HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury better start earning his paycheck

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-27-2008, 12:01 PM
  #101
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
... The thing people forget is that Drury was given that contract based on his performance in Buffalo. A 36 goal scoring center who lead his team to the ECF is something to be coveted. The real question is, who is the real Chris Drury? Is it the one we've had for a season + a few games, or is it the one in Buffalo?

Realistically, the Drury we had last season is the real Drury. The fact that he is overpaid is not Drury's fault. You absolutely cannot fault a player for taking a contract that was way over his actual value. If I went out and paid Blair Betts 6.5 million per season, that doesn't mean he will suddenly leap into another level and start scoring 30+ goals. As ridiculous as that seems, that's exactly what people are expecting of Drury.

The 06-07 Buffalo Sabres are a much different team than the current NY Rangers.
No, it's certainly not Drury's fault that he was overpaid. That's entirely on our GM. But that doesn't change that I am disappointed what we get for the money and I am surprised at the lack of criticism Drury receives for it, mediawise and fanbase-wise. It's not his fault, but still his burden. If people can boo $2.5 million Malik out of town (among numerous others), they can at least question Drury's ineptness for carrying the team a line.

Drury had a career high season in Buffalo and we rewarded him $7 million for half a decade for it. How stupid isn't that? Even if you count 37 goals and 69 points as a standard, $7 million is still a pretty high price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
This is correct... So many would not admit it.

But in Drury's case, he brings so many other things to the table whether it be faceoffs, leadership, and defense that I give him a pass.

I don't have a huge problem with this altogether because those people who are wishing to see a perfect team, will never see it happen. As long as the team is winning, I'll be happy.
So does Blair Betts, but we pay him $650k for it. You don't pay defensive D-men a boatload of money, neither do you pay a boatload to your two-way centers with limited offensive talent. But we did. If intangibles was such a heavy envelope in the payroll, we would have paid Avery $4m and kept him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Seems to me like a majority of the posters here DO have a problem with Drury. Recent threads and topics range from "Is he tradeable?" to, and I'm paraphrasing, "I can't wait to dump him so we can go after Kovalchuk". Now people are questioning his "Passion"? Gimme an effing break already.

Obviously, the fact that Drury is not only my countryman, but grew up just a few miles from me, colors my enthusiasm for him. Always has. Aside from that fact, as a hockey fan, it seems pretty damn clear what he as a player brings to any team he plays for. The fact that I'm NOT freaking out over his performance over the past 10 games doesn't mean he's getting a free pass, it just means I'm not over-analyzing the situation.
A majority in this thread has a problem with Drury. That's a difference, because that's just a biased sample.

The reason I am freaking out about Drury('s salary) is not his last 10 games, but his last 100 games in a Rangers jersey, compared to what we need him to do to be a cup contender, with his salary.

No, he's not a bad player by any stretch of the imagination, but his grossly overpaid salary will cost us, now and in the future. One way or the other. We will have to dump someone we really didn't want to part with or we won't be able to re-sign someone. We gave a complementary player - that can't carry a team line - franchise player money. We gave him Iginla money. We gave him Alfredsson money. We gave him Datsyuk money. We gave him Gomez money. That wasn't bright at all.

Tampa dumped Richards (who is a solid player), because they realized they were screwed with Lecavalier, St Louis and Richards on their payroll. So what did the Rangers do? So who will we lose because of this mistake? Dubinsky? Zherdev? Staal? Girardi? How are we going to fit them all? Who will be sacrificed for keeping the $7 million albatross? Good or bad, we've arguably lost Jagr because of it, so it's not like it hasn't already started.

And then we haven't even calculated the risk that the imploding economy might lower the salary cap! This thread isn't meant as some short-sighted rant of Drury's performance in his last 10 games. This thread is meant as a warning that we might be royally screwed in the future when some young, rising star will leave, because he didn't take his huge paycut. And unless Drury starts overperforming for long stretches, we won't win a cup.

I'll admit though, this thread did start because of the numerous rants of "player x sucks." and "player y sucks." That really got me started, because I never, not even once, saw a post with "but what about our captain, $7 million for half a decade Chris friggin' Drury?" Especially when considering the - according to my personal opinion - cultural overhype of the team captain and his importance to the team. And that in hand started my underlying thoughts and worries about all this. And no, no one gets a free pass. Not on the New York Rangers and not if so his name was Chimp Drury.


Last edited by Chimp: 10-27-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 12:16 PM
  #102
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Seems to me like a majority of the posters here DO have a problem with Drury. Recent threads and topics range from "Is he tradeable?" to, and I'm paraphrasing, "I can't wait to dump him so we can go after Kovalchuk". Now people are questioning his "Passion"? Gimme an effing break already.
He is worse then Betts statistically. He is not only at the bottom of Rangers cenrtemen, but may be the worst player on the team at the moment. Who is less effective then Drury? Orr? Dawes? I'm not sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Obviously, the fact that Drury is not only my countryman, but grew up just a few miles from me, colors my enthusiasm for him. Always has. Aside from that fact, as a hockey fan, it seems pretty damn clear what he as a player brings to any team he plays for. The fact that I'm NOT freaking out over his performance over the past 10 games doesn't mean he's getting a free pass, it just means I'm not over-analyzing the situation.
While latter is clear, what does country of origin have to do with the subject? Does guy from CT suck less loud than one from ON? Or from CZ? Or RU?
This is NY. If people here question the passion of arguably the best baseball player in history, they can certainly examine the hockey with same approach.


Last edited by 94now: 10-27-2008 at 12:27 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:23 PM
  #103
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post

The reason I am freaking out about Drury('s salary) is not his last 10 games, but his last 100 games in a Rangers jersey, compared to what we need him to do to be a cup contender, with his salary..
What does one have to do with the other? Are you telling me the Rangers are off to their best start, possibly in franchise history, DESPITE the fact that Drury's captaincy coincides with this start? Are you saying that Drury MUST be the team's top scorer if the team ever hopes to win a Cup while he's here?

I'm not even going to continue to address the value of a UFA contact for a Cup winner, multi-time All-Star and Olympian that was receiving multiple UFA offers in a high demand market. There isn't a person alive who thinks it's fair at the moment. Welcome to world staffing via UFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post

While latter is clear, what does country of origin have to do with the subject? Does guy from CT suck less loud than one from ON? Or from CZ? Or RU?
This is NY. If people here question the passion of arguably the best baseball player in history, they can certainly examine the hockey with same approach.
I'm only addressing the contention that Americans are giving Drury a pass because he's an American. People have soft spots for players for their own reasons.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:47 PM
  #104
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
This is correct... So many would not admit it.

But in Drury's case, he brings so many other things to the table whether it be faceoffs, leadership, and defense that I give him a pass.


I don't have a huge problem with this altogether because those people who are wishing to see a perfect team, will never see it happen. As long as the team is winning, I'll be happy.
But Drury is not currently bringing other things to the table. He's not winning face-offs. I can't speak to his leadership b/c I am not in the locker room, and his defense is good but has had a couple of gafs that would get Marek Malik booed for an entire season. If you just needed a smart defensive forward, the Rangers could have signed Jay Pandolfo.

I think he will come around but the concern is how does a 60 point player appear non existent through the first 11 games?

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:49 PM
  #105
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
No, it's certainly not Drury's fault that he was overpaid. That's entirely on our GM. But that doesn't change that I am disappointed what we get for the money and I am surprised at the lack of criticism Drury receives for it, mediawise and fanbase-wise. It's not his fault, but still his burden. If people can boo $2.5 million Malik out of town (among numerous others), they can at least question Drury's ineptness for carrying the team a line.

Drury had a career high season in Buffalo and we rewarded him $7 million for half a decade for it. How stupid isn't that? Even if you count 37 goals and 69 points as a standard, $7 million is still a pretty high price.
Drury has received quite a bit of criticism amongst fans on this board. While you haven't heard the boo's at the Garden quite yet, you can bet that they will start sooner or later if he doesn't pick up his game. Right now the team is winning, and that's all that matters to a lot of fans. Most forget that here on the board, we are not run-of-the-mill Ranger fans. We're constantly discussing things that are never even sniffed at by the media. So right now, what does the casual fan have to boo about with an 8-2-1 record? Even in NY, it's a little early to get on a guys case when the team is actually still doing well despite him.

Sure it may have been foolish to give him that much money, but it's in the past and we have to move on from it. If Drury picks up his game and we make it to the Cup Finals where he scores an OT winner in game 7, does that mean he's earned his pay day? To some it will, but to others I don't think there is any possible way Drury will ever live up to his contract -- short of going 40G/40A and winning the cup.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:00 PM
  #106
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
What does one have to do with the other? Are you telling me the Rangers are off to their best start, possibly in franchise history, DESPITE the fact that Drury's captaincy coincides with this start? Are you saying that Drury MUST be the team's top scorer if the team ever hopes to win a Cup while he's here?
Well, the great start certainly isn't because of Drury, I can tell you that. He has struggled mightily offensively and has looked weaker than usual defensively.

Drury doesn't have to be the top scorer, but I would at least expect the guy to be able to carry a friggin' line, which he can't. In his 100+ games here, he hasn't been even close. And that's what it comes down to. Like I've said, he's a complementary player that has to be carried himself offensively. That doesn't cut it for a $7 million center.
Quote:
I'm not even going to continue to address the value of a UFA contact for a Cup winner, multi-time All-Star and Olympian that was receiving multiple UFA offers in a high demand market. There isn't a person alive who thinks it's fair at the moment. Welcome to world staffing via UFA.
You don't pay extra for winning cups with other - stacked - teams, attending All-Star games (which are a joke nowadays, Steve friggin' Reinprecht is apparently good enough) or participating in the Olympics. That's intangibles. You pay guys franchise money to be franchise players, UFA or not. And you certainly don't put up a really expensive, half a decade contract with NTC's if there's any doubt he won't. If that's what it takes, then you pass on the guy, even if the options are limited and you might suffer for a season.

I would rather have paid Jagr $8 million this season than $7 for Drury for a boatload more of years. Overpaid, probably, but at least the guy can still carry his line to some extent and make room for his teammates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
... So right now, what does the casual fan have to boo about with an 8-2-1 record? Even in NY, it's a little early to get on a guys case when the team is actually still doing well despite him.

Sure it may have been foolish to give him that much money, but it's in the past and we have to move on from it. If Drury picks up his game and we make it to the Cup Finals where he scores an OT winner in game 7, does that mean he's earned his pay day? To some it will, but to others I don't think there is any possible way Drury will ever live up to his contract -- short of going 40G/40A and winning the cup.
If we win a Cup with Drury on the team as a key player, I will happily eat a truckload of crow. This, I've mentioned.

I also hate the "fans" that boo their own players, I just pointed out that I thought it was unfair that some seem to get the special treatment. Perhaps I am wrong about that.

At least my opinion on this subject, I can't stress this enough it seems, is not about our great start. It's not about Drury's start. It's about what a bad decision it was to sign Drury to his current contract and how it can cripple - and hurt - us for a long time. Too long, overpaid, bad clauses, has to rely on others to carry him and hasn't shown any good chemistry with any other Ranger forward in 100+ games. That's just a brutal combination. I hate to say it, but that's inches from official albatross status.


Last edited by Chimp: 10-27-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:16 PM
  #107
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
I guess I can be counted as one of those not entirely enamored with Drury. But, I do think he'll turn it around and we'll still see a 20+ goal season with 50+ points. That doesn't sound good, but if he does it on a team that's in first place at the end of the season I'll find it hard to criticize the captain of that team.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:24 PM
  #108
LetsGoBlueshirts
Registered User
 
LetsGoBlueshirts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Joisey
Country: United States
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
At least my opinion on this subject, I can't stress this enough it seems, is not about our great start. It's not about Drury's start. It's about what a bad decision it was to sign Drury to his current contract and how it can cripple - and hurt - us for a long time. Too long, overpaid, bad clauses, has to rely on others to carry him and hasn't shown any good chemistry with any other Ranger forward in 100+ games. That's just a brutal combination.
I completely agree, but, we have him, we aren't getting rid of him, I just hope he turns it around, nets around 25 goals and continues his solid defensive play.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:42 PM
  #109
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Well, the great start certainly isn't because of Drury, I can tell you that. He has struggled mightily offensively and has looked weaker than usual defensively.
Listen, I'm of the belief that a pedigree of winning is following Chris Drury, not the vice-versa.

You say you have a problem with this "100+" games, yet Drury put up just the kinds of numbers you'd expect him to put up last year. If his career averages are a problem for you, then you're never going to be satisfied with his offensive performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
You don't pay extra for winning cups with other - stacked - teams, attending All-Star games (which are a joke nowadays, Steve friggin' Reinprecht is apparently good enough) or participating in the Olympics.
I disagree that the experiences and accomplishments of an individual are not or should not be considered, particularly when you're looking for someone to take a leadership role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post

I would rather have paid Jagr $8 million this season than $7 for Drury. Overpaid, probably, but at least the guy can carry his line.
So, you don't have a problem with the highest paid player in the league coming up WELL short of his offensive expectations, AND would go on and make him the highest paid Ranger, but you do have a problem with the "offensively inept" Chris Drury, who could only tie Jagr for the team lead in goals scored despite not being know for his offensive output?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:46 PM
  #110
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I'm only addressing the contention that Americans are giving Drury a pass because he's an American. People have soft spots for players for their own reasons.
Well, that's the only way to get a pass for the player who is, frankly, a burden on quite successful team. Messier's credentials were much greater than that for Drury. Yet he sucked royally his second tenure here.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:56 PM
  #111
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
MJ...

in the end, Jagr helped lead the Rangers to the playoffs and basically carried the offense through the Devils and if he had helped, perhaps even further. I think that in the end, had Jagr been making $8MM last season, I would not have complained one bit. Further, Jagr did so much for the offense beyond just scoring goals. 70 points isn't much, but he took focus off other players which helped the team overall. Right now, Drury's just an emotional leader. I'm not sure how much is fair pay for that, but you can get Shanny for cheaper to do the same thing.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:56 PM
  #112
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Well, that's the only way to get a pass for the player who is, frankly, a burden on quite successful team. Messier's credentials were much greater than that for Drury. Yet he sucked royally his second tenure here.
your kidding when you say a burden right?.....you must be....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:57 PM
  #113
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 18,179
vCash: 50
The problem with Drury now is his contract will never be moveable if he doesn't put up the points. And in no way can the Rangers buy him out it would cost way too much. You just have to hope he turns it around. He seems like one of those players who plays for a big city and his production drops, but would flourish in Atlanta (just for argument) because of lack of media coverage. Look at Jason Blake as another example had good years on Long Island, had an awesome final year of his contract went to media hungry Toronto and look at his numbers now, they are in the gutter. Some guys can not handle the constant media attention they get and there production suffers for it.



Sal

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:06 PM
  #114
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
your kidding when you say a burden right?.....you must be....
No, I'm not. Was Mess a burden? Yes he was. Lindros? Kamenski? When high paid player fails in NY, the hope dies. That dead hope doesn't go away easily. It poisons surroundings. That's the burden I am talking about.
Drury is not the first one... He could still turn it around, but this is his second year and he more and more looks like Pat LaFontaine, another great Sabre that was miserable in Blue.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:17 PM
  #115
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
... You say you have a problem with this "100+" games, yet Drury put up just the kinds of numbers you'd expect him to put up last year. If his career averages are a problem for you, then you're never going to be satisfied with his offensive performance.
Correct, if these 100 games is the correct prediction of Drury's future performance here, I won't be and shouldn't be satisfied. That'll never help us enough to win a Cup and that's not even close to worth $7 mil a year.
Quote:
I disagree that the experiences and accomplishments of an individual are not or should not be considered, particularly when you're looking for someone to take a leadership role.
When considering raises of 500k for intangibles, sure. If considering raises of millions, hell no. You win with actual performance, not by having a nice resumé.
Quote:
So, you don't have a problem with the highest paid player in the league coming up WELL short of his offensive expectations, AND would go on and make him the highest paid Ranger, but you do have a problem with the "offensively inept" Chris Drury, who could only tie Jagr for the team lead in goals scored despite not being know for his offensive output?
Well, the guy with his most horrible season ever, still tied Drury in goals, dominated him in points, while costing us $3 million less. And carried us in the playoffs, like he promised he would, while Drury was Captain Invisible. That's fine though, because of...

... Logic:
1. One can carry a line. Draws alot of attention from defensive opponents. Makes things happen on his own in the offensive zone. Franchise player. - Throw money on the guy.
2. The other can't make things happen on his own. Has to be carried offensively by his linemates. Entire offensive skillset based on opportunism, with the hopes of the puck ending up on his stick in front of the net. Not a franchise player. Don't throw a pile of money on the guy.

I'm not saying throwing $8 million on Jagr for a season would've been great, he's declining and doesn't fit with the new style of play, but it sure would've been better than throwing $7 million on Drury for half a decade. It's not like Drury has fitted yet either.


Last edited by Chimp: 10-27-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:19 PM
  #116
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
in the end, Jagr helped lead the Rangers to the playoffs and basically carried the offense through the Devils and if he had helped, perhaps even further .
Great, but I think we both know that strategy was never going to take the Rangers where they were trying to go.

In the end, all you're really paying Drury to do is finish the job that Jagr couldn't, lead the TEAM to it's ultimate goal. I couldn't give 2 craps how he does it as long as it gets done. Of all the players the Rangers had/have access to, who would you rather see be given that task?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:34 PM
  #117
AlbertaNucksFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 478
vCash: 500
Hey guys. C'mon. Not all your guys are going to ride the high of the streak at the same time. Your Team is winning. That is the thing that matters first. Other players will have a drought and i am sure Drury be won't in a cold spell forever.

Seriously, the CUP. That is what matters. I am willing to believe the thread starter may be bitter cause he homer'd Drury into his hockey pool. Ha jk

AlbertaNucksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:36 PM
  #118
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Chimp, you and I couldn't be more diametrically opposed in terms of our own "hockey theories", which surprises me. I'm afraid I'm ready to just give up with this argument.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:41 PM
  #119
Mrpuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 380
vCash: 500
Wow I am shocked to see this thread so soon.
Sure he is off to a slow start, but c'mon.

His salary sucks, sure. But where would we have been that summer if we didn't get Gomez, and then also didn't get Drury? The fans would have hung Sather from the rafters.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:47 PM
  #120
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaNucksFan View Post
... Seriously, the CUP. That is what matters. I am willing to believe the thread starter may be bitter cause he homer'd Drury into his hockey pool. Ha jk
Try reading the thread about my actual opinion next time if you want to bash me. And for the record, and that's certainly not directed only to you, I detest any reference or comment to any person's fantasy team, hockey pool or fantasy league, because no one but the poster will ever care about his own fantasy team. It's a waste of letters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Great, but I think we both know that strategy was never going to take the Rangers where they were trying to go.

In the end, all you're really paying Drury to do is finish the job that Jagr couldn't, lead the TEAM to it's ultimate goal. I couldn't give 2 craps how he does it as long as it gets done. Of all the players the Rangers had/have access to, who would you rather see be given that task?
While playing D is pretty important, scoring more goals than your opponent is also a quite effective way to go far in the playoffs.

Now, your post is a fine example why I personally feel this whole captaincy thing is so overhyped. They're all grown professionals, not kids or mindless ants. There are no epic locker room speeches, it's a bunch of guys in a tight group motivating and pushing eachother. "The great captain" is romanticism at its best. Maybe it's because of my culture, but at least over here, the team captaincy has never been a big deal at any level, at any sports. While it might be a bigger deal in NA, it just can't be at the epic levels media and fans make it look like.

As for who could've been picked as captain instead, I'd say practically any veteran with a good personality would do. It's more that a captain has to be good with the media than anything else and make sure no one feels frozen out. Gomez, Rozsival, etc, backed up by the huge experience of all the others. There's no "I" in team and who carries a C on their jersey is irrelevant on a good team. Everyone has to and should lead when they need to and set an example for eachother.

Drawed to its edge, if we paid Drury $7 million just to wear a C on his jersey, I demand a refund.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Chimp, you and I couldn't be more diametrically opposed in terms of our own "hockey theories", which surprises me. I'm afraid I'm ready to just give up with this argument.
Well, that's how it is. We'll see who was right in a couple of years. I hope you are.


Last edited by Chimp: 10-27-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:56 PM
  #121
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
No, I'm not. Was Mess a burden? Yes he was. Lindros? Kamenski? When high paid player fails in NY, the hope dies. That dead hope doesn't go away easily. It poisons surroundings. That's the burden I am talking about.
Drury is not the first one... He could still turn it around, but this is his second year and he more and more looks like Pat LaFontaine, another great Sabre that was miserable in Blue.
The team is 8-2-1. Where is this dead hope you speak of? You've managed to take a moronic theory to begin with, and then contradict yourself being that this team is off to its best start in decades despite Drury's slump.

By the way, Pat LaFontaine was pretty good in blue until Mike Keane ran into him.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:59 PM
  #122
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,855
vCash: 500
Serious question...if Drury goes on to score, lets say, 48 points this season...and has a good but not great post-season, but the Rangers win the Stanley Cup, would some fans still complain?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 04:12 PM
  #123
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
MJ...

I really think you're giving Drury WAY too much credit. I'm not a huge detractor, but I did (and do) think that $7MM was a lot for him and think his leadership abilities aren't worth $7MM (if he's not producing, which is the case thus far this season).

I'm not saying he isn't going to produce, but I am commenting about the state of Drury 11 or 12 games into the season and am commenting solely based on that. I also thought he should be the captain, given the current makeup of the team. I further believe that Jagr gets way too much of a bad rap for being this selfish player, one who didn't complain when his PP time went from about 1:30 of every PP to 1:00. Didn't complain when a freshman centered his line. Didn't complain when Hossa was on his wing, or Isbister. Actually, he had good words of encouragement for these guys (something a selfish, horrible non-leader normally wouldn't do).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 05:59 PM
  #124
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Serious question...if Drury goes on to score, lets say, 48 points this season...and has a good but not great post-season, but the Rangers win the Stanley Cup, would some fans still complain?
of course....rangers fans always need to find something to complain about....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 06:29 PM
  #125
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Serious question...if Drury goes on to score, lets say, 48 points this season...and has a good but not great post-season, but the Rangers win the Stanley Cup, would some fans still complain?
Yes, I would go as far as to even start an internet petition to get the NHL not to put his name on the cup as well.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.