HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do you want to play rd.1?

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Smith31

vCash: 500
Who do you want to play rd.1?

Maybe a little premature, but after last night's huge win ,and a couple against Pitt its time to look towards the playoffs...

I am not sure how the rest of you feel, but the only team at the top I would really want to avoid is Ottawa (their GF vs. GA is scary).

Here is my preference chart...assuming that Montreal is the only team we have no chance of meeting

1) TB - We match up well...and they are unproven
2) Philly - We have traditionally played well against them....and I think Burke is junk.
3) Boston - rookie goalie...play bad at home
4) Toronto - would be another 7 game series
5) Devils - if the "unproven" theory works against Tampa...it has to work for the Devs
6) Ottawa - SCARY (will come out of the East this year)

If the Islanders collapse, I will provide you with my address so you can come kick my ass for jinxing them... :p

Old
02-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Jones23

Toronto is the one team for sure I'd like to avoid as their physical nature will take it's toll win or lose.They have a deep team,playoff veterans,they can score and have a playoff goalie in net.They will most likely have another player added by the deadline as well.

Ottawa's a close second because of suspect goaltending.

Everyone else I think the Isles match up very well against.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:48 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith31
Maybe a little premature, but after last night's huge win ,and a couple against Pitt its time to look towards the playoffs...

I am not sure how the rest of you feel, but the only team at the top I would really want to avoid is Ottawa (their GF vs. GA is scary).

Here is my preference chart...assuming that Montreal is the only team we have no chance of meeting

1) TB - We match up well...and they are unproven
2) Philly - We have traditionally played well against them....and I think Burke is junk.
3) Boston - rookie goalie...play bad at home
4) Toronto - would be another 7 game series
5) Devils - if the "unproven" theory works against Tampa...it has to work for the Devs
6) Ottawa - SCARY (will come out of the East this year)

If the Islanders collapse, I will provide you with my address so you can come kick my ass for jinxing them... :p
Too early for me. Do not want to jinx it. A lot of hockey to play.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:50 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 521
I'll wait until they've actually clinched a spot before posting who I want them playing

Old
02-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Any team at all, as long as we get in!

Old
02-28-2004, 09:46 PM
OpAck

I think we'll all have a better indication after the trade deadline. With Toronto, NJ, Philly, us and others all looking to add something for the run, it's not easy to tell. At this point right now, I'm fearful of Ottawa. I think they can whoop us pretty good (isn't Bondra an Islander killer?). Then probably Toronto next (especially if they get Gonchar). Then the Devs who I just don't want to see the Isles play (if the Devs get up by one goal, the game could get VERY boring!!).

In fourth place, it's a tie between Philly and Boston. I think the Isles can take on either, but it would make for a close series (although, Bos could be another snoozefest). I would love to see the Isles and Tampa. As long as they can neutralize St. Louis and his line, they have a great shot. That would mean that the Isles would need to catch the Devs and get the 6th spot, which could happen.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:58 AM
Top Corner

Does it matter?

This team as is, doesn't make it past the 1st round anyway.

Showed nothing in playoff type environment (Ranger games)

Old
02-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbad
Does it matter?

This team as is, doesn't make it past the 1st round anyway.

Showed nothing in playoff type environment (Ranger games)
Mr Gloom & Doom has spoken! Do you ever have anything positive to say?

Old
02-29-2004, 02:45 PM
Top Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sft2404
Mr Gloom & Doom has spoken! Do you ever have anything positive to say?

Why is it doom and gloom when someone doesn't share your opinion. I call it like I see it and if I'm wrong please repost it. Stop whining like a little kid.

If you've read any posts I've made I don't jump on anyones band wagon about how crap they are or how great they are. This team has shown only that they can produce the same results with or without Yashin or Parrish which is good but it still doesn't answer them moving it up another level but just to make you happy, here goes "This team has every element to be a dynasty!"

Good enough for you?

Old
02-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Q. Who do you want to play in Rd. 1.

A. Any team. Seriously.

Be careful about what you wish for. History has taught that.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Grizzly

Quote:
Why is it doom and gloom when someone doesn't share your opinion. I call it like I see it and if I'm wrong please repost it. Stop whining like a little kid.

If you've read any posts I've made I don't jump on anyones band wagon about how crap they are or how great they are. This team has shown only that they can produce the same results with or without Yashin or Parrish which is good but it still doesn't answer them moving it up another level but just to make you happy, here goes "This team has every element to be a dynasty!"

Good enough for you?
You're right,you are entitled to your opinion,but it seems it is always a negative view of the team.As far as having diferent opinions , you're wrong.I would like to see some changes too.A hard hitting D-man would be nice & a big forward with some scoring ability would help also.Remember 4 years ago this team absolutly SUCKED, dynasties take time to happen, if they ever will happen again.So don't think I'm deluded about the quality of this team.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:04 PM
Top Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sft2404
You're right,you are entitled to your opinion,but it seems it is always a negative view of the team.As far as having diferent opinions , you're wrong.I would like to see some changes too.A hard hitting D-man would be nice & a big forward with some scoring ability would help also.Remember 4 years ago this team absolutly SUCKED, dynasties take time to happen, if they ever will happen again.So don't think I'm deluded about the quality of this team.
It's negative based on a majority of everyone else's perception of the team. Its a 7 - 10th place team that was the same 3 years ago after buying an upgrade.
Two subsequent years have produced nothing really positive except Hunter & Dipietro showing they can play and probably more negative when you look at management and they moves they've made.

Weimer- what you gave up and what you got back

Niinaama hasn't panned out.

Tarnstrom put on waivers.

Timmander for a 7th (Salary?) Then why trade for him and pay him that much.

Again I'm going on memory so maybe you can look at the Asham for Czerkawski
as a positive but all in all it's been status quo why all others are clsing the gap with younger teams (Buffalo/Florida etc..)

So if you don't think now is the time, you are mistakenly wrong. Why pay $15 million on 2 guys to fight for 8th and 1 round.

If the isles make the playoffs and go by the 1st round please mock me.
How could anyone be looking forward to a 1st round match up when you strugle to get points off of Pitts & the Rangers, worry about getting there first but I don't think they have anything that'll scare anyone in the 1st round.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:18 AM
disles1

Quote:
It's negative based on a majority of everyone else's perception of the team. Its a 7 - 10th place team that was the same 3 years ago after buying an upgrade.
Two subsequent years have produced nothing really positive except Hunter & Dipietro showing they can play and probably more negative when you look at management and they moves they've made.

Weimer- what you gave up and what you got back

Niinaama hasn't panned out.

Tarnstrom put on waivers.

Timmander for a 7th (Salary?) Then why trade for him and pay him that much.

Again I'm going on memory so maybe you can look at the Asham for Czerkawski
as a positive but all in all it's been status quo why all others are clsing the gap with younger teams (Buffalo/Florida etc..)

So if you don't think now is the time, you are mistakenly wrong. Why pay $15 million on 2 guys to fight for 8th and 1 round.

If the isles make the playoffs and go by the 1st round please mock me.
How could anyone be looking forward to a 1st round match up when you strugle to get points off of Pitts & the Rangers, worry about getting there first but I don't think they have anything that'll scare anyone in the 1st round.
I agree with Oz--we are and have been for three years a team that is just good enough to make the playoffs but we don't have the right mix to get to the next level. We should not be losing games to Pitt this late in the year no matter what the reason!!! We have a good group of guys but we are missing some pieces to the puzzle and with the core of the team in their late 20's its time for MM to step up and get us some help--and that doesn't mean a guy like Van Impe or Hindy :mad:

Old
03-01-2004, 12:19 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by disles1
I agree with Oz--we are and have been for three years a team that is just good enough to make the playoffs but we don't have the right mix to get to the next level.
The Islanders finished fifth overall in the conference in 2001-02, they were one point behind Philadelphia for the division lead and beat them on the final day of the season. They were the eighth best team in hockey.

That was hardly just enough to make the playoffs. They were a 96 point team.

To just look at last year (with several players injured and a brutal schedule in March) and call both seasons the same is simply not fair.

To dismiss or just say it's the same thing (low seed again) and not include injuries to Yashin, Parrish (Scatchard-Peca playing hurt) and acknowledge they took a step forward by staying where they are because of the young players says a lot for what improvements they are making.

All depends on if you care to notice. Some do not and never will, they can't wait for the losses to bring up the same old points and rant on Milbury and his team, which is entertaining but that's all.

And in the end the Isles are huge underdogs if they make the playoffs. But if they do how they got there with a younger supporting cast does make it different this time.

Old
03-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Top Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
The Islanders finished fifth overall in the conference in 2001-02, they were one point behind Philadelphia for the division lead and beat them on the final day of the season. They were the eighth best team in hockey.

That was hardly just enough to make the playoffs. They were a 96 point team.

To just look at last year (with several players injured and a brutal schedule in March) and call both seasons the same is simply not fair.

To dismiss or just say it's the same thing (low seed again) and not include injuries to Yashin, Parrish (Scatchard-Peca playing hurt) and acknowledge they took a step forward by staying where they are because of the young players says a lot for what improvements they are making.

All depends on if you care to notice. Some do not and never will, they can't wait for the losses to bring up the same old points and rant on Milbury and his team, which is entertaining but that's all.

And in the end the Isles are huge underdogs if they make the playoffs. But if they do how they got there with a younger supporting cast does make it different this time.
Are you telling me the Isles are the only team that experience injuries.

Every team in the league experiences injuries. Were were the Isles before the loss of Yashin , Parrish etc.. Not on top and probably somewhere still out of a playoff spot so I'm finding it hard to buy into your injury theory. 3 years ago teams were not taking the Isles seriously and rode Osgood to an incredible Oct. month.I know you can't take that away but they then become a .500 team.

So stop living in the past and focus on what they have right now a balanced forward group that can provide 8th seed capabilities regardless of a few injuries but lose a major defenseman or 2 and we become Washington.

Old
03-02-2004, 02:17 AM
blitzkriegs

how about a developing team??? DET, NJ, COL (QUE) were not made overnight. DAL was not a developed core. OTT, while developing, has yet to win...

Old
03-02-2004, 06:48 AM
Gillies9

Quote:

Every team in the league experiences injuries. Were were the Isles before the loss of Yashin , Parrish etc.. Not on top and probably somewhere still out of a playoff spot so I'm finding it hard to buy into your injury theory. 3 years ago teams were not taking the Isles seriously and rode Osgood to an incredible Oct. month.I know you can't take that away but they then become a .500 team.

So stop living in the past and focus on what they have right now a balanced forward group that can provide 8th seed capabilities regardless of a few injuries but lose a major defenseman or 2 and we become Washington.
This team has shown over the past 3 years that they can be disciplined, motivated and hard-working - but never consistently. Having one coach playing one system might help.
The difference over the next year or two, barring a major trade (and assuming anyone's playing hockey) will be DiPietro becoming an elite goalie.
In the meantime, I try to maintain objectivity and see this team as other fans and teams might see them. Last year, after losing 4 straight to Ottawa, they looked like a first-round-and-out team. For the moment, that's still what they are.

Old
03-02-2004, 10:11 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1

1st yr vs. TOR: Chris Osgood
2nd yr vs. OTT: Garth Snow
3rd yr vs. ?: Ricky DiPietro

The team is evolving as they go along here. For those that call NYI on "on the bubble playoff team" that has some weight. However, this is a young, developing team that will grow together. If NYI made the playoffs in the 6-8 spot for 3-5 years like EDM has done recently, then I would agree with this. But you gotta wait before affixing that tag.

NYI are not built to be the CAR, ANA's of the NHL. One hot streak to the Finals and back to oblivion. They are not the DET, DAL, COL, PHI of the league with an expensive blend of playoff laden talented veterans and youth. Nor are they STL with the eternal questions that surround a team that CAN'T get out of the 2nd round. That's a playoff bubble team.

Old
03-02-2004, 10:16 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:

The Isles are not the only team to experience injuries, they may be the only one to have Four regulation losses in the last 22 games with injuries.

I think your the one living in the past. They lost key players and did not become Washington. They are however one of the few who have taken steps forward with them.

What were the Isles before they lost Yashin and Parrish ? A team that was on a six game winning streak playing their toughest part of the schedule. They were on top of their game and fought into playoff contention because of that.

I guess you were too busy to notice because you were waiting for the four of five game losing steak to match it and called for it here often at the time. Sorry, but it never happened.

You now are quick to throw the Pittsburgh ot loss into the mix to judge the team but where were you when the Isles were beating Ottawa to balance it out with equal credit, which does not mean calling them a dynasty, btw.

No one's planning a parade here, they are not expected to go anywhere against Ottawa or New Jersey, aside from that they have an outside chance in any series they play despite the season records against those teams.

If they make it at all.

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 03-02-2004 at 10:20 AM.
Closed Thread