HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brutal Fans to Sit in Front of

Old
10-28-2008, 01:26 PM
HotToddy

vCash: 500
Please, please, please do not strike a conversation during play about some event or topic in your life.

Yesterday's losers spent the first 10 minutes of the 1st describing his 2nd beer league goal of the year.

When the building is subdued and play is on it is @#@*#&@* annoying to have someone carry on a non hockey conversation behind you.

That's what commercial stoppages are for. Or the lounge.

Last year I had two girls behind me talk about Ann Taylor spring clothing line for 20 minutes, I finally snapped and told them to exit to the #$*#$* lounge.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Hunt4Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
First names drive me nuts too. Also people who use "we" when talking about the team.
What's wrong with we? It is our team after all, I do believe we pay the salaries am I right? Without us, they wouldn't have a team.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Speedo

It seems that there are those who interpret 'freedom of speech' with 'obligation to speak'. Combine that with a guy who has a half dozen beers down range with the apparent potential to impress some little vixen beside him and you've a recipe for one real long game. I'm with the guy who posted he'd as soon stay home sometimes.

Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:57 PM
josra33

While I have never been to an Oilers game. Im from Southern California. I was at last mondays Kings game against the Aves. I told some guy that he should practice rooting for Tavares. He basically threw his beer at my girlfriend. Stupid Kings Fans. Cant even hit there original target.

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:59 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

Having Scott Ferguson's cousin sitting in front of you is always a good time. Especially when he gets so upset from everyone pointing out how terrible he is, that he wants to fight someone... Those were the good old days...

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:04 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
Here's some more:
b)Kids restlessly kicking the backrest. I know it's only kids my blood pressure goes up to 180/60 when they do this. You'd think the parents would clue-in at some point and tell them to stop.
I hate that too. When I was at the Oilers/Canucks game here this kid behind me kept hitting me in the head with this little flag they handed out. All I kept hearing from the parents were "honey please don't do that". You would think after the 10th time they would just take the flag away from the girl.

Felt like turning around and screaming at the little girl, but figured that wouldn't go over well.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:07 PM
dmrego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
During last nights game possibly the most stupid, negative, whiner of a fan was sitting behind me. Not one positive word came from his putrid mouth all night, and here are some highlights of what this bozo had to say:

It's 1 minute into the game and Boston is leading in shots 3-0:
"look at the shot clock, they are already down can't they do anything?"

When Souray made one of his many great poke checks on the night:
"Why won't Souray hit, what a bum come on do something!"

If MacT put out any of the bottom two lines:
"It's a 0-0 game, why is Brodziak on the ice he can't win a faceoff if his life depended on it! (Brodziak wins the faceoff) "see he lost another draw he can't do anyting!"

If you remember at one point in the game Staios rushed the puck in after a penalty kill and nearly scored a goal on a quick backhand:
"Why would Staios rush in like that instead of just chipping it in?"

And as anyone probably could have guessed if someone passed instead of shot, he nearly had a heart attack, and when someone took a shot that they probably shouldn't have taken he flipps out because they miss the net.

If a breakout was lost to Boston's trap he would go sideways and call X defenseman useless because he "botched another breakout"

There are many, many more examples, but these are the ones that came to me just now. How can someone be like this? And of course he doesn't say it quietly to his wife beside him (who didn't know a hockey stick from a baseball bat), but he yells it in the whiniest tone you can imagine.

Does anyone else have any fan horror stories?
I'll take that fan over the two guys I sat in front of for last night's game in a second. My business partner and I counted EXACTLY 5 seconds of silence between the two of them. I am NOT KIDDING when I tell you they didn't shut up for the ENTIRE game! They were so in 'sync' with each other that one began to talk as the other finished his thought. It was like listening to my iPod in crossfade mode. If I weren't so tired and worn out from a long hectic week (let alone a season ticket holder) I would have turned around removed both my shoes and socks and stuffed them in each of their mouths...

I mean really... why even bother coming to a game if you aren't gonna watch it? I'd rather hear someone ***** about how bad they think players and the team are... at least I know they are watching the game...

my 2 cents...

Last edited by dmrego: 10-28-2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: incomplete sentence... LOL
dmrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Finger Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by josra33 View Post
I was at last mondays Kings game against the Aves. I told some guy that he should practice rooting for Tavares. He basically threw his beer at my girlfriend. Stupid Kings Fans.
Yeah, definitely stupid. Drink the beer and throw a program or something. How uncanadian of him.

Had to chuckle about the Tavares joke and I appreciate that some fans rooting for the visitor are going to be giving some some good-natured ribbing, but there's obviously a difference between having fun with a rivalry and baiting/abuse. In case that thin line is unclear, just remember the simple formula: mocking Oilers = bad, mocking anyone else = heroic.

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Hamburgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by King4aday View Post
What's wrong with we? It is our team after all, I do believe we pay the salaries am I right? Without us, they wouldn't have a team.
I can't stand when people use "we" when describing something a team does. Unless you are actually a part of the organization, you are not part of the team.

Do you refer to every store that you buy something at as "ours" or its employees as "we"?

"Wow, we really stacked the shelves well today at our Safeway".

"Boooooooo. We should bring in more asparagus to our IGA. Boooooo."

Idiots. You're paying their salary too, but somehow sports teams are different??

Last edited by Hamburgers: 10-28-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Hamburgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:38 PM
The Reasoner

I'd say it's the people in front that bother me more. Especially when it is someone like 10 rows down leaning forward in their seat that causes a chain reaction of leaners. I tap the guy and front and say "can you lean back." After having to do it a couple times he says "I can't see if I lean back." I'm like "yeah, I know, you should tell the guy in front of you to lean back so that you can see as well..."

The Reasoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:06 PM
OntOilFan

I would say those who yelled "SHOOT" last night had a point.

How many times did Hemsky or Cole dipsy doodle around three guys only to get pokechecked or pass it off to someone way out of position.

Terrible.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:07 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgers View Post
I can't stand when people use "we" when describing something a team does. Unless you are actually a part of the organization, you are not part of the team.

Do you refer to every store that you buy something at as "ours" or its employees as "we"?

Idiots. You're paying their salary too, but somehow sports teams are different??
Why are you so angry about this?

I think it's fine. Fans of sports teams naturally take some ownership in the team. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:20 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post

I think it's fine. Fans of sports teams naturally take some ownership in the team. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
Agreed. I am really guilty of saying we when talking about the Oilers. I have noticed it more lately and wonder if its because I am trying to bother the flames fans around here... I mean i consciously try to bother them from time to time. Why not subconsciously?

BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Hamburgers

Quote:

I'm not angry about it, I just think its stupid. I have friends who do it and I tell them they're idiots for doing it. We all take some emotional ownership in our favourite team's performance or we wouldn't pay the money we do to go to a game or scour message boards, but that's different than portraying yourself as part of the team.

Old
10-28-2008, 03:45 PM
little miss oiler

I've never been to a game but one thing that drives me nuts (just watching on my tv) is the people in the front row that stand up & bang on the glass whenever the play comes anywhere near them. I have dubbed them hairless gorillas because that's what they remind me of. What the hell is the point in that?????? Do they really think the players will stop what they're doing???? In the playoffs vs. the Ducks there was one guy that always wore a bright orange sweater & did it EVERY SINGLE TIME they skated by. I always thought if I ever ended up at a game in Anaheim I'd like to sit right behind that guy & when he stood up to bang the glass I'd just kind of kick him face-first into it.
GRRRRR.

little miss oiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:46 PM
JohnAlexander

Quote:

I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with OOF on something but here it is.

I'm actually pretty shocked at some of the venting going on in this thread.

To start with this "we" and "our" business, as OOF is pointing out here the fan relationship with a sports team is completely different than the relationship one has with something like a retail outlet. Fans are well within their right to assert pride of association with their favorite hockey team as what makes that relationship even possible in the first place is that fans own emotional response to the team.

The entity that is "the Oilers" transcends any group of particular players or workers employed by the organization. It's an entity which exists in the public sphere where anyone is welcome to associate themselves with it as much or as little as they please.

If you want to try and keep yourself and the team at a purely subject/object level then fine I suppose, although I think that definitely can lead to taking some of the fun out of it, but please have respect for those of us who consider association with this team to be more than some emotionless void.

Sigh this is getting long already.

I suppose I'd throw up a similar argument to those thinking it's wrong to address players by their names when cheering for them. For me that's a part of how I enjoy the game. When I'm at home, a bar or a stadium I cheer the players on by saying things like "allright Shelly", "way to go Bobby" at what seem appropriate time such as after a good play.

Personally I thought that was/should be an encouraged behavior at hockey games. There is nothing obnoxious about it and ultimately you're doing what one would expect many fans to do...cheering on your team and it's players. Perhaps most importantly for me it makes the game more enjoyable...being able to relate to the players and even perhaps live somewhat vicariously through them is one of the great draws and joys of being a fan in the first place.

Lastly, and I realize that this is a vent thread for many of you to blow off this steam you have saved up, but seriously the ways some of you depict conducting yourselves is just wrong to me.

If someone is doing something at a game or in any situation that bothers you, for God sakes just politely alert them to it as soon as possible!

I mean seriously if a kid is kicking your chair and you just sit there steaming about how bad it is and how the parents should control them, and then either snap at them after you've had it or go home furious to later vent somewhere like here, then I'd say you're probably behaving worse than they were or at least not doing anything positive.

Is it really that hard to extend people some kindness if they're inadvertently inconveniencing you in some way?

Now I'll agree if you ask them politely to do something and they flat out refuse or are in turn rude to you then the situation goes down a completely different path.

But if you're not even willing to try those first steps then I really think you've got no right to be here complaining.

JohnAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Wow...........harsh. I think most fans of most sports in most cities like to take a bit of an "ownership" role in a team. It's why they spend thousands of dollars by choice, and watch the games by choice, and wear the teams hats, jerseys etc.. And in everyday life, I think at some point we all refer to something like a grocery store nearby as my store., because it's the one nearest us, and the one we shop at. Or, my school. Or, my church. Not sure what the big deal is.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Hamburgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlexander View Post
I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with OOF on something but here it is.

I'm actually pretty shocked at some of the venting going on in this thread.

To start with this "we" and "our" business, as OOF is pointing out here the fan relationship with a sports team is completely different than the relationship one has with something like a retail outlet. Fans are well within their right to assert pride of association with their favorite hockey team as what makes that relationship even possible in the first place is that fans own emotional response to the team.

The entity that is "the Oilers" transcends any group of particular players or workers employed by the organization. It's an entity which exists in the public sphere where anyone is welcome to associate themselves with it as much or as little as they please.

If you want to try and keep yourself and the team at a purely subject/object level then fine I suppose, although I think that definitely can lead to taking some of the fun out of it, but please have respect for those of us who consider association with this team to be more than some emotionless void.
So, do you associate yourself with your favourite bands, authors, artists that you have an emotional bond with? "Hey Pantera, that was a great album we made".

I completely undersand getting caught up in the emotion of a hockey game - that's why its such a great sport and why I played it for 20 years. Hell, I even have a couple of Oiler jerseys in my closet. It makes me part of the "fanbase", not the team. We are fans - we are not the Oilers.

Old
10-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
So, do you associate yourself with your favourite bands, authors, artists that you have an emotional bond with? "Hey Pantera, that was a great album we made".

I completely undersand getting caught up in the emotion of a hockey game - that's why its such a great sport and why I played it for 20 years. Hell, I even have a couple of Oiler jerseys in my closet. It makes me part of the "fanbase", not the team. We are fans - we are not the Oilers.
Did you own the school you went to? Did you ever call it "my school?"

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post

If you remember at one point in the game Staios rushed the puck in after a penalty kill and nearly scored a goal on a quick backhand:
"Why would Staios rush in like that instead of just chipping it in?"

I have come to the conclusion from this that it was in fact, Kelly Buchburger taking a break and enjoying the game from the stands.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Pressure
Tier 1,2 and 3 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
Agreed. I am really guilty of saying we when talking about the Oilers. I have noticed it more lately and wonder if its because I am trying to bother the flames fans around here... I mean i consciously try to bother them from time to time. Why not subconsciously?
As far as I'm concerned it's WE all the time. This is OUR team. I root the Oilers, I support them and am in many ways connected. So in my opinion it's my team as much as the player who wears the jersey with the logo. I got no gripes about it. And I have no idea why anyone would have a problem with it. Seems close minded to me.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Jarri17

I can relate to the op ... 2005/06 had a loud mouth sitting behind us ( I had tickets to about 15 games of a season pack). He shouted at least once a game "Fire Mactavish" (from row 36, this is just trying to get attention) ... never cheered a goal ... made comments some really wrong that any hockey fan over 5 would know better ("why isn't the number one line on the power play?" after they just had a 45 second shift that drew the penalty ) ... aliented the people next to him that knew him. If that was his idea of enjoying a game ... man I'd hate to see him in a unpleasant environment ... and this was every game, no matter the score or the way the Oilers played.
At different games, several people (including myself) tried in different ways to get him to clam up ... never did much beyond a period or so. Guess he was steam rolled during the playoff run.

Idiots being rude to fans of other fans ... especially the alcohol lubricated "tough guys" harrasing kids or being too cool by being lude to anything female.

Jarri17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Sayuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
Here's some more:
a) Fans behind me flexing the backrest, then relaxing, flexing, relaxing then push push repeat. I'm a tall guy too but I never bother the people in front of me by resting my knees on the backrest, worse trying to use it as a Schwarzenegger workout program.
b)Kids restlessly kicking the backrest. I know it's only kids my blood pressure goes up to 180/60 when they do this. You'd think the parents would clue-in at some point and tell them to stop.

c) Toronto fan in front of me who needs a God damned huge effing flag waving around so as I can't see the play.

d) just the pure ************* of Vancouver fans overall.

Gotta take my meds here I'm getting worked up Jackie Gleason style.
I don't want to split hairs but I'm a fairly short woman and can't touch the ground flat footed in any of the seats at rexall expect for the lower bowl ones. Now I always try and be very careful about not bothering the people in front of me but it is extremely uncomfortable to sit with your feet just hanging for upwards of 2 1/2 hours. Just saying some people do it for comfort but then again these are probably the people who would try and make sure you didn't notice, and the guys who bother you with their knees have no excuse.

Sayuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 05:04 PM
ca phe sua da
Craig's on it

here's mine.

People in the lower bowl that HAVE to stand up and waive at the camera when the play is in their end.

ca phe sua da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 05:04 PM
JohnAlexander

Quote:

Again you seem to be equating the Oilers with very arbitrary examples. For starters solo artists and authors are individuals and that's instantly a different context altogether.

While a band involves multiple people its not even in the same realm as the whole of the Oilers organization. There are so many differences that could be listed but what it boils down to for me is that "Pantera" is purely a group of individuals and is not in and of itself a separate entity.

Meanwhile the Oilers are a completely separate entity, comprised of the work, effort and support of an ever changing group of people that spans decades of time.

The Oilers are infinitely more public than any individual band.

I really think you're trying to objectify something that is not simply an object.

JohnAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote