HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: GGG - 7th PGT of the year.. night of lame 7s

Old
10-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Lessy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I don't like Penner with the kids either.

Cole would be much better off there.
Amen to that. Cole's work ethic and relentless ability to take the puck to the net would really open up space for the kids. IMO Penner thrives more below the goal line where he uses his size as opposed to having any effect whatsoever on the other 90% of the ice save for the front of the net. His style opposes that of the kids whereas I think Cole's complements it perfectly.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
It won't even be close.
How can you say it won't even be close? So not only is it not possible that Edmonton will win this game, but it is also not possible that the game will even be close?

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:18 AM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
We have enough chemistry problems up front. Adding Gaborik doesn't do as much for this team as adding a versatile defenseman making between 4-5M.
I look at Colombus for that. If they continue to struggle, they'll need to re-tool for next year. They also need puck-movers. They have Hejda, Tyutin, Commodore and Klesla who fit the mold of D-man we need. All can play Top-4 minutes, all can play on the PK. Tyutin and Klesla are my favourites, but I doubt they deal either, Commodore they just signed, so I doubt it, I think if they falter, Hejda may be available. Isn't he on his last year of his deal aswell??

McOilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:19 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
How can you say it won't even be close? So not only is it not possible that Edmonton will win this game, but it is also not possible that the game will even be close?
Right.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
Well, Visnovsky gets paid 7 million to do the same thing as Souray. The problem with the PP is the first unit has no down low play, so the PKers can easily cover the points.
Except Visnovsky's shot, as good as it may be is not in the same area code as Souray's. When Souray gets a hold of one it beats goalies straight out from the blueline. Chara is the only other guy in the league capable of that kind of rifle. Lubo is a good puck distributor as well as having a solid shot himself. I wouldn't mind the umbrella format though proposed earlier in this thread.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Heist

So I guess I didn't miss much hey?

Heist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
Well, Visnovsky gets paid 7 million to do the same thing as Souray. The problem with the PP is the first unit has no down low play, so the PKers can easily cover the points.
Our PP hasn't had that consistently for about 10 years now. We saw glimpses of it last season, but it wasn't sustained.

It'd be interesting to find out who exactly coaches the PP on this team, actually.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
And yeah, our PK is far, far too passive right now.

This is what happens when Craig Simpson leaves the team. Seriously.
I thought you might be joking until I seen the seriously part.

Were we not 5th in the league last year without Craig Simpson? That is the highest we have finished in a long time as near as I can remember.

Gags looked okay when he was pressuring the PP of Vancouver in their own zone. But he looked kind of nervous and tentative to me in our zone on the PK. Just sort of standing there and not sure what he should do.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:
Right.
OK....

Old
10-26-2008, 12:21 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Except Visnovsky's shot, as good as it may be is not in the same area code as Souray's. When Souray gets a hold of one it beats goalies straight out from the blueline. Chara is the only other guy in the league capable of that kind of rifle. Lubo is a good puck distributor as well as having a solid shot himself. I wouldn't mind the umbrella format though proposed earlier in this thread.
I like the umbrella as well. If Horcoff would stop thinking he is the second coming of Brett Hull and hang out by the goalline/crease. It would open up the whole right side for Visnovsky to either find a seam for a one timer or sneak in back door.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:22 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
OK....
Brace yourself for a very ugly losing streak.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:22 AM
GRIZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Be a homer all you want. Hughson is and he's fine to listen to. The problem is Crawford sounds like nails on a chalkboard.
cheers

GRIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:23 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Our PP hasn't had that consistently for about 10 years now. We saw glimpses of it last season, but it wasn't sustained.

It'd be interesting to find out who exactly coaches the PP on this team, actually.
Gagner and Nilsson are our best down low passers. Unfortunately for us they both play on the same unit.

Old
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Thou View Post
I don't. In the regular season Boston owns us worse than Dallas does. When's the last time we beat them anyways?
This is silly.

We didn't even play Boston last year. We haven't played them for 21mths.

We hardly ever play them in case you haven't noticed.

You can't really extrapolate any probability based on past results when we've played said team once in the last 2 seasons can you?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GRIZZ

I Say We give the same forward lines another chance b4 we start to interview for another coach

GRIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Soundwave

I would take Gaborik. We haven't had a true offensive finisher since like Bill Guerin 10 years ago. We're closer to being a good offensive team than we are being a good defensive team anyway, adding one more solid d-man is not going to make us a top tier defensive squad.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:24 AM
deanmoriarty

This game wasn't that bad, some people need to chill. There were some flashes of good play. Some dumb mistakes and weak plays cost us the game. I thought Souray, Lubo, Hemmer, Staios and Cole played really well. Gilbert really wasn't horrible, cracked under pressure a few times but made some smart plays. Grebs looked like Garbagekov again.
This team will be fine. It's better to slump now than in March.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:25 AM
SourOil

Quote:
You obviously have some terrific ability to see into the future. so many things i would like to know .....

SourOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Oilerfan_55

Quote:
You think?? Or is this the bait I am supposed to take, and respond "OMGZ!!!111!!1 YOu are negatives and hatez the oilerz lol!!!", and then you can make a witty comment back....I don't post an awful lot, but it seems that is the way you like the game to be played...

Old
10-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I thought you might be joking until I seen the seriously part.

Were we not 5th in the league last year without Craig Simpson? That is the highest we have finished in a long time as near as I can remember.

Gags looked okay when he was pressuring the PP of Vancouver in their own zone. But he looked kind of nervous and tentative to me in our zone on the PK. Just sort of standing there and not sure what he should do.
All I know is that I'm seeing a completely revamped PK system out there than what the Oilers used to do, even compared to last year.

Simpson's influence could have worn out, or they may have gotten someone else to coach the PK with their own systems in place instead of whatever default they were using last year.

Old
10-26-2008, 12:26 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoognish View Post
This game wasn't that bad, some people need to chill. There were some flashes of good play. Some dumb mistakes and weak plays cost us the game. I thought Souray, Lubo, Hemmer, Staios and Cole played really well. Gilbert really wasn't horrible, cracked under pressure a few times but made some smart plays. Grebs looked like Garbagekov again.
This team will be fine. It's better to slump now than in March.
Our D is a bad blend right now. When Strudwick left the game he damn near took all of our D's physicality with him. It's time to break up Gilbert and Grebs. When they get stuck chasing the puck in their own end it looks like a gong show out there.

Old
10-26-2008, 12:27 AM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourOil View Post
Did anyone else think that the 'seventh man' ceremony at the start of the game was a little on the lame side? I mean ... wow.
Yeah wtf did that even mean? The people who planned that were probably crackheads picked out of East Hastings.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
All I know is that I'm seeing a completely revamped PK system out there than what the Oilers used to do, even compared to last year.

Simpson's influence could have worn out, or they may have gotten someone else to coach the PK with their own systems in place instead of whatever default they were using last year.
Maybe Buchberger? The Falcons PK was terrible in the AHL last year too. That is the only big change I can think of they made.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I would take Gaborik. We haven't had a true offensive finisher since like Bill Guerin 10 years ago. We're closer to being a good offensive team than we are being a good defensive team anyway, adding one more solid d-man is not going to make us a top tier defensive squad.
We're below average defensively right now. A solid d-man would make us average to above average. I'd take that with our above average offense.

Old
10-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Jesus

Quote:

maybe Bucky's influence...?

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote