HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who's the best GM at this time of year?

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 11:32 PM
hackey

vCash: 500
Who's the best GM at this time of year?

Who are the best wheeler/dealers who make a difference via an impact trade?
My vote would be:
Best
Clarke (although he hasn't won the cup yet)
Lacoiux (sp) (hides in the weeds and pounces)
Holland
Lamorello
Quinn (especially when he was in Vancouver)
Muckler (picking up the right pieces)
unproven
Burke ( what the heck have you done? scared?)
Lowe (always makes a "sell" just for the sake of making a trade)
Fergusson ( rookie gm)
McPhee (easy to dump players for draft picks)
Sather

Old
02-27-2004, 11:34 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

you're listing as 'best' the ones who make the most trades rather than the best... 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Oulette for Adam Oates doesn't make me wanna call Clarke a good GM.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:35 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
my vote goes out to New Jersey Lou...

Old
02-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Lou,

But Poile has to be included, he's been very SHREWD in all his dealings, with other GM's in his existence.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:49 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
Uh, how do you know they're the right pieces? He hasn't accomplished anything yet!

I'm not sure what this poll is asking. The best trade deadline GMs over the past few years or so? I'd say Bryan Murray, even though he didn't win the Cup. Niedermayer and Thomas were instrumental in the Cup run last year. Lamoriello made some nice moves in getting Marshall and Rheaume last year, but IMO that was offset by the cluster***** that was Richard Smehlik.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Afino
The Juice

Louie Lamorello (sorry for mispelling if i did)....hands down.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:36 AM
chicpea*

Lou is all-popular but is also all-reputation. What makes him so good? Or, more precisely, what makes him "better" than others by so much? Anyone can be a tyrant. I must say though, I do like how he keeps a reign on his money. He is for sure one of the best at that. Also, the Mike Danton situation...

Old
02-28-2004, 12:38 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
Who are the best wheeler/dealers who make a difference via an impact trade?
My vote would be:
Best
Clarke (although he hasn't won the cup yet)
Lacoiux (sp) (hides in the weeds and pounces)
Holland
Lamorello
Quinn (especially when he was in Vancouver)
unproven
Burke ( what the heck have you done? scared?)
Lowe (always makes a "sell" just for the sake of making a trade)
Fergusson ( rookie gm)
McPhee (easy to dump players for draft picks)
Sather
Dave Taylor is the best GM.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:48 AM
ohlund2.2

Holland and Lacroix? Wow, I guess having tons of money can make anyone a great GM.

Oh wait...I forgot about Sather...that guy always ruins my argument.

Anyways, Lou's a great GM, among the best...

Burke...DO SOMETHING!

Old
02-28-2004, 12:49 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
Lou is all-popular but is also all-reputation. What makes him so good? Or, more precisely, what makes him "better" than others by so much? Anyone can be a tyrant. I must say though, I do like how he keeps a reign on his money. He is for sure one of the best at that. Also, the Mike Danton situation...
He's one step ahead of everybody else, that's what makes him one of the best. They said O.J. Simpson was great because he was already deciding on what his next move was going to be before he even made his first, that's how Lou operates. Sorry for the strange comparison but it was all I could think of.

Old
02-28-2004, 01:31 AM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
He's one step ahead of everybody else, that's what makes him one of the best. They said O.J. Simpson was great because he was already deciding on what his next move was going to be before he even made his first, that's how Lou operates. Sorry for the strange comparison but it was all I could think of.
Okay, fair enough -as an opinion. But what are some examples that put him into some new stratosphere? I just don't see it. There are many good GMs in the League but Lou always gets this myth-like aura handed to him. I mean, I love Stevens, Niedermayer, and Brodeur, but having these guys doesn't guarantee a GM a spot in the HHOF. I mean, that whole Larry Robinson affair seemed pretty sordid and disruptive to me. Is that the move of the best GM in sports? I'm not trying to say he's brutal; he's not. But why is he "the best in hockey?"

Old
02-28-2004, 01:46 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Lou Lamoriello

Langenbrunner and Niewendyk for Arnott was pure genius.

Old
02-28-2004, 01:57 AM
c-carp

Pierre Lacroix he gets his team what they need. Simple as that.

Old
02-28-2004, 02:40 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
you're listing as 'best' the ones who make the most trades rather than the best... 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Oulette for Adam Oates doesn't make me wanna call Clarke a good GM.
The question was: "Who are the best wheeler/dealers who make a difference via an impact trade?"

Clarke makes plenty of impact trades.

Old
02-28-2004, 03:40 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

the title is "Who's the best GM at this time of year?" not "Which GM makes the biggest impact trades at this time of year?"

and Lamoriello, outside of the Sykora/Friesen deal, doesn't really make impact trades at the deadline...

Old
02-28-2004, 04:34 AM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Pierre Lacroix he gets his team what they need. Simple as that.
By selling it's complete future away. I can still see Detroit and NJ competitive in 5 years, but not the Avs (especially if that rumored trade with the Caps goes down). That's the difference IMO.

Old
02-28-2004, 07:10 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
How about Craig Patrick? He's proven much more than many of these guys about deadline deals that would put your team over the top.

Old
02-28-2004, 07:47 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
the title is "Who's the best GM at this time of year?" not "Which GM makes the biggest impact trades at this time of year?"

and Lamoriello, outside of the Sykora/Friesen deal, doesn't really make impact trades at the deadline...

Peter Stastny

Neal Broten

Doug Gilmour

Alex Mogilny

Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner

Friesen/Tverdovsky

You wouldn't consider those "impact" deals??????

Old
02-28-2004, 07:49 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV
Peter Stastny

Neal Broten

Doug Gilmour

Alex Mogilny

Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner

Friesen/Tverdovsky

Ohhh I forgot a couple like

Dave Andreychuk

Steve Thomas

Jason Arnott

Old
02-28-2004, 07:51 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV
Peter Stastny

Neal Broten

Doug Gilmour

Alex Mogilny

Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner

Friesen/Tverdovsky

I was only considering the last couple of years (2-3) .. I haven't actually been following hockey longer than that

Old
02-28-2004, 07:59 AM
DutchLeafsfan

Send a message via ICQ to DutchLeafsfan Send a message via MSN to DutchLeafsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
The question was: "Who are the best wheeler/dealers who make a difference via an impact trade?"

Clarke makes plenty of impact trades.
True, but how many of those were good trades?

Old
02-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
Okay, fair enough -as an opinion. But what are some examples that put him into some new stratosphere? I just don't see it. There are many good GMs in the League but Lou always gets this myth-like aura handed to him. I mean, I love Stevens, Niedermayer, and Brodeur, but having these guys doesn't guarantee a GM a spot in the HHOF. I mean, that whole Larry Robinson affair seemed pretty sordid and disruptive to me. Is that the move of the best GM in sports? I'm not trying to say he's brutal; he's not. But why is he "the best in hockey?"
Were not talking about inducting him into the HHOF but who's the best GM and I'm not saying he's even the best, he might be he might not. But what he has done defenitly ranks him as one of the best if not the best. He has won three Stanley Cups by building teams not buying them or spending incredible amounts of money as some have. Right now the Devils roster consists of 14 players that the Devils either drafted or signed right after college, I have no idea how that ranks among the other teams but it has to be near the top, and it's one thing to do that and be competive in this age it's totally another to do it and consistantly win Stanley Cups. His budget is low mostly at his own choosing, and he has from day one instilled a team first policy that the players have bought into. And when he does make a trade rarely if ever does he give up more than what he's getting and that's why he never gets involved in the bidding wars for the top players and trades for what seems at the time to be insigneficant players at the time but eventually are pieces that fill the puzzle. I can understand why people don't like the guy but I don't get why would want to deny him his due?

Last edited by Ronnie Bass: 02-28-2004 at 09:01 AM.
Old
02-28-2004, 08:53 AM
blah

Zhamnov this season. Amonte and Yushky were good pickups close to the deadline last season.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:02 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Were not talking about inducting him into the HHOF but who's the best GM and I'm not saying he's even the best, he might be he might not. But what he has done defenitly ranks him as the best if not the best. He has won three Stanley Cups by building teams not buying them or spending incredible amounts of money as some have. Right now the Devils roster consists of 14 players that the Devils either drafted or signed right after college, I have no idea how that ranks among the other teams but it has to be near the top, and it's one thing to do that and be competive in this age it's totally another to do it and consistantly win Stanley Cups. His budget is low mostly at his own choosing, and he has from day one instilled a team first policy that the players have bought into. And when he does make a trade rarely if ever does he give up more than what he's getting and that's why he never gets involved in the bidding wars for the top players and trades for what seems at the time to be insigneficant players at the time but eventually are pieces that fill the puzzle. I can understand why people don't like the guy but I don't get why would want to deny him his due?
Are saying he chooses to keep the budget low? lol

I'd hardly call never getting into bidding wars a positive trait. There's nothing good about missing out on players that could help the team.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:15 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Are saying he chooses to keep the budget low? lol

I'd hardly call never getting into bidding wars a positive trait. There's nothing good about missing out on players that could help the team.
I see it as a positive thing because he will never overpay for a player or package which can hurt the teams future down the road. There is no double edge sword like the one where you give up to much and end up getting nothing in return in the end. Ask Bobby Clarke. :p

Closed Thread