HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts On John Tortorella?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-26-2008, 03:54 PM
  #1
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,881
vCash: 500
Thoughts On John Tortorella?

Well he's available, he's a Stanley Cup winning coach, and aside from last season he was pretty good in Tampa despite the front office giving him crap in net since the lockout and being hamstrung by a cheap ownership group.

He's a lot more firey than Mac T and also has a proven track record working with offensive oriented squads.

Also he has helped guys like Lecavalier and St. Louis and Richards really develop into offensive dynamos. I think he could finally light a fire under Hemsky's butt and not let him settle for passive play. He also made the playoffs 4 out of his 6 seasons in Tampa and that team was not very good when he got there.

Something to perhaps consider.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 03:57 PM
  #2
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,011
vCash: 500
Mike Keenan lite IMHO.

But I loved it when he jumped over all those cars with his motorcycle!

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 03:59 PM
  #3
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Mike Keenan lite IMHO.

But I loved it when he jumped over all those cars with his motorcycle!
He does have a temper, yeah, but I don't mind some fire behind the bench.

Guys like Hemsky and Penner need to be kicked in the ass now and again.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:01 PM
  #4
FiveFourteenSixOne
5-14-6-1
 
FiveFourteenSixOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,268
vCash: 500
He's honestly #1 on my list if MacT gets canned.

FiveFourteenSixOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:04 PM
  #5
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,881
vCash: 500
Also Torts is used to having offensive d-men, he got a lot out of Boyle and Kubina for instance, I think he could work well with Vish/Gilbert/Souray/Grebs.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:05 PM
  #6
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,068
vCash: 500
Tortorella makes his players accountable and with reason too. Sure he calls them out in public but hey, if the players do their job, they wouldn't be in that situation in the first place.

MacT is too damn passive.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:08 PM
  #7
Andrew B
Registered User
 
Andrew B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Albert
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
Tortorella has shown an ability to guide young men.

I don't quite think its time to think about canning MacT. Keep in mind that the defense is learning a completely new system with 2 new D men (Vis & for all intents and purposes Souray).

If 30 Games into the season we aren't atleast .500 then can him.

At least Torts is good for a quote.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:09 PM
  #8
Krut
Registered User
 
Krut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,097
vCash: 500
I like Torts, but he doesn't know how to handle goaltenders, which would be an issue because of our uncertainty in that position after this season.

Krut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:09 PM
  #9
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
Tortorella has shown an ability to guide young men.

I don't quite think its time to think about canning MacT. Keep in mind that the defense is learning a completely new system with 2 new D men (Vis & for all intents and purposes Souray).

If 30 Games into the season we aren't atleast .500 then can him.

At least Torts is good for a quote.

This is one thing that really scares me about Mac T -- I fear that Hemsky's game has basically hit a plateau under Mac T cause Mac T really doesn't know how to do anything else with him.

Whereas we all saw what Torts did with kids like Lecavalier and Richards and St. Louis and Boyle.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:10 PM
  #10
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
He does have a temper, yeah, but I don't mind some fire behind the bench.

Guys like Hemsky and Penner need to be kicked in the ass now and again.
One of the few observations that M. Stauffer likes to make that I agree on: that type of coaching doesn't work anymore. Keenan is a dinosaur. JT got lucky early in his coaching career when all the pieces fell into place at once and won a Cup (just like Keenan), but likely will never enjoy that kind of success again.

Play the hell of Vinny and Marty, yell at everyone else; play the hell out of Jarome and Dion, yell at everyone else. Keenan and JT are 2 sides of the same coin. I say no thanks to either of them.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:14 PM
  #11
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
One of the few observations that M. Stauffer likes to make that I agree on: that type of coaching doesn't work anymore. Keenan is a dinosaur. JT got lucky early in his coaching career when all the pieces fell into place at once and won a Cup (just like Keenan), but likely will never enjoy that kind of success again.

Play the hell of Vinny and Marty, yell at everyone else; play the hell out of Jarome and Dion, yell at everyone else. Keenan and JT are 2 sides of the same coin. I say no thanks to either of them.
Difference between Torts and Keenan though is Torts actually knows how to coach an offensive-oriented squad. Which I don't think Mac T really understands either.

The club that Mac T would thrive under is the 2006 Oilers ... but we're not that team anymore.

Tortorella probably could've taken the Lightning to the 2nd/3rd round if not beyond if management wasn't so cheap and had got him a good goalie post lock out.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:39 PM
  #12
Tarus
#Craigsnotonit
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,484
vCash: 500
Heard the Tbay players threw a party when Torts was fired, might be a bit hard on the young team we have.

Tbay also almost traded Vincent Lecavalier earlier in his career due to difficulties between coach/player, which would have been a disaster. Not something I would want to see happen with all our young players like Gags, Cogs etc.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:41 PM
  #13
Vagabond
Registered User
 
Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,537
vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
I'd kill to see Torts behind the Oilers bench.

I always liked Torts and his sometimes hot temper. He doesnt pick Favorites and seems to light fire where the kindle is damp. Holds players accountable and knows how to work with and situate talent.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:44 PM
  #14
hfboardsuser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12,281
vCash: 500
Torts would be fine by me, but Savard is my #1. Kane's reaction to his firing shows the guys knows how to bond and get the best out of his young players. Had he been given more time, there's no doubt in my mind he eventually coaches a Western Finals team.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:51 PM
  #15
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,881
vCash: 500
Yeah Savard certainly had the Blackhawks playing well. I wonder what happened there behind the scenes.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:54 PM
  #16
Harrison
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,828
vCash: 500
I don't think anything happened behind the scenes in Chicago. When they brought Quenneville in they already had there minds made up.

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:55 PM
  #17
*M*J*D*
Registered User
 
*M*J*D*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Regina, Sask, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,445
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to *M*J*D*
I thought Savard would be a welcome addition. Now here is a guy that actually does work well with young players, as opposed to MacT and his doesn't get the most out of anybody, veteran or youngin'. He might be in my top couple if the decision was going down today.

*M*J*D* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:58 PM
  #18
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Difference between Torts and Keenan though is Torts actually knows how to coach an offensive-oriented squad. Which I don't think Mac T really understands either.

The club that Mac T would thrive under is the 2006 Oilers ... but we're not that team anymore.

Tortorella probably could've taken the Lightning to the 2nd/3rd round if not beyond if management wasn't so cheap and had got him a good goalie post lock out.
And Iggy scored 50 goals last year. Is that because Keenan knows how to coach offense? I doubt it. Same holds true for Vinny and Co. making JT look good.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 05:00 PM
  #19
Tommy35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
He does have a temper, yeah, but I don't mind some fire behind the bench.
Guys like Hemsky and Penner need to be kicked in the ass now and again.
Bingo. Got to be his Italian blood I wouldn't mind Torts at all.

Tommy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 05:04 PM
  #20
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
And Iggy scored 50 goals last year. Is that because Keenan knows how to coach offense? I doubt it. Same holds true for Vinny and Co. making JT look good.
That's different, Lecav, St. Louis, Boyle, and Richards developed tremendously under Tortorella.

Though I agree his initial problems with Lecavalier are a bit of a red flag.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 05:39 PM
  #21
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
And Iggy scored 50 goals last year. Is that because Keenan knows how to coach offense? I doubt it. Same holds true for Vinny and Co. making JT look good.
Iggy got 50 because a) his team literally gave the puck to him everytime, b) he hangs around the redline waiting for breakout [I'll get flamed for this but meh], c) and he plays every single shift, 20+ minutes a night-obviously getting much more opp compared with our "star" Hemsky.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 05:41 PM
  #22
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 27,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Iggy got 50 because a) his team literally gave the puck to him everytime, b) he hangs around the redline waiting for breakout [I'll get flamed for this but meh], c) and he plays every single shift, 20+ minutes a night-obviously getting much more opp compared with our "star" Hemsky.
He got 50 also because he's one of the best snipers in the NHL. That might have something to do with it. Hemsky will never get 50, you could play him 30+ minutes a night.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 05:46 PM
  #23
hfboardsuser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12,281
vCash: 500
Since Tambo is the guy in charge now, a possible replacement could easily be someone he knows well and thus recommends.

Manitoba Moose head coach Scott Arniel fits the bill. He's won 45 games in his first two seasons behind the bench in the A. He also has three years of NHL assistant coaching experience under his belt while with the Sabres. During his tenure, the Sabres went from 72 to 85 to 110 points. Even if he wasn't directly responsible, he would have learned a lot from Lindy Ruff- a guy that has a lot of fans around here.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 05:52 PM
  #24
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Since Tambo is the guy in charge now, a possible replacement could easily be someone he knows well and thus recommends.

Manitoba Moose head coach Scott Arniel fits the bill. He's won 45 games in his first two seasons behind the bench in the A. He also has three years of NHL assistant coaching experience under his belt while with the Sabres. During his tenure, the Sabres went from 72 to 85 to 110 points. Even if he wasn't directly responsible, he would have learned a lot from Lindy Ruff- a guy that has a lot of fans around here.
Was that combined or per season? Because 45/2 is like a 22-23 win season which is terrible

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 05:53 PM
  #25
Matador
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Was that combined or per season? Because 45/2 is like a 22-23 win season which is terrible
45 the first season, 46 the next.

Just doing a quick google on the guy. He seems to know his stuff, and some people on the Vancouver board are very high on him. He still thinks he has a lot to learn, which is a good quality in my opinion. He has also worked with Carlyle.


Last edited by Matador: 10-26-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.