HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Peter Puck Still Causing Trouble

Old
10-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Ghostbuster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
This is Alberta, Canada. Every single student in this province has access to first-rate education; the decisions they make in life, the circumstances surrounding their life, and the paths they choose are a seperate issue altogether.

If scholarship funds were the sole reason they were working hard towards an astronomically high average of 80%, then perhaps other ventures should have been explored.

Sorry, I didn't word myself the best, I meant to say what I bolded.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:50 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryJ99 View Post
Not everyone was born into good fortune and a good home life, I commend a kid in the inner city that can get grades over 80%. I respect you less and less every time you post PJO. He made a promise to a bunch of kids, none the less, who more than likely have been let down more than most their entire lives, so what is one more disappointment to them, right PJO!

Oh and while we are at it, lets make every employer that has been sued in this city a big deal, why not? I mean all of those instances deserve to be out in the open and public right, not to be swept under the rug.

PJO you must be a big Katz hater and Pocklington supporter
Pocklington did go bankrupt (or his busienesses did ) and he did get driven out of the city.

The article strikes me as more kicks at a dead cat.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 12:23 AM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
...And withholding scholarship money, right?
We don't know the full facts of this saga.

You also have to remain skeptical given the fact that none of the mentioned students pursued the lawsuit option.

Quote:
Do some research on the guy. The Gretzky trade sucked, but it wasn't immoral. Pocklington has done other immoral things. Look them up. And no, I won't link you. You never link anyone when you state something as a fact.
Other than post #19 in this thread.

Quote:
Lawsuits don't make you a bad person.
And such was never argued

Quote:
Lawsuits are a reality of doing business. Anyone who goes into business will have to deal with a lawsuit at some point. If Katz terminated someone and failed to pay wages, it is likely there was a dispute about whether it was termination for cause or not, in which case lost wages and severance must be paid.
On a broader scope, breaching a contract (which was proven in court) is wrong.

Quote:
Sure it does, for some people, especially inner city kids.
Not neccessarily.

Quote:
. I myself got an 80% average in grade 12 and it was really difficult for me. I wasn't, and I'm still not, good with numbers or filling in little circles in exam booklets. I have learned that I'm an excellent public speaker, I can lead and motivate people, and I'm very good working in groups and teams. These things aren't really stressed in high school and yet are valued very highly by employers in the real world.
Great. Tell this story to your grandchildren, as I simply do not care.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Ghostbuster

Quote:

You cared enough to reply...

Wonder how long this thread takes to get locked.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 12:29 AM
RKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
You cared enough to reply...

Wonder how long this thread takes to get locked.
Hopefully not for a while. We're so close to the Michael Jackson eating popcorn stage - we can't stop now!

10-27-2008, 01:22 AM
Alex87

Quote:
Up until this point, I didn't really have much of a problem with your disagreements. It was pretty good arguing. But then you go and post something like this. What is the reasoning behind it? You derail threads and make these forums a worse place for everyone when you're condescending to people you only know through a computer screen. You are actually going as far as saying that you "don't care" about my counter arguments or anecdotes when they provide a different opinion other than your own, even if they contribute to the discussion topic at hand. Since this is the case, why do you use forums at all? Do you think that forums exist on the internet for you, and you alone, to voice your opinion so that all the peons on the internet can be enlightened by your wisdom?

I wonder if you'd still be so mouthy if you couldn't hide behind the anonymity of the internet. I'd like you to make your condescending and arrogant remarks to my face.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Asher

Quote:
Peter Pocklington gave back plenty to the community; people just have blinders on because of the Gretzky trade.
People had it in for Pocklington long before the Gretzky trade, but maybe that's a little before your time. Since you like doing google searches so much, try doing one on Pocklington and Gainers.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:32 AM
DonovanMD

PunjabiOil just loves to be the center of attention and play devils advocate to the extreme.

DonovanMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanMD View Post
PunjabiOil just loves to be the center of attention and play devils advocate to the extreme.
I've opened two threads tonight and he's trainwrecked both of them. Unbelieveable.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:49 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

I wasn't, and I'm still not, good with numbers or filling in little circles in exam booklets.
You can't fill in those little circles in exam booklets...............

Out of curiosity, did someone hold the pencil for you when you voted - or was that one of the spoiled ballots.......

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:53 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

Lawsuits don't make you a bad person. Lawsuits are a reality of doing business. Anyone who goes into business will have to deal with a lawsuit at some point.

If Katz terminated someone and failed to pay wages, it is likely there was a dispute about whether it was termination for cause or not, in which case lost wages and severance must be paid.
Katz was told by his corporate counsel that the path he was following was illegal - Katz ignored that legal advice & ended up in court where he got his butt kicked...

So yes, in that situation he was a very bad person...........

Old
10-27-2008, 06:04 AM
slapshot™

This discussion has nothing to do with Katz or any other wrong-doing by any other businessman other than Peter Puck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton Journal
Back in 1997, Grade 9 student Boe Lefebvre received a handshake and a certificate from then Edmonton Oilers owner Peter Pocklington after attaining an 80-per-cent average at his inner-city school.

The honour was more than ceremonial. Pocklington also made a promise to Lefebvre that day -- along with all his classmates who achieved an 80 -- that he would provide them with a scholarship when it was time to attend college or university.

More than a decade later, Lefebvre says he has yet to receive any money from Pocklington despite several attempts to collect.
Obviously there was some merit to the promise as Pucklington was willing to substitute cold hard cash for stock in a company he owned. Simply put, he reneged on his promise.

Take some time to put yourself in Levebvre's shoes for a moment. A grade 9 student at an inner city school being awarded for his scholarly efforts by none other than the owner of the Edmonton Oilers. On top of that, he was promised that if he continued to stay on top of his school work and achieve a minimum of 80% he would have his tuition paid for.

An impressionable young man with goals for the future and an opportunity for help in achieving those goals only to have the other person not fulfill their end of the bargin? Yeah, I'd be more than a tad upset if I was Levebre.

Here you go young fella...but don't call me when you actually need the money or I'll be forced to release the hounds.

slapshot™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 05:36 PM
HuMz

vCash: 50
Quote:
From the same article:

Glen sather on Peter Pocklington:

http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/Edmo...s/articles.htm

Yup, what a *******, dirtbag, [insert insult here], etc.

People have made up their minds on Pocklington, as has this article which could very well be omitting key information. It would be hard convincing anyone to side with Peter Puck, based on the fact that he sold #99.

If it were Daryl Katz or Cal Nichols involved in such a sage, I don't believe the same vehement discourse would arise.

Carry on.

So once again, the fact of the matter is he still went back on his word and thats more then enough reason for people too hate him. You can go off all you want about what he has or hasn't done but its completely unlrelated too this incident where hes been giving this kid the run around.

Its pretty clear the only reason you aruge with people is to be the centre of attention.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 06:05 PM
foshizzle

Quote:
Peter Pocklington gave back plenty to the community; people just have blinders on because of the Gretzky trade.
Gainers workers and family say Hi.
Also, the Stanley Cup engraver gives you the finger.

Also, please post a link about Katz is lawsuit.

And you forgot Katz' 30 million donation to the U of A- I also believe he built a study hall on campus for students. Maybe things like that are why this alleged lawsuit are non headline news.

foshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle View Post

Also, please post a link about Katz is lawsuit.

And you forgot Katz' 30 million donation to the U of A- I also believe he built a study hall on campus for students. Maybe things like that are why this alleged lawsuit are non headline news.
First of all, Katz never, ever gave a $30 million donation to the University of Alberta..... His corporation paid for naming rights - it was a business / marketing decision...

And the amount paid was not even close to $30 million...

As far as the lawsuit goes, you do not want me to go searching for (then bump up) the topic thread - seriously...........

Old
10-27-2008, 06:16 PM
foshizzle

Quote:
From the same article:

Glen sather on Peter Pocklington:

http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/Edmo...s/articles.htm

Yup, what a *******, dirtbag, [insert insult here], etc.

People have made up their minds on Pocklington, as has this article which could very well be omitting key information. It would be hard convincing anyone to side with Peter Puck, based on the fact that he sold #99.

If it were Daryl Katz or Cal Nichols involved in such a sage, I don't believe the same vehement discourse would arise.

Carry on.
Also, if you were around when Pocklington owned the Oilers- you would know that people didn't start hateing on Pocklington because of the trade (that didn't help), he was hated well before that. In fact, people in our city didn't support the Oilers on the sole basis that Pocklington was the owner.

This is an aside from the topic at hand- I know PJO you like to talk a big game based on what you read on google or the theory you read in school, but take this as advice, you're going to struggle in the real world. You may recieve great marks in school right now, but that means jack sh$t in the real world. It'll help get your foot in the door- but your arrogance and know-it-all matter of speaking will be your downfall. You can spew all the facts that you want- but if a client, subordinate, CEO doesn't like- you're screwed. By the way you post here, I can tell your interpersonal skills are very limited. Of course, you won't take any of this advice because you think you know better- and yes, I have a higher level of education than you do, and I have been in the game alot longer than you.

Old
10-27-2008, 06:20 PM
foshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
First of all, Katz never, ever gave a $30 million donation to the University of Alberta..... His corporation paid for naming rights - it was a business / marketing decision...

And the amount paid was not even close to $30 million...

As far as the lawsuit goes, you do not want me to go searching for (then bump up) the topic thread - seriously...........
Sorry Real Estate Agent, what the heck are you talking about? Naming rights to what? Daryl Katz and the provincial gov't worked together to gift the U of A about 30 mil- that number could be slightly off though. He has also saved the Indy race here and is involved in far more facets of the community than Pocklington ever was- and all unconditional. Yes, please post the link to the lawsuit

Old
10-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

Sorry Real Estate Agent, what the heck are you talking about? Naming rights to what? Daryl Katz and the provincial gov't worked together to gift the U of A about 30 mil- that number could be slightly off though.
Quote:

To acknowledge the significant donation, the University will officially name the health sciences building, now under construction at the corner of 87th Avenue and 114th Street, The Katz Group-Rexall Centre for Pharmacy and Health Research.

http://www.expressnews.ualberta.ca/n...es.cfm?id=7926

Quote:

please post the link to the lawsuit
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=532332&page=2

Old
10-27-2008, 06:50 PM
MerryJ99

Quote:
To acknowledge the significant donation, the University will officially name the health sciences building, now under construction at the corner of 87th Avenue and 114th Street, The Katz Group-Rexall Centre for Pharmacy and Health Research.

It was a Donation it may not have been 30 million but 25 million is pretty close. Katz has done a lot more for this city then Pocklington ever did. Without Donations like the one that the Katz group gave this facility may not have been built. He helped Build the facility, helped create jobs through his Generosity as well.

And again who really cares about the lawsuit that Katz was involved in, this thread is about how much of an Ass Peter Puck is for letting these kids down, that is it. Comparing Puck to Katz is like comparing Apples to Oranges. Pocklington made a promise to a bunch of Kids, kids that I am sure were let down many times, this just takes the cake though. Do they have a right to be mad...Damn rights they do!

MerryJ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:

It was a Donation it may not have been 30 million but 25 million is pretty close.
Yes, $25 million is reasonably close to $30 million - too bad Katz never gave a $25 million donation........

Quote:
October 06, 2006 -

The Katz Group-Rexall Centre for Pharmacy and Health Research to open in 2008

EDMONTON - Canada's largest drug store chain of companies, Edmonton-based Katz Group, and the Provincial Government today announced they are each contributing $7 million to the University of Alberta.

And it was only a donation in the same way I give a donation to the liquor store when I buy a case of beer..... Money given gets me a product...

Skyreach Equipment paid for naming rights to Northlands Coliseum followed by Rexall Place...

Quote:
At various times, many cities in Canada have mused about selling naming rights for such civic facilities as parks, gardens, public squares, skating rinks, and art galleries. They say they need the money to pay for expensive improvements, renovations, or ongoing maintenance. Meanwhile, non-profit organizations say they are being starved for cash as governments cut back funding.

Supporter of such deals call them "win-win" propositions — the company gets valuable branding and advertising exposure while the group getting the cash can run their facilities without having to raise admission fees or taxes.

<clip>

You won't find any city hall buildings named after Tim Hortons or Nortel or Royal Bank. You won't see hospitals or universities or museums given corporate names, even though corporations often give huge cash or in-kind donations to these facilities.

And that brings up a key distinction between philanthropy and corporate naming rights: A company makes a donation in the interest of being a good corporate citizen. Buying naming rights for a building is done strictly as a business investment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/marketing/

Old
10-27-2008, 07:22 PM
PunjabiOil*

Quote:
It was a Donation it may not have been 30 million but 25 million is pretty close. Katz has done a lot more for this city then Pocklington ever did. Without Donations like the one that the Katz group gave this facility may not have been built. He helped Build the facility, helped create jobs through his Generosity as well.
I'm sure Katz gives back to the community; however, you're ignoring that Pocklington was also very generous.

Old
10-27-2008, 07:24 PM
PunjabiOil*

...and on a related note, I wish to apologize to HF boards members for the wealth of rude posts over the past month. Sitting behind a computer for 12-14 hours a day can do that.

Old
10-27-2008, 10:55 PM
nye

Quote:
...and on a related note, I wish to apologize to HF boards members for the wealth of rude posts over the past month. Sitting behind a computer for 12-14 hours a day can do that.
Wow. OK.

Takes heart to do that. I'll tip my hat to you.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Quote:
This is Alberta, Canada. Every single student in this province has access to first-rate education; the decisions they make in life, the circumstances surrounding their life, and the paths they choose are a seperate issue altogether.

If scholarship funds were the sole reason they were working hard towards an astronomically high average of 80%, then perhaps other ventures should have been explored.

I think I just figured out why so may people find your posts annoying.

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote