HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Stars bring up a forward?

View Poll Results: Should the Stars call up a forward?
Ray Sawada 1 6.67%
Landon Wilson 1 6.67%
Chris Conner 4 26.67%
Don't do anything 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-28-2008, 03:41 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Should the Stars bring up a forward?

With Joel Lundqvist out 4 to 6 weeks, should the Stars try to bring up a forward from the AHL?

10 games would be the 22nd of November against the Ducks and more than 24 days out, assuming that you start counting days after the Capitals game. If he went on the LTIR for that time, Dallas could call up a forward from the AHL.

Lundqvist has a cap hit of $725,000, and I think these guys would make sense to call up:

PlayerGPGAPTS+/-Cap Hit
Ray Sawada6022+1$750,000
Landon Wilson5235+6$550,000
Chris Conner8437-4$500,000

Ray Sawada hasnít really lit up the AHL, but heís a good defensive forward and a right shot. I donít know if he could get called up though as the replacement player because his cap hit is higher than Lundqvistís.

Landon Wilson has played well and a right shot, but a team could claim him on re-entry and really hurt the Stars already rough cap situation.

Chris Conner seems like a safe pick.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:51 PM
BigG44

Oh yeah, Dallas is down to 12 "healthy" forwards.

Steve Ott is going to play Wednesday, but his groin has been a concern. Lehtinen isn't even skating right now, and Lundqvist is out for 4 to 6 weeks. They don't have any reserves right now, and they are about to play 3 games in 4 nights again with 2 on the road back to back.

Old
10-28-2008, 03:56 PM
BigG44

And finally, Heika added this:

Quote:
The Stars said they do not have any immediate plans to call up a replacement.
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-46-weeks.html

Call me crazy, but I think it's risky to go into this three game stretch with 11 healthy forwards and one forward trying to come back from the same injury a second time.

Old
10-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Is Benn available for a call up? He has benn () lights out so far in the WHL.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Captain Awesome

Booooo.

Maybe this gives them a chance to create a bit more cap room for themselves? Or they'll dress 7D, or Janik will play forward or something. I don't even know if he can play forward, but it's just a thought.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 04:22 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
Booooo.

Maybe this gives them a chance to create a bit more cap room for themselves? Or they'll dress 7D, or Janik will play forward or something. I don't even know if he can play forward, but it's just a thought.
My logic is Dallas can call up whoever they want to use Zubov's LTIR space for at least the next 2 games. They just have to have an open roster spot.

Now, there is a difference between IR and LTIR. I thought you only had to miss 10 days to be on IR. Well, Lehtinen has already missed that, and Lundqvist will miss at least that. Either one of those guys could go on IR (Lehtinen could be activated immediately when he is healthy because he has already missed 10 days).

Why wouldn't Dallas want to have an extra forward even if it is only 2 games?

Old
10-28-2008, 04:43 PM
map94

I don't think you have to miss 10 games if you just go on IR. I did a quick search and the best answer I found was:
Quote:
A player placed on Injured Reserve is ineligible to compete in NHL games for a period of not less than seven days.
So I assume they can put Lehtinen on IR at any time retroactive to the beginning of the season and then remove him from IR any time they want since enough time has already passed.

Landon Wilson is not subject to re-entry waivers since: he has skated in 320 or more professional games AND has not spent more than 80 games on an NHL roster in the prior 2 seasons or 40 or more games on an NHL roster in the immediately prior season.

I don't think anyone on the Stars is eligible for re-entry waivers this season. I'm sure that was a requirement for the veteran guys they signed to two-way contracts in the off season.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 05:06 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
I don't think you have to miss 10 games if you just go on IR. I did a quick search and the best answer I found was: So I assume they can put Lehtinen on IR at any time retroactive to the beginning of the season and then remove him from IR any time they want since enough time has already passed.

Landon Wilson is not subject to re-entry waivers since: he has skated in 320 or more professional games AND has not spent more than 80 games on an NHL roster in the prior 2 seasons or 40 or more games on an NHL roster in the immediately prior season.

I don't think anyone on the Stars is eligible for re-entry waivers this season. I'm sure that was a requirement for the veteran guys they signed to two-way contracts in the off season.
Yeah, I meant to say 10 days, but that was just my best guess. So it's good to know its actually 7 days.

I just assumed that any player that had to go through waivers had to go through re-entry. That's good to know, so thanks. Does that mean he doesn't have to clear regular waivers again though to get called up?

Old
10-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Why not bring Benn up?

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 05:19 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

In my opinion it doesn't make sense to not bring somebody up. I would rather have Sawada up here but I would be okay with Connor he hasn't impressed me when he has been with the team but he sure hasn't really disappointed me either. If we did go with Landon Wilson I highly doubt somebody would claim him though.

Anyway the injury bug seems to be biting all over Dallas, not just the Stars.

edit: I wouldn't mind Benn either

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 05:39 PM
BigG44

Jamie Benn should stay in Kelowna. Another season will really help his development, and he has a very good chance to make Team Canada. Leave him be.

Old
10-28-2008, 06:43 PM
map94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Yeah, I meant to say 10 days, but that was just my best guess. So it's good to know its actually 7 days.

I just assumed that any player that had to go through waivers had to go through re-entry. That's good to know, so thanks. Does that mean he doesn't have to clear regular waivers again though to get called up?
None of the Star's current minor league players would require waivers (re-entry waivers) to be recalled. And it's safe to assume anyone that did require waivers, cleared them to be sent down. If a waiver sensitive player is recalled and stays long enough in the NHL (10 games/30 days), they would have to clear waivers again to be sent down. I recommend you read Irish Blues site on waivers.

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

Re-entry waivers could be an issue if they try to send someone like Barch down to the minors for cap reasons. To recall most players on one way contracts requires re-entry waivers. So you expose the team to potentially getting stuck with half a contract (and cap hit) for a guy not playing on your team. Something the Stars would currently have a hard time handling.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 06:50 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
None of the Star's current minor league players would require waivers (re-entry waivers) to be recalled. And it's safe to assume anyone that did require waivers, cleared them to be sent down. If a waiver sensitive player is recalled and stays long enough in the NHL (10 games/30 days), they would have to clear waivers again to be sent down. I recommend you read Irish Blues site on waivers.

http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

Re-entry waivers could be an issue if they try to send someone like Barch down to the minors for cap reasons. To recall most players on one way contracts requires re-entry waivers. So you expose the team to potentially getting stuck with half a contract (and cap hit) for a guy not playing on your team. Something the Stars would currently have a hard time handling.
Thanks for the link. That was very helpful.

Old
10-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Caseman

What's with Lehtinen? Why can't he get his stinkin groin up to pace yet?

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 11:32 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 811
Anyone who gets called up at this stage is going to have experience with the system and is going to be defensively reliable. That is Chris Conner.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote