HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ron Wilson is freaking hilarious...

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2008, 02:44 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

vCash: 500
Ron Wilson is freaking hilarious...

I love how he keeps on telling the media how lacking his team is, especially in the scoring department, and how he doesn't expect them to make the playoffs or whatever else he has said.

He added another gem tonight.

"If you give him (Lecavalier) a couple chances he'll score and if you give him a three or more, chances are he'll score two goals. Most of our guys need five chances to score once."

Loving the honesty from Wilson this year

Old
10-29-2008, 02:45 AM
19nazzy

I think the Toronto media is going to eat him alive in the next couple of years.

Old
10-29-2008, 03:00 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Ron wilson isn't a coach who really gives a **** what the media says. Its really uncharacteristic to see him rip the team in the media like he is. In san jose he tried to be politicly correct and not rip any players through the media and in public.

This quote is great. he sure threw the team under the bus and is doing it a lot so far. I guess he's trying to make his team play hard through tough love after babying the sharks and it didn't work.

Old
10-29-2008, 03:01 AM
The JT Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Kesler View Post
I love how he keeps on telling the media how lacking his team is, especially in the scoring department, and how he doesn't expect them to make the playoffs or whatever else he has said.

"If you give him (Lecavalier) a couple chances he'll score and if you give him a three or more, chances are he'll score two goals. Most of our guys need five chances to score once."

It may be funny when he says that for now, but the man refuses to take responsibility for his team's failures. His me-first attitude and his passive aggressiveness with his players wears thin on a competitive team. I'm glad he's gone from San Jose. There's a reason that the Sharks looked lazy and disinterested during every game while he was coach. Now that he's gone, the team looks energized and like legitimate contenders.

Old
10-29-2008, 03:53 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I like what he said about Stajan. To paraphrase:

"The guy went to the front of the net, and scored. Then he goes and spends the rest of the night behind the net. You'd think he would've thought 'Y'know? I went to the front of the net and got a goal, maybe I should try that again'. So we'll have to work on that with him."

Wilson's bluntness with his players and the media is quite entertaining, moreso than Paul "Camomile" Maurice's tenure here.

Old
10-29-2008, 03:55 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Kesler View Post

LOL Wilson has always been like this. When the Leafs make the playoffs in the future, he takes his media 'game' to another level.

Old
10-29-2008, 04:17 AM
Bobby Orr
The End

Last week on TSN, Gord Miller remarked about one of Wilson's recent practices.

Ron: "OK, new drill today. I want everyone to skate as fast and hard as they can for 2 minutes and 34 seconds. Ready, go."

After the time is up, an exhausted player asks him why they skated for 2:34?

Ron: "Because that's how long one of Jason Blake's #$@$%@ shifts was the last game".

To pour salt on the wound, Miller adds, "Blake finished last in the drill".

Old
10-29-2008, 04:24 AM
RyanMac

Send a message via AIM to RyanMac Send a message via MSN to RyanMac
He is someone who I figured would be in really tough with added media exposure in Toronto, but he is handling it like a champ.

Old
10-29-2008, 05:06 AM
Crazyhorse

I think it's refreshing.

Old
10-29-2008, 05:15 AM
norrisnick

Hanta yo, baby!

Old
10-29-2008, 06:13 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
I think the Toronto media is going to eat him alive in the next couple of years.
You know absolutely nothing about Ron Wilson if you think there's a single media outlet in the world that can "eat him alive." Frankly, he'll eat the Toronto media alive.

If you think Ron Wilson will have any trouble with the media, you obviously haven't followed him much. The guy eats reporters for dinner and ***** their stories out in the morning. I love his interviews.

He does have a nasty habit of deflecting blame for major losses on his players. It's no surprise Patrick Marleau is tearing up the ice after Wilson was fired; Wilson never liked him, and even though Marleau was made captain during Wilson's tenure, it was the veteran players during the 2003-04 season that pushed for it, not Wilson.

Old
10-29-2008, 07:02 AM
russmatuss

This method of calling out his players is working though, no-one expected us to start off as well as we did. It's a nice change from Paul 'there's a bug on my face' Maurice.

Old
10-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Orr View Post

Ron: "OK, new drill today. I want everyone to skate as fast and hard as they can for 2 minutes and 34 seconds. Ready, go."

Ron: "Because that's how long one of Jason Blake's #$@$%@ shifts was the last game".

That's... awesome.

Old
10-29-2008, 07:55 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Hanta yo, baby!
BAHHAHAHA!!

Oh the memories.

Old
10-29-2008, 07:59 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russmatuss View Post
This method of calling out his players is working though, no-one expected us to start off as well as we did. It's a nice change from Paul 'there's a bug on my face' Maurice.
Yeah, it's amazing what he's getting out of this team with barely any talent. Every single game has been really close except for the Montreal game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
?

It's going to be the other way around. Howard Berger already has beef with him hahaha.

Old
10-29-2008, 08:35 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Heh but I liked Blake's defense: "But in fairness, I was already tired. I had a 2 minute, 34 second shift last game!"

...and then he was a healthy scratch.

Old
10-29-2008, 09:09 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Heh but I liked Blake's defense: "But in fairness, I was already tired. I had a 2 minute, 34 second shift last game!"

...and then he was a healthy scratch.
This is either one of the funniest or saddest threads I have ever seen.

You cannot seriously tell me Jason Blake had a two and a half minute shift, I think he's lucky if he gets that much ice time the entire game. heck, Ovechkin doesn't even take two and a half minute shifts, and he's a maniac. And a darn effective one at that.

Old
10-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
You know absolutely nothing about Ron Wilson if you think there's a single media outlet in the world that can "eat him alive." Frankly, he'll eat the Toronto media alive.
LOL The Toronto Media haven't figured out how to push his buttons yet. That's all.

Give it time...

Old
10-29-2008, 09:27 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:

That is awesome. Although I must admit it's funny to see these threads pop up on Wilson now, it's not like he just came into the league. I guess that's the "Toronto is the center of the universe" or "east coast bias" (whichever you prefer) hockey media for you. I always enjoyed hearing about Wilson when he was in San Jose.

Last edited by FootKnight: 10-29-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old
10-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Blades 0f Steel

It'll wear pretty thin in a couple years when he has some expectations, I can tell you that.

Old
10-29-2008, 09:50 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
That is awesome. Although I must admit it's funny to see these threads pop up on Wilson now, it's not like he just came into the league. I guess that's the "Toronto is the center of the universe" or "east coast bias" (whichever you prefer) hockey media for you. I always enjoyed hearing about Wilson when he was in San Jose.
A Canucks fan started this thread.

That being said, obviously oop here in Cah-nada most of the in depth NHL coverage we get pertains to Canadian teams.

Old
10-29-2008, 09:50 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
LOL The Toronto Media haven't figured out how to push his buttons yet. That's all.

Give it time...
He got into it pretty good with Ryan Rishaug on TSN during the playoffs last year when he was asked if he was disappointed in Patrick Marleau or something like that. Wilson started ripping on TSN/the Canadian media and how they're always looking for something negative to talk about. Which is why I thought it was funny that he would sign in a hockey media epicentre like Toronto.

Old
10-29-2008, 10:00 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
A Canucks fan started this thread.

That being said, obviously oop here in Cah-nada most of the in depth NHL coverage we get pertains to Canadian teams.
Media, the hockey media. Nucks fans can't make threads about Wilson when the media didn't cover him in San Jose. I wasn't commenting on the fans talking about it, it was talking about the media covering him, that's all.

Old
10-29-2008, 10:11 AM
TorFC-TML*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Media, the hockey media. Nucks fans can't make threads about Wilson when the media didn't cover him in San Jose. I wasn't commenting on the fans talking about it, it was talking about the media covering him, that's all.
Is it really that strange that a coach gets more media attention in Toronto than he would in San Jose?

Old
10-29-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russmatuss View Post
Please...the Leafs are 3-3-3 and are in 10th place

You guys know what Ron Wilson is doing by knocking his team on an almost daily basis and throughout the whole offseason? He's lowering expectations...all we've heard the whole summer was how bad the Leafs were going to be, and now, anything they're doing is above expectation so it looks as though they're doing much better when in reality, they're as mediocre as they've been the last 3 or 4 years.

Ron Wilson's a smart man...everyone is buying it

Closed Thread