HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who's the best GM at this time of year?

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2004, 10:44 AM
chicpea*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Were not talking about inducting him into the HHOF but who's the best GM and I'm not saying he's even the best, he might be he might not. But what he has done defenitly ranks him as one of the best if not the best. He has won three Stanley Cups by building teams not buying them or spending incredible amounts of money as some have. Right now the Devils roster consists of 14 players that the Devils either drafted or signed right after college, I have no idea how that ranks among the other teams but it has to be near the top, and it's one thing to do that and be competive in this age it's totally another to do it and consistantly win Stanley Cups. His budget is low mostly at his own choosing, and he has from day one instilled a team first policy that the players have bought into. And when he does make a trade rarely if ever does he give up more than what he's getting and that's why he never gets involved in the bidding wars for the top players and trades for what seems at the time to be insigneficant players at the time but eventually are pieces that fill the puzzle. I can understand why people don't like the guy but I don't get why would want to deny him his due?
I totally agree, as I said above, the way Lou keeps a handle on his money. I also admire the way NJ snagged Parise when everyone else passed on him. And 3 Stanley Cups have never hurt a GM's reputation. . While I think Lou is a great GM, personally, I think there are others who are underrated and are equally deserving in respect. Burke, for a similar job on a low-end budget (no Cups though) and his commitment to his 'blueprint' when people are hollering for trades (let the flames begin). He too, like Lou, has played hardball when neccessary (Umberger and Danton seem similar to me for some reason; schaefer -was it a mistake? most would argue no I bet). I would rank Risebrough up there among the deserving of respect; not for the shoe-string budget, but for what he does with it. It doesn't take a genious to draft Gaborik when you have a high pick, but his reclamation projects (gaborik and park and yes, even, Daigle -all of whom had bounced around for a long time) and drafting have been impressive (jury might be still out there but I am impressed with what they have coming up). I don't think he'll be winning a cup soon, but I think he's performed above expectations. I would also rank Dave Taylor up among my favourites for putting together (only on paper unfortunately) a solid team. I like that he grabbed Cechmanek when everyone in the world had not only given up on the guy but blamed him for eveything from Philly's untimely defeats to the bursting of the internet stock bubble. He has shown great patience with, and (deserved) confidence in Murray to boot. Daryl Sutter and Bob Gainey (I'll try not be too much a homer here) are unproven in some ways but Gainey has made some great acquisitions (losing nothing) like Bégin and single-handedly turned Brisebois' season (maybe career) around at the biginning of the year. Does this make him great or even good? No, not yet. But there are others around who (only imo) are equally deserving of the respect Lou gets. Not all for the same reasons mind you. Then again, I might be way off.

Old
02-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV
Peter Stastny

Neal Broten

Doug Gilmour

Alex Mogilny

Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner

Friesen/Tverdovsky

You wouldn't consider those "impact" deals??????
The Friesen/Tverdovsky deal happened over the summer, and Dave Andreychuk and Doug Gilmour didn't accomplish a whole lot in New Jersey.

Old
02-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
How about Craig Patrick? He's proven much more than many of these guys about deadline deals that would put your team over the top.
I agree... Craig Patrick is great at helping other teams improve their clubs!

Old
02-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
He has won three Stanley Cups by building teams not buying them or spending incredible amounts of money as some have. Right now the Devils roster consists of 14 players that the Devils either drafted or signed right after college, I have no idea how that ranks among the other teams but it has to be near the top, and it's one thing to do that and be competive in this age it's totally another to do it and consistantly win Stanley Cups.
Pretty sure last season the Devils and Senators both had the most home grown talent on their rosters of all the teams in the league.

Old
02-28-2004, 01:40 PM
BM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
Okay, fair enough -as an opinion. But what are some examples that put him into some new stratosphere? I just don't see it. There are many good GMs in the League but Lou always gets this myth-like aura handed to him. I mean, I love Stevens, Niedermayer, and Brodeur, but having these guys doesn't guarantee a GM a spot in the HHOF. I mean, that whole Larry Robinson affair seemed pretty sordid and disruptive to me. Is that the move of the best GM in sports? I'm not trying to say he's brutal; he's not. But why is he "the best in hockey?"
Stevens acquired as compensation for StL singing Shanahan. Bold move that paid off big time. Niedermayer was drafted with TO's 1st round pick which cost Lou Tom Kurvers. The kind of deal Sam Pollock was famous for. Brodeur was drafted with a pick, 20th, that Lou traded down to, when Calgary moved up to 11th to grab Kidd.

Broten deal was key to the 95 Cup. Mogilny deal was a key in the 2000 Cup. The Langenbrunner deal in 02 was key in the 03 Cup.

Of course drafting is his main strength. 14 roster players drafted by the Devils, and 2 signed as undrafted players. Also by my count 16 of the other 29 teams have at least one Devils draft pick on their roster.

Add in the fact that he's kept the team competetive for over a decade with a middle of the road payroll, and it looks like a very good resume to me.

Old
02-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Burke....

Oh I thought you meant the best at doing DIDDLY SQAUT NOTHING!!!!

Old
02-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67
Stevens acquired as compensation for StL singing Shanahan. Bold move that paid off big time. Niedermayer was drafted with TO's 1st round pick which cost Lou Tom Kurvers. The kind of deal Sam Pollock was famous for. Brodeur was drafted with a pick, 20th, that Lou traded down to, when Calgary moved up to 11th to grab Kidd.

Broten deal was key to the 95 Cup. Mogilny deal was a key in the 2000 Cup. The Langenbrunner deal in 02 was key in the 03 Cup.

Of course drafting is his main strength. 14 roster players drafted by the Devils, and 2 signed as undrafted players. Also by my count 16 of the other 29 teams have at least one Devils draft pick on their roster.

Add in the fact that he's kept the team competetive for over a decade with a middle of the road payroll, and it looks like a very good resume to me.
And we can't forget him scooping up Brian Rafalski and John Madden, two free agents who were playing amateur hockey. Most of the players on the Devils roster have been together for quite a few seasons.
The Devils don't seem to go through that many changes per season, and why should they with all the success they have had.

Old
02-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
the title is "Who's the best GM at this time of year?" not "Which GM makes the biggest impact trades at this time of year?"

and Lamoriello, outside of the Sykora/Friesen deal, doesn't really make impact trades at the deadline...
That was an off-season trade. He made the Morrison/Mogilny trade at the deadline, and he also made the Nieuwendyk/Langenbrunner for Mckay/Arnott at the deadline.

Old
02-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Evilo

vCash: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
I agree... Craig Patrick is great at helping other teams improve their clubs!
Yes! Especially the Kings who are a contender now that they've traded "scrubs" for Straka!
Errhhhh wait... we're two months later now... OUCH!

Old
02-28-2004, 02:54 PM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
And we can't forget him scooping up Brian Rafalski and John Madden, two free agents who were playing amateur hockey. Most of the players on the Devils roster have been together for quite a few seasons.
The Devils don't seem to go through that many changes per season, and why should they with all the success they have had.
I'm pretty sure "undrafted players" was meant as free agents...

Old
02-28-2004, 02:55 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Lou hands down

Old
02-28-2004, 03:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Yes! Especially the Kings who are a contender now that they've traded "scrubs" for Straka!
Errhhhh wait... we're two months later now... OUCH!
What the hell is that supposed to mean? Last I checked, the Kings were a contending team for a playoff spot...
And I'd call Strbak a scrub (pretty much like most of the Penguins), Anshakov is a good prospect though, should be in the NHL in a few years.

And whenever Straka has played he's helped a great deal (and he will be back this week).

Old
02-28-2004, 04:09 PM
punchy1

Bitter Pens fan.

Old
02-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Bitter Pens fan.
Can you blame him? I guess I would be bitter too if my team was eliminated from the playoffs in February and just went through an 18 game losing streak.

Yet the Kings team of scrubs somehow manage a way to win.

Either way, no, Craig Patrick shouldn't even be considered to be one of the best GM's at this time of the year... maybe in the past but sure as hell not today.

Old
02-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey
Lowe (always makes a "sell" just for the sake of making a trade)
Lowe doesn't make trades just for the sake of making them. That's what annoys some fans.

Old
02-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Bitter Pens fan.
I'm not bitter at all!
In fact I'm very happy with the deal, like most Pens fan.
Anshakov had a great WJC and Strbak played well before his injury.
I was just pointing that after the Straka trade, many people called the Kings a contender.
Seeing as ZS has about half his posts made of Pens bashing, I thought that it would be funny to point that his comment that was supposed ot be witty was in fact... flat...

Sorry if my sense of humor, which is probably weird didn't come across as expected.

That said, I wish all the best to Marty Straka and the Kings.

Old
02-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
I'm not bitter at all!
In fact I'm very happy with the deal, like most Pens fan.
Anshakov had a great WJC and Strbak played well before his injury.
I was just pointing that after the Straka trade, many people called the Kings a contender.
Seeing as ZS has about half his posts made of Pens bashing, I thought that it would be funny to point that his comment that was supposed ot be witty was in fact... flat...

Sorry if my sense of humor, which is probably weird didn't come across as expected.

That said, I wish all the best to Marty Straka and the Kings.

Your humor came off as being flat... and bitter. Funny how when people talk about GM's, nobody mentions Craig Patrick except for you. Seems like more than half of your posts are homer-ish?

Old
02-29-2004, 02:53 AM
Evilo

Think you'd know how to use the search feature?

Old
02-29-2004, 03:16 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
I'd pick Lou but his work is 99% done before the season, he just picks up a cherry for the cake at the end. Honestly its not fair to compare GMs based on their deadline deals because not all teams are on equal footing.

Some GMs don't have US$80m to throw at UFAs. That isn't a failing of the GMs who have to run on reasonable budgets.

Some GMs have stronger teams and better prospect bases. Nashville is still a team on the way up, it wouldn't make sense for them to throw picks and prospects at UFAs. Its hardly the fault of the some GMs because doing nothing may be the better option, but you get no credit for that.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:26 PM
DallasStars2003

Send a message via AIM to DallasStars2003
Bob Gainey was a good GM for Dallas up until around late 2001. Doug Armstrong has been pretty good but the Stars don't have all that much of a future.

Harry Sinden and Michael O'Connell haven't necessarily been bad, but mostly frustrating GMs. It's frustrating knowing that if a player is in a contract year, you know they aren't coming back. The same better not happen with Joe Thornton, though.

Closed Thread