forwards. Fabian Brunnstrom ($2,225,000) and James Neal ($821,667) are the only forwards that don’t have to clear waivers, and they have been the best forwards on the ice for Dallas at times. Barch ($575,000) and Petersen ($550,000) are the only forwards they’d risk on waivers.

In 8 defenseman, Dallas has $14,763,889 tied up. Only Fistric ($788,889) can go to the minor without clearing waivers, and Janik ($500,000) is the only defenseman they’d risk on waivers.

Dallas has $6,185,000 invested in Turco and Stephan.

So Dallas already has $57,645,556 invested in the 24 man team when Zubov is healthy. Fistric ($788,889) gets sent down to the AHL, and Barch/Petersen (I’ll go with the lower one: $550,000) are waived.

Now Dallas has $56,306,667 tied up in 22 guys.

Morrow-Ribeiro-Lehtinen (If he’s healthy)
Avery-Richards-Brunnstrom
Neal-Modano-Eriksson
Lundqvist-Ott-Crombeen
Barch

Niskanen-Zubov
Grossman-Robidas
Daley-Boucher
Janik

Turco/Stephan

Now Dallas makes a hypothetical, highly unlikely, trade for Bouwmeester ($4,875,000):

I’ll go with Daley ($2,300,000) and Ott ($1,425,000) +++ going the other way. Dallas gains $1,150,000 in salary and now has $57,456,667 tied up in 21 players (only 12 forwards).

Disregarding the LTIR space from Zubov’s injury because it is unknown at this time, Dallas needs to clear another $756,667. They could send Janik down, but now they have 12 forwards and 6 defenseman. With Dallas’ injury issues, I wouldn’t count on that being possible. Now, Dallas has to choose between Neal and Brunnstrom going to the minors. Neal’s cap hit ($821,667) does nothing so bye-bye Fabian. Petersen and Chris Conner get recalled to give Dallas 13 forwards.

Morrow-Riberio-Lehtinen
Avery-Richards-Eriksson
Neal-Modano-Crombeen
Lundqvist-Petersen-Barch
Conner

Bouwmeester-Zubov
Grossman-Robidas
Boucher-Niskanen

Turco/Stephan

I’d rather Dallas play with the lineup that doesn’t have Bouwmeester in it. Giving up 3 starter (Trade: Daley and Ott, Minors: Brunnstrom) is crazy to only get one starter in return.

Old
10-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post
I think Dallas says no, that's too much of their future D for a possible rental player. Dallas seems heavily invested in Daley and they seem to see Vishnevskiy as Zubov's replacement. On top of that, Ott is seen as a locker room leader. I don't see Dallas sending any of their D away in any trades.
With Dallas already of given up 29 goals allowed which happens to be tied for the most in the NHL (Philly is the other) i can almost bet if a move is made a D man will be part of it.

Old
10-23-2008, 11:36 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
With Dallas already of given up 29 goals allowed which happens to be tied for the most in the NHL (Philly is the other) i can almost bet if a move is made a D man will be part of it.
Yeah there is a good chance, but on a much smaller scale. You're looking for defensive defenseman making much less than $2,000,000.

Old
10-23-2008, 11:39 AM
danishh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post
i will have to respectfully disagree.
co-GMs are smart enough to know you have to give big to get big.
I think fistric and grossman will be much better than vish, and the opportunity to go into the playoffs this year with zubov and bouwmeester leading this team would be to good to pass up.

As for resigning, if lehtinen retires (probably), there should be more than enough money to re-up jay if the season goes well.

I have absolutely no doubt dallas would agree to this if it was offered to them.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Yeah there is a good chance, but on a much smaller scale. You're looking for defensive defenseman making much less than $2,000,000.
Then if no Jay then who? We need a proven defensive defenseman w/size who can shut players down. So if Moving Boucher at $2.5 and Ott at $1.35 that allows us to get a a good solid D man...!

Old
10-23-2008, 11:42 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I know that this is going to sound foreign to Stars' fans, but you guys have had a nice run. Time for a rebuild. Maybe you should consider asking Modano and Zubov to waive their NTCs and send them to contenders at the trade deadline.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I know that this is going to sound foreign to Stars' fans, but you guys have had a nice run. Time for a rebuild. Maybe you should consider asking Modano and Zubov to waive their NTCs and send them to contenders at the trade deadline.
Modano in any other uniform than a Stars one will never happen. Modano said he wants to play out his contract and when it is up he will be 40 years old. He will retire a Dallas star! Zubov is in the same boat on all accounts with Modano. Zubov and Lehtinen i think will retire if the team doesn't make the playoffs so that will leave us a good chunk of money to sign some players. Then Boucher will be gone without a doubt and that gives us even more cap space.

Old
10-23-2008, 11:47 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Maybe this will sound foreign, but this BS about the Stars getting too old is tired.

