HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

10-25-08 Sabres at Avalanche 7 PM MT

Old
10-25-2008, 10:38 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
What a save by Boods!!!

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Sweet.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:39 PM
avsrule

Awesome freakin' job Peter Budaj.

avsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:39 PM
KOOLAIDMAN

vCash: 50
Got to admit I thought Budaj would blow it, but awesome win.

KOOLAIDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Tico

Great game for Budaj.

Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NHL33*

Peter ****ing Budaj!

Great Win! Holy **** Yeah!

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SB

That was a big win.

SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:41 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Budaj made a great save, i'll give him credit... but wow is he shaky in SO's.

And i have to say, Hejduks and Wolskis shootout goals have to be Two of the nicest shootout goals i've seen, ever.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:42 PM
chet1926

That was a great hockey game. Both teams played well, Budaj came up huge in the shootout (for once). That was a fun game to watch. Nice to see us come back after being down going into the third. I guess this shows that we can also slow down a good team.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:43 PM
chet1926

Oh yeah I forgot...Wolskis shootout goal was absolutely filthy. He made Miller look like a turd.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:44 PM
detrude
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Great win. Very nice to see 2 points in a game like that.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

I missed who the 3rd star was (cuz McNabb and Haynes wouldn't shut up...) Did anyone hear who it was?

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:45 PM
avsrule

Great win for the team. Played solid for the most part (2nd period wasn't particularly great...start of the 3rd after the PP they were getting outplayed).

We went toe to toe with one of the better teams in the league and beat them in the shootout, so there wasn't much to complain about.

...Except...could they please, please get better at clearing the zone for Christ's sake?

avsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Drury_Sakic

Guh, why can't center ice/game center just hold on for 2 min longer for the 3 stars? lol... its like... boom, the guy running the system must be game is over, turn off the feed and lets hit the bars... They got better at it last year as the season went along they stuck with the broadcast to get through the 3 stars.

I am starting to expect the OT games ending as the announcers say GOOAAA*click*

Drury_Sakic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:49 PM
bling

Send a message via MSN to bling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I missed who the 3rd star was (cuz McNabb and Haynes wouldn't shut up...) Did anyone hear who it was?
Ryan Miller

bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
Guh, why can't center ice/game center just hold on for 2 min longer for the 3 stars? lol... its like... boom, the guy running the system must be game is over, turn off the feed and lets hit the bars...

I am starting to expect the OT games ending as the announcers say GOOAAA*click*
3)?
2)Budaj
1)Smyth

Old
10-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bling View Post
Ryan Miller
He deserved it, I reckon.

Old
10-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Drury_Sakic

LOL, I bench Miller and leave Price in, safe bet right? Avs are going to score 6 goals and the Ducks 1 or 2 right? right?

Drury_Sakic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:56 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury_Sakic View Post
LOL, I bench Miller and leave Price in, safe bet right? Avs are going to score 6 goals and the Ducks 1 or 2 right? right?

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Do you refuse to acknowledge poor saves by Budaj, or are you simply not recognizing them as such? Just wondering, cuz you're consistently making excuses for him...
This to me acknowledges your lack of an objective assesment on Budaj, and just like what you see in terms of the goals that go in, you see what you want to in terms of what I've posted. I've acknowledged many poor goals and games that Budaj has played this year, but because I'm able to see the team running around and that a puck changed directions, instead of just ripping on Budaj, I'm making excuses for him. He faced 30 shots, and only let in one goal off a deflection, and all you did was see a puck go in five hole and jump online to talk **** about him again.

That aside, this was a great overall game by the Avs. Aside from Buffalo taking over during parts of the 2nd, which I think has more to do with them being a very good team, the Avs played very solid in all three zones. The D as a whole had an outstanding game, especially Foote, Hannan, and Liles who continues to prove that he's developed into a very solid two way defenseman. They did a very good job clearing out the front of the net, and eliminting second and third chances, and Budaj helped this as well in continuing to have very good rebound control, and smother hard shots that's he's able to see. To have him come up with a very good glove save on that last shot in the SO to win the game, will be great for his and the team's confidence. Still would have liked to see that Liles move, that he swore would beat Miller though.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:08 AM
AvsFanInBuffalo

This was a great game and a great win. I looked forward to winning this game more than any other.

AvsFanInBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:13 AM
SB

Did the Avs have a 5-game winning streak, ever, last season? I remember that, for a while, they didn't have any good streaks, but I don't remember if they ended up that way.

SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:28 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Great result.

I had many different emotions throughout the game; frustrated at first with Miller getting to see every puck coming at him, disheartened when that puck slipped through Budaj's pads, disappointment when we barely mustered a shot in the first 10 minutes of the 3rd, hope when Leo put it in, and then joy when Budaj stopped 3 of 5 to win it.

We showed tonight that we are for real as long as the goaltending is there. That's something that most of us knew already, but still had alot to prove around the league. I've seen many aspects of our game called into question that were strong, so it's nice to see 5 wins in a row show some people we can be right there if the big saves come.

There's a big difference between TG and Coach Q. Coach Q would've gone away from the game plan and started making pointless line alterations, while TG made one small one. It was evident throughout the game that Jonesy wanted to prove a point. He was knocking bodies around, using skill down low, and most importantly generating scoring chances. It wasn't that Wojtek was playing poorly, but TG recognized that Jonesy would bring a dimension to Joe's line that he has in the past. Joe had a couple of good chances after the switch just because one of the two defensemen would always have to respect Jones going to the net. Great change.

I love our D. Leave it to the warrior of all warriors, Adam Foote, to correct an unfortunate mistake by offering up a monster game tonight. He must've blocked 5 or 6 key shots tonight. He even made a 'cheeky back heel' to keep it in the zone once. Jumped up into the play several times, even if his offensive skills are limited(God love him). JML was fantastic again. Hannan kept it simple and continues to go unnoticed; sure he's on a big contract, but that's what we want from him. Leo continues to push for more minutes, he can do it all when his head's in the game. Salei did what we expect him to do, and that's crash bodies and get his shots on net from the point. Clark struggled a bit, he needs to really pick up the tempo in our zone. Looks at half speed.

Not much needs to be said about our big line tonight. Milan and Smitty got the apples for the goal. They were kept in check alot of the game by Buffalo's high pressure on the puck carrier. This line plays so close together on the ice that when multiple forecheckers are on them, it's easier to eliminate the time on the puck for all three. Smyth must've been hanging out with Hemsky or something, because he's consistently beating two defenders with the puck. Don't know where this sudden huge stickhandling skill came from, but I'll take it.

All in all, feeling good with 5 straight wins. How can you not?

Go Avs.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:36 AM
NHL33*

Our power play was brutal, and our penalty kill still worries me although it has improved (in conjunction with our goaltending recently the last few games, which isn't a coincidence).

Long season ahead, and we can only take it one game at a time. We've been pretty dominant most nights at even strength, which is a positive and a credit to both the talent and Granato one would think. Still, special teams as mentioned is one thing. Another is the loss of faceoffs all night long...pretty grim.

Clark was a very, very big clark tonight (ugh).

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:48 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Great result.

I had many different emotions throughout the game; frustrated at first with Miller getting to see every puck coming at him, disheartened when that puck slipped through Budaj's pads, disappointment when we barely mustered a shot in the first 10 minutes of the 3rd, hope when Leo put it in, and then joy when Budaj stopped 3 of 5 to win it.

We showed tonight that we are for real as long as the goaltending is there. That's something that most of us knew already, but still had alot to prove around the league. I've seen many aspects of our game called into question that were strong, so it's nice to see 5 wins in a row show some people we can be right there if the big saves come.

There's a big difference between TG and Coach Q. Coach Q would've gone away from the game plan and started making pointless line alterations, while TG made one small one. It was evident throughout the game that Jonesy wanted to prove a point. He was knocking bodies around, using skill down low, and most importantly generating scoring chances. It wasn't that Wojtek was playing poorly, but TG recognized that Jonesy would bring a dimension to Joe's line that he has in the past. Joe had a couple of good chances after the switch just because one of the two defensemen would always have to respect Jones going to the net. Great change.

I love our D. Leave it to the warrior of all warriors, Adam Foote, to correct an unfortunate mistake by offering up a monster game tonight. He must've blocked 5 or 6 key shots tonight. He even made a 'cheeky back heel' to keep it in the zone once. Jumped up into the play several times, even if his offensive skills are limited(God love him). JML was fantastic again. Hannan kept it simple and continues to go unnoticed; sure he's on a big contract, but that's what we want from him. Leo continues to push for more minutes, he can do it all when his head's in the game. Salei did what we expect him to do, and that's crash bodies and get his shots on net from the point. Clark struggled a bit, he needs to really pick up the tempo in our zone. Looks at half speed.

Not much needs to be said about our big line tonight. Milan and Smitty got the apples for the goal. They were kept in check alot of the game by Buffalo's high pressure on the puck carrier. This line plays so close together on the ice that when multiple forecheckers are on them, it's easier to eliminate the time on the puck for all three. Smyth must've been hanging out with Hemsky or something, because he's consistently beating two defenders with the puck. Don't know where this sudden huge stickhandling skill came from, but I'll take it.

All in all, feeling good with 5 straight wins. How can you not?

Go Avs.
Welcome aboard