HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Hitchcock

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-28-2008, 09:13 PM
  #76
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
I think there's something to be said for the "over-coaching".
What do you mean by that, exactly?

Pluckfur is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 09:15 PM
  #77
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,035
vCash: 500
It could be worse. We COULD be watching our team get whacked 6-0 on national TV. Hainsey must have scored all those goals for the other team.

Fortunately, this devolution will NOT be televised (nationally anyway).

leesmith is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 09:26 PM
  #78
Bobcat110
Registered User
 
Bobcat110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
but this squad has clearly not "capitulated" yet.
Word of the day bonus points

Bobcat110 is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 09:31 PM
  #79
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
It could be worse. We COULD be watching our team get whacked 6-0 on national TV. Hainsey must have scored all those goals for the other team.

Fortunately, this devolution will NOT be televised (nationally anyway).
I haven't been watching the Thrash/Flyboys game ... but, I do know that before the game Hainsey was at 2g, 5a and +2. We could use that sort of ability from a guy who Hitch trusted to play at 23+ mins a game last season.

Pluckfur is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 09:37 PM
  #80
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express
 
JF Omalycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 4,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
What do you mean by that, exactly?
Are you going to yell at me if I don't get the answer right?


JF Omalycat is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 09:39 PM
  #81
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
I haven't been watching the Thrash/Flyboys game ... but, I do know that before the game Hainsey was at 2g, 5a and +2. We could use that sort of ability from a guy who Hitch trusted to play at 23+ mins a game last season.
You've stopped just short of saying it so far, but I won't. Unless the new guys dramatically improve their play, HOWSON is the guy that should be fired.

leesmith is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 09:40 PM
  #82
JACKETCUPDREAMS
Registered User
 
JACKETCUPDREAMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
HI Scott H., how are you. Clearly you have not invested in PSL's, season tickets and the time involved to make the effort to attend the pathetic thing called BLUE JACKET hockey. Let me get this straight, you want me to be patient I assume. More like assume the position, like I have for the last seven years. I am a firefighter so if I performed less than I was capable then, well, you know. Once again please do not forget that our SUPER star has yet to get over 72 points and only is consistent when there is no defense ( all-stars and so on). We have mid-range players paired with young, inexperienced players with a potato chip goalie and no back up. If our coach was as good as we wish he was he would still be in Dallas. Sorry, needed to vent. GO JACKETS !

Geez guys/gals, give it some time. No, I don't like the record any more than you all do, but you have to remember the turnover we had last offseason. How many of you were instantly doing 100% of the work you were able to do when you started a job at a new company? Give the team some time to gel, some time to develop chemistry.[/QUOTE]

JACKETCUPDREAMS is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 09:46 PM
  #83
GeorgeHockeyCarlin
 
GeorgeHockeyCarlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Changing the coaching staff may or may not be what this team needs however this franchise doesn't have all the time in the world. What about the approach with line consistency and player selecting. Actually, the handling of alot of players has been very mind boggling. Get rid of the guys who have had more than enough time to prove themselves and nothing. I would really hate to see this team not make playoffs once again.

GeorgeHockeyCarlin is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 09:46 PM
  #84
superstoreboy
 
superstoreboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dieppe,NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Ted Nolan anyone?

superstoreboy is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 09:48 PM
  #85
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express
 
JF Omalycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 4,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstoreboy View Post
Ted Nolan anyone?
Now THERE's an idea. Hmmmm.......

JF Omalycat is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 09:54 PM
  #86
213 Sentinel
Registered User
 
213 Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Marysville, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,383
vCash: 500
We as a fan base appear to be approaching bottom. 23 months ago most of us hailed KH as the CBJ Messiah. Now we have a thread calling for his head.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. However, I really believe H&H are still having to pick up MacLean's Mess. The only thing Hitch may be guilty of is not paying enough attention to the D during camp. LeGrinch's injuries are not anyone's fault, nor are Mason's. We have more depth than we've ever had on offense, and I really believe the Goat Line's success owes more to the attention paid to the #1 line than anything else. I'm not taking anything away from the Goat Line--I'm a huge fan and they're the most exciting part of this team right now, but I truly think the #1 line is getting the most attention, opening up more chances for the 2nd and 3rd lines.

We're having our traditional October troubles, but fire Hitch? Really? If you think it through, who else could we get? Who else would come here? Who else could really make a difference? At some point, we have to do something with what we've got, from management down to the players.

213 Sentinel is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 09:59 PM
  #87
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
You've stopped just short of saying it so far, but I won't. Unless the new guys dramatically improve their play, HOWSON is the guy that should be fired.
You know what? All I'm sure of is that Hitch isn't going to be the one who gets fired. I'm depending on Hitch and Nash to get us out of this mess ... because I see no other good options. I was personally going to save my "Fire Howson" speech until after Christmas." I really think that if Hitch can muscle his way through the problems this squad is having ... we may have a hope. I gotta say though ... I had my fingers crossed in terms of Leclaire's health ... and right now I'm clutching my own damn stick a little tight... we need to work harder as team RIGHT NOW ... and that's really the only thing that I think is going to make a difference in the short term. They have to work harder and be SMARTER.

Pluckfur is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
  #88
Ar-too
Registered User
 
Ar-too's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 10,349
vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by 213 Sentinel View Post
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion. However, I really believe H&H are still having to pick up MacLean's Mess.
That's crap. How many of the defenseman that Maclean signed/drafted are playing for this team? Forwards?

Two of the biggest contributing forwards were drafted by him and the d-corps has been totally overhauled and is still an abomination so far.

This regime has had two off-seasons to get its act together. They sat their first one out and failed in their effort to address the team's needs this time around. That's not DM's fault.

Ar-too is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 10:17 PM
  #89
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
You've stopped just short of saying it so far, but I won't. Unless the new guys dramatically improve their play, HOWSON is the guy that should be fired.
Seriously, how is this Scott Howson's fault? If the guy gets fired its because (1) ownership told him not to spend during the 2007 off-season and (2) he got rid of the guys Hitch couldn't or wouldn't coach and brought in "Hitch guys." Howson was always going to be at a disadvantage because he didn't to get to pick his coach, unlike most GM's, particularly as a first-time GM.

Do tell who Howson could have got in place of the UFA's he picked up that (1) fit Hitch's "system" and (2) wanted to play here--and some don't want to play here precisely because of our "genius" of a coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstoreboy View Post
Ted Nolan anyone?
I love Ted...but he's not the right guy for this job at this time. There's no doubt Ted leans on vets, perhaps even moreso than Hitch. If you have a veteran team, he's a perfect coach and I think someday he may finally get his Cup. But he's not our guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
That's crap. How many of the defenseman that Maclean signed/drafted are playing for this team? Forwards?

Two of the biggest contributing forwards were drafted by him and the d-corps has been totally overhauled and is still an abomination so far.

This regime has had two off-seasons to get its act together. They sat their first one out and failed in their effort to address the team's needs this time around. That's not DM's fault.
I agree. I am still one of DM's harshest critics for how he handled his team (and I'm not a fan of his bitter BS on TV either), but we are past the point of this being primarily his fault.

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 10:31 PM
  #90
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Seriously, how is this Scott Howson's fault? If the guy gets fired its because (1) ownership told him not to spend during the 2007 off-season and (2) he got rid of the guys Hitch couldn't or wouldn't coach and brought in "Hitch guys." Howson was always going to be at a disadvantage because he didn't to get to pick his coach, unlike most GM's, particularly as a first-time GM.

Do tell who Howson could have got in place of the UFA's he picked up that (1) fit Hitch's "system" and (2) wanted to play here--and some don't want to play here precisely because of our "genius" of a coach.



I love Ted...but he's not the right guy for this job at this time. There's no doubt Ted leans on vets, perhaps even moreso than Hitch. If you have a veteran team, he's a perfect coach and I think someday he may finally get his Cup. But he's not our guy.



I agree. I am still one of DM's harshest critics for how he handled his team (and I'm not a fan of his bitter BS on TV either), but we are past the point of this being primarily his fault.
You're spitting into the wind, Capn. Hitch didn't even get Foote ... and he specifically told HOWSON to get him Foote. Howson admitted himself that Hitch was the LONE voice two season's ago that advocated keeping Zherdev on the roster. After what Hitch was able to accomplish with Z last season ... why would it be Hitch who threw a shoe and decided suddenly that Tyutin and Backman were the answer to our scoring woes? Howson has admitted to trying for Richards, Marleau, Jokinen, Vermette at center ... they weren't having any of it... and three of those four guys can't even be laughably referred to as "Hitch" guys. pfffffft. I like the Umberger trade - and he's for damn sure not the reason this team is flailing. Huselius is a good addition ... but again, I submit he's not anything close to a "Hitch" guy and yet he's replaced and is playing the minutes Zherdev used to. It's not that Hitch won't PLAY skilled guys ... he plays skilled guys WHEN HE HAS THEM. It's Howson whose judgement and player acquisition is to be examined and questioned... he's the flippin' GM, afterall.

Furthermore, the games we've lost lately have been because of the PLAY ON THE ICE. When asked, Brassard says categorically that Hitch doesn't change the strategy or start pulling back on the reins in the last ten minutes of a game. And, I suspect Brass would know ... as he was out there last night in the last minute of the game trying desperately (and almost succeeding) to tie up the game.

Stop spitting.

Pluckfur is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 10:34 PM
  #91
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
That's crap. How many of the defenseman that Maclean signed/drafted are playing for this team? Forwards?

Two of the biggest contributing forwards were drafted by him and the d-corps has been totally overhauled and is still an abomination so far.

This regime has had two off-seasons to get its act together. They sat their first one out and failed in their effort to address the team's needs this time around. That's not DM's fault.
Well, Aaron Johnson is 2g and 2a on Chicago's blue line!

Pluckfur is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 10:40 PM
  #92
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Seriously, how is this Scott Howson's fault? If the guy gets fired its because (1) ownership told him not to spend during the 2007 off-season and (2) he got rid of the guys Hitch couldn't or wouldn't coach and brought in "Hitch guys." Howson was always going to be at a disadvantage because he didn't to get to pick his coach, unlike most GM's, particularly as a first-time GM.

Do tell who Howson could have got in place of the UFA's he picked up that (1) fit Hitch's "system" and (2) wanted to play here--and some don't want to play here precisely because of our "genius" of a coach.
First of all, I said "if the new guys don't dramatically improve their play." I'm still hopeful that will happen, but it had better happen soon.

Second, let's grade the early (yes, still very early) returns of Howson's offseason on a pass/fail basis:

COMMODORE: $3.75 million? Only $250,000 less than Hainsey?!? No explanation necessary. FAIL
TYUTIN (for Zherdev): FAIL
BACKMAN (for Fritsche): I know a lot of people here don't like him, but he's not been bad. Of course, he makes WAY too much money for "not bad." FAIL
TORRES (for Brule): Plays one-half of a preseason game before getting injured again. INCOMPLETE
HUSELIUS - On pace for 63 points, will be deadly if the CBJ ever have a shootout. PASS
UMBERGER (essentially for Adam Foote) - on pace for 18 points on the season. Being asked to play center instead of left wing and on first line instead the 2nd or 3rd line. Grade: INCOMPLETE.
PECA - On pace for NINE points. Too many stupid penalties except for when he's serving a suspension. FAIL

In fairness, he should also get credit for:
HEJDA - Whatta find! PASS
NOVOTNY - Good 3rd-4th liner. PASS (albeit of minimal impact)

Lastly, I reject the premise that Howson had to meet those criteria. Several of the guys above do not. I don't have to know which guys would have met your criteria to know these guys aren't getting the job done.


Last edited by leesmith: 10-28-2008 at 10:57 PM.
leesmith is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 11:11 PM
  #93
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Hitch didn't even get Foote ... and he specifically told HOWSON to get him Foote.
Have you gone mad, Pluck? Howson tried to sign that overpaid moron precisely because our coaching wundergeezer wanted him. The ONLY reason he isn't wearing a Jackets jersey is precisely because Adam Foote didn't want to play here. Period.

Quote:
Howson admitted himself that Hitch was the LONE voice two season's ago that advocated keeping Zherdev on the roster. After what Hitch was able to accomplish with Z last season ... why would it be Hitch who threw a shoe and decided suddenly that Tyutin and Backman were the answer to our scoring woes?
Do you not remember Hitch's own comments on his show at the end of last year? All the BS about how Zherdev's East-West style didn't gel with the Jackets personnel and implying that Z might well be the odd man out? Hitch on more than one occasion suggested he was getting exasperated with Z as the season came to a close. I have no doubt it was Hitch who gave Howson the green light to trade Zherdev.

As for our defense, it was Ken Hitchcock who implied that the defense needed an overhall at the end of the season. Tell me that Mike Commodore wasn't a Hitch pick to replace his buddy Adam Foote. Tyutin is another pro-typical Hitch defenseman. Backman...well, I think its pretty obvious that was one of those throw-ins that Howson figured might turn out okay to add some offense since we missed out on getting the big fish in Redden.

Quote:
Howson has admitted to trying for Richards, Marleau, Jokinen, Vermette at center ... they weren't having any of it... and three of those four guys can't even be laughably referred to as "Hitch" guys. pfffffft.
I believe the saying is that beggar's can't be choosers. Seriously, what available #1 center was there that was a "Hitch guy" this off-season? Richards was the closest of those mentioned. Unsurprisingly, he was the one we went after the hardest. Howson tried to get something because clearly we need(ed) a center. He didn't get one, but I doubt it was for lack of trying.

Quote:
Furthermore, the games we've lost lately have been because of the PLAY ON THE ICE. When asked, Brassard says categorically that Hitch doesn't change the strategy or start pulling back on the reins in the last ten minutes of a game. And, I suspect Brass would know ... as he was out there last night in the last minute of the game trying desperately (and almost succeeding) to tie up the game.
He doesn't change the strategy because his strategy is a boring "don't lose" strategy from minute one. Well, they're losing.

Seriously, I don't know how anyone can argue that Hitch has no responsibility for these results. This team is undoubtedly better than what we've had before. I mean, even with Umberger struggling we've got 4 legit top 6 forwards in Nash, Juice, Brass and Voracek. And Chimmer, who in my opinion is not a legit top 6 forward is contributing. Last year it was Nash, Z and a whole lot of role players. Defensively we shouldn't be any worse--Commode is no worse than Foote and Tyutin should, in theory, be able to play better in the defensive zone than Hainsey even if reality is thus far not matching the theory. If the players are better and the result isn't better, how does Hitchcock get off without any blame here after 2 years of implementing his system?!

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 11:17 PM
  #94
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
If the players are better and the result isn't better, how does Hitchcock get off without any blame here after 2 years of implementing his system?!
Because the players really AREN'T better (at least so far). That said, I don't believe Hitch is immune from criticism. I'm just more critical of Howson's performance at this time.

leesmith is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 11:20 PM
  #95
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
First of all, I said "if the new guys don't dramatically improve their play." I'm still hopeful that will happen, but it had better happen soon.

Second, let's grade the early (yes, still very early) returns of Howson's offseason on a pass/fail basis:

COMMODORE: $3.75 million? Only $250,000 less than Hainsey?!? No explanation necessary. FAIL
TYUTIN (for Zherdev): FAIL
BACKMAN (for Fritsche): I know a lot of people here don't like him, but he's not been bad. Of course, he makes WAY too much money for "not bad." FAIL
TORRES (for Brule): Plays one-half of a preseason game before getting injured again. INCOMPLETE
HUSELIUS - On pace for 63 points, will be deadly if the CBJ ever have a shootout. PASS
UMBERGER (essentially for Adam Foote) - on pace for 18 points on the season. Being asked to play center instead of left wing and on first line instead the 2nd or 3rd line. Grade: INCOMPLETE.
PECA - On pace for NINE points. Too many stupid penalties except for when he's serving a suspension. FAIL

In fairness, he should also get credit for:
HEJDA - Whatta find! PASS
NOVOTNY - Good 3rd-4th liner. PASS (albeit of minimal impact)

Lastly, I reject the premise that Howson had to meet those criteria. Several of the guys above do not. I don't have to know which guys would have met your criteria to know these guys aren't getting the job done.
Your grading system is flawed because it fails to take into account one minor detail. Howson acquires the players. He doesn't coach them. If Howson goes out and trades Rick Nash for Alex Ovechkin and Ovechkin then fails to score 10 goals because of how Ken Hitchcock plays him, was it a bad trade by Howson or poor use of resources by Ken Hitchcock?

Scott Howson also acquired Nikita Filatov, a draft pick some people think may turn out to be as good as Steve Stamkos. Filatov has more goals than Stamkos. But Filatov is in Syracuse while Stamkos is playing on Tampa Bay's power play.

Ken Hitchcock says that the players will compete for their jobs. Kris Russell plays as good or better than Klesla, Commode and Tyutin...and gets sent to Syracuse after coach tries him out as a forward. Filatov scores a goal in his first game and has his playing time continually reduced until he's mercifully sent to Syracuse. Jason Chimera still sits on our second line.

The game has passed that old man by and now we need to send him to the nursing home.

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 11:29 PM
  #96
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Have you gone mad, Pluck? Howson tried to sign that overpaid moron precisely because our coaching wundergeezer wanted him. The ONLY reason he isn't wearing a Jackets jersey is precisely because Adam Foote didn't want to play here. Period.
Hitch and the team wanted him ... it was going to take 2x 4mil to get him, that's what Foote AND Howson both maintained. Howson punted.

Are you telling me Commodore is worth the money but Foote wasn't? If that's the case ... then I'm going to flat out go with the idea that I'm not the nutball around here Besides, YOU'VE JUST PROVEN the point I've been making: This team is NOT designed by HITCH - it's HOWSON'S maniacal, misguided, misdirected brainchild.


Quote:
Do you not remember Hitch's own comments on his show at the end of last year? All the BS about how Zherdev's East-West style didn't gel with the Jackets personnel and implying that Z might well be the odd man out? Hitch on more than one occasion suggested he was getting exasperated with Z as the season came to a close. I have no doubt it was Hitch who gave Howson the green light to trade Zherdev.
And, so how do you figure Huselius wormed his way onto this team? Probably not on Hitch's say-so, huh? Honestly.

Quote:
As for our defense, it was Ken Hitchcock who implied that the defense needed an overhall at the end of the season. Tell me that Mike Commodore wasn't a Hitch pick to replace his buddy Adam Foote. Tyutin is another pro-typical Hitch defenseman. Backman...well, I think its pretty obvious that was one of those throw-ins that Howson figured might turn out okay to add some offense since we missed out on getting the big fish in Redden.
We've just been over this ... by your own admission Hitch wanted Foote, NOT Commodore. Hitch repeatedly said that the transition game of the Jackets from the back end and a #1 center were the main area's of concern that needed to be addressed in the offseason. REDDEN again! hello, we offered him more money than anyone else... maybe Hitch wanted him here, Howson SURELY DID and yet ... even if Redden had been persuaded to sign, could you actually call the guy a "HITCH" player without choking on your own laughter? Hitch didn't build this roster with "his" kind of players ... they were HOWSON'S choices!



Quote:
I believe the saying is that beggar's can't be choosers. Seriously, what available #1 center was there that was a "Hitch guy" this off-season? Richards was the closest of those mentioned. Unsurprisingly, he was the one we went after the hardest. Howson tried to get something because clearly we need(ed) a center. He didn't get one, but I doubt it was for lack of trying.
I said all this myself! Richards okay'd the Columbus deal ... Richards was willing to come play with Nash and for Hitch ... it's HOWSON who couldn't swing the flippin' deal. NOT HITCH'S FAULT!


Quote:
He doesn't change the strategy because his strategy is a boring don't lose" strategy from minute one. Well, they're losing.
Yep, 'cuz the guys Howson signed aren't nearly as good at playing "Hitch hockey" as they guys Howson let go were.

Quote:
Seriously, I don't know how anyone can argue that Hitch has no responsibility for these results. This team is undoubtedly better than what we've had before. I mean, even with Umberger struggling we've got 4 legit top 6 forwards in Nash, Juice, Brass and Voracek. And Chimmer, who in my opinion is not a legit top 6 forward is contributing. Last year it was Nash, Z and a whole lot of role players. Defensively we shouldn't be any worse--Commode is no worse than Foote and Tyutin should, in theory, be able to play better in the defensive zone than Hainsey even if reality is thus far not matching the theory. If the players are better and the result isn't better, how does Hitchcock get off without any blame here after 2 years of implementing his system?!
I didn't say that Hitch doesn't bear some responsibility in the success OR the lack of success this team shows. What I'm not finding evidence for in your argument, or in the record, is why we have to blame Hitch for not only Hitch's failures but for Howson's failures as well.

Not very sporting of you, Sport.

Pluckfur is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 11:33 PM
  #97
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Because the players really AREN'T better (at least so far). That said, I don't believe Hitch is immune from criticism. I'm just more critical of Howson's performance at this time.
Really? You really want to argue the players aren't better so far? Seriously, Lee, look at these stats and tell me you still feel that way...

Top 5 offensive players 2008-09 (Pace)

Brassard 27 goals 36 assists 64 points
Chimera 27 goals 36 assists 64 points
Huselius 27 goals 36 assists 64 points
Voracek 27 goals 36 assists 64 points
Nash 46 goals 9 assists 55 points

Top 5 offensive playes 2007-08 (actual)

Nash 38 goals 31 assists 69 points
Zherdev 26 goals 35 assists 61 points
Peca 8 goals 26 assists 34 points
Hainsey 8 goals 24 assists 32 points
Chimera 14 goals 17 assists 31 points

We're on pace to have at least 5 guys with more than 20 goals and 50 points. We had 2 players do that last year. As a side note, Christian Backman is on pace to do better than Ron Hainsey did in goals, assists and about the same in plus/minus. So, you can say "Fail" but he costs $1.1 million less than Ron and he's become another convenient scape goat though he's outperforming Tyutin who was supposed to be the crown jewel of that trade and improve our transition.

Now, tell me again, with all of that added offensive firepower, how is this coach still losing more than he wins?

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 11:33 PM
  #98
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,444
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstoreboy View Post
Ted Nolan anyone?
He would scare Howson on the first handsake... Howson does not strike me as being a rah-rah type guy. He seems to be more of a stay the course all will be fine type guy to me...oh well.

Robert is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 11:35 PM
  #99
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Your grading system is flawed because it fails to take into account one minor detail. Howson acquires the players. He doesn't coach them. If Howson goes out and trades Rick Nash for Alex Ovechkin and Ovechkin then fails to score 10 goals because of how Ken Hitchcock plays him, was it a bad trade by Howson or poor use of resources by Ken Hitchcock?
Both. It would be a trade that didn't need to be made, a trade that didn't improve the team and we'd be stuck with how many more years on Ovechkin's contract?!? I stand by my grades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Scott Howson also acquired Nikita Filatov, a draft pick some people think may turn out to be as good as Steve Stamkos. Filatov has more goals than Stamkos. But Filatov is in Syracuse while Stamkos is playing on Tampa Bay's power play.
"may turn out to be as good as" does not equal "as good as." Filatov scored ONE goal in a mostly wide open net. He's a boy among men until he fills out his frame a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Kris Russell plays as good or better than Klesla, Commode and Tyutin
Wow. Let me go back and read that again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Kris Russell plays as good or better than Klesla, Commode and Tyutin
Still, wow. (just clownin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Kris Russell plays as good or better than Klesla, Commode and Tyutin
Even if we agreed that were true, he doesn't play "as good as" Methot.

leesmith is offline  
Old
10-28-2008, 11:37 PM
  #100
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,444
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Really? You really want to argue the players aren't better so far? Seriously, Lee, look at these stats and tell me you still feel that way...

Top 5 offensive players 2008-09 (Pace)

Brassard 27 goals 36 assists 64 points
Chimera 27 goals 36 assists 64 points
Huselius 27 goals 36 assists 64 points
Voracek 27 goals 36 assists 64 points
Nash 46 goals 9 assists 55 points

Top 5 offensive playes 2007-08 (actual)

Nash 38 goals 31 assists 69 points
Zherdev 26 goals 35 assists 61 points
Peca 8 goals 26 assists 34 points
Hainsey 8 goals 24 assists 32 points
Chimera 14 goals 17 assists 31 points

We're on pace to have at least 5 guys with more than 20 goals and 50 points. We had 2 players do that last year. As a side note, Christian Backman is on pace to do better than Ron Hainsey did in goals, assists and about the same in plus/minus. So, you can say "Fail" but he costs $1.1 million less than Ron and he's become another convenient scape goat though he's outperforming Tyutin who was supposed to be the crown jewel of that trade and improve our transition.

Now, tell me again, with all of that added offensive firepower, how is this coach still losing more than he wins?
Those are nice numbers but no team can win giving up 4 or 5 goals a game. Hitchcock had to shift to the defense.... In all honesty, Leclaire's inability to play 1 game without being injured is killing us..

Robert is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.