HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: GGG - 7th PGT of the year.. night of lame 7s

Old
10-25-2008, 11:57 PM
boosterjuice

vCash: 500
Frustrating game to watch.

I loved our first line with Nilsson. Hemmer and Nilsson will have great chemistry if they stick together for awhile.

Cole was simply amazing! This is the one bright spot of the game. The guy was unstoppable on right side. That line was crap as soon as Cole got kicked out.

Garon let in a few freebies. Very worried about our goaltenders.

boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:57 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Yeah...let's all make fun of the Canucks.
So now it's Marc Crawford, Canucks fans and DSF showing up with his usual zero contribution quips to useless posts.

What else sucks about losing?

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Grebeshkov had one hell of a bad game. I don't what offence he produces, those turnovers have not gone down since preseason, its the same old ones too, he's pressured and he coughs the puck up. He needs to improve.

PK was horrible, we were giving them all the time in the world to make a play, like we were waiting for the puck to hit us and we'd try to clear it.

Visnovsky is far too inconsistent in the defensive zone within games for my liking. He'll have great plays like breaking up a 2-on-1, but then he'll having horrible plays like causing a 2-on-1.

Hemsky is taking baby steps towards becoming a player that can make a difference.

Garon needs to be better.

Defence in general needs to tighten up. I mean we were coughing the puck over, we had a ridiculous number of turnovers and 2-on-1's and to top it all off, we didn't play well in our own zone. Ridiculous.
I think Grebs lost his confidence in this one, but we were forced to keep throwing him out there because we were down to 5 D, and it just made matters worse...

Staios was pretty solid tonight I thought. Vis needs to tighten the screws a bit.

I don't know. This loss seems like it could be a turning point. I expect them to come out flying against Boston.

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:58 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Isn't there some Canucks party/downtown parade you should be at?
There is no downtown where I live.

Isn't there a funeral you need to attend?

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Yeah...let's all make fun of the Canucks.
Beats coming in here trying your best to pick little fights with Oilers fans.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lounge Act*

So...is Vancouver planning the parade again? Ya think they would have learned from the pre-season.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Unsustainable
HFBoards Sponsor

Dismal effort by the guys in the third. Even though they had some challenges thrown their way ( Cole ejected, Strudwick injured, and 3 games in 4 nights) they showed NO character.

If we lose Monday, we go back on the road for another half dozen games which has the possibility to bury this teams run at not only the Division, but most importantly the playoffs.

If this losing streak extends to 6 or 7 games a coaching change HAS to be in order. Thus far MacTavish hasn't shown an ability to prepare this team. Every game this season the team has been outplayed to start the game, and many times its resulted in taking a minor penalty within the opening frames of the 1st.

We lost tonight and we deserved to lose. Once again the team showed brief moments of brilliance. Unfortunately games consist of many moments sewn together and the Oil lack the necessary needle and threat required to win.

Unsustainable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:00 AM
gqlatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Tambellini didn't look very happy tonight.

I think MacT has legitimate reason to be worried, and that's the first time that thought has even crossed my mind.
There's no way KLo lets him fire MacT...

gqlatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Grebeshkov had one hell of a bad game. I don't what offence he produces, those turnovers have not gone down since preseason, its the same old ones too, he's pressured and he coughs the puck up. He needs to improve.

PK was horrible, we were giving them all the time in the world to make a play, like we were waiting for the puck to hit us and we'd try to clear it.

Visnovsky is far too inconsistent in the defensive zone within games for my liking. He'll have great plays like breaking up a 2-on-1, but then he'll having horrible plays like causing a 2-on-1.

Hemsky is taking baby steps towards becoming a player that can make a difference.

Garon needs to be better.

Defence in general needs to tighten up. I mean we were coughing the puck over, we had a ridiculous number of turnovers and 2-on-1's and to top it all off, we didn't play well in our own zone. Ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighttown View Post
Three comments:

Penner needs to play on one of the power plays, either for Horcoff on #1 or Cogs on #2.

The PK is God-awful. Even our kills seem like luck.

Kyle Brodziak may very well be in the AHL soon. In a game won by 3rd and 4th liners its tough to see so little from a guy we counted on for double digit goals. And yes, I'm aware he played with the Hansens tonight but this is an all-year comment.
There's not much that I don't agree with here.

I can't believe the team isn't trying more plays down low on the PP. We went through this all of last season where we tried to setup Souray's shot and teams played tight point. Having two shooters doesn't make THAT much more of a difference. You can't totally abandon your net play.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
The Nucks had a lot of chances too.

Our defense is way too loose right now, and our PK needs to gain some kind of gap control. We're collapsing to the net - and that's the problem: everyone is collapsing at the same time. The passing lanes right now are big enough for a truck to drive through.
Sounds like how the Canucks played the last few games. Oilers will bounce back and Canucks will go on a 3 game losing streak, just watch.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
Beats coming in here trying your best to pick little fights with Oilers fans.
I expect the picking is coming from the other side. Just watch.

And I am an Oiler fan..just not an idiot.

Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqlatin View Post
There's no way KLo lets him fire MacT...
He will and Katz will be the one that will send the order down. And there isn't a damn thing KLo will do about it.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Heavy Dee

never has a whole lot of confidence in Garon to be honest (not lyin)...time to revisit Roli/JDD.....like I said, good teams dont lose 3 in a row...

Heavy Dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:02 AM
frag2

anybody thought the refs threw smac out of the game fearing he would cause ****? that was lame. all he was doing was pulling people out, yet he gets a penalty for it. ****!

mact is an idiot...but we already knew that. he's too passive, too nice of a coach. when the game was out of reach, i was hoping he'd get storts and smac to start ****. when you lose as bad as this, you want to at the very least make the other teams pay for their victory. what does mact do? tries fancy and sends out hemmer to give that no-look-gimme to the canucks.

so frustrating watching this team....at least cole was playing great. we really have poor asset management. i was soooo hoping smac to stir **** at the end, like the big brawl game.

ugh....

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
It's not time to panic. But at least Cole is playing where he should be, and that first line actually looked good with Nilsson on it.

Gagner played better.

I'm still waiting for Brodziak to do something positive. And Stortini has been a complete letdown this season.
Stortini has lost all his confidence, now we have Mac who can hit and fight why do we need Storts? He hasnt done anything!

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lounge Act*

Quote:

from what I've seen of you.

Last edited by theoil: 10-26-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: personal insults are not helpful
Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Thou View Post
So...is Vancouver planning the parade again? Ya think they would have learned from the pre-season.
Their fanbase is by far the dumbest "drunken euphoria after a win" dog and pony show I've ever seen in any pro sport, so no, they don't (and won't) ever learn a thing. They win against Edmonton or Calgary and they could lose 15 in a row before that and they think suddenly they're a tweak away from winning the Cup.

I hope them chanting will come back to curse them again, the last time they did that garbage we went straight to the SCF the following season.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I stayed in long enough tonight to get this rant off, so here we go!

This was a typical Saturday night in Vancouver for this team. For the last 5 or 6 years it is the exact same BS on Saturday nights in Vancouver. They show up, we don't respond, we get down early, get it going a bit in the 2nd and completly fold with embarrassing decisions with the puck in the 3rd period. It is disgusting and you would THINK that MacTavish would have figured this out by now!

Gilbert on one freakin shift in the 2nd period turns the puck over 3 times in his own zone!?!?!?!? Sit him now! Looks like the contract has gone to his head a bit. And while we're on the topic of defense....this is the worst defensive team in the LEAGUE right now. They likely aren't all year, they're likely middle of the pack all year defensivly, but right now it's humiliating. Any team gets a cycle going against us and everyone starts scrambling. I'm not saying Matty G was great tonight by any means, but we have to help him out a BIT, and I said the same thing on Wednesday night in Chicago with Roli. ZERO help.

One big problem that I've had all season thus far is Shawn Horcoff starting to think he's Brendan Shanahan on the PP. Dude, you're not. You haven't got a big one timer, those guys behind you do. Stick to setting up your linemates on the PP and getting into a spot where you can let your wrist shot go.

Hemsky is disgusting for the better part of this season, let's move on....

I said at the end of last season that Mac T earned himself another season, but if the team got off to a bad start I wasn't going to hesitate to beat that drum. We're 7 games in and we're 4-3-0. Obviously it's not that time....yet. This team SHOULD be 2-5-0. We're lucky. The wins we've had they could have went either way, the loses were definitive. He needs to turn this ship around quickley. I'm not saying we need to be 9 games above .500, but we need to start showing signs of being a damn good team which we have the talent to be. The big knock on Mac T at the end of last season was that we got hot when injuries forced him to play the kids. I'm one of those people that says that. But at the same time you can't argue with his record last season with a team that had such low expectations. He has time to turn it around, but despite being 4-3-0, he's not off to a good start.

This was another embarrassing Saturday night in Vancouver and I'm extremely sick of it, espically after those 2 tank jobs previous to tonight.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
I think Grebs lost his confidence in this one, but we were forced to keep throwing him out there because we were down to 5 D, and it just made matters worse...

Staios was pretty solid tonight I thought. Vis needs to tighten the screws a bit.

I don't know. This loss seems like it could be a turning point. I expect them to come out flying against Boston.
I wish we could use 'he lost his confidence' excuse, but really, I've been calling him on his turn-overs pretty much every game. He needs to man-up.

Agreed with Staios, I thought he played well, and also with Vis, he does need to tighten up a bit.

Boston is gonna be a real tough one to win. They have a deadly mix of skill and physicality, it'll be a hard on to pull of if the boys bring this game again.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SourOil

Quote:

well at least we have that cleared up.

SourOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gqlatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
He will and Katz will be the one that will send the order down. And there isn't a damn thing KLo will do about it.
I will throw a party if it happens.
Seriously. lol

gqlatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
never has a whole lot of confidence in Garon to be honest (not lyin)...time to revisit Roli/JDD.....like I said, good teams dont lose 3 in a row...
JDD was arguably worse than Garon in the win against Calgary. (Kipper might have been worse than both of them in that game though).

Roloson might get another shot here, although I don't think it'll last.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lessy

After the first two periods I was actually feeling some optimism about this team. That all changed in the third. You'd think the prospect of losing 3 in a row would motivate a team entering the final stanza in a tie game. It sure didn't look that way for us.

-The officiating was suspect at best. Some blatant missed calls on the Canucks (interference on Nilsson at the 4 minute mark of the 2nd, Pouliot getting hooked and driven into the net to name a few) and the joke that was the interference call on Horcoff that led to the eventual game winner.

-The first line had a ton of chemistry. Bobby Nilsson was awesome. Got his bell rung a few times and kept going and had a really inspired effort from start to finish. Hemsky was so-so which is still a substantial improvement. Horcoff is nowhere near where he needs to be at the offensive end. He had a ton of solid one-time opportunities from the slot that he couldn't cash in on.

-Gagner and Cogliano were invisible. They need Cole with them as opposed to Penner in my books. Penner is arguably the laziest player on the team and does not go nearly 100% to the net to the same degree as Cole. Plug in Cole and you have a guy that will go through anything to get to the net and will retrieve pucks. I think Penner would work better on the down low cycle with Chopper and MAP.

-Cole was awesome until he got kicked out which hurt. Ridiculous move on Edler that would have been HON candidate material had he finished the play. MAP missed a glorious chance and what I consider to be the turning point of the game. Moreau once again played inspired hockey which was great to see.

-I've felt sorry for Brodziak being paired with two plugs in the past few games but he had all the opportunity tonight to play with solid players and he did **** all with it. It pains me to say it but losing Glencross is having a much bigger effect on our fourth line than many people gave credit for. I've always viewed that as a mistake.

-Stortini and Macintyre played their roles to perfection. Both had huge hits and weren't complete liabilities in our end. That's all you can ask for. I also liked the fact that they were trying to start **** at the end of the game. I was really hoping to see Macintyre start pumping one of Mitchell/Bieksa but by the time they started yapping at him the refs had him under control.

-The defense is our problem and will continue to be. We're way too soft with Gilbert and Grebs playing big minutes. They are both butter-soft and don't think the game nearly well enough to offset it. To think there were people wanting to give Grebs 4 million after the second game of the year is laughable. He's a dime a dozen mistake-prone defensemen. He'll have great nights and he'll have disastrous ones like tonight. I've always hated that Gilbert contract and he's done nothing this year to change that. He's so soft it's ridiculous. No intensity, no emotion, and frankly not enough offensive skill or smarts to offset his obvious lack of desire to compete in the defensive end. These two guys paired together are an absolute mess. They should both be paired with more stable guys (Souray, Staios, Strudwick) to minimize the damage.

-Souray was solid and is so underrated around here it's ridiculous (by here I mean HF as a whole and not necessarily this board). His first pass has been a great surprise and he's earned every money of his first paycheque as far as I'm concerned. Lubo was just ok.

-Garon didn't bring it for the second night in a row. I'm not asking him to steal games but to make the big saves and he didn't really do that. There were a few goals we hung him out to dry on but he doesn't look the same as he did to start the season. I have to wonder who will start against Boston.

-I've been pleading for a while that Souray get time on the right point on the PP and apparently MacT heard me on our final powerplay tonight. In the 40 seconds or so that line was out there here is what happened:

-Souray one-timer gets tipped inches wide of the net by Horcoff or Penner (I forget)

-Hemsky finds Horcoff for an open one-timer in the middle of the slot because the high guy was worried about Souray's bomb and overcomitted.

-I can only hope it stays like that. If Lubo wants to be such a whiner and demand to play on the right side he can do that on the second unit. Come to think of it, that wouldn't be a bad idea because Gilbert-Grebs don't do much offensively from the blueline seeing as how neither one can shoot the puck. The downside would be we wouldn't have the two weapons from the blueline on the first unit.

-If tonight proved one thing it was this: split Gilbert and Grebs up no matter what.

Souray-Gilbert
Visnovsky-Smid/Strudwick
Staios-Grebeshkov

Every pairing has an outlet pass and a physical down-low presence. It's not rocket science that the two physically weakest defenders we have by a mile shouldn't play together at ES.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
I wish we could use 'he lost his confidence' excuse, but really, I've been calling him on his turn-overs pretty much every game. He needs to man-up.

Agreed with Staios, I thought he played well, and also with Vis, he does need to tighten up a bit.

Boston is gonna be a real tough one to win. They have a deadly mix of skill and physicality, it'll be a hard on to pull of if the boys bring this game again.
We will all be able to see Milan Lucic a draft pick that the Oilers should've had but actually traded that pick for Samsonov. The guy is one of the most solid hockey players in a while

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourOil View Post
well at least we have that cleared up.
Sour Oil...hmmm.