HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What Percentage of Habs fans speak French?

Old
10-28-2008, 09:59 PM
forrestk

vCash: 500
What Percentage of Habs fans speak French?

So here's a question for all fans out there...what % of Habs fans do you guys believe speak only French? I have to admit, it is kind of difficult to follow the games when watching RDS, as I know no French myself. How important is it to know French to be a fan of the Habs, and to follow their games?

All of this in my desperate search for NHL fanhood...*sigh*.

forrestk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I'm a Habs fan, live in Toronto, but I can understand French pretty well because I learned it when they taught it in schools.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:08 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestk View Post
So here's a question for all fans out there...what % of Habs fans do you guys believe speak only French? I have to admit, it is kind of difficult to follow the games when watching RDS, as I know no French myself. How important is it to know French to be a fan of the Habs, and to follow their games?

im a hab fan and i don't speak french, i don't find it difficult at all to follow the team watching % 95 of the games on rds. i know basic french thanks to the habs lol

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Fire Brunet*

Well you gonna learn french and watch Habs games at the same time!

2birds1stone

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:11 PM
freezie

i watch them all the time on rds, the names are still in english lol..oh i dont speak french.

freezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:12 PM
The n00b King ©*

Don't speak French at all, but RDS is really easy to follow if you watch them enough.

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:14 PM
JustJen

I live in Montreal but I'm mainly English. Watching Habs games has actually improved my french. It's not incredibly important. A lot of games are played on CBC & TSN as well and after watching RDS long enough you begin to undersatdn what things mean

JustJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:15 PM
deanosaur

Sad part... In Canada (maybe it's changed by now) we're forced to learn french from k-8. You'd think most of us could understand it

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We are almost all fully bilingual.

I went from a french public high school to a english private college, and we are more english speaking french students then pure english students. Even the english students understand and can communicate in french fluently.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JWells16

Exactly 64%

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Mackee

I'd say I'm fairly fluent in French (English-speaking Montrealer). I'd also say pretty much every Hab fan on this board that lives in Quebec has a grasp of both languages. As has been said, if you watch RDS enough, you don't have to understand French to follow along. The same terms are used often enough so that eventually you begin to understand them.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:23 PM
willie

Quote:
So here's a question for all fans out there...what % of Habs fans do you guys believe speak only French?
Only french? Less than 5% to be certain, since nearly all French Canadians speak some English. (even if they would refuse to speak it in front of an English Canadian )

As for french being their first language, I would probably say less than (but close) to 50%. The Canadiens do have a very large diaspora of fans who speak predominantly (or only) English. And many 'franco'-Montrealers are as - or more - fluent in English than French due to living on the N.A. continent.

Quote:
How important is it to know French to be a fan of the Habs, and to follow their games?
With Centre Ice, not so much. And even then, most commentators have nothing consequential to say, so who cares if you're watching an RDS broadcast and don't understand it?

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:25 PM
karho

I'd say it probably isn't really difficult to understand the game and probably not required, although it is probably annoying if you don't understand what they're saying.

Worst case scenario, you can turn down the TV volume, to CJAD (AM 800 for the locals or http://www.cjad.com) and listen to the radio broadcast while watching the game (although there will most likely be some synchronization difference between the radio and the tv).

I wish they had more games in English, but I don't dwell on it too much because I do know French quite well.

karho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
How important is it to know French to be a fan of the Habs
No matter you're allegiance to one or both of the official languages, the beauty of being a Habs fan is exactly the fact that no matter the language barrier, we all connect on the same basis: Our passion for our team.

It's beautiful to realize that, I know I did when I was a youth growing up among both english and french kids. Our knowledge of hockey and Canadiens made us become good friends.

Old
10-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
Only french? Less than 5% to be certain, since nearly all French Canadians speak some English. (even if they would refuse to speak it in front of an English Canadian )

As for french being their first language, I would probably say less than (but close) to 50%. The Canadiens do have a very large diaspora of fans who speak predominantly (or only) English. And many 'franco'-Montrealers are as - or more - fluent in English than French due to living on the N.A. continent.

With Centre Ice, not so much. And even then, most commentators have nothing consequential to say, so who cares if you're watching an RDS broadcast and don't understand it?
I would say that's pretty ..clueless as i've ever seen a post. You would be surprised how the magority of french Quebecers even if they live close to the US are unilingual. It may be different in Montreal of course but i've myself been surprised throughout the years to discover how many know so little about the english language. I myself am an anomaly because i've been a USAphile and have been immersed in US pop culture since I was young and take what I know for granted. But I can't count the times where I fell on my butt to discover how some do not know the basic things in speaking english and the US/English Canadian culture.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
How important is it to know French to be a fan of the Habs, and to follow their games?
No importance at all. In fact, some people live here their whole lives don't speak french at all.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 07:24 AM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I would say that's pretty ..clueless as i've ever seen a post. You would be surprised how the magority of french Quebecers even if they live close to the US are unilingual. It may be different in Montreal of course but i've myself been surprised throughout the years to discover how many know so little about the english language. I myself am an anomaly because i've been a USAphile and have been immersed in US pop culture since I was young and take what I know for granted. But I can't count the times where I fell on my butt to discover how some do not know the basic things in speaking english and the US/English Canadian culture.
Yeah, French rural Quebecers are uncultured retards

Seriously, what he said was right about Montreal. Here, almost everybody is bilingual or at least familiar with both languages. It's different when you leave the city, though.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 07:28 AM
MontrealHabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

The day english canadians and americans will be able to somewhat understand french, we can have this discussion again, most quebecers can handle the very basics of english and a high number can actually understand it at 100 %, the difficulties comes when its time to speak it.

As for the topic main question.. well RDS shows all the games and its the french version of TSN.. though i think it has to be easy to learn, after all they repeat the same thing 82 times a year .

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 07:42 AM
tiz

I'm a Nova Scotian Hab fan, my first language is French, but I'm completely bilingual. I really enjoy the RDS coverage, and I don't have it as part of my cable. I have NHL GameCenter and last night getting the RDS broadcast was a pleasant surprise.

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 07:42 AM
mista_lordz

Well you guys forgot to mention that since Cristobal played in Montreal, theire is plenty of Habs fans in France

And believe me, theres no more unilingual people than the frenchies from France

It aint that tough to follow a hockey game, even in another language. I watch some swedish or russian stuff and most of the terms are English... I mean following a US show without subtitles is way harder given some of some of the guys redneck accent...

mista_lordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

A lot of it depends on how much effort you're willing to put into the endeavour of learning French (and not getting flustered when you don't understand enough of what's being said).

For example, last night I had the choice of watching the Leafs and Lightning battle it out for last place in the conference in English, or watching two good teams play non-crappy hockey in French. My French is spotty at best, so I had to actually watch the game (instead of just have it on in the background while I play on the computer or do other things), so I had to give the game a lot more attention.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista_lordz View Post
Well you guys forgot to mention that since Cristobal played in Montreal, theire is plenty of Habs fans in France

It aint that tough to follow a hockey game, even in another language. I watch some swedish or russian stuff and most of the terms are English... I mean following a US show without subtitles is way harder given some of some of the guys redneck accent...
Surprisingly a lot of Frenchmen from France speak better English then Quebecer in general.

Old
10-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Sony Eriksson*

I bought the Italian and French versions Rosetta stone software and im learning both.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:

No idea of the %, but you can always watch the game on RDS while listening to a online radio stream in English, if you have the right setup at home.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 08:29 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista_lordz View Post
They're not nearly as bad as the Anglos from North America.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote