HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chances we'll re-sign Zherdev?

Old
10-25-2008, 11:27 AM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
Chances we'll re-sign Zherdev?

What do you guys think? Looking at some of the contracts on this team, I'm pretty worried he's going to leave NY for a bigger paycheck when the time comes. Heck, if Drury is making 7 million with his 2 assists in 10 games you know Zherdev will be asking for his fair share as well.

Anyhow, I'm going to enjoy it while he's here, but I just don't have a good feeling about him re-signing. Any thoughts?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I think it's almost 100%.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:34 AM
boxcar
we want MOORE

i like that he is in a contract year. all i can ask is that he play his butt off this season.

boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Gotta wait the full season unfortunately to better comment on your thoughts of his instinicts.

If he has a great year, becomes even better friends with Dubi, Voros....

If we draft a good Russian in the first round...

If Ani or Grachev show great improvement...he becomes good friends with them.... maybe they make the big club...

There's so many things that can go wrong or right regarding his desire to sign a contract extension.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:55 AM
TheZherdev

dont worry you have to believe a guy like roszival or naslund would be traded if they had to re-sign Z. Z is a potential franchise player. You dont just let those guys leave. Only threat is the KHL throwing big money and as much as Z might be enjoying himself much more in NY than he did in Columbus theres a decent chance that the kid has become homesick.

I put my money he will be re-signed, how much and how its going to affect the rest of the team is a mystery. Im taking a wild guess that the cap stays the same at the end of the year. Kalinin and Mara off the books (replaced by Potter and Sangs) would free up about $2 million. If Prucha gets traded which he probably will thats another 1.6. So the rangers could still re-sign dubi and Z without making significant changes.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:56 AM
ThirdEye

It does seem like he's enjoying his time here... but this being his contract year I can't help but wonder how much of that is genuine. I'm pretty sure Hossa acted similarly and frequently told the media he loved Pittsburgh, yet he still fled when the opportunity arose.

I really do hope we can resign him though. I agree with some people here that he has looked very similar to Ovechkin out there at times. He had two really awesome hits last night. Never expected anything like that from him. Also, he's a +7!

Old
10-25-2008, 12:05 PM
TheHotRock

i think the chances we re-sign him are prettttttyyy prettttyyyyy prettttyyyy good

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 54
I don't think Dubinsky would let him leave.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:07 PM
boxcar
we want MOORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
It does seem like he's enjoying his time here... but this being his contract year I can't help but wonder how much of that is genuine. I'm pretty sure Hossa acted similarly and frequently told the media he loved Pittsburgh, yet he still fled when the opportunity arose.

I really do hope we can resign him though. I agree with some people here that he has looked very similar to Ovechkin out there at times. He had two really awesome hits last night. Never expected anything like that from him. Also, he's a +7!
hey so far so good for sure but OVECHKIN??!! I am lucky enough to see him quite a bit (i live in DC) games/practice, thats a s t r e t c h. Ovie has a jet pack on his back!

boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:

He's basically done everything the first 10 games that everyone said he doesn't do.

His attitude: A
His physical play: A
His defensive play: B+

....all that he's been heavily involved in so far, and that was the knock on his game.

His offense hasn't been "mind blowing" good yet but that's there too...

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
I don't think Dubinsky would let him leave.
I agree. Columbus posters were saying how he didn't really enjoy scoring goals last season and beyond, but this year he has shown a lot of pride and joy in scoring. Maybe he found the right place to be. I'm calling Zherdev, and Dubinsky re-signed by January 20th each.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:12 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
Him, Dubinsky, and Voros all seem to get along real good. Which is exactly what Zherdev needs to feel welcomed here in New York.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

Big difference in Hossa and Zherdev. Hossa was a UFA and got offers up to 8 mil+. Zherdev is an RFA that will probably make ~5 mil.

Also another big difference. NYC >>>>>>>>>>> Pittsburgh

Old
10-25-2008, 12:20 PM
irishlaxburger2

Strong to, uh, quite strong.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:20 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
hey so far so good for sure but OVECHKIN??!! I am lucky enough to see him quite a bit (i live in DC) games/practice, thats a s t r e t c h. Ovie has a jet pack on his back!
No, don't get me wrong, Ovechkin is on another level. I'm just saying that the game he plays is somewhat similar. He does not have the panache that Ovechkin carries around with him though. No player does

Old
10-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
He really seems to love it here, and seems to fit in with the team. I'm so glad he is playing well for us. Not only on offense but he is hitting and backchecking. Hopefully we can keep him for the long run.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Celestial Black

I sure hope that we do.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

The chances we make an offer to him are virtually guaranteed, IMO. The chances he'll actually re-sign with us are high, but that isn't quite a guarantee. The KHL, offer sheets and the terms of our offer are all factors that have to be considered.

For right now though, it seems he's very happy here and is doing very well.

I think we'll offer him a Semin-like contract. 4.6 mil for a couple years until we can afford to give him more and see if he really breaks out.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 01:09 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Big difference in Hossa and Zherdev. Hossa was a UFA and got offers up to 8 mil+. Zherdev is an RFA that will probably make ~5 mil.
For some reason, I can see him signing 3-4years at 4mil (atleast I hope he would take a deal like that). With the big contracts that have been thrown around, it is going to be tough locking up all our youth.

I wounder what the offer sheet for Dubi/Staal will look like. I hope we resign Mara as well.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 01:17 PM
beastly115

I hope he re-signs. Like someone else mentioned, he's done everything well that the Columbus fans said he doesn't do. And he fits in well in the locker room. It's good that he plays well on the ice, but it's even better that he fits in with the guys on a personal level.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 01:18 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
No, don't get me wrong, Ovechkin is on another level. I'm just saying that the game he plays is somewhat similar. He does not have the panache that Ovechkin carries around with him though. No player does
Where Zherdev is similar to Ovechkin is in the "lightning quick hands" department. No, Zherdev will not match Ovechkin in terms of production. But, I believe Zherdev can be a 40-goal scorer in this league. He has that kind of talent.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
For some reason, I can see him signing 3-4years at 4mil (atleast I hope he would take a deal like that). With the big contracts that have been thrown around, it is going to be tough locking up all our youth.

I wounder what the offer sheet for Dubi/Staal will look like. I hope we resign Mara as well.
Dubi will get around 3-4 IMO, and Staal will get a max of 3.5

Old
10-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post

Also another big difference. NYC >>>>>>>>>>> Pittsburgh
If another team stole him as an RFA, what round picks do we get?

I want the rags to give dubi a life-time contract. Love the kid. I want him to be a life-time ranger. Not enough of em.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
If another team stole him as an RFA, what round picks do we get?

I want the rags to give dubi a life-time contract. Love the kid. I want him to be a life-time ranger. Not enough of em.
For Z I can see him getting a 5.5 one if he keeps up his pace. But I would think we would match it. I think anywhere up to ~6 we wouldn't match and it would be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Old
10-25-2008, 01:56 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The chances we make an offer to him are virtually guaranteed, IMO. The chances he'll actually re-sign with us are high, but that isn't quite a guarantee. The KHL, offer sheets and the terms of our offer are all factors that have to be considered.

For right now though, it seems he's very happy here and is doing very well.

I think we'll offer him a Semin-like contract. 4.6 mil for a couple years until we can afford to give him more and see if he really breaks out.
thats pretty much how i feel as well....the rangers will do everything they can to resign zherdev, dubi and staal this year/offseason because they are the future....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote