HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

the one last thing I wish this team had....

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2004, 10:52 AM
GBailey93

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GBailey93
the one last thing I wish this team had....

....was a veteran who is a vocal leader and has won a Cup.

I am in no way doubting Keith Primeau and his leadership skills, because I think that he is a great leader. But I think that he leads more with his actions then his words. He was in a contract year, and sacrificed goal production for the better of his team, and has earned respect in the locker room and around the league.

But I look back to 99-00, and that Flyers team. It was the 2nd half of the season, and Clarke went out and got Rick Tocchet, a guy who has won before, and isn't afraid to put someone in their place. I think that the Flyers need a player like that, who is a leader, and who has won a cup before.

Personally, I think a deal for Messier and Leetch would be great, but unlikely, due to a rivalry, and that Messier plays center. But maybe Clarke paws off Richards and we could do it.

What do you think?

Old
02-28-2004, 10:56 AM
FlyersHomer DM03

I think there is someone who fits that role that we can get who won't cost us Mike Richards. Who? I don't know yet, but I really don't see us going and getting Messier. Good thought though

Old
02-28-2004, 11:05 AM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBailey93

I am in no way doubting Keith Primeau and his leadership skills, because I think that he is a great leader. But I think that he leads more with his actions then his words. He was in a contract year, and sacrificed goal production for the better of his team, and has earned respect in the locker room and around the league.

But I look back to 99-00, and that Flyers team. It was the 2nd half of the season, and Clarke went out and got Rick Tocchet, a guy who has won before, and isn't afraid to put someone in their place. I think that the Flyers need a player like that, who is a leader, and who has won a cup before.

Personally, I think a deal for Messier and Leetch would be great, but unlikely, due to a rivalry, and that Messier plays center. But maybe Clarke paws off Richards and we could do it.

What do you think?
Are Recchi and Leclair not loud enough for you? The C may not have won a cup, but pretty much all the A's have.

Old
02-28-2004, 11:07 AM
The Seeker 25

Send a message via AIM to The Seeker 25
Quote:

What do you think?
I like the leadership idea, and would love to have a Leetch to mentor Pitkanen (even though I do not believe the Rags would trade any of their beloved Cup champs to such a hated division rival, for fear of how their fans might react).

But make no mistake.......I do not want to see Carter and/or Richards (or Ruzicka for that matter) to be made part of any deals...unless the name coming back happens to be Luongo (which ain't happening).

Old
02-28-2004, 11:16 AM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker
But make no mistake.......I do not want to see Carter and/or Richards (or Ruzicka for that matter) to be made part of any deals...unless the name coming back happens to be Luongo (which ain't happening).
Yeah I've seen enough big prospects (or picks) leave in the last few seasons--Carter and Richards I'm still undecided on, but with Ruzicka I think we have a player. I sort of have the feeling that I'd rather see the Flyers win the cup by themselves, lets finally see Keith Primeau establish himself, instead of help from a ranger.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:02 PM
GBailey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Are Recchi and Leclair not loud enough for you? The C may not have won a cup, but pretty much all the A's have.
I am not looking for players who have won the Cup. We have plenty of those. But rather, looking for a vocal locker room leader. Recchi and LeClair don't seem like they will turn over tables and give the locker room its due if they are playing sub-par. A player like Messier or Tocchet (in his day) would do that.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

We had Tocchet in 2000 and it didn't do us any good, the team still collapsed.

LeClair, Desjardins, Recchi. I thought all those guys were leaders? Brian Leech doesn't seem like the kind of player that turns over tables either.

Old
02-28-2004, 01:33 PM
GBailey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
We had Tocchet in 2000 and it didn't do us any good, the team still collapsed.

LeClair, Desjardins, Recchi. I thought all those guys were leaders? Brian Leech doesn't seem like the kind of player that turns over tables either.
Well, we could also mention Lindros coming back in Game 6 and throwing off the team chemistry in that Devils series, but that is another debate for another thread.

Leetch, he won't turn over tables, and I never said he would. I was refering to Messier.

Old
02-28-2004, 02:28 PM
capn89*

Quote:
Well, we could also mention Lindros coming back in Game 6 and throwing off the team chemistry in that Devils series, but that is another debate for another thread.

Leetch, he won't turn over tables, and I never said he would. I was refering to Messier.
I hear you... Lindros, in my opinion, had no right even coming back. He should have kept his sorry ass sidelined and silent. The team went through two rounds without him, and came back in the pittsburgh series after being down 2 games to 0, and had a 3-1 series lead against the hated devils. If Lindros keeps quiet, sits out the rest of the playoffs, then Boucher becomes a Philadelphia legend, and the Flyers beat the Stars for the cup. I used to be a huge fan of the team, but now I just see him as a big, whiney *****. He's also stupid too, I bet you the words on his tomb stone will read "I Should Have Kept My Head Up."

Closed Thread