HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Game 9: Avalanche @ Flames, 7:30 MST (Sportsnet West / Fan960)

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Cyrus

vCash: 50
Game 9: Avalanche @ Flames, 7:30 MST (Sportsnet West / Fan960)

Colorado Avalanche: 5-3-0, 2nd in Northwest, 4th in Western Conference

@

Calgary Flames: 4-3-1, 4th in Northwest , 8th in Western Conference

The first and second stars of the week will clash tonight as the Flames, led by Jarome Iginla meet the Colorado Avalanche backstopped by Peter Budaj.

This game will be the 2nd time these clubs meet this regular season, with both teams much improved since their last encounter. The Flames won the previous game 5-4, getting the first win of the season for Calgary.

The Flames are on a 3 game winning streak with wins against Washington, Nashville and Phoenix. The Avalanche are on a tear winning their last 5 games, the most recent win coming in a shootout at the expense of the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday.

Pre-Game report:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?id=2008020130

Lines
(Care of calgaryflames.com)

Bourque-Conroy-Iginla
Cammalleri-Langkow-Bertuzzi
Glencross-Boyd-Moss
Nystrom-Primeau-Prust

Sarich-Regehr
Phaneuf-Vandermeer
Giordano-Aucoin

Miikka Kiprusoff
Curtis McElhinney

Injuries:

CALGARY
Matthew Lombardi
Rhett Warrener

COLORADO
None

Keys to tonights game:
  • Powerplay: The Flames, after an 0-13 start, have the 8th best PP% in the league. Colorado's PK is ranked 28th. A couple powerplay goals could definitely turn the tide
  • Get an early lead: The Avs have yet to win when trailing after the first period. They have also not lost when leading after the first frame.
  • Team D: In the last meeting, the Flames were fortunate to be playing against a very shaky Budaj. Chances are the Flames won't pot 5 goals in this one. The team defence will have to be strong to hold the Avs at bay

Only one thing is for certain: someone's win streak will be broken tonight.

Old
10-28-2008, 01:40 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
I'm really looking forward to this one. I'm lovin' these 7:30 games, 'cause they give me some time to get home from work and catch them from the beginning. Here's hoping the Flames make it 4 straight wins tonight, and Bertuzzi scores again, because we know how much Avs fans would love to see that.

Go Flames!

Old
10-28-2008, 03:09 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Good luck tonight guys.

Should be a good one, and hopefully Budaj doesn't play like he did the first time we met. What a disaster of a goaltending "performance" that was.

Old
10-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Wags

What the hell is Conroy doing on the 1st line. Boyd is better suited than Conroy...gawd. I hope Lombo heals quick!

6 - 2 Avs, Conroy -3

(I hope I'm wrong)

Old
10-28-2008, 04:28 PM
puck_08

hmm.. I feel a Avs victory with winning goal by Sakic.. hopefully I'm wrong. Go Flames!

Old
10-28-2008, 05:06 PM
GoFlames

Hope Bert can score too!

Old
10-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Noori

I don't think our inconsistent team can win 4 in a row. Wouldn't be surprised if we lost. If we want to win, then we'll have to score on Budaj early and shake his confidence. He still probably has that voice in the back of his mind.

Old
10-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

vCash: 1075
Well The Flames are on a three game tear having finally found their stride, and Colorado is on a 5 game winning streak after an abysmal 3 game losing streak to start the season. After all is said and done tonight someone’s streak is going to have ended. Here’s hoping Burnaby Joe and crew are hanging their heads in defeat.

The key to this outcome will be more of the same from the Flames. Solid sixty minute effort and stay out of the box. I know I continually say this, but that is only because it is true every single night. Also the boys in the Flaming C need to shut down Wolski and Sakic. Those two are scoring machines, and much like the Sedin sisters will bite us all night long if they aren’t covered and smothered.

Last edited by Lanny'sDaMan: 10-28-2008 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Faulty memory circuits.
Old
10-28-2008, 05:45 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
Well The Flames are on a three game tear having finally found their stride, and Colorado is on a 5 game winning streak after an abysmal 3 game losing streak to start the season. After all is said and done tonight someone’s streak is going to have ended. Here’s hoping Burnaby Joe and crew are hanging their heads in defeat. Especially considering the Flames have yet to collect a win against any of their divisional opponents thus far this young season.

The Flames already beat the Avalanche once this year.

Old
10-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
The Flames already beat the Avalanche once this year.
I suck. Thats right. I forgot about that.Thanks man.

Old
10-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Cyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
Well The Flames are on a three game tear having finally found their stride, and Colorado is on a 5 game winning streak after an abysmal 3 game losing streak to start the season. After all is said and done tonight someone’s streak is going to have ended. Here’s hoping Burnaby Joe and crew are hanging their heads in defeat. Especially considering the Flames have yet to collect a win against any of their divisional opponents thus far this young season.

The key to this outcome will be more of the same from the Flames. Solid sixty minute effort and stay out of the box. I know I continually say this, but that is only because it is true every single night. Also the boys in the Flaming C need to shut down Wolski and Sakic. Those two are scoring machines, and much like the Sedin sisters will bite us all night long if they aren’t covered and smothered.
Well, we did beat the Avs already, so we at least have 1 win against divisonal opponents, but the record is still pretty dismal.
(EDIT:Beaten to it)

While I expect Budaj to play better than he did in the previous encounter, I fully expect Kipper to do the same. The way I see it he's been improving each game, so the Avs better not expect to get 4 goals on him tonight.

But I do agree with you on shutting Sakic down, he seems to outright own the Flames.

Old
10-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
While I expect Budaj to play better than he did in the previous encounter, I fully expect Kipper to do the same.
Fun Fact: Kipper had comparable stats to Budaj the second star this last week. So it isn't as though, the Aves are coming in with the "hotter" Goalie.

Budaj: 3W, 0L, 1.62GA, .941%
Kipper: 3W, 0L, 1.67GA, .946%

Of course, this is a Flames/Aves Game when is it not high scoring?

Old
10-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

I'll be attending this game and i'm really excited! Go Flames go!!

I hope Budaj sucks again

Old
10-28-2008, 07:06 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Should be a good game. Avs are hotter and will be better then the last time the flames faced them. Hopefully the flames are up for the challenge.

Old
10-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Should be a good game. Avs are hotter and will be better then the last time the flames faced them. Hopefully the flames are up for the challenge.
....The Flames are also hotter and better then the last time the Avs were here. Hopefully they're up for the challenge.

This is really a "worrisome" GDT, I guess it is too early to be bouncing off the walls, but it is rather.....dreary.

Old
10-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
....The Flames are also hotter and better then the last time the Avs were here. Hopefully they're up for the challenge.

This is really a "worrisome" GDT, I guess it is too early to be bouncing off the walls, but it is rather.....dreary.
I for one am not worried at all, and if my post conveyed that tone, I apologize. I expect a Flames win, andam looking forward to tonight's tilt in the Dome with great great anticipation

Last edited by Lanny'sDaMan: 10-28-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old
10-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Ticonderoga

I feel good about this one....real good.

4-0

Iginla (2), Bertuzzi and Boyd.

Go Flames!

Old
10-28-2008, 08:33 PM
PIMking

Go Flames!!! 3-1 Flames win (check out qc fight night I added more videos from two weeks ago sorry I was being lazy.)

Old
10-28-2008, 08:51 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Some good pressure early on by the Flames. I like.

Old
10-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Hyde

That early pressure should pay off.....(right).

Old
10-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Boyd, Glencross and Moss with an awesome start, but unfortunately they have been unable to convert their great chances.

Old
10-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

Not what I would describe as a stellar period. Where's the energy, the urgency we've seen in the last three games? Both teams looked disinterested, which is lucky for the Flames, as a full bore Avalanche team would have jumped all over the bad passing of the Flames.

Speaking of which the Flames need to be MUCH better on the tape to tape passing, especially on the power play. This dump and chase baloney needs to stop. A team like Colorado won't be beaten to the puck very often and crisp passing is the best way to ensure they gain the zone.

Miikka was stellar in the first frame, as was the fourth line of Primeau, Moss, and Prust. As a matter of fact, those four players were the only players on the Flames to really put a solid effort in. My only beef with them was when you get an empty net, actually put the puck on net. Missing twice in less than four minutes the Avalanche should be thanking their lucky stars that this period wasn't a 2-0 affair for the Flames.

Old
10-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
While it wasn't the best period of the season, I don't think it was too bad either. First few minutes just looked like the usual shootout between those two teams with lots of offense and no defense at all. After the first commercial, both teams settled and focussed on defense, as Keenan had heralded before the game.
Thus, it might be not as energetic and entertaining as the last couple of games, but it is exactly, what I want to see in the Flames' defensive end.

Old
10-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Hyde

Lanny I have to disagree with that first part, the Flames have to play "boring" with the Avs, they even try "Run & Gun" and this game gets, ugly really, really fast.

Old
10-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

Oh I am happy with the defensive work no disagreement, and I do NOT want run and gun, but there was no agressive play it felt. And I mean as in they were't challenging the shooter, no stick movement in the passing lanes, and they were standing still more often then they were moving feet.

Closed Thread