HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Girardi's Potential?

Old
10-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Celestial Black

vCash: 500
He is a solid 2nd-3rd defenseman.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Girardi is 4th in the league (3rd among defensemen) in hits with 35. His physical game is very underrated.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
basically, if the forwards are doing their jobs, the goalies' are doing their job, a guy like Girardi looks to be doing well too. If he's asked to do too much himself, he tries too hard and he's really not that good. In other words, in a good Rangers system he can excel but he may not be that great individually. Think that's another way of looking at it? It's a testament to Renney's system in that he's created a number of changeable parts, but is it really easy to judge a guy like Girardi individually?
Well...what person couldn't that be said for? I think everyone would fail if asked to do too much.

It's tough to judge Girardi individually because he's still a work in progress. He's 24, 3rd year in the league, and naturally his game is still evolving. No one knows what kind of player he'll end up being, but he's already shown us that he has great individual skills. We've seen phenomenal positional defense, great outlet passing, tremendous physical strength, and a point shot that actually gets through to the net. Now, we haven't seen all those skills put together at one time yet, but just the fact that he has them is a huge plus.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:21 PM
orland

Girardi's Physicality

The extra upside for Girardi is that he has a pretty big frame and will continue to fill out and get stronger - like Stahl. Girardi and Stahl are already the biggest hitters on the back line and both will get better. I think they are both better d-men than Reddin and Rosival already although they certainly aren't the puck movers that Reddin and Rosival are.

orland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:37 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by orland View Post
The extra upside for Girardi is that he has a pretty big frame and will continue to fill out and get stronger - like Stahl. Girardi and Stahl are already the biggest hitters on the back line and both will get better. I think they are both better d-men than Reddin and Rosival already although they certainly aren't the puck movers that Reddin and Rosival are.
Staal
Redden
Rozsival

3 outta 4 spelt wrong... impressive.

Last edited by DontStepanMe: 10-29-2008 at 02:42 PM.
DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 01:51 AM
KSUpilot

I've been impressed by his play so far. I'm sure he will get better too

KSUpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 02:22 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
To put it simply.

The sky is the limit.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:24 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
He still makes occasional mistakes which is fine, considering he's still fairly young for a defenseman. All together he's game is solid in every aspect. He can play almost any role and is a great 2nd pairing D. Great find by the Rangers!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

I don't think Girardi will get better in his career, maybe slightly, than he is right now.

The point pace is similar to Aaron Voros's. Do you honestly believe Girardi's going to be right there with around 50 points? It's early in the season. He's got an offensive side but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more around 30 points or less.

Can't believe that he's going to get more points than Redden and Rozsival.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 01:05 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
I don't think Girardi will get better in his career, maybe slightly, than he is right now.

The point pace is similar to Aaron Voros's. Do you honestly believe Girardi's going to be right there with around 50 points? It's early in the season. He's got an offensive side but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more around 30 points or less.

He'll probably get 30-35 points. He has very good instincts and his shot is very tricky for goalies. His shot also almost always get through the players piled up near the goalie, and leads to tons of rebounds

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Staal
Redden
Rozsival

3 outta 4 spelt wrong... impressive.
haha...dick jk

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 01:36 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

thinking about it, i could see girardi having a career like redden's, if everything works out, and he continues to develop the way he has so far. he could continually put up solid numbers (10ish g, 25-35 assists), maybe with a couple of years flirting with 50 pts, or a couple with 30, but just playing defensively sound hockey and making a good first pass.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 02:28 PM
gravytrain6t

I'd like to see him continue developing his lower and upper body strength. Maybe be a little quicker to be able to glide over and throw some of those hip checks like some one else was eluding too. What surprised me the most about Girardi is his ability to throw the body around when he needs to. The guy can hit.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 03:18 PM
bumrusherer

Just a solid Defender who will contribute offensive now and then. He would improve immensely if he improved his handles.
But there is nothing wrong with having a solid player on the blueline and I'd like to think that he'll be a Ranger for quite some time.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:01 PM
The Thomas J.*

Girardi is only going to get better as time goes on, he hit a bit of a wall last year Defensivly, but got though it. He needs to learn how to balance both sides of his game.

He will put up low double digits in goals and high teens to mid 20's in assists.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post

Well he hit 28 in his first full season, on an offensively challenged club. 50 is unrealistic this season certainly, but in the future who knows? What if we trade Rozsival this off season and Girardi teams with Redden for the next 5 years on the PP? I don't know that 50--or more like 45--would be completely out of reach.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:16 PM
KSUpilot

Another great showing tonight for #5! Keep it going!

Old
10-30-2008, 09:34 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Girardi shoots!

My thread is good luck!

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 10:29 PM
KSUpilot

Just wondering...what kind of contract do they have Girardi on

Old
10-30-2008, 10:51 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
$1.5/yr

Old
11-01-2008, 06:53 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Another beautiful pass Keep em coming Dan!

Old
11-05-2008, 03:38 AM
shon

another strong game. I think we are seeing his potential growing every game.
Is he perfect NO but no one is. but his subtle passes, hits etc. gets that puck out.
He gets those shots throw to the net. .....

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 04:46 AM
Chimp

I just have to start by saying, Girardi is one of my favourite players in the league. I love cinderella stories and it's very hard not to like the way he's handling himself out there.

He's had a cold streak together with Tyutin, but handled it fairly well.

Girardi and Staal will be our two top defensemen very soon IMO. They are both excellent in a shut-down role, but can both improve their offensive aspects as well. I like Girardi's sneaky wristshot through traffic alot, because when it gets through, it's always dangerous.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Fataldogg

I've been up and down on this guy his entire time on this team. I do like him though. He plays a simplified game, throws the puck to the net, can score, play solid defensively, but every now and than he'll throw us a curve ball, like he did last year, by playing really poor games. This year he has been consistent. I hope we re-sign him when his contract ends though. I'd take him over Redden / Roszival.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote