HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Jordan Staal Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

vCash: 500
Hmm... good argument. Will grudgingly admit that I cannot make a better one on this matter .

Old
01-04-2009, 10:22 PM
PenguinGuru*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
Since your prior comment was that he was Malone Lite based on his career stats, what's happening this year is just part of the picture.

My calendar is fine. Your picking and choosing stats to fit your needs is the problem.
Then why are you saying Hunter is head and shoulders above Malone? It seems that your BS has got you all tangled up in your own words again.

Old
01-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Consistency is a huge factor.

His potential to do more is also a factor.

His contract also puts him above Malone.

My words have not gotten my tangled in anything.

Nice try, though.

Old
01-04-2009, 10:29 PM
PenguinGuru*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris the Blade View Post
Alright. Frankly, I'm sick of reading this crap from you. Here's a list of forwards selected outside of the first round of 2006 (three drafts ago) who are on pace for 40+ points this season.

Milan Lucic

There you have it.
Oh, don't worry Boris. There will be PLENTY of other great wingers to come out of the 06' draft that aren't Penguins. You know how I know this for a fact? Because the Penguins didn't draft any wingers in 06'.

Old
01-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinGuru View Post
Oh, don't worry Boris. There will be PLENTY of other great wingers to come out of the 06' draft that aren't Penguins. You know how I know this for a fact? Because the Penguins didn't draft any wingers in 06'.
You know what's amazing? A sixth rounder that the Penguins picked last year is already in the NHL and he actually looks good. Only four other clubs have had players from the 2007 draft play in the NHL and those four came from the first round. Yet you give them zero credit for finding him and drafting him.

Old
01-04-2009, 10:36 PM
PenguinGuru*

Quote:
Consistency is a huge factor.

His potential to do more is also a factor.

His contract also puts him above Malone.

My words have not gotten my tangled in anything.

Nice try, though.
Hunter= 51,35, 35, 41.
Malone=43,44,31,51.

The, "consistency is a huge factor statement" is in itself, not a huge factor.

Both 28, potential = non-factor.

We had the Hart trophy winner playing here for 3.7 million. Contracts = non-factor.

Both players on pace for 57 points and yet you thinkg Hunter is head and shoulders above Malone because.....

Old
01-04-2009, 10:38 PM
PenguinGuru*

Quote:
You know what's amazing? A sixth rounder that the Penguins picked last year is already in the NHL and he actually looks good. Only four other clubs have had players from the 2007 draft play in the NHL and those four came from the first round. Yet you give them zero credit for finding him and drafting him.
What position does he play again?

You do realize that when Shero started working for the Pens they had the two best play making centers in the world and zero winger prospects. Now they have 1 prospect who is probably 2 more years away.

But yeah awesome job finding that center, I wish him the best.

Old
01-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Quote:
Hunter= 51,35, 35, 41.
Malone=43,44,31,51.

The, "consistency is a huge factor statement" is in itself, not a huge factor.

Both 28, potential = non-factor.

We had the Hart trophy winner playing here for 3.7 million. Contracts = non-factor.

Both players on pace for 57 points and yet you thinkg Hunter is head and shoulders above Malone because.....
Consistency isn't about stats. Consistency is about what they bring to the ice night in and night out. Malone has had and still has far too many games where he doesn't show up. Hunter's games like that are few and far between.

The potential points wise what Hunter could do with this team and these players is what makes him more valuable. He's done very good things almost all by himself on nearly constantly poor Islanders teams. Give him the chance to play with a super star and I'd bet his numbers would jump.

Malone is on pace for his point totals while being healthy on a team with more weapons than Hunter, where Malone sees 2nd line ice time. Hunter is on his points pace while being on a team where he and Bill Geurin are the primary weapons and while Hunter has been battling injuries the whole year and seeing 1st line attention.

Old
01-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
What does this matter to you though, since you're so hung up on judging a draft only three years after the fact?

According to you, Lucic was the only competently selected and developed forward past the first round.

This is completely ignoring the fact that drafting by position is incredibly stupid.

Old
01-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:

You do realize that when Shero started working for the Pens they had the two best play making centers in the world and zero winger prospects. Now they have 1 prospect who is probably 2 more years away.

Any GM that drafts by position instead of taking who they feel is the best player available at the time of the pick is a straight-up idiot. The draft is pretty much an educated guessing game, especially outside the first round. Those who draft by position instead of who will turn out to be the best player are undermining the value of their picks even further by reaching past someone who they feel has the most talent to select someone who fills a void they could address in other ways.

Old
01-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Quote:

What position has he played in the NHL? That's right, winger.

What was Tyler Kennedy when he was drafted? Center. What position does he play? Oh, that's right... right wing.

What position is Jordan Staal? Center. Where was he when he had his best year to date? Oh that's right. Left wing.

Where does Malkin occasionally play? That's right, left wing.

What position did Sid play when he first came into the league? Mario's right wing.

Players can be converted. Who cares how they were drafted? If they're good enough to make the NHL, they can play positions other than center.

Last edited by Mario_is_BACK!!: 01-04-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old
01-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Talbot View Post
Any GM that drafts by position instead of taking who they feel is the best player available at the time of the pick is a straight-up idiot. The draft is pretty much an educated guessing game, especially outside the first round. Those who draft by position instead of who will turn out to be the best player are undermining the value of their picks even further by reaching past someone who they feel has the most talent to select someone who fills a void they could address in other ways.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old
01-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
What position has he played in the NHL? That's right, winger.

What was Tyler Kennedy when he was drafted? Center. What position does he play? Oh, that's right... right wing.

What position is Jordan Staal? Center. Where was he when he had his best year to date? Oh that's right. Left wing.

Where does Malkin occasionally play? That's right, left wing.

What position did Sid play when he first came into the league? Mario's right wing.

Players can be converted. Who cares how they were drafted? If they're good enough to make the NHL, they can play positions other than center.

However, far be it for you and your infinite knowledge to see this.
Not to mention, most of the best junior players play center since it's the position with the most responsibility. Ergo, being drafted as a center means virtually nothing. There are tons of successful conversions from center to wing at the NHL level.

Old
01-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Billy Crawford

Quote:
That doesn't change the fact that your 3 years development thing is laughable. Even in 2005, and counting the first round, only 10 or so players drafted this year are on pace for 40 pts in 08-09, half of which are not wingers.

Oh and I think not taking cap hits into account when comparing NHL players is pointless.

Back to Staal, assuming we have the 15-20th overall pick on draft day, would you trade him and the pick for Magnus Svensson Paajarvi, i.e. the 3rd overall pick (in my opinion)? Would the team with the 3rd overall pick do it? I'm asking this coz I have a huge man-crush on him...

Old
01-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy de Paris View Post
Back to Staal, assuming we have the 15-20th overall pick on draft day, would you trade him and the pick for Magnus Svensson Paajarvi, i.e. the 3rd overall pick (in my opinion)? Would the team with the 3rd overall pick do it? I'm asking this coz I have a huge man-crush on him...
I like him, too. I have his player card.

Old
01-05-2009, 01:20 AM
PenguinGuru*

HAHA well, I guess I'll give Shero another 3 years to find an actual scoring winger in the draft. No hurry. Can't wait to hear the excuses in another 3 years.

Old
01-05-2009, 01:30 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

You mean aside from Luca Caputi and Dustin Jeffrey?

Old
01-05-2009, 01:33 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

And potentially Moon, CPZ, and Veilleux. Honestly, that argument from you is getting old and doesn't hold much water.

Old
01-05-2009, 01:35 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

It's the whole reason he was laughed off of the Pens board.

Old
01-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Get To Our Game

Boy, this losing streak is really letting me test out this nice 'Ignore User' feature.

Old
01-05-2009, 06:29 AM
PenguinGuru*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTisIT View Post
And potentially Moon, CPZ, and Veilleux. Honestly, that argument from you is getting old and doesn't hold much water.
No scoring wingers 3 years ago. 1 iffy prospect today. I don't need to argue, the results are plan to see. But I'll tone it done for another 3 years and well see if they have a drafted NHL scoring winger by then. Not just any schmoe in the league, heck Kraft made it to the NHL. I'm talking about productive top line wingers.

Old
01-05-2009, 08:02 AM
JTG

Quote:
HAHA well, I guess I'll give Shero another 3 years to find an actual scoring winger in the draft. No hurry. Can't wait to hear the excuses in another 3 years.
I have no idea why you are so hung up on Milan Lucic? He's a good player, but you pretend like it was the top of the first round and the Pens muffed the pick. If I do remember right, Lucic was picked towards back half the end of the 2nd round. Shero wasn't the only GM who thought there were better options.

And I don't know what kind of fan you are, but if Shero a lesser player just because he was a winger, it would be a terrible way of running a team. I'm glad to see your stubborness and irrationality is not just wearing thin with me but many others on this board.

Old
01-05-2009, 08:32 AM
DockEllisExperience

What do people honestly expect him to say? That we need to trade right now? That would only get us a lesser return if other teams thought we were desperate for change.

Old
01-05-2009, 08:41 AM
AgentM

Quote:
Shero's plan - Tank for Tavares!

Shoot, he's a natural center too...

Old
01-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Shero's plan - Tank for Tavares!

Shoot, he's a natural center too...
Well you know what that means, we shouldn't pick him. Or Hedman for that matter. We need a winger ... God knows how much of an obvious failure our draft will be if we were to do something stupid like take the best players available, regardless of position.

Closed Thread