HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The most UNDER RATED player in the NHL

Old
10-29-2008, 02:05 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Paul Stastny.

Yes, he's good, but I don't think people realize how good he is until they watch him play a full game. All we see on the Avs board are the oppponent's fans telling us how impressed they were with him and that he was better than they thought.

He really does everything. He takes more face-offs than Sakic now. Kills penalties. Blocks shots and takes the body. SUPERB playmaker. Gifted hands. Best of all... a proper head on his shoulders. He is smart, understands the game, and has respect for opponents, teammates, and coaches.
Ill agree with you to a lesser extent. Stastny is not often talked about throughout the league. With colorodo not being the stanley cup favorites they were back with roy in net the avs often fly under the radar. Stastny is a hell of a player and errytime I watch the avs I'm more impressed.

My votes go to chris osgood and js giguere. Both are goalies who for some reason seem to get disrespected often around hfboards. Neither goalies have the best stats but are money come playoff time. Its funny especially to hear about giguere being a garbage goalie when he has what most goalies in the league don't have and that's a stanley cup and a conn smythe in 2 seperate years. The year before the ducks won the cup giguere led the ducks to the western conference finals against the oilers. With the ducks run to the finals being so unexpected I think much like jonathon cheechoos rocket richard win it made him an easy target to try and dismiss his acomplishments and used this to give all the credit to his michelline man like pads.

Chris osgood has 3 cups while being the main man for 2 of these cups. Last year especially osgood was huge. Dominik hasek starts the playoffs as the wings starting goaltender but after letting in softgoals against nashville got benched and in came osgood who took over and never looked back. Fans try and penalize osgood for riding the coattails of a great team but even great teams with **** goalies aren't going to win a cup.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:10 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Minnesota? Small hockey market?

I'm not going to be a d-bag and laugh at you, but come on dude...
I'd call minnesota a small market team. Sure minnys a great hockey town and they have good fans but how often do you hear the wild be talked about on hfboards and on national hockey tv broadcasts. The wild and their players fly under the radar.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:27 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
I'll make a homer pick and go with Paul Martin. Nobody ever mentions him but he has been tremendous for the Devils so far this season. He's our #1 guy and plays in all situations. He's smart with and without the puck and is becoming more confident in his ability to start the offense with a pass or a skate up the ice. I'm very confident when he has to go into the corners to retrieve the puck because he's so smart. He avoids getting drilled all the time and often makes forecheckers look foolish. He's one of my favorite Devils in the lineup this year.
Nice to see devils fans start to respect paul martin. I noticed last year he seemed to be a good 2 way defenseman. He was good defensively and all I seemed to hear was that all the devils defenseman were crap and the devil were a minor league team around broduer. I didn't see any praise for martin. I will say that this year I've started seeing some respect for him by devils fans.

John oddeyua is another defenseman that devils fans scapegoat and wonder how he's playing in the nhl. Personally I feel he's a good defenseman that has a place in the nhl. While not spectacular he's servicable.

Old
10-29-2008, 04:02 AM
Oh Snap
Very Wet Island

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Oh Snap Send a message via Yahoo to Oh Snap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Kopitar. Maybe not underrated so much as under appreciated though. You hardly hear anything about him, despite how good of a player he is, and at such a young age and on such a bad team.

says the leafs fan.

Oh Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 04:32 AM
PTmbp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaila View Post
marian hossa. people notice him as a great player, but no one puts him in their top 5 players in the game, which i think he is.
you have the right to belive so...

PTmbp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 04:41 AM
hfboardsuser

On the Oilers: Robert Nilsson
League-wide: Peter Schaefer, Kyle McLaren

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 04:43 AM
fantanariser*

cheechoo, ohlund, vlasic, ehroff, raymond and burrows, kesler

fantanariser* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 05:16 AM
DarKarTs

Send a message via AIM to DarKarTs Send a message via MSN to DarKarTs Send a message via Skype™ to DarKarTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
On the Oilers: Robert Nilsson
League-wide: Peter Schaefer, Kyle McLaren
....kyle......mclaren?

DarKarTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 05:42 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Zach Parise

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:58 AM
PTmbp13

New jersey defense and broduer

PTmbp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:06 AM
rustam

Draper, Madden, Pahlsson, etc are underrated by casual fans because offense is all that you can quantify.

Scorers that are under-rated, Whitney, Gomez, Hemsky, Frolov, Semin, Savard

rustam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:32 AM

vCash: 50
Probably not the most under-rated, but i don't think Gagne gets his dues. Neither did Knuble.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantanariser View Post
cheechoo, ohlund, vlasic, ehroff, raymond and burrows, kesler
You forgot the Sedins, Salo, Edler, Rypien, Hansen, Mitchell, Krog, Rypien, and O'Brien.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote