HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ron Wilson is freaking hilarious...

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2008, 10:27 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
^ Yup, agree completely.

Old
10-29-2008, 10:37 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Please...the Leafs are 3-3-3 and are in 10th place
3-3-3 in Toronto = Parade down Yonge Street

Old
10-29-2008, 10:37 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Please...the Leafs are 3-3-3 and are in 10th place

You guys know what Ron Wilson is doing by knocking his team on an almost daily basis and throughout the whole offseason? He's lowering expectations...all we've heard the whole summer was how bad the Leafs were going to be, and now, anything they're doing is above expectation so it looks as though they're doing much better when in reality, they're as mediocre as they've been the last 3 or 4 years.

Ron Wilson's a smart man...everyone is buying it
True it seems as though hes just agreeing with all the experts by telling them how bad his team is and how they dont have a chance in hell of making the playoffs to lower expectations...its a great move especially for a young team. If my coach was telling everyone we sucked I would play twice as hard.

Old
10-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
True it seems as though hes just agreeing with all the experts by telling them how bad his team is and how they dont have a chance in hell of making the playoffs to lower expectations...its a great move especially for a young team. If my coach was telling everyone we sucked I would play twice as hard.
It is a smart move by a pretty smart coach. It's all about media spin...it's this same media spin that has Leafs fans wondering if Luke Schenn can make Team Canada 2010.

Paul Maurice came in every year and said he expected his team to challenge for the Cup every year, that hightened expectations even though they were unrealistic, so while the Leafs weren't awful last year, nothing they did could measure up to those expectations...the opposite is happening this year, even though the product on the ice is essentially the same

Old
10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Roo

Ron Wilson is doing a great job with everyone.

By lowering expectations with his comments on the team, he gives everyone a reality check. A decent start to the year with a tough schedule is just that, decent. We can win a few games, but we're not incredibly skilled or anything. Its all hard work.

By making such comments to the media, he sets fan expectations. Since we are rebuilding, it is easy to lose sight of the true goal and get caught up in the excitement of some good play.

This is what the team is right now, fast, thin on skill, commited defensively, and hard working. Thats what we need to do though, build our system, establish some hard work and dedication, and over time we will improve in the skill department.

Right now he's giving everyone a chance if they deserve one, he's holding players accountable, and thats why this team is where it is. The rebuild just started, and all he is doing, is stating the obvious truth, and reminding us every time people get caught up in small short term success.

Old
10-29-2008, 10:58 AM
The Smytty Clapper

Ron Wilson appears to be the best possible person I've seen that doesn't give a rat's ass about media, and to trying to give as much of a positive spin as possible to the fans.

Exactly who they need.

Old
10-29-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
Ron Wilson is doing a great job with everyone.

By lowering expectations with his comments on the team, he gives everyone a reality check. A decent start to the year with a tough schedule is just that, decent. We can win a few games, but we're not incredibly skilled or anything. Its all hard work.

By making such comments to the media, he sets fan expectations. Since we are rebuilding, it is easy to lose sight of the true goal and get caught up in the excitement of some good play.

This is what the team is right now, fast, thin on skill, commited defensively, and hard working. Thats what we need to do though, build our system, establish some hard work and dedication, and over time we will improve in the skill department.

Right now he's giving everyone a chance if they deserve one, he's holding players accountable, and thats why this team is where it is. The rebuild just started, and all he is doing, is stating the obvious truth, and reminding us every time people get caught up in small short term success.
Good post

Old
10-29-2008, 11:16 AM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
This is either one of the funniest or saddest threads I have ever seen.

You cannot seriously tell me Jason Blake had a two and a half minute shift, I think he's lucky if he gets that much ice time the entire game. heck, Ovechkin doesn't even take two and a half minute shifts, and he's a maniac. And a darn effective one at that.
But Kovalev...

Old
10-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

It is pretty funny; forget the golf course, the guys will be in therapy after the season ends.

Old
10-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Blackfader*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I like what he said about Stajan. To paraphrase:

"The guy went to the front of the net, and scored. Then he goes and spends the rest of the night behind the net. You'd think he would've thought 'Y'know? I went to the front of the net and got a goal, maybe I should try that again'. So we'll have to work on that with him."

Wilson's bluntness with his players and the media is quite entertaining, moreso than Paul "Camomile" Maurice's tenure here.
Really it seems ingenious. He is motivating them by trying to put them down and tell them they cant do it. Some old reverse psychology kinda and it works. He will do alot of good with that team.

Old
10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Like some said above, what Ron Wilson keeps doing is simply brilliant.

Instead of combatting stories with the Media, he keeps agreeing and by "slamming" some of his players he lowers expectation, like some said above.

Now, Toronto Media keeps things more positive when the TML win when the on ice product is similar, or worse than last year's team.

The Maple Leafs will respect Wilsons coaching, he's a keeper.

Old
10-29-2008, 12:21 PM
hplovecraft

Mark my words, the very reverse will be said by Toronto fans by year 3 of Wilson's tenure, when expectations have arisen, and he refuses to take blame for bad coaching decisions and lazy play. His snarky remarks will be seen as arrogant, and a coach that is out of touch with his players.

I won't say the Toronto media will eat him alive, but they will wear him down until he's glad to go coach some team like Atlanta.

Old
10-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by hplovecraft View Post
Mark my words, the very reverse will be said by Toronto fans by year 3 of Wilson's tenure, when expectations have arisen, and he refuses to take blame for bad coaching decisions and lazy play. His snarky remarks will be seen as arrogant, and a coach that is out of touch with his players.

I won't say the Toronto media will eat him alive, but they will wear him down until he's glad to go coach some team like Atlanta.
I completely concur. I think his tactics right now, while abrasive and at times shocking and likely demoralizing to his players, are the right approach. However, I think he is being too harsh and too negative. I agree it would light a fire under the ***** of some players and motivate them, but I don't see it working as a long term strategy. Eventually players, as professionals, will tire of insults and start a backlash against Wilson. It'd be liking Kaberle saying "Wilson's been around but what does he know, he's never won anything and was just fired a few months ago." Even if a vet like Kaberle said that, it would poorly received and justifyably so. I don't see why he can insult his players abilities like he constantly does.

I think it's only a matter of time until Wilson snaps on the media and a huge incident ensues. I can see the look in his eyes - he is going to crack. It may not be this year but he will eventually throw a huge spaz because he won't be able to take the media in Toronto for too long.

Old
10-29-2008, 12:43 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
It'll wear pretty thin in a couple years when he has some expectations, I can tell you that.
and if a decent team is put together he will make them work. He is a great coach

Old
10-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Ron Wilson is a good choice for now as a coach of the Leafs but he's not going to get them far in the playoffs, no matter what the personnel is. His tactics work fine on teams that have gritty players that don't really have much skill but when skill gets added to the equation, it tends to make them worse because they won't play for a coach who doesn't appreciate them. You can cry about professionalism of the players all you want but getting abused publically over and over is not the way to get your top players to play at the top of their game.

After about year three when expectations rise because the Leafs should improve and get more skill added to their team, the players will stop playing for him and tune him out because of the bashings. In between the bashing is when Ron Wilson does a lot of good teaching and coaching but if nobody is listening, none of it gets applied.

But he will be an excellent transition coach and the media will not eat him alive unless you consider his very sarcastic responses as him cracking. If you do think that is the case, you need to dive into the past of Ron Wilson. Sarcasm is who he is. If you don't get it, you'll misunderstand him and what he says.

Old
10-29-2008, 01:11 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
and if a decent team is put together he will make them work. He is a great coach
Good? Sure. Great? Not bloody likely.

Old
10-29-2008, 01:30 PM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorFC-TML View Post
Is it really that strange that a coach gets more media attention in Toronto than he would in San Jose?
No, it's expected. That's my point.

Old
10-29-2008, 01:43 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday View Post
Good? Sure. Great? Not bloody likely.
Actually I think hes one of the most winning coaches in the NHL currently. Great is likely

Old
10-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hplovecraft View Post
and he refuses to take blame for bad coaching decisions and lazy play.
Lazy play would be on the players, not the coaching staff.

Old
10-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
It is a smart move by a pretty smart coach. It's all about media spin...it's this same media spin that has Leafs fans wondering if Luke Schenn can make Team Canada 2010.

Paul Maurice came in every year and said he expected his team to challenge for the Cup every year, that hightened expectations even though they were unrealistic, so while the Leafs weren't awful last year, nothing they did could measure up to those expectations...the opposite is happening this year, even though the product on the ice is essentially the same
Out of 67 Leaf voters, 2 said he would make the team, and 8 said maybe. Leaf fans aren't wondering that, and we're not just some dumb fanbase who follows the medias every word.

Old
10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
19nazzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
You know absolutely nothing about Ron Wilson if you think there's a single media outlet in the world that can "eat him alive." Frankly, he'll eat the Toronto media alive.

If you think Ron Wilson will have any trouble with the media, you obviously haven't followed him much. The guy eats reporters for dinner and ***** their stories out in the morning. I love his interviews.

He does have a nasty habit of deflecting blame for major losses on his players. It's no surprise Patrick Marleau is tearing up the ice after Wilson was fired; Wilson never liked him, and even though Marleau was made captain during Wilson's tenure, it was the veteran players during the 2003-04 season that pushed for it, not Wilson.
The media in California =/= the media in Toronto. It's been less than 1 month that the regular season has started. If he continues to treat the media like garbage, and the team plays as crappy as people expect lets see how he handles it.

This is the first place where he is an NHL head coach where the market is truly crazy about the team.

Old
10-29-2008, 01:55 PM
SenorDingDong

Yup.. will see in 3 years I doubt he'll have the same approach. He is in the center of the hockey universe now (Montreal being a not so distant second )

Old
10-29-2008, 01:57 PM
karnige
Real Life FTL

A coach can see the potential and errors. If a team lost 3-2 he knows why. this team is rebuilding, and to get the most out of his players he tells it like it is. he is an old school coach. It's what the Leafs need.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:00 PM
eraserhead

Quote:
Two people were wondering that and even they thought it wasnt possible. This is just a foolish comment. Like how the media was continually comparing Price to Dryden and Roy during the playoffs last year...not general consensus.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:01 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
Actually I think hes one of the most winning coaches in the NHL currently. Great is likely
I think the fact that he tried to sound British through the internet makes him right by default.

Closed Thread