HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Thrashers are getting their ***** kicked!

Old
10-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Who dropped the puck tonight?!

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:38 PM
WVP

Not much to root for in Atlanta these days.

You know, I stuck with the Pens when they were down with no problems but I was already a fan for 15 years. Gotta be tough for a fairly new franchise to maintain interest when there's really no direction, at least from an outsider's perspective.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:39 PM
oandb18

Niittymaki is now 10-0 vs. ATL

Lehtonen is his b****.

As is every other finnish goalie.

oandb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:42 PM
AaronTrieu

thrashers are the NHL ****. Great team to pad your stats.

Last edited by The Nemesis: 10-28-2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: don't circumvent the filter
AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:42 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPens View Post
Not much to root for in Atlanta these days.

You know, I stuck with the Pens when they were down with no problems but I was already a fan for 15 years. Gotta be tough for a fairly new franchise to maintain interest when there's really no direction, at least from an outsider's perspective.
The Heatley accident, plus horrible drafting (eg: Lethonen over Nash/Bouwmeester, Coburn over Phaneuf, etc.) killed the Thrashers franchise.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:44 PM
capt midnight

putting them in atlanta didn't help much either.

capt midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
The Heatley accident, plus horrible drafting (eg: Lethonen over Nash/Bouwmeester, Coburn over Phaneuf, etc.) killed the Thrashers franchise.
coburn's a great player and they literally just handed him over to philly. don waddell is why atlanta sucks as a franchise.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:50 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
coburn's a great player and they literally just handed him over to philly. don waddell is why atlanta sucks as a franchise.
This.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckGuy0218 View Post
Lehtonen is actually a solid goalie, but you couldn't tell by the stat sheet.

What's amazing is that in a game where he gives up 7 goals, all of them can be attributed to awful defense.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:51 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
thrashers are the NHL ****. Great team to pad your stats.
islanders?

Last edited by The Nemesis: 10-28-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: qep
SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Luongo2008*

7-0 final

OMG

Luongo2008* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
By the way, the Flyers now lead the league in scoring, with this 7-0 shutout win, they've still lost 6 of 9 games.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt midnight View Post
That's an unfair thing to say. If the Thrashers had an ownership that actually gave a ****, people would come to games. Notice how Chicago had such low attendance when Dollar Bill was the owner. You can't blame that one on location.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
By the way, the Flyers now lead the league in scoring, with this 7-0 shutout win, they've still lost 6 of 9 games.
Sounds like Dallas so far. Sigh..

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Gooch

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
That's an unfair thing to say. If the Thrashers had an ownership that actually gave a ****, people would come to games. Notice how Chicago had such low attendance when Dollar Bill was the owner. You can't blame that one on location.
Yeah the location doesnt matter nearly as much as people make it out to. Tampa Bay had some good attendance because they were winning in an area where people couldn't care less about Hockey, much like Atlanta.

Its the team and the organization that matter. If a team starts winning then it will start to create a buzz and attract people out to see it. People are not going to watch an unfamilar sport where their team is a consistant loser.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:06 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Really? Have you gone to a game down here at all? Its amazing how quickly a fanbase can be supported when you have a team that actually knows how to play and WINS. No it doesn't help when you have the Falcons and the Braves right around the corner, but when they actually won the SE Division that place was packed all of March and April with people who had never watched hockey before. Its not the North where many states have leagues setup for all ages and people get on the pond from December-February. I was playing pond hockey in Minnesota and Michigan my entire life, to come down here and literally only have a few arenas here and there makes a world of difference for peoples understanding of the game. However, any city with a team going to the playoffs will get their bandwagon on...look at STL with the Cards. I was stationed at Scott AFB and we got free tickets for the entire season, went to games on the weekend and it was always about half full. Once they started winning a ton and going to the playoffs that place blew up with fans. It can happen....but you gotta win games.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:06 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
It's hard for a team to win a game when their so-called leader causes a turnover that leads to a shorthanded goal for the other team and then consequently commits two unsportsmanlike penalties which lead to two power play goals being scored against you.

