HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Wild get jipped

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 09:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 500
Wild get jipped

Matvichuk high stick Pascal Dupuis after he got hooked. Dupuis goes down and is obviously not faking being hurt and the refs pretty much ignore the whole thing ever happened meanwhile Stu Barnes scores the go-ahead goal shorthanded

Old
02-27-2004, 10:03 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Matvichuk high stick Pascal Dupuis after he got hooked. Dupuis goes down and is obviously not faking being hurt and the refs pretty much ignore the whole thing ever happened meanwhile Stu Barnes scores the go-ahead goal shorthanded
Stars get gyped on a non-call elbow-to-the-head on Boucher.

I guess the terrible officating swings both ways...

Old
02-27-2004, 10:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet

I'll be honest and say I didn't see that, I didn't see most of the game, but that's a high stick that needs to be called no matter what had happened.

Referees are too interested in evening it up some times and not calling it the way it should be.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:05 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I'll be honest and say I didn't see that, I didn't see most of the game, but that's a high stick that needs to be called no matter what had happened.

Referees are too interested in evening it up some times and not calling it the way it should be.
That's the story of every NHL game, unfortunately.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:35 PM
ceber

Quote:

Well, Wiemer did get a cross-checking penalty on that play, so it's not like there was no call.

I'd guess the reason Dupuis didn't get a call was because the ref figured the hook caused the high stick. He must have seen it, since he was looking right at the play and called the hook. Looked to me like the high stick was caused by Matvichuk wriggling to get free of the hook, but that's the way it goes.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:41 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Well, Wiemer did get a cross-checking penalty on that play, so it's not like there was no call.

I'd guess the reason Dupuis didn't get a call was because the ref figured the hook caused the high stick. He must have seen it, since he was looking right at the play and called the hook. Looked to me like the high stick was caused by Matvichuk wriggling to get free of the hook, but that's the way it goes.
The high-sticking call can be a frustrating one at times. I remember during a game once, I got slew footed and fell backwards on my ass. I ended up hitting the guy beside me with my stick on his shoulder during my fall and I'm the one that got the two minutes (for high-sticking). I didn't see this play but it sounds almost like a similar situation. The ref told me, "You're always supposed to be in control of your stick, no matter what..."

Old
02-27-2004, 10:45 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped
The high-sticking call can be a frustrating one at times. I remember during a game once, I got slew footed and fell backwards on my ass. I ended up hitting the guy beside me with my stick on his shoulder during my fall and I'm the one that got the two minutes (for high-sticking). I didn't see this play but it sounds almost like a similar situation. The ref told me, "You're always supposed to be in control of your stick, no matter what..."
You totally deserved it, though. That was a cheap shot.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Hyped

Quote:
You totally deserved it, though. That was a cheap shot.

True, and even if I didn't deserve it for that one, I probably did for some other cheap shot. Just thinking about that game now is starting to make me angry. We were down 1-0 in the 3rd when I got the penalty. They scored on the power-play to go up 2-0 and then add an empty-netter to win 3-0. Could have been a totally different game. Damn...

Old
02-27-2004, 10:58 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped
True, and even if I didn't deserve it for that one, I probably did for some other cheap shot. Just thinking about that game now is starting to make me angry. We were down 1-0 in the 3rd when I got the penalty. They scored on the power-play to go up 2-0 and then add an empty-netter to win 3-0. Could have been a totally different game. Damn...
Yup. It's all your fault, bub. Hang your head in shame. :p

Old
02-28-2004, 04:47 AM
PecaFan

Argh. I hate that word. "Gypped" or "jipped" in this case is a slur, you know. Meaning "fraud, cheat, or swindle", it's actually short for Gypsy. So basically, you're insulting an entire race when you use it.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:03 AM
hockeyhomer99

Quote:

Weimer should have gotten a game misconduct for intent to injure, a fine and a suspension.. This is the things that used to get Hatcher fines and suspended.. Weimer's actions were clearly an intent, and should be reviewed by the league..Just wondering how come he did take Downey up on his offer..

Old
02-28-2004, 10:06 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Argh. I hate that word. "Gypped" or "jipped" in this case is a slur, you know. Meaning "fraud, cheat, or swindle", it's actually short for Gypsy. So basically, you're insulting an entire race when you use it.
No, actually, he isn't. The only people he's insulting are the simpletons who actually feel like he is intentionally downgrading their race. But why pander to those fools? 'Gypped', at one time a slap at gypsies, has no such connection in the mind of most people nowadays. They use the word freely and have no ill-will towards Gypsies (I've actually seen a woman of Gypsy decent use the word in reference to a TV she bought). There are many other words, especially negative ones, that derived from groups/classes/races of people. Most don't mind or atleast have fun with it (see the term Yankees). Those who do mind need to worry about something else because they clearly have too much time on their hands.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:11 AM
HeHateMeFrisbee

Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
oh come on, the NHL officiating is the best in the world. You should try being a ref one day!

Old
02-28-2004, 10:12 AM
HeHateMeFrisbee

Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
Quote:
last time I checked, Gypsy isnt a race. And anyway if you are a gypsy, you deserve to be made fun of.

Old
02-28-2004, 03:56 PM
PecaFan

Just because people don't know the etymology of a word, doesn't change the fact that it's still a slur.

When I was growing up "Indian giver" and "He jewed me" were also common. Now we recognise them for the slurs they are.

Just pointing out that "gyp/jip" is exactly the same to those that may not have noticed.

Old
02-28-2004, 04:53 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Just because people don't know the etymology of a word, doesn't change the fact that it's still a slur.
Agreed, it's still a slur. But intent should drive the unrest. If someone uses it to jab at Gypsies then it's a problem. But when it's harmlessly used (and it is an actual word in the dictionary) to accurately describe a situation, I see no harm in it. Maybe it's because I'm not into the whole PC movement, and that I have skin thicker than Saran wrap.

Closed Thread