Notices

Sheppard

Old
10-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Generational Talent

vCash: 500
Sheppard

Hi there!
What's happening with James Sheppard? I saw him play against Mtl in a pre-season game and I thought he was good, but he still has 0 point in 6 games ... Can you guys explain me what's the problem with him? Thanks

Generational Talent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 07:21 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

He still looks pretty darn tenative out there.

Much the same as he did last season. It is pretty disappointing because you would like to see a little progression. At times you can see a glimpse, but that's about it right now. Doesn't help that he is a center playing in Lemaire's system, though. Let alone who he is playing with.

I think if he could skate with some linemates who can move the puck, as well as finish a little, he would be much more effective. But the Wild just do not have that kind of depth right now. Esspecially with Marian out.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Wild Thing

It's just 7 games, he'll be fine. He's playing well, his chances just aren't going in. He was on the ice for most of the last 45 seconds of last night's 1-goal game, so that tells you something about how LeMaire thinks he's doing.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 06:20 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
  • He’s not quick enough and doesn’t possess the big shot …. so he’s not a goal scorer
  • He’s not a guy with superior hockey sense or passing ability …. so he’s not a playmaker
  • He’s not all that aggressive out there … so he’s not a checker
All I can say about him is that he seems to be kid with good character and work ethic. .. But, if DR wants to package him in trade this year then I say go for it … the kid is pretty close to his potential right now.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:55 AM
blueliner
Tough Building

Sounds like you're describing a Handzus clone...is that Sheppard's ceiling in your estimation?

blueliner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:49 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
the kid is pretty close to his potential right now.
I'd say that of all the Wild players, Sheppard is probably the farthest from his potential. He's not even close to what he will be once he matures. You can take that to the bank.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:56 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I'd say that of all the Wild players, Sheppard is probably the farthest from his potential. He's not even close to what he will be once he matures. You can take that to the bank.
Kid shows tremendous upside to me. Maybe I've got the harvest gold colored glasses on too much. He's going to make things happen.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Its only the kids 2nd season and he is only 20 years old. Fans are just expecting too much from him (even though he was placed in a pressuring position for the 2nd line spot quite early)

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:31 PM
GhettoLenin

This is the MO for all recent Wild prospects. They dont seem to be productive for a couple of years. Look at Burns, Bouchard, Koivu, etc.

He is getting ice time and experience, the points will come...

GhettoLenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 04:34 PM
Jbcraig1883

I agree with the majority here...he is showing strong hockey sense (minus the giveaway to Nash) and good puck skills along the boards. He lacks confidence. Also, which is my own personal opinion, he doesn't seem to be moving his feet much. It appears that he takes a few quick steps and then coasts from there. He will be a good player in due time...we just need to be patient.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 05:38 PM
bort

i thought his last two games were, by far, the best he has played all season. he had chances, looked aggressive/comfortable and was strong defensively (minus the nash play). i think he will get one tonight.

bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Veela

Is he strong mentally in your opinion ? He was tabbed to be No.1 center. I remember all the coverage he got before the season, even in big media like TSN or nhl.com....One thinks it must be dragging on him to have a quality icetime almost every game and have just 2 points so far.

Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Jbcraig1883

My opinion is based on watching him play and also reading his quotes in our local newspapers...

I think he is just having a sophomore slump. I know he didn't tear it up by any means last year but our rookies never do. I don't think he is mentally weak; I think that once he gets a goal or two, we will see more and more of the Sheppard that will be around in a few years. His work along the boards and defense work in his zone is identical to Koivu of two years ago. Once again, I still think he isn't moving his feet enough in the offensive zone but what do I know...

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:52 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
He had a really strong game last night against Washington. Scoring his first goal since January might pump some life into him. Obviously, Lemaire has a lot of confidence in him. But, I'm wondering if he is being over-coached in the sense that it looks like he's too afraid to make a mistake.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote