HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Pleau's drafting and dealing

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2004, 06:18 AM
Felix

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Felix
Thoughts on Pleau's drafting and dealing

Lots have been said about Pleau and his activities. I just decided to analyze his job by myself (mainly I pay attention to drafting).

Since Pleau stated he focused on defense - let's start from our D.
Pronger was brought before Pleau.
Backman - 1st round pick in 1998: seems to become a legit top-4 defensman.
Jachman - 1st round pick in 1999: needs no description.
Already on the roster Salvador (signed as FA), Walker (drafted in 1998) and you have a very solid core of young defensmen for the years to come.

Add to the mix recenrly drafted Belle, Fitzgerald, Byrne and that make the future really bright.
Besides, Khavanov played decent hockey for several seasons...

On offense thing are much worse.
While Taffe ( a 1st round in 2000) is considered in the league as player with high potential, for now I can only name Nagy as decent first line player. But both of them are gone. So is Handzus.
Cajanek, in my opinion, is solid 3rd line centre. And I would not demand from him to be 2nd line pivotman just to be frustrated with him at this position.
McClement - the slosest to NHL prospect is not projected to be top-six player.

One can't turn the time back. But Tkachuk trade appeared to hurt our farm on offense.

All hopes are on 2002 and 2003 drafts that some of the players can become legit top-six players (SHkotov, Zkharov, Backs etc.).

Goalies.
Always are longterm projects (unless they are 1st picks averall).
Nissinen and Barulin seems to be decent proscpects for future.
And Divis surprisingly climbed up to backup role...

Overall, although I disagree with some things Pleau did over last years, I'd not be willing to fire him now. Every GM makes mistakes. Hope, Pleau learns on his mistakes. Let him continou to restock aor farm with prospects (especially with Jarmo on the board).

Old
02-28-2004, 12:56 PM
Nick Blue

IMO, the Tkachuk trade alone is not what hurt the Blues. What hurt the Blues was the combination of the Tkachuk trade AND the decision afterwards to substantially cut payroll. If the budget had stayed the same, Pleau could easily have signed a couple 2nd tier free agents to shore up the offense and offset the loss of the roster players traded for Tkachuk. In hindsight, there appears to have been a budgetary misjudgement at a high level within the Blues organIzation. Any company that I have worked for has had long term future budgetary projections for FTE's (full time employees) Gantt charted out the wazoo. Didnt the Blues?

Another substantial factor in the current demise of the Blues has to be the loss of Al MacInnis, possibly the best player to ever don the 'Note. Its pretty clear now, in his absence, how important this single player was to the team, not only on the ice, but in the lockerroom, where he was by far and away the team's leader.

Old
02-28-2004, 03:22 PM
c-carp

I cannot prove this but I dont think anyone is complaining about the Tkachuk deal if they just pony up a few bucks in the summer and keep Stillman or Rucinsky. We are a one line team right now and that is a problem even if you had Gretzky, Neely and Hull on it. we have no depth up front.

Old
02-28-2004, 03:44 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I cannot prove this but I dont think anyone is complaining about the Tkachuk deal if they just pony up a few bucks in the summer and keep Stillman or Rucinsky. We are a one line team right now and that is a problem even if you had Gretzky, Neely and Hull on it. we have no depth up front.
I agree. But the blues were hoping sejna could fill in on some of that scoring. And we had no reason to think he couldnt at the time. And with mayers coming back, alot of people thought the goal differential wouldnt be that drastic.

Old
02-28-2004, 04:36 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
I agree. But the blues were hoping sejna could fill in on some of that scoring. And we had no reason to think he couldnt at the time. And with mayers coming back, alot of people thought the goal differential wouldnt be that drastic.
Absolutely, aside from Senja and mayers they expected more out of Bogy, but he got hurt and has had trouble getting going. they had a lot of gambles up front backfire. Heinsight is a vertue they dont have.

Closed Thread