Kovalchuk is a great player with all the talent in the world, but geez, what a series of bonehead mistakes. I know people will say that it's the organization's fault for frustrating Kovalchuk by not supplying him with the a good support cast, but I'm not sure I'd like a player who did things like that on my team, even if they are that gifted.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:09 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Who dropped the puck tonight?!
Who dropped the soap tonight?
The Thrashers!

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:25 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Did anyone actually watch the first two periods?

Up until the Ilya turnover and SHG with 15 seconds left in the 2nd it was anyones game. One of Philly's goals was off a bad bounce turnover in their own end, and the other was a flukey play where the Thrashers D blocks a pass and in lands squarely on Knubles stick behind Lehtonen(his other goal was flukey as well)

Ilya gets the two unsportsmanlikes...and it is a 5-0 game.

This is the 1st time all season the Thrashers have lost by more than 2 goals, and the other two times they were within 1 and gave up EN goals.

Sure a bad night for the Thrashers, but they have been playing much better than many here are giving them credit for....and the game was truly not as lopsided as the score.

Last edited by btn: 10-28-2008 at 09:33 PM.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
What does them being in Atlanta have to do with anything...at all?

10-28-2008, 09:37 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
It's hard for a team to win a game when their so-called leader causes a turnover that leads to a shorthanded goal for the other team and then consequently commits two unsportsmanlike penalties which lead to two power play goals being scored against you.

Kovalchuk is a great player with all the talent in the world, but geez, what a series of bonehead mistakes. I know people will say that it's the organization's fault for frustrating Kovalchuk by not supplying him with the a good support cast, but I'm not sure I'd like a player who did things like that on my team, even if they are that gifted.
Agreed. People constantly call Crosby immature, but Kovalchuk may be the most immature star in the game...and hes been in the league for years.

Its ridiculous. Biggest reason I think he is massively overratted. Sure he can post numbers, but he definately doesnt help his team win on a nightly basis.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:37 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
What does them being in Atlanta have to do with anything...at all?
Most sports organizations tend to fail miserably in Atlanta.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:03 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
They were calling Coburn a bust when the Thrashers dealt him, and Zhitnik was an amazing deadline pickup for ATL. I'd take 14 points in 18 games from a dman down the stretch.

Also, the Flyers, like every other team, have their share of players they dealt to go on to have great success with another team. Sharp and Williams immediately jump to mind. Hell, the same could happen at this year's deadline, with players like Nodl and Downie. They're being kept out of the top nine by the depth at forward the Flyers have.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Did anyone actually watch the first two periods?

Up until the Ilya turnover and SHG with 15 seconds left in the 2nd it was anyones game. One of Philly's goals was off a bad bounce turnover in their own end, and the other was a flukey play where the Thrashers D blocks a pass and in lands squarely on Knubles stick behind Lehtonen(his other goal was flukey as well)

Ilya gets the two unsportsmanlikes...and it is a 5-0 game.

This is the 1st time all season the Thrashers have lost by more than 2 goals, and the other two times they were within 1 and gave up EN goals.

Sure a bad night for the Thrashers, but they have been playing much better than many here are giving them credit for....and the game was truly not as lopsided as the score.
No this is HF Boards where some rocket scientist looks at his NHL Scoreboards and thinks "gee, I'll start a thread about how bad the Thrashers are losing--even though I have no idea what has happened in this game or the fact that Atlanta has been in every single game they have played this season until this one."

It's much easier just to post "Atlanta sucks" then to actually pay attention to what is happening.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
They were calling Coburn a bust when the Thrashers dealt him, and Zhitnik was an amazing deadline pickup for ATL. I'd take 14 points in 18 games from a dman down the stretch.

Also, the Flyers, like every other team, have their share of players they dealt to go on to have great success with another team. Sharp and Williams immediately jump to mind. Hell, the same could happen at this year's deadline, with players like Nodl and Downie. They're being kept out of the top nine by the depth at forward the Flyers have.
Well every team has a player that they've given up on too soon that went on to find success elsewhere, but the difference between your Flyers examples is that the Flyers had the depth to make those moves, but defense has been one of Atlanta's biggest needs and they gave up on a promising prospect too soon for an aging dman on his last legs.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote