HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Who to replace MacT?

Old
10-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Phillybean

vCash: 500
Who to replace MacT?

John Tortorella

227 - 195 - 35 - All time as head coach
Two major championships as a coach (95-96 AHL, 03-04 NHL)
03-04 Jack Adams Winner

Accomplishments
Developed offensive dynamo's Lecavalier, Prospal, Richards, St. Louis and scoring/puck moving defensemen, Boyle and Kubina.

Philly's Thoughts
Although sometimes disliked, "Torts" has gotten the best out of his players. Vinny, Richards, Prospal etc. kept improving their game, year over year. MacT hasn't been able to have a team do that. With-in 3 years as a head coach, he brought Tampa home a cup. That team wasn't so different then what we have now. Imagine what he could bring to a team that already has the pieces.

Final Question
We have young, potential superstars in our line up. Who has MacT developed? The only player drafted as an Oiler that could fill that status is Hemsky, but his break out year happened after playing for Pardubice HC during the lock out. Maybe it was Jiří Šejba.

Phillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Senor Catface

If, and that's a big IF because we all have no idea what it would take for this to happen (though I firmly believe this is the big test year for Mac T) I would want them to consider Pat Burns. The guy has nothing but results in his pocket, and even though he's been gone from hockey, it's not that long.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Soundwave

We need a motivator and we need a guy who can develop young, offensive oriented teams. Preferably with some playoff experience.

Tortorella meets that criteria even if he does some times blow up.

Maybe getting canned from Tampa has cooled him off a bit. I notice Keenan is not nearly as fiery these days either.

I don't see Torts as a long term fix, but for 3-4 years, I think he could help really take a few of our players to the next level and get us into the playoffs more regularly.

This team just takes way too many nights off.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:03 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I don't know about Torts, sure it would be nice to get some fire, but it could burn the young guys too.

its high risk high reward, but i have a feeling it would be too high risk .

Pat Burns would be an awesome choice.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:04 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
I don't know about Torts, sure it would be nice to get some fire, but it could burn the young guys too.

its high risk high reward, but i have a feeling it would be too high risk .

Pat Burns would be an awesome choice.
Isn't Pat Burns notoriously worse for dealing with young players?

He doesn't play them and leans on his vets.

Tortorella is a fire brand, but he will stick with his kids and develop them.

Firey coaches tend to ratchet their temper down a notch every time they get fired anyway. Keenan seems almost placid these days, lol.

The other thing about Torts is the team in Tampa was built similarily to the current Oilers in terms of the blue line also -- we have lots of puck moving D, Tortorella is used to that having had Boyle/Kubina/Kuba etc. in Tampa. He knows how to coach that offensive style with puck movement off the blueline and a good PP.

We're not going to be a defensively dominant team with this roster, it's time we accept that and get a coach who can coach to an offensive squad's strengths.

Old
10-28-2008, 01:06 AM
chris11inter

Barry Melrose after he gets canned in Tampa

chris11inter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:09 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

I have a big problem with what Tortorella did with Denis. He took a goalie who was better set to start than Garon was for the Oilers last year and set him back hugely. I don't like his ego clashes. And I am not thrilled that he was able to coach a team with Lecavlier, St. Louis, Boyle, and a good chunk of the year Richards to last place in the league.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Pennertration

Can we please just create a "Fire MacT" sticky thread? I'm getting sick of seeing 70 threads that say the same stupid thing

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
I have a big problem with what Tortorella did with Denis. He took a goalie who was better set to start than Garon was for the Oilers last year and set him back hugely. I don't like his ego clashes. And I am not thrilled that he was able to coach a team with Lecavlier, St. Louis, Boyle, and a good chunk of the year Richards to last place in the league.
Denis was a dud in Tampa though, I don't think you can fault Torts for that entirely. Denis isn't even in the NHL right now period I don't think ... if he was so great, he should've bounced back. Tortorella had no issues with Khabby.

He also coached those same guys to a Stanley Cup, and that team that finished in last had no goaltending and was hamstrung with a paper thin defense because ownership overpaid Richards massively.

Old
10-28-2008, 01:15 AM
Phillybean

Last year I don't know if I blame Torts at all. That team was full of over paid players which in the salary cap world left the team void of any balance.

Even although this years line up is better IMO, they are still 1-3-3.

Old
10-28-2008, 01:20 AM
hfboardsuser

Scott Arniel

AHL: 2 years Head Coach, Manitoba Moose (91-50-19)
NHL: 3 years (2003-04 to 2005-06) Assistant Coach, Buffalo Sabres

Accomplishments

-In first year as assistant with IHL's Manitoba Moose, helped team to first round upset.

-Member of Manitoba Moose coaching staff during first season in AHL. Team tied for fifth-most wins in the league.

-Member of 2005-06 Buffalo coaching staff that won Jack Adams Trophy.

-While Assistant Coach with Sabres, team improved from 72 to 85 to 110 points.

-In first year as AHL head coach in 2006-07, guided Manitoba Moose to 45 wins. Accumulated 46 wins the next year.

Notable Mentors

Dave Tippett (Houston, 1995-96)
Randy Carlyle (Manitoba, 2001-02)
Lindy Ruff (Buffalo, 2003-2006)

Quotes

"The big thing as a coach is that you think you have all the answers and that you have a game plan that is the be all and end all. Then you get into situations where you have to make changes, recognizing that you have to adjust to your team and that every year is different... You have to tailor yourself towards the kind of team that you have. You can't get locked into doing things a certain way all of the time."

"If you just throw your name in for jobs and get yourself on the wheel for the sake of just getting a job, you could get bounced off that wheel and be gone.. The biggest thing for me is you align yourself with a good general manager and you know the people you are in business with. In a relationship like that, it helps you through the tough times as well as the good.

That's probably the best way. I've seen success in Buffalo with Darcy (Regeir) and Lindy (Ruff). They have a good friendship and a good relationship. Brian Burke and Randy Carlyle (with the Anaheim Ducks) are another example."

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 06:17 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Scott Arniel

AHL: 2 years Head Coach, Manitoba Moose (91-50-19)
NHL: 3 years (2003-04 to 2005-06) Assistant Coach, Buffalo Sabres

Accomplishments

-In first year as assistant with IHL's Manitoba Moose, helped team to first round upset.

-Member of Manitoba Moose coaching staff during first season in AHL. Team tied for fifth-most wins in the league.

-Member of 2005-06 Buffalo coaching staff that won Jack Adams Trophy.

-While Assistant Coach with Sabres, team improved from 72 to 85 to 110 points.

-In first year as AHL head coach in 2006-07, guided Manitoba Moose to 45 wins. Accumulated 46 wins the next year.

Notable Mentors

Dave Tippett (Houston, 1995-96)
Randy Carlyle (Manitoba, 2001-02)
Lindy Ruff (Buffalo, 2003-2006)

Quotes

"The big thing as a coach is that you think you have all the answers and that you have a game plan that is the be all and end all. Then you get into situations where you have to make changes, recognizing that you have to adjust to your team and that every year is different... You have to tailor yourself towards the kind of team that you have. You can't get locked into doing things a certain way all of the time."

"If you just throw your name in for jobs and get yourself on the wheel for the sake of just getting a job, you could get bounced off that wheel and be gone.. The biggest thing for me is you align yourself with a good general manager and you know the people you are in business with. In a relationship like that, it helps you through the tough times as well as the good.

That's probably the best way. I've seen success in Buffalo with Darcy (Regeir) and Lindy (Ruff). They have a good friendship and a good relationship. Brian Burke and Randy Carlyle (with the Anaheim Ducks) are another example."
Bugg, do you honestly see that being likely, given the history between these two teams.

I like Huddy for being given a shot

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 06:22 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
igor ulanov for head coach

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 06:34 AM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

After a 4-0 shaky start...

We just picked up 1 out of 8 points, fans asking for MacTs head on a plate. We then go to get 6 out of a possible 8 points in the next 4 games and oil fans are high again, MacT is fine. We then again pick up 1 out of 8 points, fans asking for MacTs head on a plate. We then go to get 6 out of a possible 8 points in the next 4 games and oil fans are high again, MacT is fine.

We just picked up 1 out of 8 points, fans asking for MacTs head on a plate. We then go to get 6 out of a possible 8 points in the next 4 games and oil fans are high again, MacT is fine. We then again pick up 1 out of 8 points, fans asking for MacTs head on a plate. We then go to get 6 out of a possible 8 points in the next 4 games and oil fans are high again, MacT is fine.

