HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Fire Hitchcock

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2008, 11:27 AM
FiveHole23

vCash: 500
This team is bad right now but on top of that the goalies are playing like ****, making stupid turn overs right and left. They can't be blamed for all the goals but I would say right now 1/3 of the goals were either extremely soft or directly their fault.

Trade Norenna for a 5th, see if that wakes pazzy up.

LaCosta has already proved to me this season he can put better numbers then Leclaire or Norenna.

Mason will be ready mid year.

Old
10-28-2008, 11:30 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Some body correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Hitch sign a 3 year extention over the summer? IMO Priest wants no part of paying some one $1M+ a year for doing nothing ala xDMGM but only longer. This team is married to Hitch for bettre or worse. Our biggest problem is lack of scoring - Not a Hitch coaching strength. 1 or 2 goals a game won't win many games. I hate to be so cheery but...

Old
10-28-2008, 11:50 AM
forktie

I still can't imagine that Hitchcock got stupid.

We win when the players execute the plan.
We lose when our players do dumb ***** on the ice.

Old
10-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Kutter

Well it looks like Hitch is trying to shake things up - Nash at center with Chimera on the LW and Juice on RW.

It's going to be an interesting next 10 games. I still have faith that the team will turn it around.

Old
10-28-2008, 12:09 PM
DJAnimosity
#BattleOn

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but just throwing it out there:

Gerard Gallant's first full year as coach:
35-43-4

Ken Hitchcock's first full year as coach:
34-36-12

There are numerous ways to look at this, of course. Hitch's teams seem to be more competitive, at least getting to OT or the SO before losing, and gaining more points in the process.

Gallant's teams got the job done in regulation for the most part, win or lose. (Although I do remember his team being ungodly in OT, something like 9-1.)

Talent level advantage has got to go to Hitch. Gallant was stuck with people like Hrdina, Westcott, Hartigan, Marchant, Rupp, Platt, Hulse, Denis, Motzko, Severson, Delmore, Prusek, Simon, and Goertzen.

Old
10-28-2008, 01:13 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
The problem I have with this is that I don't think it's similar to your portrayal. This is more like a guy is saying "well, if I just had a better phone, I could call more people and sell more" and he gets the phone and it still doesn't work so he says, "well, I need a new car so I can meet with people face-to-face" and he gets the car and still doesn't sell and he says "I need a new projector to make my presentation look extra spiffy" and he gets the projector...

You get my point.

This version of the CBJ tastes like New Coke so far. We know how long that lasted.
I get your point.

But again, my issue is the timeline. I don't think Hitch actually got his better phone, new car and awesome projector until this season.
Hence my initial snarky post about firing an employee after only a few weeks.

I'm sure he asked last year, but I think his boss told him to make due.

And talk about bad analogy!
For this to be New Coke, that implies the on-ice Coke Classic of days of yore was good. We know that wasn't true.
That'd make this New ... Tab? Faygo?

Old
10-28-2008, 01:32 PM
LaCosta Nostra

What about RC Cola??????

I think that Hitch needed a Blackberry phone and got something close, but not exactly what he needed, so he's trying to work with it, but it's not getting him what he needs. If we'd been able to land that #1 center, I think we'd be in a whole different place because all of this has been revolving around that 1st line and fitting someone in the middle.

Old
10-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I get your point.

But again, my issue is the timeline. I don't think Hitch actually got his better phone, new car and awesome projector until this season.
Hence my initial snarky post about firing an employee after only a few weeks.

I'm sure he asked last year, but I think his boss told him to make due.

And talk about bad analogy!
For this to be New Coke, that implies the on-ice Coke Classic of days of yore was good. We know that wasn't true.
That'd make this New ... Tab? Faygo?
All that's fair. Maybe this is new "Sam's Cola"?

Old
10-28-2008, 01:52 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
All that's fair. Maybe this is new "Sam's Cola"?
Well it certainly isn't Dr. Bold, that's for sure.

Old
10-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Dead Horse

Firing a coach so soon into the season would be counterproductive

Old
10-28-2008, 02:30 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert99 View Post
So is losing.

Old
10-28-2008, 02:32 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbert99 View Post
Counterproductive to what? We are 3-6-0 and in the midst of a 3 game losing streak and are the 27th best team in the NHL. Our #1 goalie is on IR and our #1 forward is being asked to play a position he has never played before. Don't forget that Ken Hitchcock was fired from Philly 8 games into the 2006 season. Denis Savard was fired 4 games into this season.

I'm no cliff-jumper but let's call a spade a spade.

Old
10-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Patience grasshoppers, look at the bright side, we have won three games. If things go bad the remainder of the season we will have a top pick that can start next season. Besides, the FA market next summer is looking good so we can pick up a center and puck moving defenseman. Oh, the cap should be higher next year as well so that shouldn't be an issue....

Old
10-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Whaley Klesla 97

The only thing I dont like about Hitch is how he changes the lines every single game, 4 times per game. None of these lines were together last year, give time to build chemistry.

Old
10-28-2008, 04:41 PM
ugotmybeef*

Outside opinion, Hitch should change the philosophy of trying to win games 2-1 and lay back after you have the lead. You have to keep pressuring when you have the lead to keep it.

And another thing, you guys haven't been rebuilding. You guys had to build from scratch which is totally another thing.

Old
10-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
Outside opinion, Hitch should change the philosophy of trying to win games 2-1 and lay back after you have the lead. You have to keep pressuring when you have the lead to keep it.

And another thing, you guys haven't been rebuilding. You guys had to build from scratch which is totally another thing.
True, we have played "not to lose" for three years. Rebuilding was stunted last year due to Foot and Feds.... I'd say our current team is more like a talented expansion team without a plan on how best to win based on the skill set of the players we have. It's almost as though guys are being forced to play a game that doesn't suit their best abilities.

Old
10-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Straight Jacket

Brass and Jake are playing better than expected, so after getting rid of Z where was our scoring really supposed to come from? Are we still supposed to buy the tired "different hero every night" crap? Scoring is up every yr. in this league and therefore so is the need to score more, and yet we were sold Hitches defense first system would work. Last yr. he did not have enough skill, supposedly. Even with stellar goaltending we finished our normal position. So now we have more skill in more positions. Except offensively. So we are forced to try to play airtight hockey. The problem with this is it allows little room for error. Offense can overcome errors but defense can't. If this is really Hitches type of people why are they struggling (losing) so much? Just venting, I really don't see Hitch getting fired anytime soon. Because it is never his fault.

Old
10-28-2008, 06:06 PM
BluejacketNut

The Jackets are a really good beer league team. One of those teams that has talent and can play, but only plays on the weekends together. Then they scrimmage a high school team and get caught running around by a team that is actually coached. We know the talents there, but this is not a "team" right now and its the coaches job to make them a team. I would agree with most the opinions that we have the most talent of any years, we do.

And I cant understand a mentality of not trusting younger players, when you have full confidence in vets who will be just as irresponsible. At that point, its just stubbornness. The handling of Filatov is absolutely mind boggling!

Im frustrated as hell to see a team come out so unorganized.....especially with a coach like Hitchcock. It still looks like we're in pre season, and its 9 games into the season. To already be this far into line juggling is scary. Nash at Center?!

Last edited by BluejacketNut: 10-28-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old
10-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Hobieman

I think Hitch is overcoaching right now. He has played too many players out of position just to try to get something going. I was at the duck game last nite and even though we were in control most of the game. It seems like we had no chemistry and guys didn't know who they were skating up the ice with, it seemed like ground hogs day. I hope Scott Howson is looking right now for a center. We needed a top line center all along and he's not on our team yet. Granted, the market didn't bear much this summer, but maybe we should try to find a center that is maybe not happy where he's at now: maybe like Brendan Morrison just for one. I know his trip to the west coast hasn't turned out like he thought as a top six forward. He's not fitting in there for some reason, but we sure could use a seasoned center, that's a fast skater, good passer, more of an assist guy than a scorer, and role player. He's making 2.7 on a one year deal. I think I remember him saying he didn't want to come to Columbus, but I wonder if that's still true, of course Cali weather is tough competition. Umberger is not a center, neither is Nash, and on top of that we got Juice playing right wing when he's been left his whole life. I felt like playing Brassard at #1 center was our only weakest option, that Hitch didn't even give enough time to work. I would think it would at least be worth the phone call.

Old
10-28-2008, 06:45 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Right now, this is really Scott Howson's team to build. Hitch still needs a few key pieces to work with. Next year.

Old
10-28-2008, 07:01 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobieman View Post
I think Hitch is overcoaching right now. He has played too many players out of position just to try to get something going. I was at the duck game last nite and even though we were in control most of the game. It seems like we had no chemistry and guys didn't know who they were skating up the ice with, it seemed like ground hogs day. I hope Scott Howson is looking right now for a center. We needed a top line center all along and he's not on our team yet. Granted, the market didn't bear much this summer, but maybe we should try to find a center that is maybe not happy where he's at now: maybe like Brendan Morrison just for one. I know his trip to the west coast hasn't turned out like he thought as a top six forward. He's not fitting in there for some reason, but we sure could use a seasoned center, that's a fast skater, good passer, more of an assist guy than a scorer, and role player. He's making 2.7 on a one year deal. I think I remember him saying he didn't want to come to Columbus, but I wonder if that's still true, of course Cali weather is tough competition. Umberger is not a center, neither is Nash, and on top of that we got Juice playing right wing when he's been left his whole life. I felt like playing Brassard at #1 center was our only weakest option, that Hitch didn't even give enough time to work. I would think it would at least be worth the phone call.

I think there's something to be said for the "over-coaching".

Old
10-28-2008, 07:39 PM
CBJfan4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Wow, I thought we would make it to Thanksgiving before this thread showed up - but I can't say I disagree with the sentiment. If Chicago can fire Savard three games into the season, we definitely have reasonable cause to fire Hitch nine games in. Chicago showed much more improvement under Savard than the Jackets have under Hitch.
Chicago's committed to winning and spending money like it's a firesale. So firing a coach 3 games in, No big deal. They're mentioned anytime a UFA is available. If they land Sundin I'll puke.

Old
10-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
I think there's something to be said for the "over-coaching".
Agree. I had been trying to put my finger on my thoughts and that term seems to fit best.

Old
10-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Right now, this is really Scott Howson's team to build. Hitch still needs a few key pieces to work with. Next year.
Bingo. And if anyone tries to tell me ONE MORE TIME that Hitch thinks Commodore was a suitable substitute for Foote, or that Backman was a suitable replacement for Hainsey, or that he thinks Huselius is any different a kind of player than Zherdev was ... then I'm going to laugh at them (again) for talking such nonsense. Ugh.

This is Howson's team, not Hitch's. Hitch will win the battle of wills and brainfarts ... but this squad has clearly not "capitulated" yet.

Old
10-28-2008, 08:01 PM
errey21

I think Capn said it, but about December its decision time.

I dont have any answers, but somebody down at Nationwide needs to come up with some quick.

I keep trying to tell myself be patient its an 82 game season, but at this rate, were out by December.

3-6. give them the benefit of the doubt and say 4-6. Give them twenty games at the same pace and 8-12.

Then everyones healthy and we get "chemistry".

to get to 90 pts (probably wont get you in) you need to go 37-25 the rest of the way. a 60% clip.

I paid already, so Im still going to go, but this thing is sinking quickly and they seem to get worse with each game..........

Closed Thread