HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Embelishment or Legit? You be the judge!

Old
10-28-2008, 08:57 AM
Sony Eriksson*

vCash: 500
Embelishment or Legit? You be the judge!

I was surfing Youtube and came across an interesting video!

What i find funny is the amount of people (Mostly Montreal fans) that constantly post the infamous Ribeiro dive when a thread has his name in the title. Now he was 100% guilty of that dive and it was horrible on his part..i am not excusing that. However what i find funny is that all the Ribeiro bashing due to his flop that people forget Kovalev seems just as guilty. The one while he was on the Rangers (which is this clip) is pretty damn bad as well.

You be the judge....Embelishment or Legit

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:03 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Well, this isn't exactly new territory. This comes up alot when discussing Kovalev's character and career. In any case I think it has been estalished that these are both pretty big embelishments.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Squeaky

I can't really tell what happened in the Rags clip in that awful, awful video...aren't they playing against the Nordiques? Is that really still relevant? Isn't the bit where he's playing for the Habs is a play where he broke a bone in his hand? I'd call it legit, I guess.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
I can't really tell what happened in the Rags clip in that awful, awful video...aren't they playing against the Nordiques? Is that really still relevant? Isn't the bit where he's playing for the Habs is a play where he broke a bone in his hand? I'd call it legit, I guess.
Sorry for the video...i could not find a better one. The one in the Rangers uniform a player love tapped Kovalev with a one-handed girly slash and he went down like a sack of potatoes.

Old
10-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Are you a closet Habs fan or do you just enjoy talking about them every chance you get?

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:13 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I'm not sure how proving that Kovalev was a joke on that play makes Ribeiro's play any better.

What a strange thread.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:13 AM
Beakermania*

Why exactly are we discussing these plays from 2004 and 1995?? Haven't they been discussed to death already??

Every team in the league has players on it who dive, if you think they don't you are deluding yourself. Yes some dives are worse than others, and some divers are worse than others, but I'm curious as to why things from 5 seasons ago (if we count the lockout) and 14 seasons ago are still relevant today. Even the ribeiro flop is not relevant anymore IMO.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:18 AM
eraserhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
Well, this isn't exactly new territory. This comes up alot when discussing Kovalev's character and career. In any case I think it has been estalished that these are both pretty big embelishments.
Pretty much. Kovalev is certainly known to dive and fake from time to time, but nothing beats the fish out of water Ribero crap.

eraserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Are you a closet Habs fan or do you just enjoy talking about them every chance you get?
I like the Habs but i came across this video when searching Youtube for "hockey dives". I figured it was a video that should be posted due to the overwhelming Ribeiro dive incident that has been rehashed over the last 5 years. The first thing that comes to the minds of Hab fans when Ribeiro is mentioned is his infamous dive is it not? So when someone calls into question a current Hab and his character it is all of a sudden forbidden path? Im not posting this video to bash Montreal in any way. Im just posting this to get peoples opinions on it...hence the title of the thread " Embelishment or Legit? You be the judge!"

Old
10-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Why exactly are we discussing these plays from 2004 and 1995?? Haven't they been discussed to death already??

Every team in the league has players on it who dive, if you think they don't you are deluding yourself. Yes some dives are worse than others, and some divers are worse than others, but I'm curious as to why things from 5 seasons ago (if we count the lockout) and 14 seasons ago are still relevant today. Even the ribeiro flop is not relevant anymore IMO.
I couldn't recall seeing this video of Kovalev so i figured i would post it and get peoples take on it. Ribeiro gets flak in almost every single thread that his name is plastered on. The first thing people post is the video of his dive. This is not to say "ha ha (insert team) are hypocrites" ...it is just to get people take on the video itself!

Old
10-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
I like the Habs but i came across this video when searching Youtube for "hockey dives". I figured it was a video that should be posted due to the overwhelming Ribeiro dive incident that has been rehashed over the last 5 years. The first thing that comes to the minds of Hab fans when Ribeiro is mentioned is his infamous dive is it not? So when someone calls into question a current Hab and his character it is all of a sudden forbidden path? Im not posting this video to bash Montreal in any way. Im just posting this to get peoples opinions on it...hence the title of the thread " Embelishment or Legit? You be the judge!"
Not for me.

I don't know whats the point of this thread. Just admit you're just trying to stir the pot.

And for what its worth, and I probably speak for most habs fans, I haven't seen Kovalev dive or embelish anything since that ''incident' in 04.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
Not for me.

I don't know whats the point of this thread. Just admit you're just trying to stir the pot.

And for what its worth, and I probably speak for most habs fans, I haven't seen Kovalev dive or embelish anything since that ''incident' in 04.
I should of worded it "A lot of Hab fans"...I know not all Hab fans think that. Im not trying to stir anything up at all. Is any video that happens to contain a Habs player considered stirring the pot? I think not! Just trying to gauge people input on said video!

Old
10-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I couldn't recall seeing this video of Kovalev so i figured i would post it and get peoples take on it. Ribeiro gets flak in almost every single thread that his name is plastered on. The first thing people post is the video of his dive. This is not to say "ha ha (insert team) are hypocrites" ...it is just to get people take on the video itself!
at the time it was widely believed that kovalev made a big mistake on the play in question during... however it was later learned that he broke a bone in his hand on the play so i wouldn't call it embellishment.

For the Ranger play... yeah that was an awful dive... it was also very early in Kovalev's career. He has been widely criticized for it in the media. However it never became the defining moment of his career in a Ranger uniform the way the ribeiro fish out of water play became a defining moment for him as a hab. Has he dove since then? Yes, but I haven't seen anything as blatant as the ranger/new york dive.

What people forget in both these instances of plays by Kovalev is how he was a major part in his team winning the series in both occassions after the dive happened. Perhaps more fans would've forgiven Ribeiro if he lit it up in the following games against boston or tampa, but he didn't.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:37 AM
AD

No way this thread ends well...

The op might be innocent.. but there is nowhere near the necessary level of maturity on these boards for this thread to end well.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post

The op might be innocent.. but there is nowhere near the necessary level of maturity on these boards for this thread to end well.
But he's not, he is full of ****. I've seen him around the boards and I know what his story is. A lot of Hab fans (and other fans for that matter) make fun of Mike Ribeiro. This guy's username use to be Ribs63, I only remember this because of his constant trolling against the Habs. So I'm guessing he feels that since everyone is making fun of little old Ribs then he thought why not try and get them on Kovalev's case.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:41 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I like the Habs
hahahahahahahahaha

It's funny because you used to be a pretty cool poster before you made it your life's mission to bring down the Habs and everything associated with them.

What's the point of this? Any sane Hab fan knows Ribeiro was diving and any sane Hab fan knows Kovalev was embellishing on the Boston slash.

However when he helped eliminate the Nordiques with that other dive, he was just proving he was a Hab at heart all along

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I'm not sure how proving that Kovalev was a joke on that play makes Ribeiro's play any better.

What a strange thread.
Indeed. I'd even swap the word 'strange' for 'idiotic'. The OP conveniently forgot the 10 year span between the Nordique incident and him joining the Habs. I guess his point is that Hab fans are supposed to hold a grudge from something that happened a decade ago while forgetting all the charity work he does for the city of Montreal, let alone his excellent playoff stats.

There's no comparing him trying to sell a slashing penalty to Ribeiro's fish-out of-water act either. Nobody is harder on Montreal's players that it's own fan base & media, so if there's anything to hold against a player we'd be all over him long before any HF troll would.

I wish Ribs the best of luck in Dallas, and I'm glad he's matured to be the player people thought he could become. The OP, on the other hand, well I think I just figured out what his 'addiction' really is.

I guess I could summarize by saying a big, fat 'DURRRR'.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 10-28-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Riffo*

It's a tradition for many NHL fans to trash their former players as if they had never done anything for them when 20,000 fans were cheering for them every game of the previous season.

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Julien View Post
It's a tradition for many NHL fans to trash their former players as if they had never done anything for them when 20,000 fans were cheering for them every game of the previous season.
Yes but Ribeiro actually did deserve to be trashed for his antics & sub-par* play when Koivu was injured(twice). He was only a fraction of the player he is today.

*crappy

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:55 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
No way this thread ends well...

I have to agree, this will get uglier before it gets prettier. I can see others pouring through the youtube library bringing up dives from Dallas players from years ago and vice versa.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:59 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Quote:
I figured it was a video that should be posted due to the overwhelming Ribeiro dive incident that has been rehashed over the last 5 years.
Bolded for emphasis.

On that note, it's awesome to see those Nordiques jerseys... *sigh*

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
But he's not, he is full of ****. I've seen him around the boards and I know what his story is. A lot of Hab fans (and other fans for that matter) make fun of Mike Ribeiro. This guy's username use to be Ribs63, I only remember this because of his constant trolling against the Habs. So I'm guessing he feels that since everyone is making fun of little old Ribs then he thought why not try and get them on Kovalev's case.
You know what they say about assumptions don't you?

I like the Habs i really do. What gets to me the most is the overwhelming inability for some to be objective. That is why i make posts that may seem trolling to some but are not intended that way. That again goes back to the failure of some to be objective and accept that not everyone agrees on the same exact views. It seems that if you do not agree with the consensus of people then your are labeled wrongly. Again this post is not to stir up any crap...like i said i found this video (that i was unaware of) and figured i would post it to get peoples comments...I guess that since Kovalev is a current Habs player i should of taken into consideration that those individuals that have trouble being objective would see this as an attack when that was not my intention.

Old
10-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Spectaculard

Just because you haven't seen that video doesn't mean everyone else hasn't. The incident has been debated to death.

Old
10-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
Just because you haven't seen that video doesn't mean everyone else hasn't. The incident has been debated to death.
And that has stopped thousands of people making threads like this before?

Old
10-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Spectaculard

Quote:
And that has stopped thousands of people making threads like this before?
Nop.