HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rank the Eastern Goalies heading into playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBRUINS19
How many games did Giguere play before the start of last seasons playoffs???Not 1...
Why can't Raycroft do the same thing??
Same thing with Roy in 86 and Dryden in 1971. It's very difficult to assess how a young or rookie netminder will react to the pressure of the playoffs. Raycroft is definetely a wild card in the East. If he comes up big, the Bruins can do some serious damage in the East.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Shoalzie
It's Not Complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBRUINS19
How many games did Giguere play before the start of last seasons playoffs???Not 1...
Why can't Raycroft do the same thing??

Does he have a similar team in front of him? Anaheim rode great goaltending last year but they also played great team defense. The more proven goalies are in the East...the Bruins should be happy to win a round.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Sparepart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster
Khabibulin have more playoff experience than Theodore in the Playoff !!! why you don't count this criteria in your ranking for all goaltender but only a few ? because you need to found some reason to put your belove Theo 3rd without be calling a HOMER ?

Your choice and mine are very close but not for the same reason !

I had already made 2 comments about Theodore , so I decided against adding "hardly any playoff experience", but I knew that someone would call me out on it. Theodore is ahead of Khabby because I believe Theodore is the better goalie, simple as that , they both lack playoff experience. My fault.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:03 PM
o-dog

Does anyone remember that Theodore absolutely stank the one time he was in the playoffs? The Habs won that first round in spite of Theodore and by the time he started to play OK, they ran into a team with hotter goaltending. Until Theo proves that he can play when it counts, his ranking should be in the bottom half of any list behind goalies that have actually done something in the playoffs.

Lalime is not having a consistent year but he has always played well in the playoffs - even the first series he played against TO where the Sens were swept, Lalime was solid. He has probably had less bad games in the playoffs than Theodore and he's played a hell of a lot more.

Skillwise, I'll take Theodore any day of the week but that's not always the most important factor. Anyone who ranks Belfour behind anyone other than Brodeur has no concept of history or the importance of playoff hockey. I think that DiPietro and Raycroft are outstanding young goaltenders but until they actually accomplish something, they are still an unknown quantity. No different than a top prospect coming into the NHL...

My rankings:
Brodeur
Belfour
Lalime
Theodore
Khabibulin
Raycroft
DiPietro
Esche/Burke

One of the Philadelphia tandem could still prove to be effective but we don't even know who it's going to be.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:31 PM
smnhppu

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiedog
Does anyone remember that Theodore absolutely stank the one time he was in the playoffs? The Habs won that first round in spite of Theodore and by the time he started to play OK, they ran into a team with hotter goaltending. Until Theo proves that he can play when it counts, his ranking should be in the bottom half of any list behind goalies that have actually done something in the playoffs.
I actually thought that he did just the opposite. Boston was all over Montreal, he had a great series and shut the Bruins down. I'm not saying he should be ahead of Belfour, because of the that... Belfour's got a Stanley Cup under his belt. But when you are heading into these playoffs, considering Belfour's health problems, you have to be more confident with Theo than Belfour.

As for Lalime, in all the years he's been with Ottawa, through all the playoffs, though he's been there, IMO, he's never made the big save that they needed to get them to then next level.

As for Raycroft/Dipietro, I wouldn't be so quick to discount their performances... but what'll be a telling stat is how they did in their minor league playoff experiences. That should be a good indicator as to whether they can raise their game to the next level.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:38 PM
albathegreat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Esche has the 4th best GAA in the league and he gets ranked 6th or 7th?

Doesnt matter, If he puts those numbers up in the players he will be ranked higher.

1st full year, barely no playoff experience, putting up those numbers you expect him to get ranked higher?

Old
02-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Habfansincebirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie
Here are each goalie's playoff stats...
Belfour -- GP: 148; W-L: 82-61; GAA: 2.17; SO: 11; 1 Stanley Cup
Brodeur -- GP: 139; W-L: 83-56; GAA: 1.84; SV%: .924; SO: 20; 3 Stanley Cups
Burke -- GP: 34; W-L: 12-22; GAA: 3.32; SO: 1
DiPietro -- GP: 1; Min: 15; GA: 0; SV%: 1.000
Esche -- GP: 1; Min: 30; GA: 2; SV%: .929
Khabibulin -- GP: 34; W-L: 15-18; GAA: 2.64; SV%: .920; SO: 1
Lalime -- GP: 34; W-L: 18-16; GAA: 1.72; SV%: .930; SO: 5
Raycroft -- GP: 0
Snow -- GP: 20; W-L: 9-8; GAA: 2.76; SV%: .903; SO: 1
Theodore -- GP: 17; W-L: 7-8; GAA: 2.64; SV%: .924

- - - - -

Here's how I'd rank them going into the postseason:
1. Brodeur
-----
2. Belfour
-----
3. Lalime
4. Khabibulin
5. Theodore
-----
6. Burke
7. Snow
-----
8. Raycroft
9. Esche
10. DiPietro
Theo 5th seems ludicrous. IMO, Ottawa would trade Lalime for Theo in a heartbeat. Same with TB and Khabibulin, though not as clear cut.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:46 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca

9)Theodore - Montreal doesn't make the playoffs... SAD BUT TRUE.
Just like last year and the year before that.. and that....

Now that's the correct order.
And Toronto doesn't win the Stanley Cup...just like... well you get my point

36 and counting. Sorry!

Closed Thread