HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Congrats to Milan Lucic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-26-2008, 11:59 PM
  #26
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,782
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
Does your hate have anything to do with the team you cheer for?

He's everything a hockey player should be, he is a hard worker, tries as hard in the defensive zone as in the offensive zone, and hes a good guy. Whats not to like other than the fact that he plays for the bruins?
Maybe he's Croatian

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 12:13 AM
  #27
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
Does your hate have anything to do with the team you cheer for?

He's everything a hockey player should be, he is a hard worker, tries as hard in the defensive zone as in the offensive zone, and hes a good guy. Whats not to like other than the fact that he plays for the bruins?
I wouldnt care if he was playing on the habs or the vegas night runners.

He is a decent player with good size, tries hard, but he lacks any significant talent. Dosent have a great stride, his scoring abilities are average and hasnt proved anything to warrant such constant praise.

He works hard, goes to corners, fights and will be a fan favorite because of these things, but some people, namesly bruins fans take him for a god. Alot of NHL'ers qualify in these categories. Oh yes but hes only 20 and a good guy, i forgot those.

I see him as a Turner Stevenson type player and he never received any sort of wild accolades.

Everyone has there own opinions, its just mine.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 12:19 AM
  #28
Vman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Burnaby, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyCheetah View Post
IIRC the Canucks didn't have a 2nd round pick that year. Drafting Milan instead of
Grabner at 14 overall would have been inconceivable circa 2006 and he was long gone before our next pick in the third. I would love Lucic on the Nucks but blaming Nonis seems rediculous. On a side note durring the draft I seem to recall Lucic durring an interview calculating the years before he's ufa and can sign with the Nucks.

Shy
Canucks should have traded for a 2nd round pick to get Milan.
Didn't Nonis trade the 2nd rounder during the trade deadline?

Vman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 12:29 AM
  #29
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I think he's going to get strong consideration for Team Canada in 2010. He's the type of player that would fit perfectly on a star-studded team with his work ethic, unselfish attitude, physical play, and defensive awareness. I hope Steve Yzerman and his staff having Lucic on their list, and I'm sure that Lucic will make the country proud if he was named to the team.
There is NOOOOOO Way Lucic is going to be on the Canadian Olympic Team...none.

Go look at Canadian Forwards/Wingers around the league that can hit, play a two-way game, and score..... Lucic is a good young player and all... but come on now... Team Canada?? You have to be kidding.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 12:58 AM
  #30
cneely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
There is NOOOOOO Way Lucic is going to be on the Canadian Olympic Team...none.

Go look at Canadian Forwards/Wingers around the league that can hit, play a two-way game, and score..... Lucic is a good young player and all... but come on now... Team Canada?? You have to be kidding.
Once again, the truth is somewhere in between.
I agree with Beaker. Olympic team.... Give your head a shake.

Turner Stevenson... He's 20, and already better than Turner.

The guy will be a 25-30-55 banger who will hit everything in sight and kick the crap out of a lot of middleweights. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he's half way between Chris Neil and Brendan Morrow. Given his recent surge, and offensive potential, I say a tougher Morrow is his peak. Given that, and the fact that he's still got a long way to go, suggesting him for an Olympic team is ridiculously premature.

Writing him off is also questionable though. This is where I disagree with Beaker. He has the potential. As you're a Habs fan, I'd suggest you consider him a Letandresse plus 30 pounds with a mean streak. Not a bad package.


Last edited by cneely: 10-27-2008 at 01:43 AM. Reason: good god I'm drunk... Does this make sense?
cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:46 AM
  #31
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,782
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Writing him off is also questionable though. This is where I disagree with Beaker. He has the potential. As you're a Habs fan, I'd suggest you consider him a Letandresse plus 30 pounds with a mean streak. Not a bad package.
Gui has much better hands. But I do wish Gui played more like Lucic.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:50 AM
  #32
cneely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Gui has much better hands. But I do wish Gui played more like Lucic.
I don't know. Lucic's hands and vision are very, very underrated, largely due to his physical play.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:06 AM
  #33
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Once again, the truth is somewhere in between.
I agree with Beaker. Olympic team.... Give your head a shake.

Turner Stevenson... He's 20, and already better than Turner.

The guy will be a 25-30-55 banger who will hit everything in sight and kick the crap out of a lot of middleweights. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he's half way between Chris Neil and Brendan Morrow. Given his recent surge, and offensive potential, I say a tougher Morrow is his peak. Given that, and the fact that he's still got a long way to go, suggesting him for an Olympic team is ridiculously premature.

Writing him off is also questionable though. This is where I disagree with Beaker. He has the potential. As you're a Habs fan, I'd suggest you consider him a Letandresse plus 30 pounds with a mean streak. Not a bad package.
Better than Turner Stevenson... yes, i'll agree with that... Lucic has more offensive potential than Stevenson put together in his career. I think you're a little high with the tougher Brendan Morrow ceiling... I wouldn't go that high....

I'd say 20-25-45 is his peak... and I agree with a better Chris Neil. I see Guillaime as being a potential 35-35-70 guy. I do think that Lucic will be more of an all-around player than Guillaime... better hitter, better defence.

I like the mean streak... I really wish Guillaime would hit to punish people again like he did before he injured Dimaio. I'm not saying to hit dirty, because i don't want that... but he is a big boy and he should be throwing his weight around more than he does.

But yeah the Canadian Olympic team thoughts are crazy.... Brendan Morrow is a bubble player to make it (personally i would take him)... Even if you think that Lucic's career potential is Brendan Morrow... you can't say he is there now, or will be in one year's time. Brendan Morrow is a bubble guy, which means Lucic isn't even in the discussion for 2010. There is nothing wrong with that... picking 23 guys from Canada to form an olympic team means only the best of the best get to go. Obviously Guillaime will also not even be a consideration for that team. In fact the only habs who have a shot would both be longshots at best and that would be Price as the third goalie; and Alex Tanguay if he has a career year this year, and another great start to next year... no other Canadian born players on the habs stand a chance. On the bruins Savard and Bergeron are longshots (centre is Canada's deepest position; Crosby, Lecavalier, Thornton,[locks] and then M.Richards, E Staal, Getzlaf, etc...) and thats about it.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 08:52 AM
  #34
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
There is NOOOOOO Way Lucic is going to be on the Canadian Olympic Team...none.

Go look at Canadian Forwards/Wingers around the league that can hit, play a two-way game, and score..... Lucic is a good young player and all... but come on now... Team Canada?? You have to be kidding.
I agree. I just said I hope he gets considered and, if there are injuries to a role player, that he would be given a shot. I think Yzerman will likely have at least one checking line, which likely (at this time) consist of Morrow, Richards, and Doan. But if one of them gets injured and/or Lucic's play improves greatly, Lucic could have a shot.

Lucic is a much better version of either Turner Stevenson or Chris Neil. He's a better skater than either them, has better hands, and can kill penalties. He's similar to Morrow, but bigger. And with the Olympics using North American-sized rinks, Lucic could excel and be a sparkplug for Team Canada. I realize it's a long shot, but he deserves consideration.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 09:04 AM
  #35
8BostonRocker24
Registered User
 
8BostonRocker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Gatos via Boston
Country: China
Posts: 9,235
vCash: 500
I would like to see Lucic model his game after Mike Knuble. Nobody will ever call Knuble a 3rd liner, but he's not a 'true' first liner either. He can't create his own offense but he can mooch off others and he is The NHL's elite garbage goal scorer. Something Lucic could/should be able to do. I would be fine with Knuble scoring + Neely's mean streak.

Cam Neely was an elite goal scorer, Lucic will never be an elite goal scorer, sniper. Lucic will never have Cam's shoot, but very very few will.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 09:25 AM
  #36
weaponomega
Registered User
 
weaponomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
I wouldnt care if he was playing on the habs or the vegas night runners.

He is a decent player with good size, tries hard, but he lacks any significant talent. Dosent have a great stride, his scoring abilities are average and hasnt proved anything to warrant such constant praise.

He works hard, goes to corners, fights and will be a fan favorite because of these things, but some people, namesly bruins fans take him for a god. Alot of NHL'ers qualify in these categories. Oh yes but hes only 20 and a good guy, i forgot those.

I see him as a Turner Stevenson type player and he never received any sort of wild accolades.

Everyone has there own opinions, its just mine.
Turner Stevenson's career high in pts: 27

Milan Lucic's career high in pts: 27.

Yea I see the similarities.


They may play a similar game, but Lucic is miles ahead of Stevenson in terms of offensive ability.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 09:27 AM
  #37
GoneAway
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Once again, the truth is somewhere in between.
I agree with Beaker. Olympic team.... Give your head a shake.

Turner Stevenson... He's 20, and already better than Turner.

The guy will be a 25-30-55 banger who will hit everything in sight and kick the crap out of a lot of middleweights. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, he's half way between Chris Neil and Brendan Morrow. Given his recent surge, and offensive potential, I say a tougher Morrow is his peak. Given that, and the fact that he's still got a long way to go, suggesting him for an Olympic team is ridiculously premature.
Writing him off is also questionable though. This is where I disagree with Beaker. He has the potential. As you're a Habs fan, I'd suggest you consider him a Letandresse plus 30 pounds with a mean streak. Not a bad package.

This is all I was able to get out of it.

Seriously though, good post.

  Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 09:35 AM
  #38
OMGaudreau
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,556
vCash: 500
Added to my man Crushes in the NHL - Milan Lucic!

OMGaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 09:45 AM
  #39
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
Does your hate have anything to do with the team you cheer for?

He's everything a hockey player should be, he is a hard worker, tries as hard in the defensive zone as in the offensive zone, and hes a good guy. Whats not to like other than the fact that he plays for the bruins?
So you must love Komisarek don't you?

I'll like Lucic the day he'll become a star player or a first liner (and that day might never come), for now, he's an overrated 3rd liner, just because he's big.

Yes, he's young and has potential but you don't evaluate a guy only on potential, especially when people drool over him.

...and forget the crap argument about me being a habs supporter, since I really like Chara and Bergeron and appreciate, although hate his personalty on the ice, Savard's abilities.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 09:48 AM
  #40
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,267
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Writing him off is also questionable though. This is where I disagree with Beaker. He has the potential. As you're a Habs fan, I'd suggest you consider him a Latendresse plus 30 pounds with a mean streak. Not a bad package.
I never knew Lucic was a sumo wrestler. Latendresse is like over 230.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 10:35 AM
  #41
whoshouse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Maybe he's Croatian
Don't let him hear you say that

whoshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:04 PM
  #42
LuigiStone*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
He is a beauty. Go Lucic.

LuigiStone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:08 PM
  #43
Andy
Moderator
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
So you must love Komisarek don't you?

I'll like Lucic the day he'll become a star player or a first liner (and that day might never come), for now, he's an overrated 3rd liner, just because he's big.Yes, he's young and has potential but you don't evaluate a guy only on potential, especially when people drool over him.

...and forget the crap argument about me being a habs supporter, since I really like Chara and Bergeron and appreciate, although hate his personalty on the ice, Savard's abilities.
Do realize those are the exact same reasons why people on the habs boards drool over Guillaume Latendresse? So it's ok for habs fans to love Latendresse and overrate him as much as they want, but when people speak highly of Lucic it's wrong? Hypocracy much?

Just for the record, I think Lucic is better than Latendresse in terms of what he brings to the team.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:23 PM
  #44
cashman rules*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Timmins ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
am i the only one who dosent like this guy?

Alot of praise for a guy who scores 3 goals against a terrible team.
You don't like him because your team was so banged up after the first round and got smoked by the flyers? Lucic had a lot to do with that

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:42 PM
  #45
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,533
vCash: 500
Hugh Jessiman = the Lucic that never happened. Man I love Lucic. This guy rocks!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:29 PM
  #46
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,808
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini0518 View Post
Whats not to like other than the fact that he plays for the bruins?
Well playing for the Bruins is more than enough.... I would really like to see Bruins fans praising one of our guys....Trust me playing for the Habs is more than enough, last year Ryder was a weak, no-talent, diver and this year he's the second coming of 'cause SUDDENLY Bruins fans realizes how tough he is and how great he will be....

Having said all of that, anybody who wouldn't want Lucic in his team is fooling themselves. And the kid is making me eat some crow to say the least, never would I have thought he would've made the NHL as far as he did.

I don't care on which line he's playing, whatever role he's given, he does the job. And contrary to some fans, I thought that even without his big game he just played. 'Cause you actually don't necessarily need a hat trick to do a good job 'cause if we're waiting for that to praise a player....

Good job by the kid.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 04:07 PM
  #47
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,622
vCash: 500
I love him and wish he was a Flyer.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 04:17 PM
  #48
overlords
#BargainBanned
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 26,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
Do realize those are the exact same reasons why people on the habs boards drool over Guillaume Latendresse? So it's ok for habs fans to love Latendresse and overrate him as much as they want, but when people speak highly of Lucic it's wrong? Hypocracy much?

Just for the record, I think Lucic is better than Latendresse in terms of what he brings to the team.
drool? If we're talking about habs fans, latendresse and the word ' drool' pops up, it's probably because somebody made a crack about him and Mcdonalds. Seriously, the whole summer has been a latendresse bash fest.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 04:20 PM
  #49
Nikita Filatov*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,301
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well playing for the Bruins is more than enough.... I would really like to see Bruins fans praising one of our guys....
I voted for Price in the Carey Price Vs. Fluery poll.

Does that count

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 05:31 PM
  #50
Jonas1235
Registered User
 
Jonas1235's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,532
vCash: 500
Milan Lucic needs a nickname.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.