HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Atlanta: What a disaster

Old
10-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Sotnos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
Tampa Bay has probably succeeded so well because half the residents there are from New England.
I'd like to see you post some stats to back that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
So...they should be contracted?
Don't worry, you're not the only one who's not following the "logic" here. If the League dumped every team who had a bad game, there'd be no one left.

10-28-2008, 09:45 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
So...they should be contracted?
The contracted comment was more-so out of frustration, but it would be nice.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Foy

Thank god Versus showed this game instead of the thrilling 4-3 Caps/Nashville game.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 09:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker View Post
It's almost a guarantee that Kovalchuk doesn't re-sign there, why would he want to?
It could change if they ownership shows better commitment. Start by firing Waddell, then decide if the future of the organization involves Kovalchuk, and if it does, how do we get better players around him. It's not like the Thrashers don't have decent players, they lack an identity and a real commitment to win. Scott Mellanby brought that to the team, and he left with it as well.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:10 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
I have a feeling in 4 yrs, we'll be talking about the Las Vegas Thrashers. An NHL team in Atlanta isn't going to succeed, nobody there knows much about hockey because Atlanta is full of native southerners. Tampa Bay has probably succeeded so well because half the residents there are from New England. The NHL needs to admit its mistake and move on.
Atlanta has a good amount of transplants there. Which is a double edged sword some who already have a favorite team from back home, but at least they are familiar with the sport. It's not a bunch of country hicks.

The issue is not location it's lack of icing a winning product. Not trying to belittle Thrasher fans but if there was a playoff caliber team there for a decent amount of time they would have plenty in the seats. Look at Chicago even they couldn't pack the stands when they stunk.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:10 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
10 years.

Two first overall picks.
Two second overall picks.
A third overall pick.
8 picks in the top 12.

A single season of more wins than losses.

No playoff wins.

Traded Coburn for Zhitnik.

Traded a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and checker for 2 months of Tkachuk.

Thrashers fans, you have my respect - it takes courage to go down with the ship.
The Hossa trade looks pretty good.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
I have a feeling in 4 yrs, we'll be talking about the Las Vegas Thrashers. An NHL team in Atlanta isn't going to succeed, nobody there knows much about hockey because Atlanta is full of native southerners. Tampa Bay has probably succeeded so well because half the residents there are from New England. The NHL needs to admit its mistake and move on.
You you should look up the facts before you just spew forth this crap.

There are nearly 1 million northern-born people in Atlanta--more than in Tampa Bay area. But hey, don't let actual facts or data get in the way of your sweeping generalizations.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
1 More after this season.
Thats it? Wow. This will probably be his last full season in Atlanta.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:21 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
You you should look up the facts before you just spew forth this crap.

There are nearly 1 million northern-born people in Atlanta--more than in Tampa Bay area. But hey, don't let actual facts or data get in the way of your sweeping generalizations.
weren't too many of them there tonight, couldn't have been above 10k in the building and I don't care what the official numbers say

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker View Post
Sink this ship....why not just contract them?
Too bad we didn't contract the Red Wings after they failed to draw during the Dead Wings period.

Too bad we didn't contract the Blackhawks when they failed to draw during the end of the Wirtz nightmare.

Why don't we just contract the Bruins where the fans fail to turn out in large numbers of a regular playoff contender.

Oh wait--could it be that the quality of the hockey product matters? Could it be that consumers are smart to not shell out their money for a bad product. Nope, just contract them, that couldn't possibly be the problem.

Old
10-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
weren't too many of them there tonight, couldn't have been above 10k in the building and I don't care what the official numbers say
And how many of those yankees did you see in Tampa's building when they sucked for their first decade? Not very many either. So it just goes to show you that the quality of the on ice product matters--even to people born up north like myself.

Old
10-28-2008, 10:24 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
10 years.

Two first overall picks.
Two second overall picks.
A third overall pick.
8 picks in the top 12.

A single season of more wins than losses.

No playoff wins.

Traded Coburn for Zhitnik.

Traded a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and checker for 2 months of Tkachuk.

Thrashers fans, you have my respect - it takes courage to go down with the ship.
Woah, I've never seen those draft stats. Thats pathetic.

I feel sorry for the true fans left there, because it would be near impossible to still be a fan of that organization. Unfortunately I can't see a team staying there, extremely poor management.

I hope the same doesn't happen to Columbus.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:26 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
As a Thrashers fan, I have seen far worse on ice products.

The fact is, you are making a judgement based on one game.
Not true at all, as I didn't even watch this game. But thanks for being incorrect.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:27 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Waddell needs to go. And now is a good time to do it. They need a new vision, and soon. Start with a new GM, then build the team through smart drafting/trades (and maybe a free agent or two), and within 3 years they should be competitive on a yearly basis for the playoffs.

But as long as Waddell is there, this team is going no where. It's too bad there's nothing Bettman could do to essentially force Waddell out.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Rob

Quote:
Too bad we didn't contract the Red Wings after they failed to draw during the Dead Wings period.

Too bad we didn't contract the Blackhawks when they failed to draw during the end of the Wirtz nightmare.

Why don't we just contract the Bruins where the fans fail to turn out in large numbers of a regular playoff contender.

All three of the above have a history of popular support in their respective cities. Atlanta does not.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:34 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Waddell = Mediocre

Pretty much sums up the situation.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:36 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Woah, I've never seen those draft stats. Thats pathetic.
Is it?

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00004682.html

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

I feel for Thrashers fans. An inept GM can ruin a team - I've lived through it with O'Connell. At least with Chiarelli the prospect pool is getting restocked.

If the Thrashers overhaul management and DON'T trade away assets like candy, they can easily be competitive. There is no reason to contract the team yet; we need to see how the market reacts when there is a good product on the ice.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:39 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
All three of the above have a history of popular support in their respective cities. Atlanta does not.
Detroit, Chicago and Boston all have a history of NOT supporting their teams when they suck for long periods. Compare that to Atlanta which has 1 playoff appearance in 9 years and zero playoff wins in 9 years. Show me a stretch where Detroit packed their arena with that level of awfulness.

Old
10-28-2008, 10:41 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Detroit, Chicago and Boston all have a history of NOT supporting their teams when they suck for long periods. Compare that to Atlanta which has 1 playoff appearance in 9 years and zero playoff wins in 9 years. Show me a stretch where Detroit packed their arena with that level of awfulness.
Once again, history of hockey in those cities.

Atlanta has been in the NHL how many years?

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:43 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Bettman will hand them Tavares or Hedman to keep them afloat.
I want a detailed written response on how Bettman will hand Tavares or Hedman to the Thrashers please.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
The Chicago and Boston situations were because of ownership, not awfulness.

One owner blacked out games while the other owner kept his purse strings closed and controlled every single decision for the longest time. It's easy to lose fans when ownership alienates their fanbase.

There are a large amount of people who won't go to a B's game because they are boycotting the Jacobs ownership. It's sad but true. If the B's had a different owner they would not have an attendance problem. Even when things go well, people sing the "same ****, different year" tune.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:48 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
I agree completely, every city is a fairweather city (except maybe Toronto, the Leafs are a lifestyle almost), nobody is going to show up in Detroit if they lose for 9 seasons straight, the only thing that matters is winning. Some teams will support their teams more than others all things being equal, but winning is whats most important.

The worry is though that I don't see success in the near future for the Thrashers, in fact its going to get worse once they lose Kovalchuk, and with no solid base, how do you justify keeping a franchise there?

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
The Chicago and Boston situations were because of ownership, not awfulness.

One owner blacked out games while the other owner kept his purse strings closed and controlled every single decision for the longest time. It's easy to lose fans when ownership alienates their fanbase.

There are a large amount of people who won't go to a B's game because they are boycotting the Jacobs ownership. It's sad but true. If the B's had a different owner they would not have an attendance problem. Even when things go well, people sing the "same ****, different year" tune.
Are you going to tell me with a straight face that if the Blackhawks had been winning Cups in the 2000-2008 period people in Chicago would have stayed home and NOT bought tickets. Look Wirtz treated his fans like dirt for 20+ years. Once J. Roenick and Belfour left and the team stopped winning THAT'S WHEN the fans stopped coming to games. If the Hawks had put a product out there they would have filled that building in spite of their owner.

Old
10-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday View Post
Once again, history of hockey in those cities.

Atlanta has been in the NHL how many years?
You can't prove a positive with a negative. You can't prove that Atlanta will not support a competitive team until you have a competitive team in that market. Everything people say about Atlanta you could have said about Tampa when they sucked for a decade, or Anaheim in their first 10 years.