HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltender proposal

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2004, 07:49 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Goaltender proposal

It looks like the Kings may take a goaltender in the first round of this year's entry draft. Rather than waiting for the pick to develop, I was wondering if a trade like this would interest you guys:

Detroit's 1st + one of Gherson/Stana/Daigneault

for

Zizka and your 1st (or maybe just your 1st)

Old
03-01-2004, 08:01 PM
jfont

Awards:
how about zizka and a 1st for Oellet and a 5th?

03-01-2004, 08:31 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
how about zizka and a 1st for Oellet and a 5th?

Ouellet is an elite prospect in the same way that Grebeshkov is an elite prospect. He won't be traded on the basis of his value as a prospect plus he would not be traded for that package.

That being said, all the goalies in the original proposal have a decent chance of becoming starters at the NHL level.

I was just wondering if L.A. would be willing to move down in the draft for a good goaltending prospect.

Old
03-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Big Kov

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsFan@Vassar
It looks like the Kings may take a goaltender in the first round of this year's entry draft. Rather than waiting for the pick to develop, I was wondering if a trade like this would interest you guys:

for

Where do i sign?

Old
03-01-2004, 11:09 PM
kingbrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsFan@Vassar

for

DEAL!!!

Old
03-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Chartrand

I'd be all over that.

Stana's a great prospect, but I really like the idea of grabbing Daigneault.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:40 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHL MV
I'd be all over that.

Stana's a great prospect, but I really like the idea of grabbing Daigneault.
Obviously our scouts didn't or else we wouldn't have passed on him.

Although, it's not like they have a great track record when it comes to selecting goalies. Zaba is looking like a good one so far though

Old
03-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Chartrand

I believe Zaba, and Munce, while great prospects, don't have a particular style. Daigneault is a large quebecois butterfly goalie, much like Maxime Ouellet. Obviously technique isn't everything, but the closest thing to this breed of goaltender that the Kings have in the system is Chouinard, and he's more of a standup netminder.

I don't know if LA would take a chance on another 'tender instead of letting Munce and Zaba duke it it, though, but I would love to have someone in the Giguere/Theodore mold...where the Kings are lacking.

Old
03-02-2004, 12:38 AM
st_roland

In theory, I like the idea. Instead of Zizka though, is there any way we could pry Rome away instead?

Old
03-02-2004, 12:54 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHL MV
I believe Zaba, and Munce, while great prospects, don't have a particular style. Daigneault is a large quebecois butterfly goalie, much like Maxime Ouellet. Obviously technique isn't everything, but the closest thing to this breed of goaltender that the Kings have in the system is Chouinard, and he's more of a standup netminder.

I don't know if LA would take a chance on another 'tender instead of letting Munce and Zaba duke it it, though, but I would love to have someone in the Giguere/Theodore mold...where the Kings are lacking.
Hehe. That was my theory after the Gigeure/Brodeur showdown last year. Pick a foward or D in the first two rounds, then take any and every Quebecouis(sp) goaltender we can get our hands on. :p

He is not a butterfly goalie, but it is possible Montoya could fall to us in the first

Old
03-02-2004, 12:55 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_roland
In theory, I like the idea. Instead of Zizka though, is there any way we could pry Rome away instead?
Probably. I'm starting to get the feeling that we may not sign him.

Old
03-02-2004, 01:16 AM
no name

If I'm gonna trade for a goal tender of the future I would like to have either Noronon of Biron of Buffalo.

Old
03-02-2004, 01:26 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name
If I'm gonna trade for a goal tender of the future I would like to have either Noronon of Biron of Buffalo.
Neither of those guys are what I would consider "the future". Biron is going to be 27 this year and Noronen 25. Neither of them seem to have any up tapped potential left so at this point it's pretty much what you see it what you get.

Besides, what we really need is a "franchise" goaltender. Easier said then done I know, but there seem to be more than a few teams that have em'. And then there are some that seem to keep finding them in bunches(San Jose)

Last edited by Legionnaire: 03-02-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Old
03-02-2004, 02:42 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Neither of those guys are what I would consider "the future". Biron is going to be 27 this year and Noronen 25. Neither of them seem to have any up tapped potential left so at this point it's pretty much what you see it what you get.

Besides, what we really need is a "franchise" goaltender. Easier said then done I know, but there seem to be more than a few teams that have em'. And then there are some that seem to keep finding them in bunches(San Jose)
okay, three questions to the forum:
1. whom would you pick if you could have ANY goaltender right now
2. whom would you pick if you could have ANY prospect goaltender right now
3. whom do you think may be someone in our price range? or do you think that trading for one is out of the question?

i'll say
1. jose theodore
2. maxim oullet
3. no - unless we trade up for montoya

Old
03-02-2004, 03:21 AM
Capn Brown

I've been saying all along that DT should try to steal Daigneault from the Caps, so I'd say deal. However, we're also trying to get (if you follow the rumours) Witt from you guys. How about:

Zizka & our 1st

for

Daigneault & Witt?

Old
03-02-2004, 07:23 AM
PSUhockey34

Take Witt's name out of the equation unless the Caps get 2 NHL caliber dmen(#3-5 pairings) in return...i know thats ridiculous steep but thats how bad the situation is on our blue line right now

Look for Stana and Oullet to be battling for atleast the #2 goaltender fulltime next year...our goal tending depth leaves with a ton of options so the caps could afford to let one slip away and I think Daigneault would be the focal point of the trade

But realistically I dont McPhee making this trade, he's hardly ever traded prospects away, the only time thats really happened was the Jagr trade

Old
03-02-2004, 08:14 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator
okay, three questions to the forum:
1. whom would you pick if you could have ANY goaltender right now
2. whom would you pick if you could have ANY prospect goaltender right now
3. whom do you think may be someone in our price range? or do you think that trading for one is out of the question?

i'll say
1. jose theodore
2. maxim oullet
3. no - unless we trade up for montoya
1. Roberto Luongo. It's hard to go against Brodeur here but Luongo wins out because of age

2. Marc Andre Fleury or Kari Lehtonen

3. Price range? I don't see anyone decent in our price range. Teams just don't trade their most valuable assets for peanuts.

Old
03-02-2004, 09:59 AM
punchy1

First, Thanks to caps fan for posting such an even and interesting proposal. I would also say cheers to the rest of our visitors for thier counter proposals as well. Great topic.

I would have to think on this one. I reckon that on the original question that I would make the deal but that would only be based on what I have read about them during thier draft times. I would say that of the names mentioned that Daigneult has the name recognition but as others have said, Stana might be the peach of the pair. I would do it.

Zizka + 1st (choice this year or next) to Caps

Saba + 1st to Kings

On the Nav question (brilliant) I would say,

Luongo

Lehtonen (simply for the fact that he is being brought along in the right manner in my opinion)

Yes, but it would take some massaging.

legoinne, they might do it though if they are loaded to the teeth at a position like the Caps are. I mean, if they don't have them all signed to contracts, the time will come when they have to. Only two of them can be in the NHL at any time and then you would only want one of them to be developing on your AHL team or it could be damaging to his developement. We could get lucky in a situation like this because we are A, as far away from the Caps we could get, and, B, They are full to the gills with talented goalie prospects who all should make some sort of career or another in the NHL.

On the Witt issue, I would reckon that Rome thrown into the mix would make that happen.

Zizka, Rome, swap firsts and a conditional mid rounder depending on Witt signing a long term deal with the Kings. (5th if yes, 7th if no)

Saba, Witt swap firsts

Old
03-02-2004, 10:18 AM
King Blazer

Well, given Taylor's comments in today's USA Today re: looking at picking up a "depth" goaltender now given the lack of a "firm timetable" on RC's return, the week ahead just got more interesting for sure!

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...e-taylor_x.htm

Last edited by King Blazer: 03-02-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old
03-02-2004, 10:36 AM
punchy1

Cheers for that mate. I love the bit where he credits Squid as one of our best forwards (as well as a few others). Its nice to know he feels that way. This certainly does change things. Wow.

Old
03-02-2004, 10:38 AM
guzmania

Good find Blazer, might deserve it's own thread.

A thing or 2...Taylor is looking for all positions....5 or 6 young players are out as far as sending the future away for help now. Does that mean that 3 or 4 could go?...Byron Defoe? Gonchar or Witt? The Buffalo goalies? A NY Rags personage? O' Neil? Salo and Smith for Bellanger, Rome, Kuznetzov and Steckle? Lotsa places to go not much time. We have the low priced talent that some teams crave and the payroll flexibility to do a deal.

Old
03-02-2004, 10:52 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmaniac
Good find Blazer, might deserve it's own thread.

A thing or 2...Taylor is looking for all positions....5 or 6 young players are out as far as sending the future away for help now. Does that mean that 3 or 4 could go?...Byron Defoe? Gonchar or Witt? The Buffalo goalies? A NY Rags personage? O' Neil? Salo and Smith for Bellanger, Rome, Kuznetzov and Steckle? Lotsa places to go not much time. We have the low priced talent that some teams crave and the payroll flexibility to do a deal.
The 5 or 6 young players really turned my head as well. Why not say 2 or 3 and so on?

The one thing that really throws me back a little is the Hnilicka situation. He's back on the ice with the Monarchs and expected to play Friday night. I know he's battled injuries all season as well, but he was supposed to be the "experienced depth" that LA got for next to nothing and now it looks as though he could be out of the picture in LA. I really just don't get that one.

Old
03-02-2004, 11:26 AM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
On the Witt issue, I would reckon that Rome thrown into the mix would make that happen.

Zizka, Rome, swap firsts and a conditional mid rounder depending on Witt signing a long term deal with the Kings. (5th if yes, 7th if no)

Saba, Witt swap firsts
For even the caps to consider taking Ceckmanek on in a trade, Kolzig would have to be traded before hand

Zizka for Witt doesnt really improve the capitals blueline problems now are even in the future, witt is only a few years older then Zizka and is proven NHL dmen with alot of hockey still left in him

Because of this joke of a season we're having right now, no doubt we'll be getting a fairly high draft pick in this year's draft so i dont think we'll be swapping picks to draft later in the 1st round

Daigneault would be the goalie to go after who has is the most available with the highest potential but like I said before, McPhee rarely trades prospects

The player the caps would be the most interested in would be Gleason...I dont know what kind of trade it would take, any ideas?

Old
03-02-2004, 11:30 AM
punchy1

Rome is one of the top young defencive prospects in our org and some would say in the game (yet to matriculate). Sorry for not listing that.

Old
03-02-2004, 11:33 AM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Rome is one of the top young defencive prospects in our org and some would say in the game (yet to matriculate). Sorry for not listing that.
Sorry I thought you were talking about ceckmanek, if that makes sense at all

Closed Thread