Modano, Lehtinen, and Zubov are old, yeah, but Morrow, Richards, Ribeiro, Robidas, and Turco aren't.

Modano’s a 3rd line center while Zubov and Lehtinen are never healthy.

The most important players on this team are either under 30 or 1 or 2 years older (The same team that went to the WCF finals last year after beating Anaheim and San Jose). Dallas problems this year have been youth on defense and the same shaky goaltending Dallas gets from Turco at the start of every season.

Old
10-23-2008, 12:00 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I hate to keep harping on this, but even Eklund said before this year that the Stars are too old.

Dallas has 2 forwards over 35: Modano - 38 and Lehtinen - 35
Dallas has 2 defenseman over 35: Zubov - 38 and Boucher - 35

Dallas has 4 forwards 23 or under: Eriksson, Brunnstrom*, Crombeen*, Neal*
Dallas has 4 defenseman 25 or under: Daley, Grossman**, Fistric**, Niskanen**
* = Rookie
**= Rookie last year

Dallas also has a rookie goaltender this year = Stephan

11 players are in their prime (Between 25 and 35 years of age).

If anything, Dallas got too young too fast and is now struggling with inconsistency.

Old
10-23-2008, 12:02 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Maybe this will sound foreign, but this BS about the Stars getting too old is tired.

Modano, Lehtinen, and Zubov are old, yeah, but Morrow, Richards, Ribeiro, Robidas, and Turco aren't.

Modano’s a 3rd line center while Zubov and Lehtinen are never healthy.

The most important players on this team are either under 30 or 1 or 2 years older (The same team that went to the WCF finals last year after beating Anaheim and San Jose). Dallas problems this year have been youth on defense and the same shaky goaltending Dallas gets from Turco at the start of every season.
Ok, I think you guys did it a little bit with mirrors last season, but that's just my opinion. I think that maybe you undervalue what Modano, Lehtinen, and Zubov brought to your team, because you don't have any players of their calibre ready to step in and replace them.

As a Kings fan I would be very happy to see you guys let those three play out the string in Dallas and get nothing in return for them. Also, I can tell you as a Kings' fan that youthful mistakes on defense don't get fixed overnight unless the youngsters are extremely talented. Good luck.

Old
10-23-2008, 12:06 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I hate to keep harping on this, but even Eklund said before this year that the Stars are too old.

Dallas has 2 forwards over 35: Modano - 38 and Lehtinen - 35
Dallas has 2 defenseman over 35: Zubov - 38 and Boucher - 35

Dallas has 4 forwards 23 or under: Eriksson, Brunnstrom*, Crombeen*, Neal*
Dallas has 4 defenseman 25 or under: Daley, Grossman**, Fistric**, Niskanen**
* = Rookie
**= Rookie last year

Dallas also has a rookie goaltender this year = Stephan

11 players are in their prime (Between 25 and 35 years of age).

If anything, Dallas got too young too fast and is now struggling with inconsistency.

Maybe, but are the bolded players really that good. My point is the younger talent that is replacing your older talent isn't even close to the same level. To get more talented young players you either do it through the draft or by trading vets.

Old
10-23-2008, 12:12 PM
batmansuncle

vCash: 1912
Quote:
Maybe, but are the bolded players really that good. My point is the younger talent that is replacing your older talent isn't even close to the same level. To get more talented young players you either do it through the draft or by trading vets.
Grossman and Erikkson are actually turning into very good players. Erikkson is looking like a Lehtinen and Grossman is turning into a very solid dman

Stephan, Frisitc, Crombeen i dont see doing much for us

Niskanen has tons of upside, but is struggling this year so who knows

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Eriksson is one of our better defensive forwards and should be a 20 goal scorer, we'll see I guess. Crombeen is a 4th liner.

Dallas made it to the playoffs last year with Boucher missing 50 games in the regular season and only playing 3 in the playoffs. Zubov missed from January until the 2nd or 3rd game of the Anaheim series. All 3 rookie defenseman played significant time leading up to the playoff, and Grossman was one of the best defenseman some nights in the playoffs. If they weren't any good, Dallas doesn't make it to the playoffs or past Anaheim.

The defenseman have played 8 games into their sophomore season. Even if they struggle the entire year, they’ll still turn out alright. Dallas just needs a veteran defenseman to slow things down for them. Well, really they just need Zubov to hurry up and get healthy and stay that way.

Old
10-23-2008, 12:53 PM
tylerbear*

I don`t think Dallas needs a re-build. The talent is there, they just need to find chemistry.

tylerbear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 01:51 PM
txomisc

dallas is better off waiting for the offseason and hoping a couple of guys hit UFA. I suspect they would go hard after bouwmeester and komisarek (although i doubt he hits ufa)

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
dallas is better off waiting for the offseason and hoping a couple of guys hit UFA. I suspect they would go hard after bouwmeester and komisarek (although i doubt he hits ufa)
Either of them would help this team immensely