HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Lord Jeff Carter

Old
10-31-2008, 09:57 AM
facts

vCash: 500
My Lord Jeff Carter

man is this what we have been waiting for! He has looked downright dominant out there (with the exception of in the faceoff circle) but he has looked so comfortable on the ice, so smooth, I can't imagine this guy in 2-3 years.
And Luca is really looking good too. He is really starting to get the puck on net and is chipping in with some assists, nice to see.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Kaktus*

This is why I was against any kind of Carter trade even for Jay-Bo. We can not replace him.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-31-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Richyrich

Maybe we should start a Jeff Carter countdown thread

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 11:13 AM
JB5

I agree that he looks fantastic when he is within 5 feet of the puck, but he still strikes me as very lazy otherwise. I watch him whenever he is on the ice and it drives me nuts to see him just gliding around.

Don't get me wrong, I still love him as a player, but if he ever gave the full effort that Richards gives, he'd be a superstar talent.

JB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
man is this what we have been waiting for!
Yup. In one of the games against the devils he looked incredible, but I still had to wonder if he was just getting the bounces. After last night you knew the man had arrived.

And with Richards proving his offensive dominance last year was no fluke, or that he had no intentions to go the S. Stevens/Primeau route of captaining mostly through defense, things look great for this season.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:46 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB5 View Post
I agree that he looks fantastic when he is within 5 feet of the puck, but he still strikes me as very lazy otherwise. I watch him whenever he is on the ice and it drives me nuts to see him just gliding around.

Don't get me wrong, I still love him as a player, but if he ever gave the full effort that Richards gives, he'd be a superstar talent.
Lidstrom and Pronger don't skimp on the effort but you'll be hardpressed to call them lazy. They're efficient, just like Carter is. It's no wonder why he continues to beat out Richards for having the least goals scored against at even strength year in and year out.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Lidstrom and Pronger don't skimp on the effort but you'll be hardpressed to call them lazy. They're efficient, just like Carter is. It's no wonder why he continues to beat out Richards for having the least goals scored against at even strength year in and year out.
Richards being used against the top lines might have something to do with that too

Old
10-31-2008, 12:52 PM
tytech

Quote:
Where's your Source? I have a hard time believing that. At even strength? Richards is more of a penalty killer than Carter and will have more of a minus for it but at even strength I would like to see proven.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:44 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
Where's your Source? I have a hard time believing that. At even strength? Richards is more of a penalty killer than Carter and will have more of a minus for it but at even strength I would like to see proven.
Behindthenet.ca

Jeff Carter
2006-07 - 3.86 goals against per 60 minutes played [.03 COMP, .12 TEAM]
2007-08 - 2.36 goals against per 60 minutes played [.01 COMP, .17 TEAM]
2008-09 - 1.99 goals against per 60 minutes played [.41 COMP, -.38 TEAM]

Mike Richards
2006-07 - 3.37 goals against per 60 minutes played [.00 COMP, -.20 TEAM]
2007-08 - 2.67 goals against per 60 minutes played [.05 COMP, .11 TEAM]
2008-09 - 2.94 goals against per 60 minutes played [-.21 COMP, .83 TEAM]

Note: The more positive the COMP rating, the better the players one face on average.
The more positive the TEAM rating, the better the players one plays with on average.
Season in red was worst season in franchise history.

Carter also had less ES goals against his rookie season. Although, Richards did spend more time on ice, the difference of which was spent on the PK. PP goals scored against were left unaccounted for in both instances.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
Behindthenet.ca

Jeff Carter

Mike Richards

Note: The more positive the COMP rating, the better the players one face on average.
The more positive the TEAM rating, the better the players one plays with on average.

Carter also had less ES goals against his rookie season. Although, Richards did spend more time on ice, the difference of which was spent on the PK. PP goals scored against were left unaccounted for in both instances.
Again, what's lost in these numbers is that richards is more often used to shut down the opposing team's top line

Old
10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
Again, what's lost in these numbers is that richards is more often used to shut down the opposing team's top line

I think it's accounted for... unless I'm misinterpreting. Not that I believe any of this can be quantified anyway.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:39 PM
BringBackStevens

It's a myth that Richards has faced top competition any more so than Carter over the past 2 seasons. Pure myth. Carter was used as our premiere shut down forward for a very large stretch last season.

Calling him lazy is hilarious. He's a better skater than Richards and has a different frame and build. He isn't going to look the same when he's skating out there

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:40 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Behindthenet.ca

Jeff Carter

Mike Richards

well its been said allready, but I will say it again, Richards is out there against the other teams top forwards. Jeff Carter usually is not. Not saying Carter isnt good defensively because he is, its just kind of odd to use this as a measuring stick between Carter and Richards.
I admit I was willing to deal Carter for Bouwmeester before the season started. Not now. it would be a big mistake to trade Carter.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
well its been said allready, but I will say it again, Richards is out there against the other teams top forwards. Jeff Carter usually is not. Not saying Carter isnt good defensively because he is, its just kind of odd to use this as a measuring stick between Carter and Richards.
I admit I was willing to deal Carter for Bouwmeester before the season started. Not now. it would be a big mistake to trade Carter.
You're missing what that is telling you...last year Carter faced notably stiffer competition whilst on the ice. About the only guy Richards was "matched up" against last year was Crosby, but that's also partially due to the fact that Carter was matching up with Malkin (Richards doesn't really have the size to deal with Malkin all that easily). What's more, what those numbers also tell you is that Carter got the shaft on linemates in comparison to Richards last year.

Richards is a smart and heady player, and an exceptional penalty killer....but it's a myth that he's a defensive stalwart in comparison to Carter. Especially last year when Carter began to assert himself defensively.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:56 PM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
It's a myth that Richards has faced top competition any more so than Carter over the past 2 seasons. Pure myth. Carter was used as our premiere shut down forward for a very large stretch last season.

Calling him lazy is hilarious. He's a better skater than Richards and has a different frame and build. He isn't going to look the same when he's skating out there
Agreed, I don't like the lazy tab fits. In the OHL Carter was voted the smartest player in the league, combined with his effortless stride, he is just able to manipulate most plays by recognizing his route/lanes ect.. His stride is effortless ans his hands are really coming. His deflection goal to me wasn't pretty but to me displayed his confidence and and his overall petigree. The thing that drives me is that people comment negatively on his performance citing an off year when he scores 30 goals.

Last edited by facts: 10-31-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: adding more
facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:16 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You're missing what that is telling you...last year Carter faced notably stiffer competition whilst on the ice. About the only guy Richards was "matched up" against last year was Crosby, but that's also partially due to the fact that Carter was matching up with Malkin (Richards doesn't really have the size to deal with Malkin all that easily). What's more, what those numbers also tell you is that Carter got the shaft on linemates in comparison to Richards last year.

Richards is a smart and heady player, and an exceptional penalty killer....but it's a myth that he's a defensive stalwart in comparison to Carter. Especially last year when Carter began to assert himself defensively.
well thats what I get for not completely reading posts. something I admit I am guilty of from time to time. That said, I wasnt trying to say that Richards is far and away better defensively then Carter.
It was Richards though who hurt Malkin with that check in game 1 and he was never the same for the rest of the playoffs.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Rover*

Carter has rocked this year! And people laughed at eklund's 100 point 40-60 prediction for carter! Ok...he still needs to work on the assists, but he could get 50 goals at this rate!

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:21 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
Maybe we should start a Jeff Carter countdown thread
Countdown to 40 goals?

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

I'm far from a hockey analyst. I just saw something special in him, and he's really pulling it together.

Every time he scores my buddy texts me, "should have traded hi ass!"

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:38 PM
mm6492

+

=

learned that in math class yesterday

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 07:02 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post

+

=

learned that in math class yesterday
I like it. Its hard to realize how great our group of Fwds is. If we are on our game we can send wave after wave of attack. Carter is the main reason for this balance, just look at our lineup w/o him...

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 08:21 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

The big question though is what will happen when Briere comes back. What worries me about Carter is that when someone gets hurt (last season it was Richards, this season it's Briere), he steps his game up to a whole new level. Once said injured player returns, Carter's game plateaus. With that being said, this is also year 4 for Carter, so he should have a monster year. Usually players have their big year after being in the league for three years, but it looks like Carter might be a 4th year guy just due to the fact he was still growing into his frame. Either way, there's no reason to believe that Carter can't hit 40 this year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 09:33 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB5 View Post

I agree. There was an instance in one of the games against NJ where he could have caught a guy but didn't turn the afterburners on. I know he has a smooth skating style that looks effortless, but he doesn't put the extra effort in all the time.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 12:05 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The big question though is what will happen when Briere comes back. What worries me about Carter is that when someone gets hurt (last season it was Richards, this season it's Briere), he steps his game up to a whole new level. Once said injured player returns, Carter's game plateaus. With that being said, this is also year 4 for Carter, so he should have a monster year. Usually players have their big year after being in the league for three years, but it looks like Carter might be a 4th year guy just due to the fact he was still growing into his frame. Either way, there's no reason to believe that Carter can't hit 40 this year.
Come on. You're just reiterating the "briere curse" with like, science an' stuff.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 03:13 AM
ELab2

This has been my game time meal for the last 10 games

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote