HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #12 - 10.27.08 | NY Rangers @ NY Islanders | 7:00 PM - MSG(HD)

Old
10-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Unk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
I will say this: You guys, IMO, are going to flirt on that edge of serious contenders and/or a solid NHL team until Zherdev finds his way, permanently.

He is super talented, but he suffers from the Alexei Yashin syndrome way too often out there. Lazy one shift, not lazy the second. If he could just harness his talent and play within his confines, you guys would have a potential 40 goal, 50 assist type player.

Until than, you guys will remain a tremendous team without perhaps a true identified scoring threat. A real opportunity for Zherdev is open on the NYR and should he rise to the occasion I think the NYR's are the team to beat in the east.

Just keeping it real.
Fair enough, but IIRC that might've been Zherdev's worst game of the season with the turnovers and what not. He hasn't really been playing this slopilly too often, so I'm not concerned, yet. Hopefully he won't have too many nights like tonight anymore, and maybe someone like Drury will help make him mature.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Karan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBatesSBergenheim View Post
Good game, a lot closer than I thought it would have been.

That hit on Hillen was totally clean, looked like Hillen lost and edge and was falling down anyway. Having said that, I'm glad Guerin went after Voros,Isles get pushed around too easy and the captain was sending a message. Not so much to the Rangers but to the guys sitting on the Isles bench.

Oh yea, I'm jealous of your defense....
That you Kristi?

Karan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 10:53 PM
crisb

Just got back. Great game. Good showing by all ranger fans. Tons of fights in the stands.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Black Tank

I'm surprised at the negativity in some of the posts. This was the biggest game of the year for the Isles and their work ethic is beyond reproach. As a result, the Rangers were caught back on their heels quite a bit and Lundquist had to put in a stellar performance to get us the win.

I don't think the next few games are going to be any easier, there is too much parity in the league and the teams that are light on talent more than make up for it with determination.

So, I'll gladly take the 2 points and move on.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Best part is, our next four games aren't against very strong opponents. It is not unrealistic to think that we can win 3 or even all of those games
Yeap, also the November schedule is really easy in comparison to October. No back to backs, no tough stretches or road trips, plus none of the opponents really worry me besides maybe Boston.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Rangerfan4life90

This game reminded me why I wanted Streit over Redden

While Redden definately hasn't played bad and if he keeps this up he'll be worth the contract Streit is the guy I personally wanted. This guy is lethal on the PP and is a threat shorthanded also. Plus he was a cheaper alternative to Redden

Thoughts?

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Couldn't disagree more. Streit has the entire league fooled if people actually think he's a dangerous two-way defenseman.

He's not even in the same stratosphere as Redden.

Old
10-27-2008, 11:04 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

NHL.com has Prucha with 54 seconds of PP time, but Orr and Betts with zero? Prucha was on the ice for 10 seconds of the PP while Orr & Betts got about 45 seconds.

I don't understand why with a 4-1 lead, that Renney didn't put Prucha on for that last minute of the PP to try to get him going. Instead he put on the 4th line.

I love Renney, but sometimes his decisions dumbfound me.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Shake and Bake

why did Gordon wait until 8 sec left to pull the goalie? he could have done it 40 sec earlier when they had the puck in nyr zone

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:06 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Redden hasn't yet turned in on Offensively, but he hasn't done bad at all defensively. One can hope that he turns it on at some point, but as of now I don't really have any complaints. Apparently Redden is hurt too. Has tendinitis in his elbow which I would imagine would effect his shot among other things.

Old
NYR Viper

streit is horrible.....defensviely he is not even in the same league and offensively he is a forward disguised as a defenseman

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AK2794

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
NHL.com has Prucha with 54 seconds of PP time, but Orr and Betts with zero? Prucha was on the ice for 10 seconds of the PP while Orr & Betts got about 45 seconds.

I don't understand why with a 4-1 lead, that Renney didn't put Prucha on for that last minute of the PP to try to get him going. Instead he put on the 4th line.

I love Renney, but sometimes his decisions dumbfound me.
I was thinking the exact same thing. It's more important to get Prucha a goal to hopefully jump start his offense, than it is for guys like Betts and Orr.

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:08 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
why did Gordon wait until 8 sec left to pull the goalie? he could have done it 40 sec earlier when they had the puck in nyr zone
They were trying to pull the goalie, but he wasn't paying attention

Old
10-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Rangerfan4life90

I know at one time he was gonna be coverted to forward because of his D but still u cant deny he has offensive talent in him and under renney i'm sure he coulda improved his D at least a little

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Sports Archaeologist

I have a feeling that Colton Orr is going to score a Dale Purinton-like goal this season where we all just LOL a lot at some ridonkulous toedrag to top-corner snipe.

Sports Archaeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:10 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
I know at one time he was gonna be coverted to forward because of his D but still u cant deny he has offensive talent in him and under renney i'm sure he coulda improved his D at least a little
he got paid like a defenseman and most of his points came when he was playing forward for montreal.....thats the problem i have with streit....at 2 million i would say...okay.....but not at 4+

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:11 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
I thought I saw that as well. I though McDonald played pretty well tonight but he refused to ever look over to the bench. Even on delayed penalties he refused to skate over.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Hahahah...really? I was at the game, so I couldnt see that

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
he got paid like a defenseman and most of his points came when he was playing forward for montreal.....thats the problem i have with streit....at 2 million i would say...okay.....but not at 4+
Not really. he did play forward the majority of the season, however over half (34 of his 62 points) came on the powerplay, which he played the point. He's useful in that role, but he's not a reliable defenseman at all.

He got paid for his points.. and Montreal probably would've given him the same money, however he wanted to play D full time, and the Isles are giving him that opportunity.

Old
10-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Caught a cool frame at the game

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

PS which of you were in 314 ?? Nice jeering.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:20 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Atlanta--I'm expecting a good game from both sides
Toronto--Let's hope we can finally pot a goal in regulation
NYI--I expect same type of game as tonight
Tampa--There a disgrace this year
They're bound to lay an egg somewhere in those 4. My guess is it will be against Toronto but we'll win the other 3 cleanly.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:32 PM
NYROrtsFan

Not even close.

Redden has done a very good job with the Rangers. Makes excellent choices that break up plays although they are sometimes difficult to notice. Also is usually good with the puck.

Redden has been very good.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:42 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Rafalski, Stevens, Niedermayer etc... the list of great defencemen that marty had in front of him, PLUS the system that the Devils play would really limit the shots/chances... there is truth to what you say, but you can't play every game having to ask your goalie to stand on his head (pittsburgh game!)
We all know who played in front of him but our system limits shots on goal as well. He'll be fine.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:44 PM
n_a_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
No clue. It seems that Renney had a little fit after Dubinsky took those penalties. Hes leading the team in points, playing his heart out and thats what you do to him? Zherdev took lazier and worse penalties and did Renney sit him? Nope.
I agree, and I'm dumbfounded. Renney is big on respecting the players. Dubinsky has a bad start after being one of the best, if not the very best player over the past 60 games dating to last year. And for the bad start he gets benched? I totally disagree with that decision. Don't mean to overreact - obviously it was just a period. But just puts a bad taste in my mouth.

That being said, it doesn't matter what I think about it - it matters what Dubinsky thinks. His second and third periods tonight were okay. I'm curious how he rebounds in the next few games.

Next topic - Renney is back to chosing linemates out of a hat every game. Will you just let the guys play for more than a game together! Hard to complain since they've been winning. But still.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote