HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we over rate some of our players?

Old
10-28-2008, 09:34 AM
rigger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynegetic Dawg View Post
Just like every fan base does.
Exactly, everybody favours their home town players.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
what other team would Pisani play 16 - 20 min a night???? Sorry, what good team? Yes he is a good 3rd/4th liner but they usually don't play as much as we play him!!! Same could be said for alot of our guys. He is a MacT guy so he plays more than he should. Just like Reasoner, plays more that he should thanks to MacT
Ugh, you're ridiculous. Alot of teams, Vancouver, Minnesota, NYR, NYI, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Atlanta, LA, etc, etc.

You don't like him, but stop try to mitigate his value to the team just because you don't like him.

Notice how I never said 20 mins, by the way, you did. He would play 12-17 mins a night with nearly every team in the NHL.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11inter View Post
First off let me say this has nothing to do with the loss tonight !!

However do you think us Oiler fans really over rate some of our players?

Horcoff
MAP
Pisani
Moreau
Stortini
Grebs
The Kids

Just as examples

I'm a pretty frequent HF guy and listen to the team & Ched quite often. I listen to caller after caller speak about how good we are. How we are so good offensively, how we are so good defensively and how our goal tending is now top notch.

Do you think it may be time to take a step back and lower expectations?

Just a thought !
Hemsky is the most overrated by far. He is not a star; the guy is still giving away the puck like a rookie and he is a 6 year vet.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:54 AM
chris11inter

vCash: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Ugh, you're ridiculous. Alot of teams, Vancouver, Minnesota, NYR, NYI, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Atlanta, LA, etc, etc.

You don't like him, but stop try to mitigate his value to the team just because you don't like him.

Notice how I never said 20 mins, by the way, you did. He would play 12-17 mins a night with nearly every team in the NHL.
Pisani would play 12 -17 minutes on nearly every team in the NHL ??

Exactly my question of over rate our players !!

12 minutes- are 3rd liner minutes... And yes I agree he plays that

17 Minutes- are 1st-2nd line minutes.. And there is no chance he plays in the top 2 lines anywhere in the NHL !

Reminder he has a career high of 37 points !

chris11inter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:55 AM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Hemsky is the most overrated by far. He is not a star; the guy is still giving away the puck like a rookie and he is a 6 year vet.
I would agree with this. Hemsky is glorified by Oilers fans for some reason, and I will never understand it.

But by the same token, we underrate some of our players too.

Steve Staios comes to mind. He's a very serviceable defenceman who is excellent in the corners and down low that I suspect every other team in the NHL would take on their team, yet most of the Oiler fans here seem to think he's useless.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:37 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:

17 Minutes- are 1st-2nd line minutes.. And there is no chance he plays in the top 2 lines anywhere in the NHL !

Sweet jesus, use your brain.

He's not going to be playing 17 minutes every ****ing night, but some nights, say if a team takes alot of penalties, then he would end up playing more.

The point is more, even though alot of people like to rail on him, Pisani is a very good defensive forward, who is a very good penalty killer and is very dependable. A guy like him can fit in nearly all teams in the league in that roll.

Old
10-28-2008, 11:07 AM
okgooil

Quote:

Pisani plays lots becuase he kills penalties, lots of players play lots of mins if they are big penalty killers. Pisani is used exaclty how he should be and if he was on just about any other team in the NHL he would be used the same.

We all overrated Oilers a bit, that is kind of the point, I don't think I overrate them much, Also we also overrate and underrate other players in the league to. Kind of makes being a fan fun.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Jussha

there are two trade proposals post lock out that really show the homerism of oiler fans for me.

The first one, around quarter season of the second season post lock out, a poster had suggested a trade on the oiler boards of ryan smyth for henrik zetterberg, and 95% of posters just ***** all over that poster for even suggesting that trade saying Zetterberg had no heart and that we should never trade ryan smyth. At that point Zetterberg was already a consistent point per game player and showing excellent two way play, but everyone just disregarded zetterberg's overall skill level here.

The second one, was at the end of the second season post lock out I think it was, a poster from the Toronto boards suggested a Nik Antropov for Raffi Torres trade, and every single poster just ***** on that poster for coming to our boards and even suggesting the trade, saying that Antropov is garbage and didnt have anything to offer that made him better than torres

Those for me are two of the biggest factors that show oiler homerism

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:10 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post
there are two trade proposals post lock out that really show the homerism of oiler fans for me.

The first one, around quarter season of the second season post lock out, a poster had suggested a trade on the oiler boards of ryan smyth for henrik zetterberg, and 95% of posters just ***** all over that poster for even suggesting that trade saying Zetterberg had no heart and that we should never trade ryan smyth. At that point Zetterberg was already a consistent point per game player and showing excellent two way play, but everyone just disregarded zetterberg's overall skill level here.

The second one, was at the end of the second season post lock out I think it was, a poster from the Toronto boards suggested a Nik Antropov for Raffi Torres trade, and every single poster just ***** on that poster for coming to our boards and even suggesting the trade, saying that Antropov is garbage and didnt have anything to offer that made him better than torres

Those for me are two of the biggest factors that show oiler homerism
meh, I think a couple years ago Zetter for Smyth could have looked like a bad deal, easy to say it was homerism now that Zetter has turned into a star. Also I think a few years ago Torres did appear to have more upside then he did.

Any way, for all those trades there are a million saying trade Stiaos for a bag of pucks.

Old
10-28-2008, 11:17 AM
chris11inter

Quote:
Sweet jesus, use your brain.

He's not going to be playing 17 minutes every ****ing night, but some nights, say if a team takes alot of penalties, then he would end up playing more.

The point is more, even though alot of people like to rail on him, Pisani is a very good defensive forward, who is a very good penalty killer and is very dependable. A guy like him can fit in nearly all teams in the league in that roll.
You are 100% correct.

Sorry for not using my brain.

Never again shall I argue a point that a career 30 point guy, making 2.5 million dollars , playing on the 3rd line, would not play 17 minutes on many teams in the NHL.

Now of course if the team took 15 penalties maybe he would... However if the team took no penalites, I would be suprised if he played 10 minutes on a few teams .

Old
10-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
meh, I think a couple years ago Zetter for Smyth could have looked like a bad deal, easy to say it was homerism now that Zetter has turned into a star. Also I think a few years ago Torres did appear to have more upside then he did.

Any way, for all those trades there are a million saying trade Stiaos for a bag of pucks.
i have watched pretty much every red wings game post lock out, and trust me, if you watched red wings games frequently, you would have realized it was the oilers ripping off the red wings if that trade happened. Zetterberg has had strong two way play pretty much since he was a rookie at the nhl and a real skill set to boot, ryan smyth just works hard, and zetterberg was in the 2nd year of a 4 years 2.65 million dollar a year contract. Even if for some bizare reasons you thought there skill sets were the same, based on contracts and a salary cap nhl any oiler fan should have said yes to that trade

Old
10-28-2008, 11:24 AM
okgooil

Quote:
i have watched pretty much every red wings game post lock out, and trust me, if you watched red wings games frequently, you would have realized it was the oilers ripping off the red wings if that trade happened. Zetterberg has had strong two way play pretty much since he was a rookie at the nhl and a real skill set to boot, ryan smyth just works hard, and zetterberg was in the 2nd year of a 4 years 2.65 million dollar a year contract. Even if for some bizare reasons you thought there skill sets were the same, based on contracts and a salary cap nhl any oiler fan should have said yes to that trade
meh, again I think you are being just as bias as the people you are accusing. hindsight is always 20/20, I don't think you could have said all that 2-3 years ago.

Old
10-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
You are 100% correct.

Sorry for not using my brain.

Never again shall I argue a point that a career 30 point guy, making 2.5 million dollars , playing on the 3rd line, would not play 17 minutes on many teams in the NHL.

Now of course if the team took 15 penalties maybe he would... However if the team took no penalites, I would be suprised if he played 10 minutes on a few teams .
You're killing me, where did I say he would be guaranteed 17 mins a night? Come on, some nights players like him play more, you know this, I know this, just like some nights they play less.

Old
10-28-2008, 11:27 AM
jeremywilhelm

haha, ryan smyth is a plug, always was and always will be... lets trade for him back, hes a perfect fit here again, he can play on the top line with brodziak and macyntire.

jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Jussha

Quote:
meh, again I think you are being just as bias as the people you are accusing. hindsight is always 20/20, I don't think you could have said all that 2-3 years ago.
its not bias, i am both a red wings and oilers fan (I have lived in Edmonton my whole life) and its that oiler fans truly overvalued ryan smyth. The guy gets paid twice as much to do the same thing tomas holmstrom does in detroit. i don't know how to find old threads, but i remember laughing to myself as everyone ripped apart the poster who suggested the trade. i know most ppl here were devastated by the smyth trade but i smiled inside.

yes its true that hindsight is 20/20, but how do a board of posters from a teams boards all laugh off a person who suggests a ryan smyth for henrik zetterberg trade and say its not fair (zetterberg just came off a 85 pt season when the trade was suggested and is making 2.65 million a year). How do i search old threads? ppl's comments were "ryan smyth is heart and soul, zetterberg doesnt play good defensively, and he has no heart and passion", all that same bull crap. Why does that get said about the other player? there is an easy answer, its that most of those posters dont watch red wings games. I don't know if Ti-girl still posts on the oiler boards, but she is a die hard oiler fan, but started watching the red wings because she is friends with darren helm, and now she just loves the team because of the way the red wings play. Although I am a bit biased because I like the wings more than the oilers, my points are likely more valid because I watch both teams avidly.

I'm not saying there is no justification for wanting to keep smyth, but the fact that the vast majority thought the oilers were being ripped off by the proposal shows overrating a player right there, at most the trade should have been at least deemed fair value

Old
10-28-2008, 11:37 AM
chris11inter

Quote:
You're killing me, where did I say he would be guaranteed 17 mins a night? Come on, some nights players like him play more, you know this, I know this, just like some nights they play less.
Would he play 17 minutes a night ? Highly unlikely (It's not like he is some penalty killing machine) .. He is probably a PK2 guy on most teams.

Should he play 17 minutes- definitly not even as a PK2 guy

So to answer your question (Is he would be a 12-17 minutes guy on most NHL teams) I wouldn't be so sure..

Really what is the diffrence between him and Brodziak ? Brodziak is cheaper. Probably as good on the PK . Had 31 points in his first full season with Oil (Pisani had 41 playing with better players).

Old
10-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Walsher

Here is how I know the Oilers overrate the talent we have - you see more random player jerseys in the crowd than any other team. What do I mean by this? The Flames come to town you see Iginla, Phaneuf, and Kipper jerseys. The odd girl hockey fan with a Lombardi because she thinks he is hot and screams nothing but I love you Matthew all night. I used to mock the Flames for this but it makes sense. They have elite players that fans would want the jerseys of.

There is a row of Oiler fans a couple down from me at the Drug Store that have Stoll, Horcoff, Moreau, Staios, and a couple others. You look around you see Reasoner, Grier, Marchant, etc. jerseys throughout the building. Not saying I am not the same - I mean I have a Jason Smith jersey (along with Gretzky and Weight jerseys).

My rambling in summary is this - Jason Smith and Steve Staios have never been top 3 d-men on any other teams yet later in their careers they come to Edmonton and run show. Ethan Moreau isn't a captain in any other NHL City. Horcoff is not a first line centre in any other city. Cogs-Gagner-Nilsson is not a competitive 2nd line yet. Gilbert is not a 4 million dollar man. Look at point production. It is not because they play in a "defensive system". The Oilers give up 30+ shots a night. Defense is not a strong suit. This team, despite what others point out, is not built for MacT's defensive system. They are full of offensive minded, middle of the road players. The only player right now that is living up to the fans perception is MacIntyre and he plays > 5 mins a night.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:57 AM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
Here is how I know the Oilers overrate the talent we have - you see more random player jerseys in the crowd than any other team. What do I mean by this? The Flames come to town you see Iginla, Phaneuf, and Kipper jerseys. The odd girl hockey fan with a Lombardi because she thinks he is hot and screams nothing but I love you Matthew all night. I used to mock the Flames for this but it makes sense. They have elite players that fans would want the jerseys of.

There is a row of Oiler fans a couple down from me at the Drug Store that have Stoll, Horcoff, Moreau, Staios, and a couple others. You look around you see Reasoner, Grier, Marchant, etc. jerseys throughout the building. Not saying I am not the same - I mean I have a Jason Smith jersey (along with Gretzky and Weight jerseys).

My rambling in summary is this - Jason Smith and Steve Staios have never been top 3 d-men on any other teams yet later in their careers they come to Edmonton and run show. Ethan Moreau isn't a captain in any other NHL City. Horcoff is not a first line centre in any other city. Cogs-Gagner-Nilsson is not a competitive 2nd line yet. Gilbert is not a 4 million dollar man. Look at point production. It is not because they play in a "defensive system". The Oilers give up 30+ shots a night. Defense is not a strong suit. This team, despite what others point out, is not built for MacT's defensive system. They are full of offensive minded, middle of the road players. The only player right now that is living up to the fans perception is MacIntyre and he plays > 5 mins a night.
I completely agree with this, I have said it before and I'll say it again, how the heck does Tom Gilbert make 4 million dollars a year. Brent Burns signed for 4 years at 3.5 million dollars a year. Niklas Kronwall signed 5 years at 3 million dollars a year. I don't care about this years of UFA given up ***** (Kronwall is also giving up UFA years as well with his contract). Kevin Lowe needs to have some balls and tell these players they ain't that good yet. Brent Burns is a a ******** better than Tom Gilbert is and Kevin Lowe should have said to friggin Tom Gilbert, "You think you're better than Brent Burns? go find a new team then"

Although Hemsky is not playing great right now, he is still our top offensive player, the fact that our organization is paying a sophomore defenseman almost as much as our top defensive player is a complete slap in the face to hemsky and ridiculous asset management

Old
10-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Would he play 17 minutes a night ? Highly unlikely (It's not like he is some penalty killing machine) .. He is probably a PK2 guy on most teams.

Should he play 17 minutes- definitly not even as a PK2 guy

So to answer your question (Is he would be a 12-17 minutes guy on most NHL teams) I wouldn't be so sure..

Really what is the diffrence between him and Brodziak ? Brodziak is cheaper. Probably as good on the PK . Had 31 points in his first full season with Oil (Pisani had 41 playing with better players).
Whatever man, as long as you're convinced.

Old
10-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Jussha

oops i meant top offensive player

Old
10-28-2008, 12:23 PM
okgooil

Quote:
I completely agree with this, I have said it before and I'll say it again, how the heck does Tom Gilbert make 4 million dollars a year. Brent Burns signed for 4 years at 3.5 million dollars a year. Niklas Kronwall signed 5 years at 3 million dollars a year. I don't care about this years of UFA given up ***** (Kronwall is also giving up UFA years as well with his contract). Kevin Lowe needs to have some balls and tell these players they ain't that good yet. Brent Burns is a a ******** better than Tom Gilbert is and Kevin Lowe should have said to friggin Tom Gilbert, "You think you're better than Brent Burns? go find a new team then"

Although Hemsky is not playing great right now, he is still our top offensive player, the fact that our organization is paying a sophomore defenseman almost as much as our top defensive player is a complete slap in the face to hemsky and ridiculous asset management
Dude, you just missed the train, we are talking about fans overrating players, not the GM. So you are now talking about Lowe, differnt topic.

Old
10-28-2008, 12:31 PM
jeremywilhelm

Quote:
Dude, you just missed the train, we are talking about fans overrating players, not the GM. So you are now talking about Lowe, differnt topic.
that doesnt make what he said wrong though...

jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Jussha

Quote:
you are correct in that part you quoted is not meant at the fans, but the ryan smyth zetterberg trade proposal is, and maybe you were a diehard smyth fan like 95% of edmonton, but even back then do you agree that trade proposal should have been deemed fair at least, and not laughed at? because it doesn't change the fact that it was laughed at back then and a perfect example of "Edmonton fans" overrating their players.

Old
10-28-2008, 12:37 PM
okgooil

Quote:
you are correct in that part you quoted is not meant at the fans, but the ryan smyth zetterberg trade proposal is, and maybe you were a diehard smyth fan like 95% of edmonton, but even back then do you agree that trade proposal should have been deemed fair at least, and not laughed at? because it doesn't change the fact that it was laughed at back then and a perfect example of "Edmonton fans" overrating their players.
I would like to find this thread, I think you are being dramatic, I can't see it being laughed at. I highly doubt that. I would have to see it.

all I am saying is things change, 3 years ago I thought Zetterberg was a soft player who would always disapear in the playoffs and really just got point by playing with great players, I was wrong, and many others were to. hindsight is 20/20, if I cared to hang onto all the thing I have said that turned out to be right, then braged to every one years later about that, well then I would probably be considred annoying

Also, for your Gilbert, none of those comparisons really hold up, Kronwall is 2 years older, Burns signed a year before he broke out, and really minny got a hell of a deal. You can compare him to Ballard, that is probably the best comparable. Of course if you compare him to players that would locked up to sweet heart deals he will look bad. I mean why not compare Gomez to Hemsky??

Old
10-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Jussha

Quote:
I would like to find this thread, I think you are being dramatic, I can't see it being laughed at. I highly doubt that. I would have to see it.

all I am saying is things change, 3 years ago I thought Zetterberg was a soft player who would always disapear in the playoffs and really just got point by playing with great players, I was wrong, and many others were to. hindsight is 20/20, if I cared to hang onto all the thing I have said that turned out to be right, then braged to every one years later about that, well then I would probably be considred annoying

Also, for your Gilbert, none of those comparisons really hold up, Kronwall is 2 years older, Burns signed a year before he broke out, and really minny got a hell of a deal. You can compare him to Ballard, that is probably the best comparable. Of course if you compare him to players that would locked up to sweet heart deals he will look bad. I mean why not compare Gomez to Hemsky??
and why did ppl think zetterberg was soft? this is one of the points im trying to make, ppl think this because how many red wings games have you watched? this is why fans in general overrate their players, because they dont see enough of other team's player to make valid comments on them, but they do so anyways and pimp their team's players. I have watched Zetterberg since he was a rookie almost every day, and the guy has never been soft. I guess the main point is that ppl shouldn't comment on another team's players unless they actually watch that person play on a consistent basis or it means nothing.

In regards to Gilbert, how is it not comparable? sure they signed their contracts before, but Lowe can thus use them as a base for his signing, he signed a frickin rookie who scored 33 pts to more money than brent burns and Niklas Kronwall, and he gave him money similar to ales hemsky, what kind of asset management is that? Does he think Gilbert is better? if so, then fine I guess he is justified in giving him that contract, but if not, he should tell gilbert to ***** off and go find a new team, he had the balls to not give Ryan Smyth the money he asked for, why the heck does he give tom gilbert that money is beyond me.