HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Gazette on the ropes

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Montreal Gazette on the ropes

and end of a era ? would be a sad day to see it go but it seems it very possible.

The Gazette extensively covers the Habs

http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/...ens/index.html

http://www.habsinsideout.com/

Last edited by CareyPrice x 31: 10-27-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old
10-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Phil Parent
HALL PASS BRAH!!

I'll support this.

Old
10-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

My brother Dave Sidaway is a photographer for the Gazette and we have all enjoyed his photos so please take a moment to sign the petition.

Old
10-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

First the Star, then the Gazette? The immediate cause is economics but the root cause started years ago with the exodus of anglophones from Montréal after passage of the language laws. Think of all the brainpower that might have helped the local economy but instead relocated to Ontario and elsewhere!

http://communities.canada.com/MONTREALGAZETTE/forums/thread/20712.aspx

On the surface at least it makes Québec look like one of the small states spun off from the former Soviet Union or the African continent.

Old
10-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Namso

it has nothing to do with english/french. All newspapers are losing customers. With the internet, you can get faster, better coverage for free, and you can get a wide variety of opinions. People just dont read the newspaper anymore. Its too expensive to make newspapers and deliver them, etc.

Expect 1-2 French newspapers to end as well soon.

Old
10-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Just signed.

Old
10-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
I saw the protesting a week, or two ago.

Old
10-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
If the Gazette was struggling financially, I could understand and would not support. If I read it correctly this is purely to increase profits by centralizing everything, all the while diminishing the quality of content since the editorials and articles will not be for or from Montrealers. It's too bad I guess, but it might also give the opportunity to a competitor for give a better english product, if there's a market for it.

Old
10-25-2008, 04:05 PM
rumple03

power to the people

If people would only realize that they have the power. Too many people will complain about something like this, but still buy the paper anyway when it hits the stand. Instead of whining and supporting the newspaper that is trying to move everything out of province, whine and complain but do something about it, and don't buy the paper. I guarantee the company would rethink their strategy if everyone in the province stopped buying their paper. A petition means squat to shareholders, only thing that matters to them is bottom line profits. The entire province of quebec could sign the petition but it won't change a thing.

Old
10-25-2008, 05:02 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Worst part is this could mean the end of Red Fisher.

Old
10-25-2008, 05:13 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

The Gazette is a piece of trash. Not hockey wise, but news wise (especially world news and middle east). Any news paper that has it's editorial imposed (as all other Canwest papers) smells of propaganda.

It's been trash for years and now it's going all the way to the gutters

Old
10-25-2008, 05:17 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Outsourcing to another province is pretty bad. But it could be worse. The largest corporation in NB owns every single newspaper in the province. Just sayin.

Old
10-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumple03 View Post
If people would only realize that they have the power. Too many people will complain about something like this, but still buy the paper anyway when it hits the stand. Instead of whining and supporting the newspaper that is trying to move everything out of province, whine and complain but do something about it, and don't buy the paper. I guarantee the company would rethink their strategy if everyone in the province stopped buying their paper. A petition means squat to shareholders, only thing that matters to them is bottom line profits. The entire province of quebec could sign the petition but it won't change a thing.
You're right, and this can be applied to many things in the world that need changing -- if not for the complacency of your average person

Old
10-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Haddock

I dislike The Gazette almost as much as I hate The Suburban, but I don't see this as a good thing. A free local press, even a paranoid one with an outrageous ghetto mentality, is very important in our society. Media conglomerates are not doing any good when they centralize opinions à la CanWest, SunMedia, PowerCorporation/Gesca.
I'll sign.

Old
10-25-2008, 10:53 PM
QcS

good riddance!

the history of the Gazette is filled with racism, i'm not going to shed 1 tear.

Last edited by QcS: 10-25-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old
10-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcS View Post
good riddance!

the history of the Gazette is filled with racism, i'm not going to shed 1 tear.
what

Old
10-26-2008, 12:19 AM
NewBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
The Gazette is a piece of trash. Not hockey wise, but news wise (especially world news and middle east). Any news paper that has it's editorial imposed (as all other Canwest papers) smells of propaganda.

+1

This newspaper has always taken every chance it could to bash French Canadians. I couldn't care less if it was to stop being published.

Old
10-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
+1

This newspaper has always taken every chance it could to bash French Canadians. I couldn't care less if it was to stop being published.
Them bashing French Canadians must really be an outside cause for you if you are German. If you're not from there or of German descent, WTF is the flag doing in your signature? Just honestly making sure you hate bias against French-Canadian because you are or because you just hate xenophobia of any kind. Of course, you could be German-French Canadian for all I know. If so, I apologize Monsieur Klaus Von St. Georges!

Old
10-26-2008, 03:19 AM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Them bashing French Canadians must really be an outside cause for you if you are German. If you're not from there or of German descent, WTF is the flag doing in your signature? Just honestly making sure you hate bias against French-Canadian because you are or because you just hate xenophobia of any kind. Of course, you could be German-French Canadian for all I know. If so, I apologize Monsieur Klaus Von St. Georges!
LOL i enjoyed this dandy

Old
10-26-2008, 07:06 AM
dcyhabs

seconded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
I dislike The Gazette almost as much as I hate The Suburban, but I don't see this as a good thing. A free local press, even a paranoid one with an outrageous ghetto mentality, is very important in our society. Media conglomerates are not doing any good when they centralize opinions à la CanWest, SunMedia, PowerCorporation/Gesca.
I'll sign.
And those companies want: gifts to the rich, no medicare (and they get the tax breaks, not the people who will start paying for health care that corporations don't think they need), more jails, less sanity.

It is bad enough Canwest bought the Gazette and removed Quebecois viewpoints from the op-eds to give us the Albertan lack of perspective (even on sports); if they go further there will be literally no difference between Fox News or the National Post.

Old
10-26-2008, 07:08 AM
dcyhabs

Quote:

Remember when all the people with integrity left because Canwest would not let them write anything that was not far-right nut-jobbery?

Old
10-26-2008, 08:36 AM
usernam

Quote:

I fully agree.

Old
10-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Garry Valk

I'm confused, what is going on?

Old
10-26-2008, 08:45 AM
justsomeguy

I'd miss Dave Stubbs' scribblings but figure he'd probably not be out of work for all of that long.

Old
10-26-2008, 11:59 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Outsourcing to another province is pretty bad. But it could be worse. The largest corporation in NB owns every single newspaper in the province. Just sayin.
Same here in Vancouver. You go near the waterfront where the newspaper's offices are located you see a strange site. On one side of the building is a The Province sign while the other side has a The Vancouver Sun sign. Therefore, we get a multitude of viewpoints with regards to our news .

Closed Thread