We finish the year 2-4 points out of the playoffs and MacT is kept on for ·one more year·, just to see what kind of damage we can do next year.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

When people speculate on these changes it seems they don't thing at all about the nature of this org under Lowe.

Anybody that would be coach of this club would be subservient to what has gone before.

Theres no way in hell Lowe would hire an alphamale like Tortorella as long as Kev is running things. To do so would mean deferring to a man who had recently put together a cup win. We won't be getting that type of expertise here.

This is an insular closed shop for reasons and it seems nobody considers that.

For those that like Lowe managing this organization him being unquestioned head honcho is part of what you get.

An Alpha like Lowe would not be subservient to anybody not named Gretzky or Messier.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 06:46 AM
DonovanMD

Knowing the Oilers it will be Buchberger. His resume says stuff like, "1 year AHL head coach experience" and "once fought Bob Probert and did not die"

DonovanMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:21 AM
n00b1AnPr1nc355

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
After a 4-0 shaky start...

We finish the year 2-4 points out of the playoffs and MacT is kept on for ·one more year·, just to see what kind of damage we can do next year.
Weird it seems so familiar. Where could i have seen or experienced this before? Has this ever occured before?

n00b1AnPr1nc355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
When people speculate on these changes it seems they don't thing at all about the nature of this org under Lowe.

Anybody that would be coach of this club would be subservient to what has gone before.

Theres no way in hell Lowe would hire an alphamale like Tortorella as long as Kev is running things. To do so would mean deferring to a man who had recently put together a cup win. We won't be getting that type of expertise here.

For those that like Lowe managing this organization him being unquestioned head honcho is part of what you get.

An Alpha like Lowe would not be subservient to anybody not named Gretzky or Messier.

I tend to allow Lowe to be Lowe because for the most part, he did his best with what he had. He was a better coach than MacT as well. I liked his coaching strategies and he seemed to always beable to fire his troops up. If the Oilers lost when Lowe was behind the bench, the opposition had to work for that win. With MacT, when the other team win.. its because the Oilers seem to always shoot themselves in the foot and not show up every time.

As GM, Lowe has done very well bringing in players I never thought this organization could ever do and for that, I'm very pleased. He has made a couple bad moves, but what GM doesnt, his good moves far outweigh his bad ones. He for the most part has brought in players that had the biggest bang for their buck pre cba and now he brings in players like Souray, Vis and cole just in the last two years. For me, its hard not to think of this as a coaching issue.

I agree it would be hard for Lowe to fire his buddy shoe in, but if he wants whats best for this team, he better have the balls to do it.

I'd kill to see Torts or Burns behind the bench and introduce a fresh new system which is what this team needs. MacT's system is stale and doesnt work anymore. MacT would thrive in a place like the Wild or even the Flames where a defensive minded coach can coach a defesive style team.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanMD View Post
Knowing the Oilers it will be Buchberger. His resume says stuff like, "1 year AHL head coach experience" and "once fought Bob Probert and did not die"
Agreed, and thats where Lowe fails as a GM. I hope Tambi has the larger and final say as to who would be th enew head coach if there is to be one.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Phillybean

With-out Katz as the owner, I agree 100% with you. I beleive, behind closed doors, Katz is the new alpha male in town. What he says goes and right now, if the Oilers are below .500 by the either the first 10 games, or by the end of November, MacT will be fired/promoted out of a coaching posistion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Old
10-28-2008, 09:56 AM
R-MAN83

I like Ted Nolan.

R-MAN83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Mr.Prez
Why not Zoidberg?

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
Can we please just create a "Fire MacT" sticky thread? I'm getting sick of seeing 70 threads that say the same stupid thing
what he said

Mr.Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:00 AM
OntOilFan

If it's Buchberger ... I don't even want to think about that ...

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:03 AM
frag2

I hope its neither Quinn nor Burns. Quinn has this man love for older players/veterans [just see his love for older Toronto team] and Burns is similar in that regard.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:03 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
If it's Buchberger ... I don't even want to think about that ...
if it is him--there would be a fire Bucky thread 5 minutes before the hired him on this board.

As much as I like MacT--I think it is time for fresh blood behind the bench and not one of Lowe's old buddies

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote