HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Jordan Staal Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Fixed
I don't see why the Pens would accept anything centered around Grabovski or Kulemin for Staal, even if they were willing to trade him.

Kulemin's supposedly a scoring winger, but he hasn't scored as much as Staal despite being 2 years his senior. Grabovski's a tiny pivot (do we really want to try to convert another natural center?) who's only outproducing Staal by a hair despite being 4 years older. Neither can carry Staal's jock defensively, and neither have a lick of post-season experience.

Unless there's a fine-looking deal on the table, any and all Staal proposals should be rejected...under penalty of torture. The kid's a blue-chipper - Kulemin and Grabovski ain't.

Old
11-25-2008, 05:31 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I don't see why the Pens would accept anything centered around Grabovski or Kulemin for Staal, even if they were willing to trade him.

Kulemin's supposedly a scoring winger, but he hasn't scored as much as Staal despite being 2 years his senior. Grabovski's a tiny pivot (do we really want to try to convert another natural center?) who's only outproducing Staal by a hair despite being 4 years older. Neither can carry Staal's jock defensively, and neither have a lick of post-season experience.

Unless there's a fine-looking deal on the table, any and all Staal proposals should be rejected...under penalty of torture. The kid's a blue-chipper - Kulemin and Grabovski ain't.
This is Kulemin's first season in the NHL. He probably won't out produce Staal this season. Also, the age factor is really a moot point if you think about it. If Kulemin could develop into a 40 goal scorer, would you care the difference of age? Probably not. And it's not like you're comparing a 20 year old to a 25 year old. Kulemin is 22. I wouldn't personally trade Staal for anyone on Toronto except for Schenn, but the flashes Kulemin has shown would make me think about having him a part of a trade also.

Grabovski shouldn't be anywhere near a deal that involves us. He is not a winger, he is a center. I'm tired of going through this experimental stage of taking natural centers and switching them to wings.

Old
11-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Whatever. You mofos can keep Jordan Staal and his 30 point seasons.

Old
11-26-2008, 10:20 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
We will...Thank you.

You obviously have missed the greatest parts of Jordan Staal's game.

Old
11-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Or 30 goals per season. Nobody really knows how good Jordan Staal is yet.

Old
11-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Now that was uncalled for.

Old
11-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Cleatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Now that was uncalled for.
Sorry if I sounded rude, but I'm now positive the Leafs are drafting in the top 10, and we won't need Staal. Brayden Schenn, here we come!

As for Staal scoring 30 goals, he's never going to get that amount as a third line center, and he can't seem to get it together on the wing with Crosby or Malkin.

Old
11-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:

Old
11-26-2008, 12:10 PM
River Man

Quote:
Sorry if I sounded rude, but I'm now positive the Leafs are drafting in the top 10, and we won't need Staal. Brayden Schenn, here we come!

As for Staal scoring 30 goals, he's never going to get that amount as a third line center, and he can't seem to get it together on the wing with Crosby or Malkin.
Why not? Jeff Carter got 29 while playing on the third line in Philly.

Old
11-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Cleatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightspore View Post
I'm sorry to say, but Jeff Carter was given sufficient minutes to score 29 goals, and he's more talented than Jordan Staal. That is all.

Seriously, the chances of a third liner scoring 30 goals is like winning the lottery. Jeff Carter is probably the only third liner to score 29 goals in 50 years. Staal is good for 30 points on the third line, not 30 goals.

Old
11-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Blazini

Quote:
Jeff Carter is far more talented than Jordan Staal.

Old
11-26-2008, 03:03 PM
JTG

Quote:
I'm sorry to say, but Jeff Carter was given sufficient minutes to score 29 goals, and he's more talented than Jordan Staal. That is all.

Seriously, the chances of a third liner scoring 30 goals is like winning the lottery. Jeff Carter is probably the only third liner to score 29 goals in 50 years. Staal is good for 30 points on the third line, not 30 goals.
Staal gets 20+ mins as a 3rd line center, and judging by how he has played the first part of the season, he is on pace for 28 goals.

You have spewed more garbage in 7 posts that you have than some people who have 15,000.

Old
11-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
This is Kulemin's first season in the NHL. He probably won't out produce Staal this season. Also, the age factor is really a moot point if you think about it. If Kulemin could develop into a 40 goal scorer, would you care the difference of age? Probably not. And it's not like you're comparing a 20 year old to a 25 year old. Kulemin is 22. I wouldn't personally trade Staal for anyone on Toronto except for Schenn, but the flashes Kulemin has shown would make me think about having him a part of a trade also.
Kulemin may well end up being a good winger one day, but he hasn't done anything yet that would make me utter him in the same breath as Staal. He's older, less experienced, less versatile, and has a lesser pedigree.

Ultimately, I'm not willing to let Staal go for anything other than a perfect fit for this team. I'd be more than happy if the Pens re-signed him for 4.5 mil long-term rather than pursue a more conventional allotment of forward funds, but if a deal like that can't be reached, he's shown too much for me to compromise and settle for someone who's not as valuable in any respect.

Last edited by Warm Cookies: 11-26-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old
11-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:

What everybody forgets is that when Jeff Carter joined the NHL he was older than Jordan Staal is right now. He scored 42 points that year, and it's likely that Staal will surpass that this season while providing much better defense than Carter did at that age.

But keep squawking. I always enjoy passionate, unabashed ignorance.

Old
11-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Grabovski is absolutely not the kind of player we want in Pittsburgh. We have good team chemistry and he's a petulant little piece of trash who wore out his welcome very quickly in Montreal. The Laughs deserve him.

Old
11-26-2008, 10:42 PM
River Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by micronics View Post
Jeff Carter is far more talented than Jordan Staal.
That's very debatable. What was Jeff Carter doing at 18, 19, and 20 years of age? Certainly not scoring 30 goals, and leading his team in defensive play.

Old
11-27-2008, 04:19 AM
Luceni

How abot Kotalik or Afinogenov and McArthur or Tallinder for Staal?

Old
11-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Gumbercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
Doesn't work for salary cap reasons I believe. Not that I'd do it anyway. Pens have no need for another defenseman, and Kotalik and Afinogenov aren't enough to part with Staal.

Old
11-27-2008, 07:55 AM
River Man

Quote:
That offer is really no better than the Antropov one.

Old
11-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Bash3r

Quote:
That's very debatable. What was Jeff Carter doing at 18, 19, and 20 years of age? Certainly not scoring 30 goals, and leading his team in defensive play.
Didn't you know that on HF Boards you're finished as a player if you have sophomore year.
Staal will not be an Top-6 player because he had a slump at the age of 19.
Trade him for a bag of pucks would ya!

Old
11-27-2008, 10:19 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Maybe something more like Pominville and Kotalik for Staal and Eaton? That's not the trade I'd do If I had to move Staal but I think a 30+ goal scorer is a must if he is moved. And it works under the Cap this year and nets the Pens a couple of right handed shots.

Satan - Crosby - Pominville
Kotalik - Malkin - Sykora (has Kotalik played on the LW before?)
Cooke - Talbot - Kennedy
Fedotenko - Zigomanis - Dupuis/Godard

Old
12-07-2008, 01:37 AM
nuck
Flatfoot

Whatever deal they make they can dump salary at the same time. Lots of teams out there with a ton of cap space. When your 3rd line center is outscoring all but one winger you have a problem with balancing your offence. I do think Whitney could make a big difference but they won't win a championship with the wingers they have. They can do another rental at the trading deadline or they can see if a multi player deal can be made that will bring them some scoring depth on the wings. No I don't have any suggestions except that there will be some GMs who think they are getting a star so will overpay. It might take another 20 games or so for some teams to realize they aren't in the hunt but the Pens have nothing but time and if the offer isn't there it isn't like they had a gun to their heads. Either that or they seriously commit to converting him to a winger. He is huge and he has hands, and they have two great centers so it can be done, it just takes time.

Last edited by nuck: 12-07-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old
12-07-2008, 03:52 AM
SarahCrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Or 30 goals per season. Nobody really knows how good Jordan Staal is yet.
Amazing that he's still one of the 20 youngest full time players in the NHL... and he's been here 2 1/2 seasons!

Old
12-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Bash3r

And amazing that people thinks he won't develop any further and that he's a bust.
Jordan Staal is a beast and if he remains a Pen, he will become a unique package for us.

Old
12-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash3r View Post
And amazing that people thinks he won't develop any further and that he's a bust.
Where do you find people who think that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash3r View Post
Jordan Staal is a beast and if he remains a Pen, he will become a unique package for us.
Jordan Staal will be a beast anywhere. If anything he will likely be a bigger beast individually most other places than Pittsburgh, where he can never be a top6 center.
His greatness and our strength at center is a double sided argument that can both be used to say that he should stay, and that he is one we should trade. Stay because he will be great and strenght down the middle is very important. Trade because he is so valuable that he can get players that would address bigger issues for us.
All I am saying is that those (few, it seems) of us who see him having an even bigger value for the Pens as a trade asset do not necessarily disagree with you that he will become a tremendous player.

A less touchy, but similar, subject is Goligoski's position in the clubs plans. When he gets his next contract, he will clearly be more valuable to some other teams than will be to us, because when he is no longer required on the 1st PP unit.... then he will be a young not very physical defender defender with questionable D and lots of upside. On other teams he will be on the 1st PP unit and put up points.

Closed Thread