HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chances we'll re-sign Zherdev?

Old
10-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
i dont want him to hit free agency. i want him re-signed well before we reach that point. same with dubi.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 03:23 PM
TrueBlueNorwegian

I know this thread is about Zherdev. But imo Dubi and Staal are more important to lock up. If we can lock up those two, we arguably have the strongest core in the east. Veteran leadership, experience, youth and speed + the second best goaltender in the NHL.

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 03:27 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post
Him, Dubinsky, and Voros all seem to get along real good. Which is exactly what Zherdev needs to feel welcomed here in New York.
Ahh, but neither speak Russian. Kalinin and Valiquette do... does Zherdev speak English yet?

You see how the whole country of Russia was devastated by Cherepanov's death... Jagr is like a god there... I'm sure Z is 'kind of a big deal' also.

So it's tough. Weigh it out: play in the NHL in the most electrifying city and arena, be with your NEW friends and settle for 4M/season... or go home where you're worshiped nationwide, you can play with your OLD friends, have family at every game, and make 7M.

It's a very tough one to call, and I agree with the poster who said there are too many factors, we must wait and see.

I personally always expect the worst though.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 03:29 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post
I know this thread is about Zherdev. But imo Dubi and Staal are more important to lock up. If we can lock up those two, we arguably have the strongest core in the east. Veteran leadership, experience, youth and speed + the second best goaltender in the NHL.
Staal has 2 more years.

Old
10-25-2008, 03:33 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
were gonna deal nazzy, so that will give us money.
maybe pru is gone to.

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 03:35 PM
squishy

Where do we come up with the cap space to give both Dubi and Zherdev $3-5 each with the cap unlikely to increase much, or even go down due to the economic downturn? (See how hard MSG is flogging available individual tickets this season if you don't believe revenues will be affected -- I got an email advertising tickets for tonight's game -- against Crosby and the Pens! -- earlier this week.)

Drury, no movement clause, Naslund, no movement clause, Redden, no trade (movement?) clause. Gomez, limited no trade clause. Henrik's certainly here to stay. That's almost $32m in 5 players. That leaves maybe $24m for 16-17 more players. $5m of that is already allocated to Roszival, $1.55m to Girardi, $.826 to Staal. So that's $39m spent. So $17m for 13-14 players. Say you give Zherdev and Dubi and average of $4m between them, that leaves $9m for 11-12 players. Say it's 11 players -- that leaves about $810,000 per player. Half the better guys in Hartford will be due more than that...

I sure hope Slats has something up his sleeve, because it doesn't look good from where I'm sitting. Barring trading Gomez -- which almost seems like a necessity -- the only place to save money is on Roszival, but who's going to take his contract? I don't know, maybe Bettman's telling the truth when he says everything's honky dory and that the league won't be effected by the economy and the salary cap will continue to go up. But I see major problems ahead next summer. All another team has to do is put an offer sheet in one Dubi or Zherdev and Slat's is pretty much screwed.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Ahh, but neither speak Russian. Kalinin and Valiquette do... does Zherdev speak English yet?

You see how the whole country of Russia was devastated by Cherepanov's death... Jagr is like a god there... I'm sure Z is 'kind of a big deal' also.

So it's tough. Weigh it out: play in the NHL in the most electrifying city and arena, be with your NEW friends and settle for 4M/season... or go home where you're worshiped nationwide, you can play with your OLD friends, have family at every game, and make 7M.

It's a very tough one to call, and I agree with the poster who said there are too many factors, we must wait and see.

I personally always expect the worst though.
Z is Ukrainian, he knows English. Plus he also ran away from his old team in the RSL.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Where do we come up with the cap space to give both Dubi and Zherdev $3-5 each with the cap unlikely to increase much, or even go down due to the economic downturn? (See how hard MSG is flogging available individual tickets this season if you don't believe revenues will be affected -- I got an email advertising tickets for tonight's game -- against Crosby and the Pens! -- earlier this week.)

Drury, no movement clause, Naslund, no movement clause, Redden, no trade (movement?) clause. Gomez, limited no trade clause. Henrik's certainly here to stay. That's almost $32m in 5 players. That leaves maybe $24m for 16-17 more players. $5m of that is already allocated to Roszival, $1.55m to Girardi, $.826 to Staal. So that's $39m spent. So $17m for 13-14 players. Say you give Zherdev and Dubi and average of $4m between them, that leaves $9m for 11-12 players. Say it's 11 players -- that leaves about $810,000 per player. Half the better guys in Hartford will be due more than that...

I sure hope Slats has something up his sleeve, because it doesn't look good from where I'm sitting. Barring trading Gomez -- which almost seems like a necessity -- the only place to save money is on Roszival, but who's going to take his contract? I don't know, maybe Bettman's telling the truth when he says everything's honky dory and that the league won't be effected by the economy and the salary cap will continue to go up. But I see major problems ahead next summer. All another team has to do is put an offer sheet in one Dubi or Zherdev and Slat's is pretty much screwed.
We're not gonna be the only team affected if there is a downgrade in the Salary Cap. Look at teams in our division. The only team that won't have cap problems is the Islanders. Flyers are lucky to be under cap. Devils only have like 2-3 mil wiggle room, and Pittsburgh has the Staal contract to settle, and Malkin contract kicks in.

Redden has a LNTC I believe. I know it's not a full one though. I doubt he's going anywhere. But I can see Rozsival getting traded, maybe at deadline even if he still doesn't know what the word defense means. Someone would take him. I can also see him getting unloaded in the off-season with the emergence of Sangs if he's ready.

With that said. No one should be in panic mode, just yet.

Old
10-25-2008, 03:45 PM
gaglinefan

Zherdev

Err let him play, pay him what he is worth. The guy is a finisher, goal scorer, best we have. The team will make it work. Yea, thats it, genius...

Last edited by gaglinefan: 10-25-2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: *$%^*&**
gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Celestial Black

I would like to see them all signed by Jan.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Oh man, were going to have to move Rozy, Prucha, and probably some one else if we want to keep Zherdev, Dubi, and Staal.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 05:57 PM
beastly115

What do you guys think would be a fair extension for Z? 5 years @ 5.5M?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 06:01 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
dont worry you have to believe a guy like roszival or naslund would be traded if they had to re-sign Z. Z is a potential franchise player. You dont just let those guys leave. Only threat is the KHL throwing big money and as much as Z might be enjoying himself much more in NY than he did in Columbus theres a decent chance that the kid has become homesick.

I put my money he will be re-signed, how much and how its going to affect the rest of the team is a mystery. Im taking a wild guess that the cap stays the same at the end of the year. Kalinin and Mara off the books (replaced by Potter and Sangs) would free up about $2 million. If Prucha gets traded which he probably will thats another 1.6. So the rangers could still re-sign dubi and Z without making significant changes.
Why would they need to trade naslund? he makes less than rozy and more pts , lol.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 06:01 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Seems fair. But I think Sather can get him to 5 years 25 mil.

Old
10-25-2008, 06:02 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
if he has a good year, that would be a slap in the face imo.

Old
10-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Not at all. He's an RFA not a UFA. It makes a HUGE difference.

Old
10-25-2008, 06:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I think we'll get him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 06:26 PM
NYR Viper

imo the rangers need to work on geting both zherdev and dubinsky locked up for a long time.....both need 6-7 year deals so that the rangers can try to sign them for 4-5 million for a longer amount of time....both are the future of this organization on offense and that would give them each 24-35 million and some stability

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 06:59 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
$5.5m/year being a slap in the face? I would say the Datsyuk contract is a kick in the balls then.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 07:04 PM
FromTheSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
$5.5m/year being a slap in the face? I would say the Datsyuk contract is a kick in the balls then.
LOL.

i thought he meant 5.5mill for A 5yr contract , meaning 1.1mill a year, still laughing @ datsyuk though.

Old
10-25-2008, 07:16 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
LOL.

i thought he meant 5.5mill for A 5yr contract , meaning 1.1mill a year, still laughing @ datsyuk though.
Ah that makes sense

I would think $4-4.5m for 3-4 years seems like an acceptable offer if he keeps his play up.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 09:43 PM
BobMarleyNYR

After that, 12M x 10 years

Old
10-25-2008, 09:53 PM
beastly115

Quote:
LOL.

lmao

if slats could pull that off, i'd build a shrine to him and worship it.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Clearthezone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
imo the rangers need to work on geting both zherdev and dubinsky locked up for a long time.....both need 6-7 year deals so that the rangers can try to sign them for 4-5 million for a longer amount of time....both are the future of this organization on offense and that would give them each 24-35 million and some stability
I'm guessing Sather needs to make some cap space.

Clearthezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

give them both the same contract, 6 years, 4.5 per each.

get rid of rozsival and gomez this summer if need be. These 2 are WAY more important to the long term growth of this team.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote